AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

5 hours ago, Rekmeister said:

Ahahaa how do you win a tournament with illegal spell targets and an army that is 10 points over the limit? Christ alive MtG might be a scam but at least the events are run with a genuine interest in creating a legitimate competitive environment.

@Diablo Don't worry too much about where you place in your first tourney. The important thing is to focus on which decisions pay off and which ones come back to haunt you. You'll work out your own event-winning list soon enough. That tends to be the way AoS works out; you work out an army full of units you know how to use, and you approach each game with a clear plan. Also, call me crazy, but at 1k I'd rather have a big block of ghouls than lots of small units of ghouls. I like being able to cast Black Hunger on a huge block so that I can wipe anything with my 200 attacks. I also don't like paying for battalions at 1000pts but hey, that's just me.  

+

5 hours ago, Honk said:

If you sell your soul to yourself, they might just put that into the rules...??

best are 40 ghouls, so 3x10 or 20/10 depends on the game and battleline requirements and stuff. Generally speaking more is more, also when the unit US wiped, your courtiers can’t return models so watch out for min size units.

and no, royal family calls in a agk on foot...

okay thx for your Answer ;)

On 10/18/2018 at 8:27 AM, mrbedlam said:

I'm running 1500 points vs Khorne today.

Bringing:

GK on TG as General (Majestic Horror, Flayed Pennant)

Crypt Ghast Courtier (Wraithbow)

Varghulf Courtier

AGK on foot

20 x Ghouls

20 x Ghouls

10X Ghouls

Ghoul Patrol

Soulsnare Shackles

Quicksilver Swords

1 Extra Command Point

Delusion: Crusading Army

Ended up winning vs Khorne with this list. We played First Blood and even after he got to drop a turn 3 blood thirster, I had just managed to take out more units while he continued to attempt to chew through ghouls.  I think I killed 5 full units and he killed 3. I would probably not have run the wraithbow on the Courtier again as it didn't really do a whole lot but I'm willing to give it another try and see what I can do. Other option was to give the Banshee blade to the AGK on Foot and let him do some real work once combat is joined.  Shackles are so good too, super cheap and once they are down Khorne can't get rid of them, plus we ended up being in Shyish so they had a huge spread.

• Thanks 1

So I had an interesting idea for a Flesh Eater list that takes some advantage of all the wizards we can bring.

GK on Giest (Majestic Horror)

GK on ZD

2 x GK

3 x 10 Ghouls

Mortis Engine (ally)

Royal Family

Endless Spells: You have 150 points left over. So Cogs, Geminids, Shackles, Pendulum. Whichever you will get the most out of.

Strategy: First turn Summon a Varghulf who helps reroll failed spells and gives you back ghouls. Mortis Engine gives +1 to cast. All of the GK including the one you summon with the Battalion can cast spells and summon more ghouls and your General can either summon 2 GK and unit of Horror/Flayers or a GK and 2 units of Horror/Flayers. 

The units are all min, so its not as tanky as the lists I normally play but I think it could be a lot of fun and so many spells with 3 very fast moving hard hitting models.(just stay away from Tzeench lists....shudder)

5 minutes ago, mrbedlam said:

Summon a Varghulf who helps reroll failed spells

Not sure what you mean, he rerolls failed hits if you cast a spell within 18“...

the summoned units can grab objectives from the board edge.

I‘d probably save 50 points for an extra CP to have a head start, double vargheist, some horrors and a bunch of ghouls turn 1, just to keep your opponent busy. Cogs may be a good idea to get those charges going

But tricky to grind with min squads and the royal family burns through CPs...

28 minutes ago, Honk said:

Not sure what you mean, he rerolls failed hits if you cast a spell within 18“...

the summoned units can grab objectives from the board edge.

I‘d probably save 50 points for an extra CP to have a head start, double vargheist, some horrors and a bunch of ghouls turn 1, just to keep your opponent busy. Cogs may be a good idea to get those charges going

But tricky to grind with min squads and the royal family burns through CPs...

you're right. Read him wrong.  It will be tricky to grind but you are also able to spit out multiple 10 man units, which iwth 2 Varghulfs if you don't wipe them out completely won't go away. Depends on the list you are up against of course, but it could be very fun. The GKs and MOrtis Engine have to take out specific targets that threaten your troops quickly.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, mrbedlam said:

So I had an interesting idea for a Flesh Eater list that takes some advantage of all the wizards we can bring.

GK on Giest (Majestic Horror)

GK on ZD

2 x GK

3 x 10 Ghouls

Mortis Engine (ally)

Royal Family

Endless Spells: You have 150 points left over. So Cogs, Geminids, Shackles, Pendulum. Whichever you will get the most out of.

Strategy: First turn Summon a Varghulf who helps reroll failed spells and gives you back ghouls. Mortis Engine gives +1 to cast. All of the GK including the one you summon with the Battalion can cast spells and summon more ghouls and your General can either summon 2 GK and unit of Horror/Flayers or a GK and 2 units of Horror/Flayers. 

The units are all min, so its not as tanky as the lists I normally play but I think it could be a lot of fun and so many spells with 3 very fast moving hard hitting models.(just stay away from Tzeench lists....shudder)

I would totally go for bodies and corpse cart instead of Mortis and GKoTG.  

5 hours ago, XReN said:

I would totally go for bodies and corpse cart instead of Mortis and GKoTG.  

maybe? Corpse Cart only either adds a 1 to friendly wizards or subtracts one from enemy wizards, mortis does both. Corpse carts heal ability only effects Deathly Invocation which Ghouls can't use, Mortis' save can heal my big monsters and horrors/flayers. Plus Mortis attacks in general are better. I do agree that I'd like more bodies in the list but that's less summoning over all and that's almost the same thing. Regardless, I won't know until I drop it on the table and see where the weaknesses show up.

So I'm considering getting into FEC. I plan on getting two of the SC boxesand the feast box that comes with 20 ghouls and 3 crypt haunters and probably kitbashing a crypt ghast courtier and crypt haunters coutier. I was wondering going down the ghouls and haunter route: 1. Is it worth it? 2. What battalion out of attendants of the court, abatoir and ghoul patrol is better? Or if I should just model spam and forget the battalions? 

Edited by Heroflegend21

2 hours ago, Heroflegend21 said:

So I'm considering getting into FEC. I plan on getting two of the SC boxesand the feast box that comes with 20 ghouls and 3 crypt haunters and probably kitbashing a crypt ghast courtier and crypt haunters coutier. I was wondering going down the ghouls and haunter route: 1. Is it worth it? 2. What battalion out of attendants of the court, abatoir and ghoul patrol is better? Or if I should just model spam and forget the battalions? 

I think Ghoul Patrol is our best battalion by a wide margin. The two main strengths of this current iteration of FEC is our board control with attrition and our big baddies that can summon.  Lists with a combo of big monsters and hordes of Ghouls seem to be our best builds right now.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

I think Ghoul Patrol is our best battalion by a wide margin. The two main strengths of this current iteration of FEC is our board control with attrition and our big baddies that can summon.  Lists with a combo of big monsters and hordes of Ghouls seem to be our best builds right now.   

I can see ghoul patrol being good with the D6 extra models a turn and with the FAQ saying that it can put the unit above starting strength (which is awesome!) But with that how big should the ghouls in ghoul patrol be?

17 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

but as long as it remains above the starting strength, courtiers can't add back units right?

The courtiers ability is bound to slain models and not to unit strength... so you should be able to fill up to 25 models. You set a new unit size when GP adds models above starting/current unit size. Following turns you can return slain models up to the current limit again.

24 minutes ago, Heroflegend21 said:

But with that how big should the ghouls in ghoul patrol be?

Tricky, since my reading of the rules is 40 ghouls max, I wouldn’t go beyond that in matched play. So under 40...

since 10 ghouls can’t really take any heat, especially not as ambush/outflankers, I go above 10

leaving me with 20-30 depending on the game and of course the purpose of the unit, heavy grind 30, flanking 20, sneaky backstabbing or speedbumping maybe 10 despite my rules   XD

usually 20/20/10 seems reasonable, 30/10/10 if focus is necessary 

Its been discussed a bit on pages beforehand but in 2k I like to go 30/20/20  most of the time. My standard list is:
GK on TG (Majestic, Banshee Blade)

Varghulf Courtier

Crypt Ghoul Courtier (Flayed Pennant)

2 x GK on Foot

30/20/20 ghouls

Ghoul Patrol

Royal Family

Chronomantic Cogs

On 10/27/2018 at 10:31 PM, Honk said:

Tricky, since my reading of the rules is 40 ghouls max, I wouldn’t go beyond that in matched play. So under 40...

If you don't feel like doing it thats fine, but for the sake of arguement I'd say there is nothing directly stoping you from going over 40, and warscroll says that a unit of ghouls can have 10 or more models

19 minutes ago, XReN said:

there is nothing directly stoping you from going over 40,

Well, there is a maximum number of models stated in the pitched battle profiles for matched play... but there are voices out there claiming this is for purchase reasons only.

but I‘m not versed enough in deep rule lawyering to be sure. Might be some faq/designer whatever out there clarifying this, or in best GW style not

XD

on the other side, if your opponent ignores 40 ambushing ghouls, he deserves to end up with 46 next round  ;-D

Edited by Honk

The Designer’s commentary states that you can go above starting strenght with Ghoul Patrol. So above 40 is possible. Till they FAQ it, you can go above 40 RAW.

one question: Is flayers’ ability countered by the -1 to hit?

Last, what list are we talking about?

the 3TG+Arkhan?