AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Picked up a used FEC lot on the cheap.  Never played them before and don't have the tome, but curious if I have something decently playable here, or close to playable with some minor purchases?  Here's what was in the lot:

• 1x GKoT
  • 1x Terrorgheist
  • 1x GK on Foot
  • 19x Ghouls
  • 3x Crypt Flayers
  • 1x Crypt Haunter Courtier
  • 16x Crypt Horrors
  • 1x Vargulf Courtier
  • 1x Crypt Infernal Courtier
  • 1x Crypt Ghast Courtier

I have another 9 Vargheists I'm sure I could proxy in as more Flayers, and lots of Death that could be allied in as appropriate.

Thx.

1 hour ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

curious if I have something decently playable

Haunter as general, double GkoTg and a varghulf 

6/6/3 haunter squads, 10 ghouls

2k right on spot... maybe summon flayers for fast backline harassment, but that’s details

Kinda like on the last page. If you don’t know where to store your moneybags, think about the zombiedragon (or proxy the vampirelord).

Or else more ghouls, like more more ghouls.

Edited by Honk

Ghoul kingTerrorgueist  with etheral amulet and double invocation   ----CHANGE   Gryph -feather charm

Ghoul king

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

(10 ghouls from ghoul king)

( 6 horrors/flyers from GKT) 

I think he gryph- Feahter is much better than ethereal amulet for save 4+.   Ethereal amulet is better for VLOZD(+3) but not for Flesh eater(+4) monsters!

Got my first game in with FEC at 500pts. My list is attached.

Played against Slaanesh Mortals:

Lord on Boobsnake - General, two command traits, was -2 to hit, and had -3 rend artifact.

5 Knights

5 Chaos Warriors

5 Chaos Warriors w/ Greatweapons

Was a loss on turn 4. We played a custom scenario that main objective was 2pts, 4 outside ones were 1pt a piece. I held the mid and one outside. Eventually the Ghouls ground down the Chaos Warriors. So that was cool.

Downside is my Flayers and Hero couldn't do anything to his General. All I did was give him DP to summon. It was pretty ******. Killed 3 of his Knights turn 1, but in his turn he ran them away. So had to deal with the General. Was trying to stay going 2nd all game but had to take a turn 3 double. Tried to rez two Flayers and only got 1. Accomplished nothing of note. Then got doubled back on 4 and lost my General. Conceded at that time.

With all the - to hit out there, how are y'all making the Flayers work? Also, couldn't get much going from the Bravery screams. Don't know if I'm doing it wrong.

IMG_2838.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James S said:

how are y'all making the Flayers work?

Mostly you just don’t... (shrug)

best way to deal with such a general: 20 ghouls and a courtier. Yes pal/gal/Fluid let it all out of your system... ignore/drown in bodies.

with the grim garland their scream is half decent, so next time let the pinky prince slaughter some ghouls, while you destroy his stupid knights with screams and impalements. And remember, only fight the fights you can win, I know it hurts your noble knightly soul, but sometimes retreat (flying over the unit maybe) might be wiser, than being stuck in a stupid brawl against a boobie-snake-thing with anger management issues...

best of luck next time

• Like 1

Appreciate the feedback, @Honk! I realized close to end of the game the best I could do was spam Ghouls and just let him kill some. Would have stopped DP generation for sure.

Definitely a learning curve as to what I need to go after with these units. I enjoyed the flying movement, but the Boobsnake is way faster. Lol.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:20 PM, James S said:

Appreciate the feedback, @Honk! I realized close to end of the game the best I could do was spam Ghouls and just let him kill some. Would have stopped DP generation for sure.

Basically yeah. FEC lack for rend outside of Vhargulfs and Behemoths, so with a general like that you're best off just trying to tarpit them.

Edited by Inqy
  • Like 1

Hello everyone

I recently bought a small force of flesh eaters courts just for the fun of painting, and playing small games.  I currently bought the following new and un-built:

• 2 Start collecting
  • 1 Nightheast box
  • 1 single ghoul (used for ghast courtier)

I have two questions

• How should I build my monsters (dragon or terrorghiest) and the heavier troops (horrors or flayers)?
  • Which theme should I go for? 

- Classic Ghouls in the graveyard / crypt: An army of ghouls with tile bases, spooky candles with ethereal glow effects, and bits from the garden of morr terrain on the bases / display board.  The army with be pale flesh, black void-less eyes, and a lot of blood effects. 

• Pros:  It would go with my Nighthaunts and death rattles basing scheme. 
  • Cons:  Its a classic look, but not as original as my other idea. 

-Cannibals:  I am a big fan of creature feature and exploitation films, so an army of dark skin cannibals with tattoos on jungle bases is an interesting idea.  The theme for the force would be they worship Nagash as a giant bat of death, night and feasting (similar to Mayan god Camazotz).  The force would be painted as dark skin, white skull tattoos, lots of blood effects and albino bats / terrorgheists.  Bases would be Mayan stone and statues with jungles plants. 

• Pros: Unique, and a fun theme
  • Cons: It's stepping a bit on the theme of my other armies (lizardmen and bonesplitterz).   It will be a bit more work as well. 

Thoughts and thanks for reading. 

@Uprising Paint up a test ghoul in each scheme and see which you prefer. Varghulf is a painters dream so make sure to pick one up. I wouldn't bother building Crypt Flayers as lots of armies have bravery 10 so you won't exactly kill much with their screech attack. In regards to the behemoths I'd build one of each as they both have spells you generally will want access to.

It is a bit tricky, but think about magnetizing the horrors/flayers... 

flayer can be quite good not only in the dw battalion, but also as fast harassers or ambushing enemies backlines. The scream is pretty meh, but the mortal wound output in melee can be really good against high armor targets. buff/debuff impacts can be awesome to crippling. with grim garland and black hunger spell crazy mw output , but against 20 plaquebeares just wasted. The roll of a 6 always results in a mortal wound, but still...

horrors are pretty fast, really gain from a nearby king and hit like a brick...gravestone to the face.  When in doubt, horrors are easier to play, they will smear and paste through 20 plaquebearers in no time.

But high saves from fulminators, treelords and such filth can ruin the fun. This 3+ rerolling 1s or even 2+ rerolling 1s calls for a mortal wound spam (flayers) or to be buried beneath ghouls...

1 hour ago, Honk said:

It is a bit tricky, but think about magnetizing the horrors/flayers... 

flayer can be quite good not only in the dw battalion, but also as fast harassers or ambushing enemies backlines. The scream is pretty meh, but the mortal wound output in melee can be really good against high armor targets. buff/debuff impacts can be awesome to crippling. with grim garland and black hunger spell crazy mw output , but against 20 plaquebeares just wasted. The roll of a 6 always results in a mortal wound, but still...

horrors are pretty fast, really gain from a nearby king and hit like a brick...gravestone to the face.  When in doubt, horrors are easier to play, they will smear and paste through 20 plaquebearers in no time.

But high saves from fulminators, treelords and such filth can ruin the fun. This 3+ rerolling 1s or even 2+ rerolling 1s calls for a mortal wound spam (flayers) or to be buried beneath ghouls...

It's easy to magnetize them. I've done it, video in preparation, anyway really easy, you have only to pay attention to the the shoulders to modify them, everything else it's really easy.

The flyers are not bad if you think about combining the things. You have the Grim garland that can help you quite a lot, moreover you can add as allies skeletons and morghasts that gives other maluses eventually. It also depend on your opponents, not everyone has baravery 10 like deamons and death.

Something that I find really great about is using the GKoTG general with the majectic horror, in such a way you can summon other 2 units of horrors/flyers to add to your army, so you donìt havee quite to choice, simply to improve what you need about^^

Greetings my fellow monarchs! I am a recent convert and seek advice for my fledgling court. More specifically with regards to allies.  Does anything benefit us overly much? I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, so I thought to ask. Our options are somewhat limited (even amongst this allegiance), but I was rather struck by the idea of Morghasts. The reason for this is two fold. 1: Thematically. Some of the flesh eater courts are supposed to revere Nagash as a beneficent quasi-Sigmar like figure. The morghasts are Nagash's enforcers, so to these courts I picture them being seen as holy angels supporting our righteous crusades.  2: Rend. So, we don't seem to have much in the way of rend. Especially not at the -2 level. Morghasts are reasonably fast (sitting between horrors and flayers) and if you take them as harbingers they're much more likely to make those long bomb charges. Especially against the likes of the (accursed) high save models  they could provide that cutting edge … maybe.  Am I crazy? (ironic here , I know)

Thoughts your highnesses?

TLDR: Are allies worth considering for FEC. If so, What?

15 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Greetings my fellow monarchs! I am a recent convert and seek advice for my fledgling court. More specifically with regards to allies.  Does anything benefit us overly much? I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere in this thread, so I thought to ask. Our options are somewhat limited (even amongst this allegiance), but I was rather struck by the idea of Morghasts. The reason for this is two fold. 1: Thematically. Some of the flesh eater courts are supposed to revere Nagash as a beneficent quasi-Sigmar like figure. The morghasts are Nagash's enforcers, so to these courts I picture them being seen as holy angels supporting our righteous crusades.  2: Rend. So, we don't seem to have much in the way of rend. Especially not at the -2 level. Morghasts are reasonably fast (sitting between horrors and flayers) and if you take them as harbingers they're much more likely to make those long bomb charges. Especially against the likes of the (accursed) high save models  they could provide that cutting edge … maybe.  Am I crazy? (ironic here , I know)

Thoughts your highnesses?

TLDR: Are allies worth considering for FEC. If so, What?

You can also think to realize some conversion for the morghasts so that they can be some type of corrupted vampires, something like the crypt flyers more corrupted or similar.

You're ot crazy. I try similar lists usually, there are only two torubles:

1) The FEC work really ggood with the warscroll battlaions and support each other so you find really few points remaining

2) the morghasts can't be healed or take the saving fro the deathless minions or similar, so you are to pay a lot of attention about them, moreoveer if you consider that you can only include only a unit of 2 morghast in your list, so you have to see if they can be useful or not 

42 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

as a beneficent quasi-Sigmar like figure. 

Really don’t know how you dare to compare our benevolent lord and master to that sniffling thief... and all that lightning stuff is also really bad taste

to give my not-humble opinion on your enquiry:

morghast are pretty good, and if used for long bomb charges, you don’t miss the lack of deathless minions, since you wouldn’t have one in a LoN setting either. So, if you like the style, go ahead 2x2 harbringers with scythes. Buuut, that’s 440 points... how about a GkoTg who saves 40 points and summons flayers into the backfield?! Or a gkozd summoning a varghulf, supporting your backfieldflayers... 

and making your list legal again...

so only two for 220, not really sure if that’s leaving an impression... 12hp better save than flayers/horrors, but no real synergies and no regeneration. Black Hunger does not mention a KEYWORD so not sure how the ruling is.

If anything, I would bring some ladies to the dance, coven throne. Fast, good damage, great spell and awesome command ability...

or sneak in a vamp lord for extra attacks command ability 

Edited by Honk

12 hours ago, deynon said:

It's easy to magnetize them. I've done it, video in preparation, anyway really easy, you have only to pay attention to the the shoulders to modify them, everything else it's really easy.

The flyers are not bad if you think about combining the things. You have the Grim garland that can help you quite a lot, moreover you can add as allies skeletons and morghasts that gives other maluses eventually. It also depend on your opponents, not everyone has baravery 10 like deamons and death.

Something that I find really great about is using the GKoTG general with the majectic horror, in such a way you can summon other 2 units of horrors/flyers to add to your army, so you donìt havee quite to choice, simply to improve what you need about^^

Looking forward to seeing how you’ve magnetised them - I’ve got a box of wings ready and waiting!?

7 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

Looking forward to seeing how you’ve magnetised them

I suggest 3mm (1/8.5“) neodymium magnets, I used 2mm (1/12“) and they are a notch too weak. 

pro tips:

1. try to enter a meditative state of calmness and happiness before starting.

2. Pre sort and mark all the arms and wings. Finding the right right wing  for body Typ A after half a year is kind of tiresome.

3. Pre-sort and mark the facing of the magnet triplets (body-arm-wing). when you realize, that your wing repels the body, strong language helps (is black metal gansta rap a thing?!)

4. paint figures afterwards... 

but maybe I‘m just not good, I first rushed through the kits, to build up my deadwatch squad, painted everything, now I have a pile of unsorted arms in rough basecoat flying around.

• Like 1