AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

49 minutes ago, docofallplagues said:

I feel like it's intended as a rule to allow you to fight with two units in a row if you charged, so it'll be savage strike attacks, then the regular GKoTG, then the opponent picks.

That's how I interpreted it. In 40k I know they explicitly spell out who activates first after charging units are done fighting, but they didn't here.

Being able to potentially fight three times in a row with two units is exciting!

Edited by Shirtripper

I’ve been reading this article on charge phase stuff and how to get around really shooty stuff, but it all seems to be skewed against melee armies. Is there any hope for a new player like me to actually win games against these shooty armies like Lumineth? Or should I just go as hard as I can and accept the L?

5 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

just go as hard as I can and accept the L?

🙀 Vhat are you Talking about? Sure , 30 sentinels in overwatch are going to hurt… 

sure syar CA is a big pile (like the coven throne spell 😈🤣), but LRL are the cheese and like well played KO tricky to pin down and outscore.  
blisterskin redeploy, would let you throw a terrorgheist in their backfield, screaming d6 off the board, then try the charge or just leaving the distraction carnifex to stir things up… leaving the rest to score

4 hours ago, Honk said:

🙀 Vhat are you Talking about? Sure , 30 sentinels in overwatch are going to hurt… 

sure syar CA is a big pile (like the coven throne spell 😈🤣), but LRL are the cheese and like well played KO tricky to pin down and outscore.  
blisterskin redeploy, would let you throw a terrorgheist in their backfield, screaming d6 off the board, then try the charge or just leaving the distraction carnifex to stir things up… leaving the rest to score

Wait whoa whoa, do LRL have Bravery 6?

Im at least glad there’s hope that I can put up a surprising fight

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

do LRL have Bravery 6

Wardens and sentinels do… cavalry, Elite at 7, heroes around 8…

maybe think about bringing a horroghast 🤡🙀☠️ That’ll level the field for gheisties and flayer screams, show them how to really cheese the mortal wounds spam

3 hours ago, Honk said:

Wardens and sentinels do… cavalry, Elite at 7, heroes around 8…

maybe think about bringing a horroghast 🤡🙀☠️ That’ll level the field for gheisties and flayer screams, show them how to really cheese the mortal wounds spam

I’m so happy that I have some good ways to take care of that problem... should it ever really present itself. I hope my LGS won’t throw LRL at me while I’m still getting used to things, haha. They seem to be nicer than that.

As for the Horrorghast... we’ll see. I really want to run a Zombie Dragon and I’d have to cut the big guy to fit in a ghast.

...Also isn’t there a rule now that subfaction stuff turns off your rules? Or did I read/hear that wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I got Horrorghast mixed up with Mourngul, haha!

Edited by KibaWildFang
  • Haha 1

Here's what I'm practicing with next week more out of curiousity than anything.  I wanted to max out points on heavy hitting single models and use the summoning of the two Ghouls Kings and two Archregents to contest objectives alongside the three MSU of Ghouls. Thanks to the new rules regarding combat, the idea would be for a Ghoul King + Varghulf to tag team a unit by having the GKoTG fight first then Feeding Frenzy followed by a Varghulf cleaning up afterwards thanks to buffs from the Archregent and GK.

Thanks to the Mawshard being able to potentially pick out a unit leader means a unit could leave a enemy unit potentially unable to receive commands if they are left out to dry.  Thoughts?

FEC - Gristlegore

Warlord Battalion
GKoTG 445
--General: Savage Strike
--Artefact: Heart of the Gargant Feast
Archregent 245
--Artefact: Dermal Robe
Varghulf Courtier 160
Crypt Ghouls x10 95
Crypt Ghouls x10 95

Warlord Battalion
GKoTG 445
--Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard
Archregent 245
Varghulf Courtier 160
Crypt Ghouls x10 95

Edited by Shirtripper
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Shirtripper said:

Thoughts?

The list looks top heavy, but should be a lot of fun. And summoning in 2x20 ghouls will put the pressure on the opponent.

Since you can cast the regent  hunger spell only once, you could think about only a king, freeing up 80 points for things…

38 minutes ago, Honk said:

The list looks top heavy, but should be a lot of fun. And summoning in 2x20 ghouls will put the pressure on the opponent.

Since you can cast the regent  hunger spell only once, you could think about only a king, freeing up 80 points for things…

That does sound pretty good. Yeah it only summons 10 ghouls, but that does make a decent hero to run with some of those battleline ghouls. Also not many people will see a regular ghoul king coming I feel.

4 hours ago, Honk said:

With all my spellcasting, I'm tempted to do just that and take an endless spell of some sorts. 

That way I can maximize damage on the general when it goes to fight. Maybe have the general also cast Flaming Weapon on himself?

3 hours ago, Shirtripper said:

Maybe have the general also cast Flaming Weapon on himself?

Tricky question….
My GkoTg general with mount trait deletes most things on the charge. With frenzy if needed. And has cast „unholy vitality“ on himself… and has the hunger spell from the regent

if you‘re fielding double gheists, you might want to buff the other one too,  needing different spells. So maybe he gets the kings hunger spell, and mystic shield or HE casts flaming weapon on himself, since he doesn’t have the mount trait. To secure a decent damage output.

6 hours ago, Honk said:

Tricky question….
My GkoTg general with mount trait deletes most things on the charge. With frenzy if needed. And has cast „unholy vitality“ on himself… and has the hunger spell from the regent

if you‘re fielding double gheists, you might want to buff the other one too,  needing different spells. So maybe he gets the kings hunger spell, and mystic shield or HE casts flaming weapon on himself, since he doesn’t have the mount trait. To secure a decent damage output.

Well this might give me a good reason to finally field a GKoZD since they are the same points now, that way I can get wound re-rolls without using an artifact slot.

Nothing much of import here, just hobbytalk.

It’s taking a while to get the army painted. Mainly because anything that isn’t a ghoul, I’m painting in pieces. Which means before I glue them, I gotta have them painted how I like. My first squad of flayers is a pain because I built them all first then started painting. Won’t make that mistake again, haha. Right now I’m tackling the GKoRTG. Getting the gheist flesh down over the ribs is tough, need really good light to see whats flesh and whats bone, but that should be the hardest part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

Nothing much of import here, just hobbytalk.

It’s taking a while to get the army painted. Mainly because anything that isn’t a ghoul, I’m painting in pieces. Which means before I glue them, I gotta have them painted how I like. My first squad of flayers is a pain because I built them all first then started painting. Won’t make that mistake again, haha. Right now I’m tackling the GKoRTG. Getting the gheist flesh down over the ribs is tough, need really good light to see whats flesh and whats bone, but that should be the hardest part.

I have this exact issue, I got my flesh eaters fairly early in my warhammer career so every single flayer, horror, ghoul and gheist/dragon is completely built. Worse yet all the ghouls still have mould lines on 😧 you've hit the spot though that flayers are the worst to do fully built.

3 hours ago, docofallplagues said:

I have this exact issue, I got my flesh eaters fairly early in my warhammer career so every single flayer, horror, ghoul and gheist/dragon is completely built. Worse yet all the ghouls still have mould lines on 😧 you've hit the spot though that flayers are the worst to do fully built.

They are but I’m actually managing to get it done fairly well. Just... from here on out they get painted piecemeal.

43 minutes ago, Bozly said:

Hey I've heard of Rob's Smash Bat list but I'm unable to find it its where you just get a varghulf absurdly buffed and its a smash captain basically. Does anyone have this list? 

I do not, but it's basically a Varghulf as your general in Hollowmourne with the Grave Robber command trait, the Billious Decanter aretfact, and buffed with the D3 extra attacks spell.

With all of that you get a Varghulf that if within 3" of 10 or more enemy models, within 3" of an enemy hero with an artefact, and with 3 extra attacks from the Archregent could have the following:

12/3+/3+/-1/3D

7/3+/2+/-2/d3+1

Re-rolling failed hits

Rerollings 1's to wound if it charged

And can feeding frenzy

38 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

I do not, but it's basically a Varghulf as your general in Hollowmourne with the Grave Robber command trait, the Billious Decanter aretfact, and buffed with the D3 extra attacks spell.

With all of that you get a Varghulf that if within 3" of 10 or more enemy models, within 3" of an enemy hero with an artefact, and with 3 extra attacks from the Archregent could have the following:

12/3+/3+/-1/3D

7/3+/2+/-2/d3+1

Re-rolling failed hits

And can feeding frenzy

Yeah that sounds pretty hot thats a lot of dead stuff if it gets in combat

On 6/26/2021 at 8:18 PM, Shirtripper said:

12/3+/3+/-1/3D

7/3+/2+/-2/d3+1

Re-rolling failed hits

And can feeding frenzy

Oh, I thought you gave it Corpsefane Gauntlet?

On 6/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, Shirtripper said:

Pretty good for a 170 point model!

Wait isn’t it still 160?

28 minutes ago, KibaWildFang said:

Oh, I thought you gave it Corpsefane Gauntlet?

Wait isn’t it still 160?

The general in hollowmourne doesn't have to have the corpsefane gauntlet, it just has to be the first artefact given out to a hero. I usually give it to my Ghoul King on Terrorgheist.

And yes, definitely still 160 points, I cannot read apparently lol

On 6/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, Shirtripper said:

The general in hollowmourne doesn't have to have the corpsefane gauntlet, it just has to be the first artefact given out to a hero. I usually give it to my Ghoul King on Terrorgheist.

And yes, definitely still 160 points, I cannot read apparently lol

So the Billious decanter goes to it eh? Interesting. And the Hollowmourne allegiance ability makes it even better?

Honest question to be considered, as always I’d love your input.

So, Grand Court Hollowmourne. I’m wondering if it is going to be as relevant as before without Warscroll Batallions.

The whole draw was for Royal Mordants Smashbat. The Horrors you had to take had the benefit of at least being Battleline in Hollowmourne, and pretty much all your good units benefitted from the faction trait and even the command ability. The Corpsefane Gauntlet is a decent mandatory relic, and the Varghulf seems to enjoy the Billious Decanter alongside the General Trait.

But now Mordants aren’t going to be a thing in most games, which means Horrors are probably going to see less play. Not dissing Horrors, but even with the discount, I don’t think they’re as favored compared to Flayers, especially now that Unleash Hell is a thing.

Thematically, I love Hollowmourne. They’re the first Flesh-Eater Court I heard about, and what got me interested in the lore. Personally, I feel sad they’re probably gonna be less relevant now. I guess the question is, what is everyone’s input?

Edited by KibaWildFang

12 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

So, Grand Court Hollowmourne. I’m wondering if it is going to be as relevant as before without Warscroll Batallions.

I'm going to be honest with the massive amount of +1 to saves that armies are getting from all out defence, mystic shield and others I fail to see horrors doing enough due to lack of rend or mortals. It could be interesting to run Hollowmourne not for the sake of horrors but for buffing flayers since the extra movement isn't as necessary in AOS3 that they'd get from blisterskin. I still think blisterskin would be better but the grand court itself isn't useless IMO.