AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

18 minutes ago, Honk said:

I tried a bravery bomb in LoN, but my positioning was...lacking.

But if the stars align and the portents are right, it can be devastating. 

I find the normal damage trade off for mortals utterly fascinating.  My experience with Morghasts outside the Grandhost is they suck.  Believe me I even tried with OBR when the book came out.  Fundamentally the warscroll is off by at least one attack, maybe more with power creep.

Ready to know if an army filled with individually substandard options (Morghasts, Flayers, Horrorgast) can turn it around through combo-kung-fu.

18 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

I find the normal damage trade off for mortals utterly fascinating.  My experience with Morghasts outside the Grandhost is they suck.  Believe me I even tried with OBR when the book came out.  Fundamentally the warscroll is off by at least one attack, maybe more with power creep.

Ready to know if an army filled with individually substandard options (Morghasts, Flayers, Horrorgast) can turn it around through combo-kung-fu.

The way to play harbingers in OBR is Deathglaive with Petrifex. 

The way to play them here is something of a bravery spreader, and can quickly grab objectives or hit something with halberds if necessary.

I just realized even KO boats have 8 bravery so with some double turn luck you can really mess with them

On 3/10/2021 at 5:09 PM, Evil Bob said:

Would you be willing to share it and have a chat?

My problems with most Blisterskin lists is scraping together enough functional hammers.  In the back of my mind I look at Flayers (which were my favorite before the current book dropped) and knowing their capacities plus costs compared to other books it left me a bit depressed.  With power creep I’m pushed towards more extremes.  So anyone with success using  multi-AARs and Flayers has my attention.

Sorry for delay but happy to discuss this fun army.

Looking back through my lists I actually played two variations on a Blisterskin plus Deadwatch battalion.  One was double Archregent and one was Archregent plus on foot Abhorrant Ghoul King (in both cases trying to leverage the free summons from Charnel Throne to preserve CP for extra pile-in).

The commonality to both lists is a Deadwatch Battalion of 6x/6x/3x Crypt Flayers and Crypt Infernal Courtier and an Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist.  The AGKonRT in these lists honestly was performing mainly as a Distraction Carnifex.  Typically it would draw out my opponent’s best units in an attempt to one shot it, positioning me to get a full unit of Crypt Flayers into them.  When my opponent didn’t take the bait great, got to go fishing for 6s and those big mouth MWs.  The real key though was making sure I could get all 6 of my Crypt Flayers into Combat when they did attack and the maximizing the Muster abilities of the Crypt Infernal Courtier and Varghulf(s) I would summon to keep them in combat.  Finally using the movement (including using the Blisterskin CA and/or the AGKonRT summons to steal an objective with a 3x unit) in the list to outmaneuver an opponent in late rounds usually proved key.

In the double Archie list that pretty much uses up the points.  Either summon two Varghulfs to make sure I’m rolling maximum dice (and occasionally killing a 5W Hero at a key moment) when I Muster or occasionally drop a big block of Ghouls on an objective.  This list did sometimes struggle for CP so tried the option where I swapped out one Archie for a basic Abhorrant with the Balewind Vortex and an extra CP.  Still a free summons with Charnel Throne, albeit limited to 10x Ghouls but again, can be useful on an objective (and benefit from some of the Muster dice I can’t use on Flayers) but the extra CP could be huge and the Balewind’s extended range increased probability of my getting the Archregent’s spell on who I wanted even if I now only had a single caster.

Fully acknowledge wasn’t playing top tier tournament lists but gave me some tools against lists with multiple Frostlords on Stonehorn or double Mawcrusha Ironjawz lists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

two variations on a Blisterskin plus Deadwatch battalion.

The speed and CA of Blisterskin is nice, I ran similar lists as feast day with the infernal as general and the wizard trait... not as mobile but pretty devastating with the free frenzy

6 minutes ago, Honk said:

The speed and CA of Blisterskin is nice, I ran similar lists as feast day with the infernal as general and the wizard trait... not as mobile but pretty devastating with the free frenzy

I have always wanted to run Feast Day but have been out off by only having Crypt Ghouls as battle line.  I’ve had luck using one big blob plus Chalice but worry three units if Crypt Ghouls too restrictive for the lists I typically favor.

30 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

having Crypt Ghouls as battle line

The infernal is the general, making the flayers battleline... and makes the infernal another wizard with the „dark acolyte“ trait, one more casting can be great.

Black hunger spell, an extra FEC spell and somebody to recast the chalice.

my go to chief in charge especially for feast day

27 minutes ago, Honk said:

The infernal is the general, making the flayers battleline... and makes the infernal another wizard with the „dark acolyte“ trait, one more casting can be great.

Right.  Always focus on the bolded sub-faction and just so used to Archie as General.  Have a narrative tournament in Zoom League that I’ve already submitted a non-FEC list to but will have to go back and try that,

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Honk said:

When going for an infernally fun-zees list I go in a similar direction.

Feast Day 4-Drop

Spoiler

Deathwatch

Crypt Infernal Courier w/ Cruel Taskmaster (General)

6x Crypt Infernals

6x Crypt Infernals

6x Crypt Infernals

Loose Stuff

Arcregent  w/ Dermal Robe

Crypt Ghast Courtier  w/ Carrion Wand

40x Ghouls

Endless Spells

Corpsemare Stampede & Suffocating Gravetide

or

Chalice of Ushoran & Balewind Vortex

• Sometimes the Infernals are 9/6/3
  • Sometimes the loose stuff is a GKoTG and Varghulf
  • Always played for fun

Feast Day is my crack.  Deadwatch my dirty little secret.  That’s why I am always so interested in actual Blisterskin lists.  Mine always end up centered on a Royal Mordant warscroll battalion.

Edited by Evil Bob
Page break was unintentional.
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i want to get back into the game and Fec seem a good interesting way to do it without being a terribly expensive army thats not sec. Whats a standard FEC list that can compete? I understand that they arent top tier but i want the best of what they can do

1 hour ago, Bozly said:

Whats a standard FEC list that can compete?

See above...

Royal mordants battalion let’s you slingshot something across the field for a nice alpha. buffed up flayers or the so called smashbat.

smashcaptain Varghulf general in hollowmourne and Royal mordants moves 10“+ run (~7“) during the hero phase, then again during the movement phase...the CA allows to run&charge with +1“ sooo... 36“ average and a 2d6 charge with +1“... 44“ threat range in THEORY

downside:reality: you have to land in between movement and running with 3“ distance to enemy units and consider terrain 

when your Archregent has cast his buffs your bat can dish out heaps of damage, either to hordes or better to an hero wearing an artifact. Feeding frenzy and enjoy...

Same goes for Royal mordant flayers:
Archregent casts his hunger spell, the transformation spell for 4“ extra... no run& charge, but 16“ movement (no landing) twice with charge...statistics say 39“ (Archregent summons in a Support varghulf for charge reroll and feeding frenzy) 

Royal mordants are extremely fast suicide chargers...

deadwatch has flayers that fight in your herophase with possible feeding frenzy... if you double turn, they can eat almost anything. 

gristlegore Royal Menagerie is Circus 🎪 and should be treated as such... having 4 terrorgheists healing 2d3 hp rampaging across the field with a first strike GkoTg won’t win on points, but win on style points

horrors sadly have no mortal wounds or rend, but if you fight against LoNagash or Nurgle they can dish out quite nicely. Meta wise they loose against flayers, soooo...

we are:

hero dependent magic reliant fast melee glasscannons

If your opponent can hard counter you, (tzeentch or Kharadron) your positioning and target priority needs to be Chefs kiss or you’ll die in an epic charge (scream „for the lady“ and play „Iron Maiden - The Trooper“ or die listening to „God Dethroned - Breathing through Blood“)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Honk said:

See above...

Royal mordants battalion let’s you slingshot something across the field for a nice alpha. buffed up flayers or the so called smashbat.

smashcaptain Varghulf general in hollowmourne and Royal mordants moves 10“+ run (~7“) during the hero phase, then again during the movement phase...the CA allows to run&charge with +1“ sooo... 36“ average and a 2d6 charge with +1“... 44“ threat range in THEORY

downside:reality: you have to land in between movement and running with 3“ distance to enemy units and consider terrain 

when your Archregent has cast his buffs your bat can dish out heaps of damage, either to hordes or better to an hero wearing an artifact. Feeding frenzy and enjoy...

Same goes for Royal mordant flayers:
Archregent casts his hunger spell, the transformation spell for 4“ extra... no run& charge, but 16“ movement (no landing) twice with charge...statistics say 39“ (Archregent summons in a Support varghulf for charge reroll and feeding frenzy) 

Royal mordants are extremely fast suicide chargers...

deadwatch has flayers that fight in your herophase with possible feeding frenzy... if you double turn, they can eat almost anything. 

gristlegore Royal Menagerie is Circus 🎪 and should be treated as such... having 4 terrorgheists healing 2d3 hp rampaging across the field with a first strike GkoTg won’t win on points, but win on style points

horrors sadly have no mortal wounds or rend, but if you fight against LoNagash or Nurgle they can dish out quite nicely. Meta wise they loose against flayers, soooo...

we are:

hero dependent magic reliant fast melee glasscannons

If your opponent can hard counter you, (tzeentch or Kharadron) your positioning and target priority needs to be Chefs kiss or you’ll die in an epic charge (scream „for the lady“ and play „Iron Maiden - The Trooper“ or die listening to „God Dethroned - Breathing through Blood“)

This was exactly what im looking for i really appreciate you

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Honk said:

I am curious though: seeing how in the most popular builds I've seen you don't even really take ghouls, just summon them in... how would you deal with Kharadrons or Tzeentch? Especially if they go first? Anyone have any tips?

23 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

you don't even really take ghouls

Too squishy, too slow and no damage output. Sadly the days of outgrinding over. Too many units can deal >20 damage these days. With all the rend, they don’t have a save...

Seasons of war have nice plays of FEC on YT. With the nurgle rot around, it is tricky to get games in.

against tzeentch your magic will be crippled, but the fec spells have a decent range, so starting outside the 30“ disspell is possible. Trying to grind through horrors is a mess. 

kharadron can shoot you to pieces and reposition fast to threaten far away objectives. That is very ugly to deal with. Charging  and dealing damage to something vital, then pray to the gods. Heroes always need to be within 3“ to get some extra protection.

it always boils down to positioning and target priority.. 

• Like 1

I've played vs KO and Tz (Eternal Conflagration) using Blisterskin Royal Mordants list with 1 Mounted Terrorgheist and a 9 blob of Flayers.

The "best" KO list is higher drops than you so you decide turn order, whilst Tzeentch will be lower drops so they decide.

In both instances, you can be relatively safe turn 1 as you can hide your heroes and big hammer unit around your Eye of Hysh wearer, putting them at -2 and -1 to hit vs ranged attacks respectively. I have seen my Archregent tank 6 flamers and then heal up to full.

If they go for your turn one you can more than likely survive, then push out.

Against Hosts Duplicitous, you can use the Blisterskin Command Ablity "Lords of the Burning Skies" to just fly away from their no retreat Horror blobs.

If you are to go first, Royal Mordants gives you the alpha opportunity if needed.

Edited by Liquidsteel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, im new to AOS and am making an FEC list as my first army. not looking to make a competitive list by any means (because this isnt a blisterkin list) but just wanted to see if theres any improvements you guys can see in the list. All advice appreciated

Grand Court: Hollowmourne

Abhorrent Archregent
General
CT: Grave robber
Art: Dermal Robe
Lore: Spectral host
(I know it would be better served to have my varghulf or haunter be my gen but then I would lose the benefit of the Attendants battalion)

Varghulf Courtier
Art: Flayed Pennant

Crpty Haunter courtier
Art: corpsefane gauntlet

6 man unit of crypt horrors (x3)

30 man unit of ghouls

3 man unit of flayers

Battalions:
Attendants at court
Royal Mordants

The idea behind this army is to obviously, charge. I chose spectral host over deranged for my spell since I have a lack of flying and I honestly think I have enough mobility otherwise between the Royal mordants and the Command ability of Hollowmourne. Arts are pretty self explanatory, Flayed Pennant so I (hopefully) dont have to use CP on charges and dermal robe to make up for my only having 1 caster. I know flayers are generally better than horrors right now but I think their point cost is kind of prohibitive to the point where I cant fully surround my opponent with my charges like I can with this list.  The main plan is to just smash the Attendants right into the thick of it since they get perma re-roll hits and my somewhat surplus of CP will enable feeding frenzies with them. While the mordants get into the backline with the help of extra movement and spectral host, potentially getting the horrors on a unit of archers or a wizard. The arch-regent drops another varghulf in with the mordants or to back up the attendants if needed. I know the CT is kind of wasted on him but I think itll help him potentially not be assassinated by a hero with an art.

10 hours ago, Honk said:

Looks good... tactics might be tricky with very aggressive Attendants, which are not as fast as the Mordants. 

Thanks! I plan to use the command ability on at least one of the attendants units so they can get properly stuck in

1 hour ago, Deadrixc said:

I plan to use the command ability so they can get properly stuck in

Buffed up kamikaze is my tactic, but I’m not too great of a general 👻

you start with 3CP, slingshot 30 ghouls to an objective together with a summoned varghulf, let your Regent cast his spells on one attendants unit and if all goes well, in they go,

remember to run up the haunter for feeding frenzy... or if the ghouls look kinda save, summon the varghulf up to the front.

target priority and positioning... we are glasscannons

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Drazhoath said:

Sry for the question but the App shows me that a Varghulf makes Horrors and Flayers Battleline. Is it the truth? Because it doesnt have the key word Haunter Courtier or Infernal Courtier🤔

A Varghulf doesn't do this. You can find the battleline/general requirements in the back of the book in the table where you can find the unit points. These are the conditionals we have in FEC:
Crypt Flayers: Battleline if general is Crypt Infernal Courtier or in Blisterskin
Crypt Horrors: Battleline if general is Crypt Haunter Courtier or in Hollowmourne
Royal Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon: Battleline in Gristlegore

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiekeboe said:

A Varghulf doesn't do this. You can find the battleline/general requirements in the back of the book in the table where you can find the unit points. These are the conditionals we have in FEC:
Crypt Flayers: Battleline if general is Crypt Infernal Courtier or in Blisterskin
Crypt Horrors: Battleline if general is Crypt Haunter Courtier or in Hollowmourne
Royal Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon: Battleline in Gristlegore

So the Warscroll Builder is wrong.