AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

8 hours ago, ireland012 said:

Well..... I’m just now reading up on this post.    Does anyone have a picture of a converted flayer that looks like a varghulf???

Trying to think come up with a cheaper way of creating 2 varghulfs instead of purchasing them.   Plenty of flayers and horror sprues to work with 

Here are my 2 converted Varghulf (on the flanks) next to 3 Flayers for scale reference

IMG_20210218_143641.jpg

• Like 5

Ushoran isn't active in the lore RN. They procreate through some diseased magic blood - not sure how the ghouls give a blood kiss in the Gotrek story the royal king and queen think they weren't able to have children -  if Ushoran dies nothing changes for the faction. 

Ushoran would be a great way to introduce FeC into the Gravelords book imo.  All vampires aroound him would see the world as he sees it and it would make sense that way to make mixed armies.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stunt said:

Here are my 2 converted Varghulf (on the flanks) next to 3 Flayers for scale reference

IMG_20210218_143641.jpg

Well the bases look great!!    Where are the ruins from?

I guess there could be green stuff to create fur.  And maybe pull some skulls off the horrors sprue, but they look good overall!  I would be okay running them for sure 

Is the consensus: it’s okay to have a buffer looking flayer as a proxy.   Or should I suck it up and pick up 2 varghulfs new?  

2 minutes ago, ireland012 said:

Well the bases look great!!    Where are the ruins from?

I guess there could be green stuff to create fur.  And maybe pull some skulls off the horrors sprue, but they look good overall!  I would be okay running them for sure 

Is the consensus: it’s okay to have a buffer looking flayer as a proxy.   Or should I suck it up and pick up 2 varghulfs new?  

The ruins are actually one statue from the GW Sigmarite Mausoleum terrain set cut in half. I played those minis in the biggest AoS team tournament in France and I didn't get any complaints about those conversions, mostly congratulations actually because the standard Varghulf is quite dated in its design.

5 hours ago, Feii said:

we are getting a WD this friday with new LRL vs FEC lore and warscroll battalions and maybe we get more info this saturday hopefully.

Sorry I already have it since Tuesday and it's just a bit of lore and some custom Anvil of Apotheosis, though this was already clear from the preview GW did.

Battalion(s) will be in BR:Teclis.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

Sorry I already have it since Tuesday and it's just a bit of lore and some custom Anvil of Apotheosis, though this was already clear from the preview GW did.

Battalion(s) will be in BR:Teclis.

any important lore? ooof this is like the first tome celestial without any battalion updates? 

Very tldr version from my one read through, someone else probably has a better rundown(i'm not a lore guy):

Aftermath of uneasy alliance between FEC and OBR fighting lumienth forces where the OBR think of FEC as barbaric and a tool to be used etc.

FEC don't help the OBR replenish their forces, refuse to pay bone tithe as to them it is like tax collection

the FEC archregent asks to negotiate with OBR general. He accepts - they have history so is not surprised by it.

OBR general uses it as a trap using wagons that the FEC's delusion makes them believe are filled with exotic goods.

The OBR slaughter the FEC, the archregent escapes.

-- Again i'm not a lore guy i don't know how major/minor the characters are. To me it just seemed like infighting/civil war in one area, happens a lot in other stories. The obsolete line is rough though. Do obr usually think they are above all the other death faction?

Edited by Svalack
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Svalack said:

Wasnt sure if we are allowed to post spoilers for stories in here? 

Regardless one takeaway for me that I didnt think much of until today's rumour is that there is a line in the story where the OBR say the FEC are soon to become obselete. 

I wouldn't read too much into it.  The OBR embody the overwhelming arrogance of nagash and are explicitely disdainful of other forces including other Death factions.  It's why they have no allies.  I'd read that as characterization rather than foreshadowing.

15 minutes ago, Feii said:

so they are able to communicate with the flesheater but the flesheaters see them differently through their delusion?

I don't think it mentions how they communicated just that they both committed to fight for arkhan and were marshalled alongside each other.

They believed they were gathering wood/lumber not bones and couldn't keep up with the increasing demands.

Edited by Svalack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Feii said:

but the flesheaters see them differently through their delusion?

FEC are next level raving mad... and their delusions are contagious. 

ears deep in warm intestines? A nice banquet for the king...

Stormcast visiting the village? Murder Robots from outer space...

FOR THE LADYYYY!!!

On 2/15/2021 at 5:28 PM, NaturalSix said:

snip
switching systems for the chance to build an army with NO VEHICLES!

As long as you don’t count Ghoul King on Terrorgheist as a vehicle then things will go great.

Q1) does semi-competitive play typically involve bringing along ALL the possible summoning options for your heroes, in addition to your actual list? Seems like a lot of models to paint before unlocking a 2k army... 😮

Honk kind of opened and closed it with the Varghulf comment. Unless you are really hurting for an objective holding 20x ghouls that is the model to summon with the Archregent.  Alternatively the GKoZD can summon a Varghulf but that requires giving up a command point which is one less Feeding Frenzy😱 and the terrorgheist option.  It should only be done in the fluffiest of narrative times.  In a quantum universe it is possible for an Archregent or GKoTG might to summon Flayers with that extra mobility to “rush” towards an objective/target.  I’ve never had that move prove successful.

Q2) Are there any feasible blisterskin lists that don't focus on flayers? I know they're battleline but +2" movement on everything seems exploitable in interesting ways, or am I overthinking things and the grand courts should just spam their associated unit? 

It is very exploitive with regular ghouls and mounted ghoul kings.  Combined that with the Royal Mordants warscroll battalion and it will be like that scene from Space Balls as a unit approaches Ludacrous Speed.  Although the “taxes” involved will make this a center all design when budgeting points.

You don’t need any Flayers.  Even three of them are a bit expensive as opportune objective holders/skirmishers.  Then there’s the dirty truth about the “muscle” options we call Flayers and Horrors.  They are expensive for their base warscrolls.  Other armies do it cheaper since  FEC need to be balanced against regening models and Feeding Frenzy.  So the challenge is to make them useful through tactics/spells/abilities/warscrolls/etc.  Even GW took a hint and have been lowering the cost on Horrors in a bid to get more of them on the table.

Right before the current book dropped  the LVO champ won using a min/maxed GKoTG and ghoul force.

I've never played AOS, just deciding what to build and paint after SC, Archregent and 10 extra ghouls. Thankye kindly! 

The Start Collecting box is BOSS.  I bought four of them and have no regrets.  You don’t actually need four.

Used Ghouls show up in secondary markets regularly.

The Endless Spells are a good purchase.  I generally bring either the chalice or stampede, rarely both if feeling lulz-y.

Edited by Evil Bob
No “drooping” here
  • Like 1

Bone flute must be nurgle surely? i think i have 2 or 3 different bone flutes in that army already,

After todays reveals im starting to think the FEC spells being disc is not true, i cant see them joining gravelords. We now have confirmation that it will contain skeletons, wights, necromancers, bats etc. 

If it was just vampire bloodlines sure i could see it but effectively removing the current rules and shrinking the lore to join a generic undead army? seems highly unlikely to me.

Edited by Svalack
  • Like 1

Just now, Feii said:

I wouldnt be so sure, it seems kinda more crude than nurgle one and there seems to be some kind oof bony protrusion in the bottom left corner. (and there is so far 0 nurgle mentions in these past months) 

Nurgle are in the BR teclis book aswell, i havent heard anything of them in the story though except links to the new stormcast character.

They have one of the oldest battletomes which has a load of outdated mechanics as well as no endless spells so wouldnt be a surprise if they get an update. The DoK tome came out of nowhere i think.

38 minutes ago, Svalack said:

Nurgle are in the BR teclis book aswell, i havent heard anything of them in the story though except links to the new stormcast character.

They have one of the oldest battletomes which has a load of outdated mechanics as well as no endless spells so wouldnt be a surprise if they get an update. The DoK tome came out of nowhere i think.

Cities Of Sigmar, Seraphon, Orruk Warclans, Ogor Mawtribes, Sons Of Behemat also didn’t get endless spells. Not everyone will or should get them it would seem