AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

11 hours ago, protoss said:

Not sure if this is the right place for a noob question but I will try my luck.

I just started getting into aos collecting flesh eater courts and have a question regarding Command Abilities.

It's about whether, if I choose one of the four "Grand Courts", I keep the standard "Feeding Frenzy" ability and still get the additional one of the "Grand Court", or whether I can then only use the "Grand Court" ability, or choose the ability.

With the Command Trait and the Artefact Power it says explicitly that the version of the Grand Court has to be used.

Also the question if a General or Hero can have more than one Command Ability at the same time.

Would be nice if you can help me.

If your army is from the FEC book you always get Feeding Frenzy.  ALWAYS.

If you selected a Grand Court you only use the Command Trait from that court, do not pick another.  Any Command Abilities already on the warscroll are not lost and can still be used.

If you select a Grand Court the first relic of power has to be theirs.  Each additional Warscroll Battalions allows another relic to be selected and given to different a hero.

• Like 1

I once took down Archaon with a buffed up Varghulf.  It has +3 attacks from Ferocious Hunger and because I cast a spell on it was rolling to hit.  That gave it

7 attacks hitting and wounding on 3s with two damage at -1 rend

and

4 attacks hitting on 3s, wounding on twos with D3 damage at -2 rend.

You then pile in again for a CP.  Potentially can deal out 52 wounds from a 160 point model.  The mordants battalion gives a little movement bonus but you can do this in any list that also has an Archregent in it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the lore, how would Flesheaters fight a force like for example the Ossiarchs? The Ossiarchs seem to be proof against all of the FECs' standard weaponry - death screams, bone implements, claws, fangs, necrotic infections, and they (as far as I'm aware) don't have any organs that can be mundanely targeted with paralyzing pain, concussion or rupture. What would a Varghulf do against a Morghast, Gothizzar harvester or even Mortek guard?

Many years ago I remember reading - don't remember whether it was cited from some source or just speculation - that what you were actually striking at on the undead was not merely their materials, like bone, but the magic that holds them together. And the unraveling of that magic is what "really" happens when such models are slain. I guess that could begin to go toward an explanation... but it still seems very awkward at best for a Varghulf to fight those kinds of constructs.

Maybe the seeming hopelessness of this fight is indeed why "... Ghouls have been spied crawling like pale beetles upon [Highhaven's] Realmgates, scratching ancient sigils and dark runes into the stones to ward against transgression by the unliving [of Nagash]."

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Honk said:

Saw it on YT Seasons of War, liked that a lot (double battalions, aar, 2x6 flayers)...

I’m lacking the horrors to try it out

I have seen 2 builds one with double royal mordants and one with royald mordants and attendants at court  double battalions. 

The SoW list was double smash bat, two royal mordants battalions in a Hallowmourn court... And one varghulf was the general for the extra attack & damage (couldn’t with AaC)

he went against a msu eel list and it was a photofinish for idoleth, I think pretty impressive... 

Haven’t seen the other one, so I can’t say. But with cheese and filth small things matter, and tactics are key...

lost a Deadwatch game vs slaves, because I never got a double turn. He won four turns, even loosing one would have cost him the game big time, but was not to be and I was ground down... aaaand maybe I went in too greedy, not knowing, that his general on reptile was such a crazy blender 

5 hours ago, Feii said:

how would you ramp up courtier in the most absurd way possible?

Hollowmourne for the Grave Robber trait, Royal Mordants battalion, Billious Decanter. Then cast +D3 attacks from Archregent, and +1 from Ghoul King. Run him into a 10+ block of enemies and get an enemy artefact wielder within 3". Your best case scenario looks like:

Claws: 4+1+2+2+3+1 = 13 attacks, 3 dmg each
Fangs: 1+1+2+3+1 = 8 attacks, D3+1 dmg each

Clear the 10+ block of enemies (should be able to kill any 10-30 unit), then CP repeat to take out the artifact hero. 

Earlier today I got him up to 11 Claws/6 Fangs attacks and took out 30 Kairic Acolytes and a Lord of Change in one combat phase, the game was over right there. I feel like we should enjoy the Nuclear Varghulf while we still can, people will probably soon learn how to deploy against this when they see the souped-up Varghulf on your list.

edit: And let's not forget you're rerolling all hits because you cast a spell near him, and wound rolls of 1 because of Hollowmourne.

Edited by Kiekeboe
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

13 minutes ago, Kiekeboe said:

I  feel like we should enjoy the Nuclear Varghulf while we still can, people will probably soon learn how to deploy against this when they see the souped-up Varghulf on your list.

Originally I thought having a 5+ save on such an expensive model was stupid.  Now it’s like a handicap to level the playing field.

5 hours ago, Feii said:

how would you ramp up courtier

@Kiekeboe was way faster but still:

I think the smash bat general is pretty high end...

the hunger spells from regent and the Feed on Dark magic trait gives +d3 attacks rerolling (all) to hit rolls... 

the obligatory trait gives +1 attack and +1 damage if within 3“ of an enemy with artifact

the champion trait would add +2 attacks to the claws if more then 10 enemies within 3“ (tricky)

then feeding frenzy...

the Rest is slingshot stuff, he can move in hero phase 11“, move again 11“, run 2d6+1 (8“) and charge 2d6+1 (8“) roughly 38“, you’ll have to place/land him in between though...

to go beyond that, a King or acolyte for another attack and since we‘re in theory land the King on dragon aura to reroll to wound... red mist is all that remained

Counterplay is magic domination, slaan or Khorne or Nagash within 30“, slaanesh fight last bs, orb of enchantment from Legion of Blood.

Counterdeployment tricky but could be relativly tight speedbumps (he has to land every 10“)

and you’ll have to aim him properly...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

Is everyone pumped for this months white dwarf?

Spoiler

4BBD4284-1A74-4A37-A8F2-61C0B3362613.jpeg

For sure! The other image on Warhammer Community says "Includes new background and rules for the armies of undeath" so I'm excited. This is supposed to be the first of multiple "Flashpoints". I'm hoping it's a sort of micro broken realms style article with a new battalion or something like that.

40 minutes ago, Kiekeboe said:

with a new battalion or something like that.

They did mention that in the last preview with the Underworld and Quest announcement.

I hope for something spicy and also for not too crazy fluff... also the mentioning of Tyrion might do them pointy ear daffodil muncher good.

let’s see how Ushorans blessing blooms in the light of logic and contemplation 👻🎉🥳

2 minutes ago, Honk said:

They did mention that in the last preview with the Underworld and Quest announcement.

I hope for something spicy and also for not too crazy fluff... also the mentioning of Tyrion might do them pointy ear daffodil muncher good.

let’s see how Ushorans blessing blooms in the light of logic and contemplation 👻🎉🥳

One of the writers on this White Dwarf article (Sam Pearson) wrote this on Twitter yesterday:

If you enjoyed the Anvils of Apotheosis hero creator in this year's General's Handbook, you might enjoy next month's White Dwarf where we build upon it with the 'Anvils of Death', tailored specifically for Flesh-eater Courts and Ossiarch Bonereapers!

So I'm guessing this WD will be a bit of lore and the anvils thingy, and we'll have to wait for the Broken Realms: Teclis for rules and battalions.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey guys,

I am currently testing some lists for a 1500 pts. Tournament and after the new erratas/FAQs my old list with the Royal Family Battalion is not legal anymore so I had to look for other options. After all the discussion about the Smashbat i tried a list that way and was suprised how good it worked (You can see the list below). The only problem I had was that i had a constant shortage of Command Points (it feels even worse after getting used to the Feast Day Court). 

So my Question is: Has anyone tried Smashbat Lists in other Courts? 

I understand that Hollowmourne offers a lot of potential for the varghulf, but that thing is still a Beast without only the Artefact (Decanter) and the spell buff (+ on attacks if possible) and should manage to kill one small hero and his screen or a bigger hero with the help of the Feeding Frenzy ability . With Spectral Host one could even give him run+charge and with for example Blisterskin he gets +2 Move for his two moves which should get him close enough to get the charge and it would benefit the rest of the army as well and would help to generate Command Points with the Orator Ability.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Anyone ever tried a Smashbat without Hollowmourne?

Here is my list - Help is welcome ^^

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Hollowmourne
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: Corpsefane Gauntlet
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Grave Robber
- Artefact: The Bilious Decanter

Battleline
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Horrors (130)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Battalions
Royal Mordants (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 73

• LOVE IT! 1

20 hours ago, Lord Hightower said:

Anyone ever tried a Smashbat without Hollowmourne?

The added mobility and extra attacks are tricky to compensate. Especially since the magic that you’ll need to pull off a smash bat can be quite easily countered. And suddenly you’re a day late and a dollar short on smashing 😅

and although I like the list in general, some details will cause problems. Like 3 flayers/horrors don’t really pack a punch in my games, the GkoTg give a second big threat, which is cool, but 2x10 ghouls are not going to survive a fight without courtier.

So try it out, see for yourself,  but in a „true“ smash bat list every buff on the varghulf gets doubled, be it mobility or attacks, to push that thing into beastmode...