AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

On 10/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, Honk said:

Chalice (heal d6), garland (-2bvy) or cloak for the regent +1 cast etc)... nothing to write home about, but 

I believe the "RR Save of 1" that Chamon give us (not sure about which Realm Rule has this one) is okish! 

Not sure if it is better than healD6 or -2bvy, but it is on my list!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Masake said:

I believe the "RR Save of 1" that Chamon give us (not sure about which Realm Rule has this one) is okish! 

Not sure if it is better than healD6 or -2bvy, but it is on my list!

That's the shyish one I believe, the chamon gives "ignore rend -1". I wonder which one is better, I went with the chamon one in my previous list but I'm starting to think a permanent mystic shield isn't bad either, not sure how to do the math on that.

Just now, Kiekeboe said:

That's the shyish one I believe, the chamon gives "ignore rend -1". I wonder which one is better, I went with the chamon one in my previous list but I'm starting to think a permanent mystic shield isn't bad either, not sure how to do the math on that.

My thought about the "permanent mystic" is not only due to the effect itself, but you allow yourself to have 2 mystic shield (and my list has 2 TG) - so it enable me to kind "bypass" the 1 spell only rule.

Ignore rend -1 is just worth if you know your opponent (mainly hordes that have 0 and -1) but RR1 will always be worth!

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Skarband said:

thought about something like that

great choice, the mighty knights of the Grand  courts are the bravest and most noble heroes in all the realms... don’t forget to scream „for the lady“ when rolling to charge.

Basically the list is all right, but deadwatch  battalion requirements are not met... 3 units of Flayers + Infernal 

spell selection... meh. The gkotg probably casts his vigor 9/10 times, so I would give the speed spell to the regent, who sits back on his throne, getting ready to call in needed reinforcements.

But make the infernal the general, give him the „wizard“ trait (dark alcolyt, which also gives him the kings hunger spell) and get a second infernal instead of the battalion... then you could either stay fast (blisterskin) or stay hungry (grand court - feast day)

All the other things will reveal themselves on the field of battle.

So with all the new races since our book dropped and the massive power creep. How does one still compete with FEC? All I see is massively overpriced units due to potential ability stacking.. And that was okay before everyone could just counter almost everything without much trouble. Even when summoning we bring less wounds to the table then most armies start with (and we have worse saves). And dont even try summoning if fighting the new Aelves cause you CP's won't allow it.

So how do you guys play FEC now? Or better still, what is the most competitive list tocdate with FEC in your eyes?

Basically gristlegore terrorgeists  are the only half viable list. Feast day if you don't want a grand court. We're pretty much the best of the bad armies now. Not completely garbage tier but not good. Options are way too limited, very few unit choices, low rend, low saves, bravery mechanic's that don't work against anyone anymore, a reliance on spells and synergy against way better magic heavy armies and everything is over costed apart from the archregent and the terrorgeist.

Hi, everyone.  I'm an AoS ADD guy.  I already play some amount of Stormcast, Tzeentch, Idoneth, Seraphon, and Mawtribes, but I just came home from the shop with a FEC starter. 

I am really interested in painting up some Blisterskin guys.  My question is regarding the Crypt Flayers.  They same like a big part of Blisterskin, and they look fun to paint, but looking at the warscroll, they seem fairly lackluster.  I'm not the most competitive player (we use points+open war cards or points+core book battle strategies in my group) but I also don't want to build and paint a bunch of Flayers if they are awful.

Is there something I'm missing about them?  Are Flayers good enough in a Blisterskin army?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Aietos said:

Is there something I'm missing about them? 

3 flayers without support are very fragile and tend to get beaten up.

but 6 flayers with an infernal, the ferocious hunger spell and a spare CP for feeding frenzy can lay down some serious hurting.

their scream is decent and the ability to cause mortal wounds on 6s can wreck even stupid treelords with 2+rerolling save. 1-2 courtiers help them come back from a beating to stay relevant.

horrors are not totally bad either, but without rend, all their rerolls and high damage is useless against strong armor.

these guys might think themselves mighty knights in shiny armor, but the truth is naked and fragile

On 10/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, Liquidsteel said:

Royal Mordants is great and I've seen Deadwatch place well in tournaments. 

FEC aren't top tier and you basically play for 3 turns but we can still do well! We're in an okay to good spot in my opinion. 

Didn't Deadwatch stop being relevant when almost everything went to bravery 10?

And what deadwatch list would you recommend? I figure you go for 2x6 and 1x3 flayers and 1 infernal, but what else?

It's not a list I've played myself, though I recall seeing it place well enough at a few tournaments over the past few months. Take everything with a pinch of salt of course as not every tournament is super competitive. Also with LRL out and next SoB, there's still quite a lot of low bravery around even if battleshock is dead.

I've seen generally a big unit of 9 or indeed 2x6 plus a 3. You want a GKoRTG plus an AAR also. That's basically all you have room for I think but you can likely work a chalice in. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Aietos said:

Is there something I'm missing about them?  Are Flayers good enough in a Blisterskin army?

Thanks!

The truth is none of our units are good as a standalone thing outside of Terrorgeists and Archregents. What makes FeC usable is the synergy but to really maximise that you end up with really boring lists. Blisterkin needs as many flayers as you can squeeze in, infernals, deadwatch, Spectral Host and at least one Distraction GKoTG to keep your opponent on their toes.

And even with everything going in your favour it's still an uphill battle if you mess up the alphastrike, get your spells unbound or come up against something tanky with 10 bravery or high saves (which is everything at the moment in my experience).

That being said, if you want an army with the best lore and flavour. You came to the right place.

Edited by Michealmas

11 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

I find Royal Mordants Blisterskin and Triple Dragon Gristlegore to be fun to play, so disagree that we have to play "boring lists".

I just meant lack of diversity, our ally options are limited, out unit choices even more so and you get heavily siphoned towards spamming one particular unit type based on what court you choose. It's very homogeneous. Death in general seems to have very limited options across the board.  For LoN probably the inverse is true here; too many options none of which are good but NH, FeC and OBR all seem to suffer similar problems. A few autoincludes take up the bulk of your army and then the rest is just spamming one particular unit type based on your allegiance choice.

Mhmm I think this just reflects more on AoS to be honest? Limited model ranges across the board for many armies.

There are other armies that suffer from this - Deepkin spam Eels, Nurgle spams Blightkings or GUO+PB's, Fyreslayers with their HGB's, Orruks with Ardboys, BCR with Stonehorns, Gargants with... Gargants.

As FEC you are almost always taking an AAR, a mounted GK, some Ghouls and some Flayers, regardless of the list.

Royal Mordants uses pretty much the whole army list bar the courtiers (but uses a Varghulf).

Edited by Liquidsteel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Michealmas said:

I just meant lack of diversity, our ally options are limited, out unit choices even more so and you get heavily siphoned towards spamming one particular unit type based on what court you choose. It's very homogeneous.

As a LoN and FEC player (and Chaosdwarves 🥳) I guess I have to both agree and disagree with your opinion.

true, the fec range is more stunted than a legless dwarf. LoN has one of the most divers all over place unit range of all (-chaos ascended/cities of neckbeard)
(imo) wrong: samey lists...
if you play competitively, you’ll have to focus on your most broken options, that’s the gkotg, the regent and than depending on your approach Ghoulpatrol, Menagerie, Flayers or mordants...

that’s 4 decent lists, pretty good for only 3 units

in casual games you might even see a zombiedragon 🙀😍 how cute
LoN lost it‘s competitive options, when Nagash and Arkhan got mangled and the realm artifacts (amulet, feather gryph) kicked. But still for an easy Friday evening there are tons of options, which might not trample a GT, but can hold against non-waac top tier bs.

and of all the things I love the LoN range for casual games (might be the 10th time I say this 😅) all the options, all the fun and an almost new army concept with just 2 boxes bought.

I hope Soulblight lives up to that/my dreams

• Like 1

Two question:

Malefic Hunger of my Abhorrant on zombie dragons means that could all my dragons/therros in 16" repeat all wound rolls (1,2)? I see this extraordinarily broken. 😁

If i add Ferocious Hunger to a therrorgheist and i obtain 3 attacks more, Could the monster do 6 attacks with fanged maw? I can't believe this.

Edited by Sartxac

5 hours ago, Sartxac said:

I can't believe this.

The dream lives on, it is true...

you can reroll ALL wound rolls within the aura, NOT only failed. (Because usually reroll before modifier)

if you roll a 5/6 on the ferocious hunger spell for the d3, every melee weapon of the targeted model gets those 3 extra attack, of course the maw being the most interesting.
And it does stack with the black hunger spell from the king (or dark alcolyte courtier), which could lead to 20 ghouls with 7 attacks each...

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, Someone2 said:

Didn't Deadwatch stop being relevant when almost everything went to bravery 10?

And what deadwatch list would you recommend? I figure you go for 2x6 and 1x3 flayers and 1 infernal, but what else?

Im playing this list and have had som good results with it.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Command Trait: Hellish Orator
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Units
10 x Dire Wolves (140)
- Allies

Battalions
Deadwatch (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 113

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello everyone, I found the following list on the internet.
I stumble a little about the hero "Mordant Hero" and his abilities.
Do you have any idea which hero this could be?

Allegiance: Flesh-eater Courts
Grand Court: Blisterskin

LEADERS

Abhorrent Ghoul-King on Royal Terrorgheist
General
Command Trait: Hellish Orator
Artefact: Eye of Hysh
Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Abhorrent Archeegent
Lore of Madness: Blood Feast

Mordant Hero Divine
Prayer: Wrathful Invocation
Frenzy
Arch-priest

UNITS
40 x Crypt Ghouls
10 x Crypt Ghouls

Edited by TitoFuente

On 10/21/2020 at 12:52 PM, TitoFuente said:

Hello everyone, I found the following list on the internet.
I stumble a little about the hero "Mordant Hero" and his abilities.
Do you have any idea which hero this could be?

Allegiance: Flesh-eater Courts
Grand Court: Blisterskin

LEADERS

Abhorrent Ghoul-King on Royal Terrorgheist
General
Command Trait: Hellish Orator
Artefact: Eye of Hysh
Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Abhorrent Archeegent
Lore of Madness: Blood Feast

Mordant Hero Divine
Prayer: Wrathful Invocation
Frenzy
Arch-priest

UNITS
40 x Crypt Ghouls
10 x Crypt Ghouls

Mordant Hero here is from the Anvil of Apotheosis in GHB20. A custom hero you can build, some are good and would help plug gaps where we have a few significant weaknesses but as a rule they are overpriced for what you get. Also I've found a lot of people are really against using them in matched play.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, long time lurker here. Enjoying the conversations.

This doesn't seem to be discussed much, but how do you see FEC in terms of tactics? I don't mean list building but rather how do we deploy , move and engage effectively?

I have played plenty of FEC but I am still struggling with units moving too far away from their support and getting killed off. Also the army gives me mixed feelings. Are we supposed to be tanky or killy, play objectives or table the opponent?

I tend to win when I play a more conservative game that I can move at my own pace instead of rushing to the opponent, but of course against big shooting I get killed off easily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lemonicus said:

Are we supposed to be tanky or killy, play objectives or table the opponent?

Yes, we are...

It all depends, you have to be strong, where your opponent is weak and other Sun-Tzu BS.

The new shooty meta puts a lot of pressure on our poor heroes.

• Like 1