AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

13 hours ago, JoltUK said:

Could you experienced FEC players offer any feedback? Thanks!

Hi there!

Your first list is pretty solid, however I suggest to take Majestic Horror command trait for your GKoTG so you can  bring all your summons turn 1. Also take Deranged Transformation on one of the Arch Regents instead of Spectral Host. And leave Swords of the shelf, simply taking Triumph is better than this spell. 

Your second list is starving CPs so bad it's not worth trying. Whenever you choose to use anything except Feast Day you should bring Extra CP and Battalion (I bring it always, no matter if I use Feast Day or any of Grand Courts)

Considering my Morgaunt list that @KibaWildFang mentioned, you can check it out: 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Morgaunt
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Emperor Veinham Gizzardwurst - Harbringer (240)
Abhorrant Archregent
- General
- Command Trait: Savage Chivalry
- Artefact: Decrepit Coronet
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Grand Duke Crawric Marrowclot (440)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Necrotic Fangs
Count Deadfell Retchscrote (160)
Abhorrant Ghoul King
- Lore of Madness: Miasmal Shroud
Marquis Fleckston Vilemunch (60)
Crypt Ghast Courtier
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant
Lord Offalwin Livergut (60)
Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Allies

Battalions
Royal Family (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Shards of Valagharr (40)
Cadaverous Barricade (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 111

This list was made for non competetive event, a somewhat competetive version would look like this:

Spoiler

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Allies

Battalions
Royal Family (120)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 121

With so many ghouls you will be able to swarm objectives and thanks to Court units of 20 ghouls will benefit from Boundless Ferocity after suffering casualties which is a nice damage boost, but your only reall hammer unit would be single GKoTG and if properly focused - he will go down, depending on the meta or the opponent you can take a defencive artefact that works best. 

Something Ill probably never understand, so many people in this hobby who introduce themselves as someone who has never played before but go for 2k lists right off the bat. 

Start small, try out different units and grow from there. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SevenXes said:

Something Ill probably never understand, so many people in this hobby who introduce themselves as someone who has never played before but go for 2k lists right off the bat. 

Some players (like me) cannot enjoy lower points games. My first game was 1000 game with my friend so he cold show me and it was extremly boring. Every time i tried lower points it wasnt enjoyable. Without higher points you dont have that many combinations what to do. Also armies are certainly not balanced for lower points.  

Hope this explains it for you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SevenXes said:

Depends on how someone is being introduced... I've played GW and other table-top wargames for quite a long time. Starting at 1,000 points is not a goal of mine, I like to enter at what level is commonly played and discussed on podcasts. There's also the local meta, which doesn't always play at 1,000 points (mine is pretty focused on 2k). In addition, there are armies that just don't play as well at lower points values. Nighthaunt seem to be a much less fun experience at 1k vs 2k, so someone starting at that level might not have as much fun (or their army would be significantly different). FEC might work at both levels, though.

Personally, I also play mostly in events, which are all 2k, so that's why I only care about those battles :)

Edited by XcaliburNick
spelling

On 3/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, SevenXes said:

Since the goal is usually to eventually build up to 2000pts its good to know what to shoot for. When I started AoS I made a 2000pts list, asked for feedback then started building smaller lists of 500, 1000 and 1500pts by choosing units from the final 2000pt list. Lowers the risk of buying models you end up never using.

I find that a lot of areas will only do 2k because it's "tournament standard" and it's very hard to get lower point games, so often you have no choice.  Which IMHO is stupid because it increases the already considerable investment in an army that you may find you don't like.  Much better to do it slow and build up, that way also you don't just parrot a meta list that someone else "decided" is the best way to play the army, which stagnates the playing field.  Especially if the players in the area refuse to play anything sub 2k because they don't want to change how the list works or, worse, have only bought 2k and nothing else so they don't even have anything which works at below 2k.

Edited by wayniac

On 3/2/2020 at 12:32 AM, XReN said:

Hi there!

Your first list is pretty solid, however I suggest to take Majestic Horror command trait for your GKoTG so you can  bring all your summons turn 1. Also take Deranged Transformation on one of the Arch Regents instead of Spectral Host. And leave Swords of the shelf, simply taking Triumph is better than this spell. 

Your second list is starving CPs so bad it's not worth trying. Whenever you choose to use anything except Feast Day you should bring Extra CP and Battalion (I bring it always, no matter if I use Feast Day or any of Grand Courts)

Considering my Morgaunt list that @KibaWildFang mentioned, you can check it out: 

Hide contents

Leaders
Emperor Veinham Gizzardwurst - Harbringer (240)
Abhorrant Archregent
- General
Grand Duke Crawric Marrowclot (440)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Necrotic Fangs
Count Deadfell Retchscrote (160)
Abhorrant Ghoul King
Marquis Fleckston Vilemunch (60)
Crypt Ghast Courtier
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant
Lord Offalwin Livergut (60)
Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Allies

Battalions
Royal Family (120)

Extra Command Point (50)
Shards of Valagharr (40)
Cadaverous Barricade (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 111

This list was made for non competetive event, a somewhat competetive version would look like this:

Hide contents

Leaders
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- General
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Allies

Battalions
Royal Family (120)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Wounds: 121

With so many ghouls you will be able to swarm objectives and thanks to Court units of 20 ghouls will benefit from Boundless Ferocity after suffering casualties which is a nice damage boost, but your only reall hammer unit would be single GKoTG and if properly focused - he will go down, depending on the meta or the opponent you can take a defencive artefact that works best. 

So, using either of those lists, what would you use your CAs to summon?

Hello again, fellow kings and courtiers! I think I’ve come up with a cool list. Would like input but it feels strong.

Feast Day

AAR-Dark Wizardry, Dermal Robe, Deranged transformation
AGKoRTG-gruesome bite, doppelcloak, spectral host

AGK- Blood Feast

Crypt Ghast Courtier

40 ghouls

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

6 Horrors

Corpse Cart w/Lodestone

Chalice of Ushoran

Extra CP

King’s Ghouls

Realm: Ulgu

Total: 2000

allies 80/400, 2cp to start with

12 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

Hello again, fellow kings and courtiers! I think I’ve come up with a cool list. Would like input but it feels strong.

First things first, I've never played a similar list and if this list works for you or is lots of fun, go for it! 

But just by the looks of it, this list doesn't seem to be too strong. You're neither hitting hard nor moving fast. From my experience a group of 40 ghouls either rapes something in one combat phase or gets stuck somwhere for the rest of the game. Not to mention some nasty endless spells... And if that happens, all you've left is the TG. 

Also Kings Ghouls isn't really worth it since everything you have has leadership 10 and once you suffer critical losses, you're probably going to have other issues than leadership. ;-)

But as mentioned before, if it works it works. And if it's fun, even better. 

19 hours ago, whiskeytango said:

So, using either of those lists, what would you use your CAs to summon?

I'd say it's situational and depends on the game.

Serious question here. I was reading some Tomb Kings stuff out of curiosity and they had an ability that lets other leaders use command abilities even if they are not your general. That means only generals can use CAs? How does that affect summoning? Do we get around it because of our summoning CAs are in the movement phase?

EDIT: nevermind apparently thats a 1.0 holdover not bothered to be taken off by GW, haha.

Edited by KibaWildFang
  • Haha 1

I haven't played Ghouls since 8th edition WHFB.

Can I ask how this list looks?

Courts of Delusion - Feast Day
Abhorrent Archregent (General)
- Blood Feast
- Dark Wizardry
- The Dermal Robe

Abhorrent Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist
- Deranged Transformation
- Gruesome Bite
Varghulf Courier
Crypt Haunter Courtier
Crypt Ghast Courtier
40 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
9 Crypt Horrors
Endless Spell - Chalice of Ushoran

2000pts on the nose

Also, am I right in thinking I can have 1 Artefact and one Mount Trait?

Edited by Vipoid

5 hours ago, Honk said:

Looks good...

horrors are a bit weak, but used right, they surely pack a punch.

That's a shame as I own quite a few of them. :P

Are Infernals regarded as superior? 

Also, something I just realised - would I be better off swapping out the Varghulf for a Ghoul King, given that the Archregent can just summon a Varghulf?

On 3/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, Vipoid said:

That's a shame as I own quite a few of them. :P

Also, something I just realised - would I be better off swapping out the Varghulf for a Ghoul King, given that the Archregent can just summon a Varghulf?

An advantage of the Archregent summoning is the ability to pick what you need. If you rely on him to summon a varghulf (which isn't bad) you lose out on the option to summon ghouls for objectives or horrors/flayers for hitting power if you need them. 

5 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

An advantage of the Archregent summoning is the ability to pick what you need. If you rely on him to summon a varghulf (which isn't bad) you lose out on the option to summon ghouls for objectives or horrors/flayers for hitting power if you need them. 

That's true, though the Ghoul King on Terrorgheist can also summon Horrors or Flayers and the on-foot King can summon Ghouls (albeit not as many).

In any case, what would you say was more useful then - always having a Varghulf or having a foot Ghoul King?

On 3/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, Vipoid said:

Flayers are faster and dish out mortal wounds... a nice pack of horrors against a „normal“ save Army can deliver a good amount of pain. Especially if a GkoZd gives the all the rerolls... deranged transformation and hunger to superbuff, but no mortals and no rend.

Hi guys ! 

I have a question about royal family everyone told me that I can't take ghouls king mounted for the 2-6 ghoul kings since the first entry specified ghoul kings mounted or archregent and the second not. :/ so the question is : are they right or wrong ? (And i can take my ghoul kings mounted)

On 3/13/2020 at 3:11 PM, DaCapo said:

Hi guys ! 

I have a question about royal family everyone told me that I can't take ghouls king mounted for the 2-6 ghoul kings since the first entry specified ghoul kings mounted or archregent and the second not. :/ so the question is : are they right or wrong ? (And i can take my ghoul kings mounted)

They are wrong, it's written in the core rules, in case of GKs on Mounts the "Abhorrant Ghoul King" is the title and "on Royal <mount>" is a sub-header which doesn't need to be included to be legal to take in battalion.

Reading Core Rules is a marvelous thing, honestly, those people should try it.image.png.bbe264473152ec849544122d516795a4.png

• Thanks 1

Had great fun using this list in the past few weeks: 

Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
- General
- Command Trait: Dark Wizardy
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
1 x Corpse Cart (80) (Lodestone)
- Allies
Ghoul Patrol (180)
Chalice of Ushoran (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

The +3 to casting helps immensely with providing buffs to the monsters and in no way felt like an overkill. With 5 drops I am able to control who starts the battle more times than not. Most players tend to deploy in an overly defensive way when confronted with two TGs and the (high) possibility of run and charge which means that I can more comfortably cede the first turn to them and hope for a double turn later.

The triple summoning and the Patrol battalion adds up to around 800p threat to any side of the board, which is simply incredible and possibly game-winning in itself. I had multiple games where my main army of monsters and heroes were wiped but I could still pull a victory with a handful of Flayers and Ghouls prancing around my opponents deploy zone. 

My only problem is the lack of experience with some factions. Anyone here with some nice tips and tricks against Idoneth, DoK, Fyreslayers and OBR?

2 minutes ago, romhi said:

My only problem is the lack of experience with some factions. Anyone here with some nice tips and tricks against Idoneth, DoK, Fyreslayers and OBR?

Pretty much against all of those: charge first, charge smart aka engage as few models as possible with your monsters. And hope you roll good enough to punch through slayers and OBR (target Harvester first if there is one).

• 2 weeks later...

Whats some competitive lists for fec these days? 5 dragon gristle any good? Also how come in azyr when I use the royal menagerie battalion it lets me take a camp lord on zombie dragon /prince? Is that a mistake in the app?

Edited by Piikalo1