AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

39 minutes ago, XReN said:

Unlike @Honk I have a lot of experience with this exact list (except slightly different spell choice) and it is great, I won 2 local tournaments with it and I can definetely reccomend it because it's strong and doesn't force you to commit to spam.

The combo of a chalice with 40 ghouls and huge damage from monsters makes your army insanely hard to kill - if opponent haven't killed something of in one go it's reset time. 

For your summoning options I reccomend Flayers/Flayers/Varghulf or Flayers/20 ghouls/Varghulf. But also start bringing Horrors once you build them, they can be great in matches against opponents with loads of low save models and with Deranged Transformation can be pretty fast, I've had a unit of summoned horrors cover about 36" by turn 3.

EDIT to not write too much smaller replies - the Corpse Cart is pretty usefull, I like it.

With that list you’re mentioning do you keep the big ghoul unit off board and screen with the smaller ones usually?

This looks like a lot of fun to me, love having the 2 flying monsters and the ghoul blocks.

Edited by XcaliburNick

4 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

With that list you’re mentioning do you keep the big ghoul unit off board and screen with the smaller ones usually?

This looks like a lot of fun to me, love having the 2 flying monsters and the ghoul blocks.

No, I can't remember when was the last time I used Patrol's ability, usually I screen with all 3 units.

8 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

Thanks @XReN! Do you think there’s some benefit to going with either the Ethereal Amulet for a dragon or the gryph feather charm for extra -1 to hit?

It depends, Amulet can be good but I haven't used it, Gryph Feather Charm is well worth it.

8 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

I looked at all the FEC tournament lists from last month and  over half of the 13 lists were based around Ghoul Patrol and 2 AGKoRTG

Got any ranking too? Not that it matters that much.

the thing with the patrol is the ambush mechanic, which together with your summoning can really give you nice board  and objectives. 
but as I said above, theorycrafting is one thing, outplaying your opponent another. 10 ghouls without support are lone little kittens in a wolf den. Same goes for min squats of knights.

and suddenly things get pretty complicated, place your units right and you dominated your poor enemy with objective and board control. Ambushed a little bit wrong and they got crushed en passant and your ready to go home end of round 3 👻

if you go on a feast day field trip with 2x6 flayers and a gkotg, you‘re playing pretty straightforward „FEC for dummies“, same goes for 120-180 ghouls in a morgaunts last stand set up... 

You guys are awesome, always giving great advice. Thank you.

Out of these I think I really want to do the double mounted ghoul kings with ghoul patrol. Pretty easy to buy once I can (2 SC, AAR, Varghulf and 2 boxes of ghouls and one separate ghast courtier from somewhere). But that’s gonna be closer to my endgame list, since I own nothing right now.

For a starter 1000pt list/vanguard I was thinking:

Feast Day

AGKoRTG

Varghulf

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

3 flayers

command point.

Can be done with 2 SC and a Varghulf and gives me a second flayer squad to summon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KibaWildFang said:

one separate ghast courtier from somewhere).

Might try eBay...

or PM me, postage is on you from Germany 

Sir Reginald the Stoic might as well get finished after four years and see some action in some land far far away

15DE86E6-DAE5-4BB8-9361-188D4765C4D1.jpeg

On another note, Ive come up with a macabrely romantic backstory for my upcoming court and my girlfriend’s Nighthaunt. Giving the backbone of the story.

A King and Queen once ruled a fairly prosperous kingdom, but the Queen fell ill and died. The King fell into despair and eventually desperation. He isolated himself, speaking to none but his closest advisors, his most loyal knights, and his two younger siblings... and even then, only rarely. Without their monarch, the kingdom started to decline in its prosperity.

The king poured over tomes of arcane knowledge, but he found nothing that could bring his beloved back. On the eve that he decided to take his own life, a stranger cloaked in shadow appeared in his chambers. He offered the King a way to bring back his dearest queen’s soul, but the price would be costly. The ritual he offered to teach required the sacrifice of his wife’s section of the court. The king, weakened by desperation and many a sleepless night, and thus susceptible to the madness radiating off of the stranger, agreed without hesitation.

The ritual was a success, but not in the context that the king was promised. The souls of the sacrificed courtiers came screaming back from the realm of death, and with them, the spirit of his beloved wife appeared before him. The madness had already taken root in the king’s mind; he did not see horrific apparitions, but his Queen,  as she was before she died, still beautiful and perfect, surrounded by her closest court members. His delusion was so powerful, that even the returned spirits saw themselves as the king did.

The king was overjoyed and gave innumerable thanks to the shadowy stranger, who the king saw as completely benevolent. He asked how he could ever repay this kindness, for giving him back the one thing he held most dear. The stranger told him there was, indeed, one way...

He revealed to the king that he sought to spread his legacy of magical knowledge to a worthy successor. In his travels, the stranger noted that only the king had proven capable of handling his art. There was but one final gift he had to give to him: his blood. With it, not only could the king fully harness the subtleties of the stranger’s magic, but he would evade his inevitable mortal end. The king would rule eternal next to his queen, and resume his reign of endless prosperity for his people. Overjoyed, he agreed once more.

Imbibing the stranger’s blood brought upon a gruesome transformation, finishing what the madness started. He became a vampiric abomination, yet he did not see it this way. He saw himself back in his youthful prime, fit and strong, untouched by old age. He turned to eagerly thank the stranger yet again, but he had vanished.

With his queen by his side, he broke his seclusion and summoned his younger brothers into his chambers. His grief-stricken siblings were at first appalled, but quickly joined their brother and sister-in-law in madness, as they were no match for the dark powers he now possessed. He spread his gift to them, and soon to his most loyal court. 

Upon his emergence, he witnessed what his absence and neglect had done to his kingdom. His lands were ravaged by invaders and famine. His people had since turned to scavenging and cannibalism. The king did not see them as starving aberrations, just as he did not see himself as the Abhorrant Archregent he had become; he did, however, see them suffering.

With a wave of command, he set his court to gather both his people and whatever bounty they could find, and he had them brought before him. He organized a lavish feast, an event to unite his people once again. He shared the blessed wine of his blood with old champions and knight-captains alike, elevating them into Varghulfs and Haunters.

On that night, at that feast, he ordered the ordering of the Scions of the Gryphon, a sect of holy knights that were to become the King’s angelic enforcers after taking a piece of the sacred gryphon into themselves. In reality, they dined upon the flesh of a Terrorgheist, and in doing so transformed into the first Flayers and Infernals of the Court.

No matter the knight, no matter the champion or serf, they all saw themselves as returned to their glory days.

The feast resulted in the king’s madness fully claiming the minds of all in his kingdom. There was not a single individual that did not see the dilapidated ruins as the ornate townships they once had been, nor see themselves as anything but just and proud serfs and soldiers. The offal they supped upon was nothing but the finest foods gathered from across the land. The ghastly banshees and chainrasps flitting ethereally among them were but the queen’s own guards and handmaidens, distributing the bounty all across the kingdom.

And so, the king looked upon his people and smiled. In his heart, however, he knew that this paradise could not go unguarded. Barbarians from the outside would covet his prosperity, as they had done so before. He could not fail his people again. This time, he would fight alongside them, and lead them to victory.

So began the reign of King Veindrinker.

Edited by KibaWildFang
Lore fix for Flayers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, Honk said:

Got any ranking too? Not that it matters that much.

the thing with the patrol is the ambush mechanic, which together with your summoning can really give you nice board  and objectives. 
but as I said above, theorycrafting is one thing, outplaying your opponent another. 10 ghouls without support are lone little kittens in a wolf den. Same goes for min squats of knights.

and suddenly things get pretty complicated, place your units right and you dominated your poor enemy with objective and board control. Ambushed a little bit wrong and they got crushed en passant and your ready to go home end of round 3 👻

if you go on a feast day field trip with 2x6 flayers and a gkotg, you‘re playing pretty straightforward „FEC for dummies“, same goes for 120-180 ghouls in a morgaunts last stand set up... 

In all fairness, I didn’t see any placings, save for Bill’s list being mentioned out of all of them. Either way, I don’t mind. I’m using it as a milestone for 2000 point games. My whole line of thinking is... I’m not going to be a tournament player, but that doesn’t mean I can’t gleam wisdom from tournament lists! I’m in it for fun and I don’t mind losing, but I don’t want to do nothing but lose and regret buying the army. Did that enough in 40k (and in all fairness I had to make my own Word Bearers list because no one was making any good ones... shocker). Here, however, I have a lot more resources at my disposal, with an army that is, in its comparative setting, innately strong on its own. It also helps that I believe I’m going to enjoy AoS as a system much more than wh40k.  Either way, I’m willing to learn and only needed to know where to start!

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Might try eBay...

or PM me, postage is on you from Germany 

Sir Reginald the Stoic might as well get finished after four years and see some action in some land far far away

15DE86E6-DAE5-4BB8-9361-188D4765C4D1.jpeg

I’m a little thin on funds at the moment but if you are willing to wait, I would be happy to give Sir Reginald the Stoic a home in King Veindrinker’s court! Why, a position for a courtier just opened up...

So going on Honk’s 2x6 Flayers thing (at least partially, having one blob of 6 flayers) I’ve thought up a couple more Feast Day lists:

AAR (dark wizardry, dermal robe, spectral host)

AGKoRTG (some relic like Feather or Cloak, Deranged Transformation, gruesome bite)

crypt ghast courtier

crypt ghast courtier

40 ghouls

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

6 flayers

ghoul patrol
chalice

barricade

extra cp

=2000

OR

AAR

AGKoRTG

crypt ghast courtier

varghulf courtier

30 ghouls

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

6 flayers

ghoul patrol

chalice

extra cp

=2000

summons would probably both still grab 3 flayers and a varghulf either way. One just gives up 10 ghouls, extra Ghast courtier, and barricade for an extra varghulf.

Which would do better? Also sorry for excessive posting, got a lot on the brain right now!

Edited by KibaWildFang
Correcting a few things
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KibaWildFang said:

Which would do better?

I personally like fielding an infernal as general with dark acolyte to have a third caster. The gkotg spell is too good, same goes for the hunger spell from the regent... 

but imo the first list should be pretty decent. 40 ghouls with 2 courtiers will have massive regen. Summon a varghulf for the flayers and the bloodbath can start.

second list with potentially two varghulfs might be stronger, making the flayers almost immortal, but that are minor adjustments.

3 minutes ago, Honk said:

I personally like fielding an infernal as general with dark acolyte to have a third caster. The gkotg spell is too good, same goes for the hunger spell from the regent... 

but imo the first list should be pretty decent. 40 ghouls with 2 courtiers will have massive regen. Summon a varghulf for the flayers and the bloodbath can start.

second list with potentially two varghulfs might be stronger, making the flayers almost immortal, but that are minor adjustments.

Alright. I’ll probably end up trying all three out honestly. Im gonna need a lot of ghouls lol

• Haha 1

Been weighing options. I really would like to run a squad of 6 flayers alongside my ghoul blob. But I’m at a crossroads, with the lists from earlier. I could just summon the Varghulf in end of movement phase but Im not guaranteed to get him near the Flayers where he needs to be. But if I run a Varghulf in the main build I have to cut a crypt ghast courtier (which Im fine with. The Varghulf does his job better), but I will also have to cut 10 ghouls from the big unit. And the main advice for ghouls are either run them 40 or run them 10.

On the other hand, Ive seen a tournament winning list run ghoul patrol and their biggest squad was 20. I was also thinking to make up for the lack of 10 ghouls, that I give the Medal of Madness to the ghast courtier, so once per battle round he can get a free Inspiring Presence so the big blob gets immunity to battleshock for that turn, allowing me to muster/chalice them back to better strength.

Can anyone weigh in?

Oh also— I was looking into the start collecting box. The GW website shows that you can only make crypt horrors out of it but other places say it also has the bits for Flayers. Which is true?

Edited by KibaWildFang
Question about the Start Collecting

3 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

Oh also— I was looking into the start collecting box. The GW website shows that you can only make crypt horrors out of it but other places say it also has the bits for Flayers. Which is true?

You can make both Flayers or Horrors from it. The sprue always includes all the pieces.

• Thanks 1

I'm a total noob at AoS, only played a single introduction game, like a year ago, but my goal is to have an fieldable army soon. I'm looking to speed it up by starting with a really low model count army, as an old Strigoi veteran it sounded like Gristlegore would be great. Found this old (April 2019) tournament winner:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, command trait Savage Strike, artefact Ghurhish Mawshard, mount Gruesome Bite, Lore of Madness Spectral Host

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host 

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host

Abhorrant Archregent, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host

10 x Crypt Ghouls 

10 x Crypt Ghouls 

10 x Crypt Ghouls

Endless Spells Chronomantic Cogs

So is this list still competitive? How would you play it? Are you supposed to summon units with the heroes, like 2x3 Crypt Horrors and 2 Varghulfs?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

This list grabbed 2nd place in a GT around the same time

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

Grand Court: Gristlegore

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, General, Trait: Savage Strike, Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard, Lore of Madness: Blood Feast, Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon,  Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host, Mount Trait: Razor-clawed

Abhorrant Archregent,  Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour

Abhorrant Ghoul King,  Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battleline

10 x Crypt Ghouls

10 x Crypt Ghouls

10 x Crypt Ghouls

Battalions

Ghoul Patrol

Endless Spells

Cadaverous Barricade (30)

Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Corpsemare Stampede (60)

Extra Command Points: 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which list is better in your opinion?

2 hours ago, N.I.B. said:

I'm a total noob at AoS, only played a single introduction game, like a year ago, but my goal is to have an fieldable army soon. I'm looking to speed it up by starting with a really low model count army, as an old Strigoi veteran it sounded like Gristlegore would be great. Found this old (April 2019) tournament winner:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, command trait Savage Strike, artefact Ghurhish Mawshard, mount Gruesome Bite, Lore of Madness Spectral Host

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host 

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host

Abhorrant Archregent, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host

10 x Crypt Ghouls 

10 x Crypt Ghouls 

10 x Crypt Ghouls

Endless Spells Chronomantic Cogs

So is this list still competitive? How would you play it? Are you supposed to summon units with the heroes, like 2x3 Crypt Horrors and 2 Varghulfs?

This list grabbed 2nd place in a GT around the same time

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

Grand Court: Gristlegore

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist, General, Trait: Savage Strike, Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard, Lore of Madness: Blood Feast, Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon,  Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak, Lore of Madness: Spectral Host, Mount Trait: Razor-clawed

Abhorrant Archregent,  Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour

Abhorrant Ghoul King,  Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battleline

10 x Crypt Ghouls

10 x Crypt Ghouls

10 x Crypt Ghouls

Battalions

Ghoul Patrol

Endless Spells

Cadaverous Barricade (30)

Chalice of Ushoran (40)

Corpsemare Stampede (60)

Which list is better in your opinion?

From my understanding, Gristlegore is still strong just not *as* strong as it was. Also, the second list having all three endless Spells seems a little much? Chalice may not be the best for smaller ghoul squads,  but probably good for your monsters

So I think I’ve found out what I’m building towards! For 1000 points its either going to be:

Feast Day, AGKoRTG, 10 ghouls, 10 ghouls, varghulf, 3 flayers (summoning flayers or horrors) extra CP

or

Feast Day, AGK, Varghulf, crypt ghast courtier, 10 ghouls, 10 ghouls, 3 crypt flayers, 3 crypt horrors, Royal Mordants (summoning 10 ghouls)

For 2000pts I’m pretty happy with:

Feast Day, AAR (Dark Wizardry, Dermal Robe, spectral host) AGKoRTG (miasmal shroud or Blood Feast, gruesome bite), Varghulf, crypt ghast courtier (medal of madness), 30 ghouls, 10 ghouls, 10 ghouls, 6 Flayers, Ghoul Patrol, Chalice, extra CP. (AAR summoning either flayers, 20 ghouls or more likely another Varghulf, AGKoRTG summoning Flayers or Horrors).

I tried hard to keep 40 ghouls but not having the main-list varghulf to back up the Flayer swarm felt too bad. So my band-aid for that was 30 ghouls hanging near at least the Crypt Ghast Courtier with the Medal (to get a free ignore battleshock once per round), so he can make them sturdier with Deathless Courtiers, help trigger feeding frenzy, and stay screened enough to muster. If I’m going to have to use one for ghoul patrol, I’m going to get the most out of him. Sucks not having a protection relic on the AGKoRTG but hey, Miasmal Shroud. Not 100% competitive but my friends and I aren’t going to tournaments, but we still want to be able to win, sooo...

I have an unholy liking to what Varghulf’s bring to the table. Cool beefy feral vampiric thing? Check. Muster Serfs and Knights? Oh yeah. Fly and high movement? Mmhm. Able to keep up with the Flayer Squad and make them scarier? Got it covered. Chomps hordes? Pretty well, yeah. I want at the minimum one in my army. Two if I can. But absolutely, *must* have one. I don’t even care if its only in metal or failcast and hasn’t been updated visually like the rest of the line. I want them.

Edited by KibaWildFang
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, KibaWildFang said:

You guys are awesome, always giving great advice. Thank you.

Out of these I think I really want to do the double mounted ghoul kings with ghoul patrol. Pretty easy to buy once I can (2 SC, AAR, Varghulf and 2 boxes of ghouls and one separate ghast courtier from somewhere). But that’s gonna be closer to my endgame list, since I own nothing right now.

For a starter 1000pt list/vanguard I was thinking:

Feast Day

AGKoRTG

Varghulf

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

3 flayers

command point.

Can be done with 2 SC and a Varghulf and gives me a second flayer squad to summon.

You'll be better using AGKoRZD and a unit of 6 flayers, summoning Varghulf to support. With just one summon you won't miss the extra CP you are buying, but a unit of 6 flayers have higher chances to hang around. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, KibaWildFang said:

On another note, Ive come up with a macabrely romantic backstory for my upcoming court and my girlfriend’s Nighthaunt. Giving the backbone of the story.

Good story mate, what I love about it the most - it makes perfect sense in the mortal realms!

On 2/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, KibaWildFang said:

elevating them into Varghulfs, Haunters and Infernals

but to make Flayers and Infernals a ghoul is supposed to consume flesh of Terrorgheist.

1 hour ago, XReN said:

You'll be better using AGKoRZD and a unit of 6 flayers, summoning Varghulf to support. With just one summon you won't miss the extra CP you are buying, but a unit of 6 flayers have higher chances to hang around. 

Hmm okay. I dunno if that can fit in 1000 though. I suppose they would be okay on their own for a minute until the varghulf catches up.

At 980 I get:

AGKoRZD (majestic horror, razor-clawed, deranged transformation/bloodfeast/miasmal shroud, one of them. Blood-River Chalice or Gryph-Feather Charm)

6 flayers

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

no room for the extra CP unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, XReN said:

Good story mate, what I love about it the most - it makes perfect sense in the mortal realms!

but to make Flayers and Infernals a ghoul is supposed to consume flesh of Terrorgheist.

Oh you’re right. I read that the other night. I’ll edit!

Changed it to be:

With a wave of command, he set his court to gather both his people and whatever bounty they could find, and he had them brought before him. He organized a lavish feast, an event to unite his people once again. He shared the blessed wine of his blood with old champions and knight-captains alike, elevating them into Varghulfs and Haunters.

On that night, at that feast, he ordered the ordering of the Scions of the Gryphon, a sect of holy knights that were to become the King’s angelic enforcers after taking a piece of the sacred gryphon into themselves. In reality, they dined upon the flesh of a Terrorgheist, and in doing so transformed into the first Flayers and Infernals of the Court.

No matter the knight, no matter the champion or serf, they all saw themselves as returned to their glory days.

Edited by KibaWildFang

10 hours ago, N.I.B. said:

That’s not possible any more...

2 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

What would such a list look like?

??? That was posted right above your question...?!?

buy 3 Start Collecting boxes, get 1-2 varghulfs...

you have 3x10 ghouls for battleline and 3 mounted ghoulkings (GkoTg and 2 GkoZd) and 6 Flayers plus one extra Command Point, that sums up to 1990 points.

summon two varghulf, storm up the board. The flayers with the varghulf should be pretty sturdy.

with the ca from the gkotg you could also summon 3 more knights to push objectives late game...

all the fun in three boxes and two varghulfs

50 minutes ago, Honk said:

That’s not possible any more...

Then what is possible? Btw, what's the point of a Zombie Dragon mount, it's more expensive than a Terrorgheist but looks slightly worse in combat. Is a Varghulf better than 3 Crypt Horrors/Flayers? 

The spell of the zombie dragon is very good with a pack of crypt horrors. The horrors will then re-roll hit and wound. Last time I played a terrorgheist, I killed a unit of 6 dragon ogors. So if you want mortal wounds and close combat monster pick the terrorgheist. If you want a buffing unit pick the dragon zombie.

A varghulf is always usefull. They can rez unists ans can do good damage in melee.

• Like 1

Yeah the Zombie Dragon aggressive spell is a nice tool. It's weird how AoS spells and command abilities are set, that you're forced to have a certain spell/CA just because you have a certain mount. It would be better to have the option of Malefic Hunger and summon a Varghulf on a Terrorgheist rider, the Zombie Dragon looks more like a tax you pay to get the abilities.

The second list can summon 2 Varghulfs, 10 Ghouls and 2x3 Crypt Horrors. Or Flayers. In this list, would Horrors or Flayers usually be better against most armies, or does it depend completely on the matchup? Asking because I want to know what to assemble.