AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

On 1/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, Snips said:

Hey yall. New to AoS and FEC. Dont see much Hollowmourne lists on here. Is it not that great? Anyone got a decent list for it? 

Hollowmourne is the "knight" faction and  blisterkin is superior for flayer heavy lists. This leaves  horror heavy lists as the only real  option for Hollowmourne and horrors just aren't great. It's not terrible but it's distinctly worse than other meta options (feast day, blisterkin, gristlegore). 

• Sad 1

On 1/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, Snips said:

Hey yall. New to AoS and FEC. Dont see much Hollowmourne lists on here. Is it not that great? Anyone got a decent list for it? 

As mentioned above, there are better options, since they are still expensive, since they have no save (5+😝), no rend, and profile is weak against -1 to hit debuffs, which are very common imo.

A murderball with a gkozd and 9 horrors, backline Archregent and two courtiers, that can be quite viable, but not against a waac list. Against low save mobs sure but you’ll need to get the charge off.

their low save really makes them pretty fragile and if they fight against a good save you’ll achieve nothing and either get killed off or have half your army stuck debuffed into the ground somewhere (plaquebearers or 3+ mortek guard...)

the court in itself also is not really good. Even blisterskin with +2 move gives more imo and as usual going feast day saves you roughly 6-10 cp in 3-5 rounds of melee combat (don’t really fight on turn 1, buuuut...)

so there you have it, sadly there are other stronger options available, but since this game should be about having fun...

Attendants at court works good and against mobs the Abbatoir sounds pretty nice...

FOR THE LADYYYYY!!!

Edited by Honk

Ah okay. Compared to flayers they really dont have much to offer especially since flayers plus blisterskin seems a lot scarier (deadwatch is spooky too). I might actually go with morgaunt in the end cuz i like endless hordes too and the color scheme is my fav of the grand courts.  Any tips for them?

So i am looking for some advice on both assembly and pitched battle compositions.

I have ordered the following and will be getting it shortly,

2x FEC start collecting boxes
4x Crypt flayer boxes
2x Crypt ghoul boxes

1x FEC Endless spells box

Iam a bit confused regarding assembly since people are saying you could kit bash and make units into something they originally arent.

With that material at hand what would you create and is it worth it assembling the horrors or should/can i make something else of them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Kind regards
Luke

16 hours ago, Snips said:

Ah okay. Compared to flayers they really dont have much to offer especially since flayers plus blisterskin seems a lot scarier (deadwatch is spooky too). I might actually go with morgaunt in the end cuz i like endless hordes too and the color scheme is my fav of the grand courts.  Any tips for them?

Well Horrors aren't that bad.  They're more durable compared to the flayers and they can deal some good damage but as already pointed out, they're not the optimal choice in a competitive field. 

Morgaunt is fun and can be pretty nasty from time to time, I once had 30 ghouls killing 2 Bloodthirsters  plus some footsoldiers, but I wouldn't call them competitive either. When you're playing Morgaunt you should definitely use the Chalice of Ushoran. Chalice + a Courtier will make 30-40 ghouls nigh impossible to kill.  And in case they die you can spend a CP and resurrect them on a 4+.  Just avoid units with rend like Bestigors, Grimghast, etc.

7 hours ago, Gunvor said:

So i am looking for some advice on both assembly and pitched battle compositions.

I have ordered the following and will be getting it shortly,

2x FEC start collecting boxes
4x Crypt flayer boxes
2x Crypt ghoul boxes

1x FEC Endless spells box

Iam a bit confused regarding assembly since people are saying you could kit bash and make units into something they originally arent.

With that material at hand what would you create and is it worth it assembling the horrors or should/can i make something else of them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Kind regards
Luke

There are just two models you can't get out of the Start Collecting Boxes, the Varghulf + the Archregent. Which are, unfortunately, quite essential for a lot of powerful lists.  Other than that, you can build everything you need from the boxes you ordered.

Regarding your question on what to build, we've had similar questions a couple of pages (115) ago. Generally speaking theres not much you can do wrong. If you like Horrors go for them, they might not be as competitive as Flayers but they're still capable of pulling their weight.  In short:

If you want to a competitive and strong list go either for something Flayer-heavy (Blisterskin) or something with the big bats (Gristlegore), if you just want to have a good time, build whatever you want.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SevenXes said:

There are just two models you can't get out of the Start Collecting Boxes, the Varghulf + the Archregent. Which are, unfortunately, quite essential for a lot of powerful lists.  Other than that, you can build everything you need from the boxes you ordered.

Regarding your question on what to build, we've had similar questions a couple of pages (115) ago. Generally speaking theres not much you can do wrong. If you like Horrors go for them, they might not be as competitive as Flayers but they're still capable of pulling their weight.  In short:

If you want to a competitive and strong list go either for something Flayer-heavy (Blisterskin) or something with the big bats (Gristlegore), if you just want to have a good time, build whatever you want.  

Thank you for your reply.

So i looked around on GW's store they dont seem to have the Abhorrant Archregent for sale at all.
If i understood you correctly, the materials i ordered should be able to provide me with a bashkited one?

Edited by Gunvor

4 hours ago, Gunvor said:

If i understood you correctly, the materials i ordered should be able to provide me with a bashkited one?

Well, with two SC-Boxes you‘ll have two ghoulkings. One could be upgraded with left overs from the horror-flayer sprues or simply just get an extra shiny base. 
Of course then you can’t field double gkotg lists... a bit of a mess what GW did there.

New list to try out. If you guys could, give me some feedback. Going to try and pilot this until the Summer, at which point I'll play in a GT in Philly. Let me know. As for "why" the ZD instead of a second Terrorgheist, simply for variation. If I DO change out the ZD, I will probably look to juggle in another endless spell, possibly the barricade.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

- Mortal Realm: Ulgu

- Grand Court: Blisterskin

LEADERS

Abhorrant Archregent (240)

- General

- Command Trait : Hellish Orator

- Lore of Madness : Spectral Host

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)

- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak

- Lore of Madness : Blood Feast

- Mount Trait : Gruesome Bite

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)

- Artefact : Eye of Hysh

- Lore of Madness : Monstrous Vigour

- Mount Trait : Razor-clawed

Varghulf Courtier (160)

UNITS

10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

3 x Crypt Horrors (130)

BATTALIONS

Royal Mordants (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Extra Command Point (50)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Aphotic said:

If you guys could, give me some feedback.

You gotta field it... I‘m not fond of min squats for flayers or horrors. Also the battalion is garbage, but I guess for the cp and the trait and the artifact one has to make amends...still would love a 6flayer unit more

battalion might be useful to move the varghulf up the field so the knights can’t charge out of regen/undead save range.

4 hours ago, Honk said:

You gotta field it... I‘m not fond of min squats for flayers or horrors. Also the battalion is garbage, but I guess for the cp and the trait and the artifact one has to make amends...still would love a 6flayer unit more

battalion might be useful to move the varghulf up the field so the knights can’t charge out of regen/undead save range.

I actually think the battalion is great. I a little tax heavy for sure but if you up the flayers to 6 or 9 they provide a guaranteed 24" move and then charge. 28" move in blisterskin. Gives you turn 1 alpha or beta  strike to hit practically anything you want. All you need is to pass the d3 attacks spell and you're golden. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LJ26 said:

Gives you turn 1 alpha

Yes, technically correct and if YOU know how to use it to max efficiency all is great.

if you‘ll spectral host and ferocious hunger 6-9 flayers sure, you have quite a nice alpha that could rip the heart out of many armies.

But I’m not quite sold on suicide charges...

If your opponents leaves room for unit placement, doesn’t charge block etc. kinda one trick pony 

🤔 could also use it kinda late game for rapid redeploy... switch flanks or threaten enemy home base in turn 3/4 with a long jump

starts growing on me...

Hey there,
there is planned a big tourney in my LGS and I was thinkig about this list :
- Grand Court: Hollowmourne
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- General
- Trait: Grave Robber
- Artefact: Corpsefane Gauntlet
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Varghulf Courtier (160)
9 x Crypt Horrors (390)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
Royal Mordants (120)
Extra Command Point (50)
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Plan is to wait for second turn (or first, if there will be range for FF and other CA ) to and make 3 Charges ( TG,Flyers,Horrors)
Fully buff one unit and ...well xD kill everything :)
I personally think that this Grand Court can be pretty strong  with combination of Royal Mordants (Horrors can move twice ,run twice and still get to charge. (2x7" + 2xD6+1" and 2D6+1") looks huge to me (of course if there is range to heroes for CA and re-rolls) and also Flyers can catch almost anything that try to escape :D
Please tell me what you guys think .

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Rassnik said:

Please tell me what you guys think .

While contemplating I came up with only 6 horrors and an Infernal as general (dark alcolyte) ... and the barricade to round up the points.

if that really works remains to be seen. 

19 minutes ago, Honk said:

While contemplating I came up with only 6 horrors and an Infernal as general (dark alcolyte) ... and the barricade to round up the points.

if that really works remains to be seen. 

So you want me to drop the GC and go for FeastDay?

Hi everyone!

I am starting to collect Flesh eaters, nobody in my group has it and I am really liking it. I have a few doubts about the assembly of the miniatures

I'm going to start with 2 starting collection, how is it better to ride the dragons? like terrorgheist or dragon zombie? I think terrorgheist is better, but I prefer to ask

I really like flyer units, with the start collection can flayers be mounted? or just Crypt Horrors? If you can ride both, how about riding 3 of each type?

I am looking for an archregent abhorrent, how do you do the conversion? Can you recommend me any female miniature to make that character?

The Ghoul King is easier to do with  bits?

Thank you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

Hi everyone!

Welcome...

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

how is it better to ride the dragons?

only Model that rides a dragon or gheist is a ghoulking 

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

I have a few doubts about the assembly of the miniatures

Watch out, the arms/wings are torso specific, if you’re going to magnetize for flayer/horror (which I totally botched) you’ll have to carefully keep them separated.

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

can flayers be mounted? or just Crypt Horrors?

no and no (only the kings)

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

how do you do the conversion?

still thinking about a celestial-prime conversion, but now just using the king on foot. If you want to play in a GW rummage through the mini-range, maybe even 40k saint Celestine, switch of head for a dark elf or vampire lady and you’re good to go. Flayer arms as Wings or something from the tyranid range...

1 hour ago, zoso87 said:

? I think terrorgheist is better, but I prefer to ask

yes, generally speaking the 6 mortal wounds from the maw is just superb. The dragon has its uses, a nice command and a pretty good spell...  but the gheist with the mount trait to reroll all to-hits getting extra attacks from an archregent and rerolling them kinda fishing for sixes. Just too good

Edited by Honk

Hope it is allowed to post some pictures of a game here^^. Played a 1000 point game yesterday against woodelves with some wanderers. Wanted to play daemons with the new legion of the first prince, but the urge two play with my zombiedragons was bigger ;).

Here's the list of my opponnent:

Allegiance: Order
Wayfinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Waywatcher (120)
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
5 x Wardancers (60)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000

and here is my army ;)

- Grand Court: Gristlegore
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- General
- Trait: Savage Strike
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Ghurish Mawshard
Royal Zombie Dragon (300)
Royal Zombie Dragon (300)

Total: 920 / 1000

80points down, but I didn't know what to buy instead. I have very few Flesheater stuff, cause I only collect rnd miniatures. I also love monster mash armies so I often collect only the bigger models =).

IMG_20200208_210342.jpg.0c9c6bdac313660fa218ed06a9197761.jpg

The Varghulf between the two Dragons is my general, the unpainted one is the one with the artefact. I only had 4 models to deploy so I decided that the woodelves should and some of them where to far away for shooting in their first turn.

Mission was to hold objectives with your heroes, 3 objectives where on the board.

I got my Varghulfs on a objective each and could hold it the first round.

Second round the elves blasted one of my varghulfs away and I killed a bunch of them with my dragons. My general hid behind a ruin camping his objective. One of the woodelf heroes got onto an objective the other run towards a second one but couldn't reach it yet.

Third turn I killed a bunch more elves but my dragons got very low on hp and I could kill the second hero who was running toward the second objective.  At this time my left dragon only had 1 hp left and the other I think 4.

Fourth turn  the woodelves killed my general and I couldn't score anymore (had 3 vp at this point), cause I left my objective the turn before to charge a unit of waywatchers, to free up my dragon. Both dragons were really low, one on 1 hp the other on two. Only chance to get a draw maybe was to kill the waywatcher hero. Rolled three times a six with pestilental breath (hit, wound, dmg) and the elf was no more.

We called it a game here, but I think the rest of the waywatchers would have killed my dragons pretty soon and wipe me off the board.

IMG_20200208_223101.jpg.42aa03f7aeef211bff38c7cef1f49578.jpg

Or do you think I would have had a chance to win? ;)

Was a pretty cool game and a lot of fun to only play with 4 models against 50 or more XD

How would you expand my list onto 1500 points vanguard, but keeping the monster mash theme?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darksider said:

Or do you think I would have had a chance to win?

Probably not... if you would have proxied them as terrorgheists, they would have healed d3 in your herophase.

most important thing is having fun. Your list with two varghulf is  daring to say the least

🥳👍

king on gheist and a varghulf

10 ghouls and another gheist/dragon

980 pts

or triple madness Monsters and a ghoul courtier 👻🙈👻

for expansion: of course three beauties, and some magic, maybe proxy your varghulfs as two archregents or one and his king, thinking about the chalice of ushoran to heal

king on gheist, two dragons 

10 ghouls Archregent and the chalice and an extra CP for feeding frenzies, maybe the barricade or the vortex

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, XReN said:

The same list will be much better in Blisterskin in pretty much every way. And that would be a truly good list to field.

And that is a problem , as always xD

Blisterskin is good because od teleport CA( disengage and redeploy)  but Hollowmourne gives move bonus (run +1 and charge +1) and re-rolls 1's to wound on charge .

3 hours ago, Rassnik said:

And that is a problem , as always xD

Blisterskin is good because od teleport CA( disengage and redeploy)  but Hollowmourne gives move bonus (run +1 and charge +1) and re-rolls 1's to wound on charge .

Blisterskin gives +2 to movement to your entire army which is enough to bring Royal Mordants Horrors anywhere you want and you can always cast Deranged Transformation on your Knights to make them dummy fast, it beats Hollowmourne CA every day of the week. It also has stronger Trait and Artefact, Redeploy CA is just a cherry on top.

Hollowmourne exists primarily for friendly play.

22 minutes ago, XReN said:

Blisterskin gives +2 to movement to your entire army which is enough to bring Royal Mordants Horrors anywhere you want and you can always cast Deranged Transformation on your Knights to make them dummy fast, it beats Hollowmourne CA every day of the week. It also has stronger Trait and Artefact, Redeploy CA is just a cherry on top.

Hollowmourne exists primarily for friendly play.

Ok , I will stick to Blisterskin . Tell me - is it worth to trade 10 ghouls for Crypt Haunter ?

Does anyone run Arkhan with their FEC?  I am considering this list as Blisterskin

Arkahn

2x AGoTK

Abhorrant Archregent

3x3 Crypt Flayers

1 CP

Use the 2 AGoTK to summon more flayers and the Abhorrant Archregent to summon a Varghulf.  Then hope I have the staying power to last the match.  Any ideas or similar builds?