AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

7 hours ago, Storm1 said:

Is that good, because even if you only get one hit or wound, if you reroll hits or wound you take the chance of getting none, and for the 6s do 6 mortal wounds for terrorghiest, will the 6 mortal wounds still count?

Sorry, one more question, why does the GKoTG cost less than the GHoZD, how is the GKoSD better?

You don't have to reroll succesfull rolls, you just can do it. Examples when this is handy are: when you get debuffs to your hit/wound rolls, "reroll failed" only allows you to reroll rolls that are failed before modifiers are applied, so horrors with -1 to hit would only reroll 1s 2s and 3s, not 4s. And in case of horrors rerolling succesfull wound rolls allows you to fish for 6s, I usually reroll 3s along with fails.

GKoZD gives more buffs to your army and has better breath and claws attacks than GKoTG, where the latter is just a self-sufficiet murderball that can also summon lesser murder balls. Guess that's the logic behind their costs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Marthen said:

What are people’s thoughts on this list to take advantage of the points drop for horrors?

Hollowmourne%20Royal%20Mordants.pdf 764.7 kB · 4 downloads

Looks solid, I'm going to steal it and give it a go when I get 3 more horrors done.

Also will comment on grave robber trait for anyone who might see it as lacking - it is amazing when it comes into play, even when given to Ghoul King

4 hours ago, XReN said:

You don't have to reroll successful rolls, you just can do it. Examples when this is handy are: when you get debuffs to your hit/wound rolls, "reroll failed" only allows you to reroll rolls that are failed before modifiers are applied, so horrors with -1 to hit would only reroll 1s 2s and 3s, not 4s. And in case of horrors rerolling successful wound rolls allows you to fish for 6s, I usually reroll 3s along with fails.

So I can choose to reroll whatever I want to?

Edited by Storm1

1 hour ago, Storm1 said:

what is a good paint scheme for the Crypt ghouls models i

One tribe (red bases) goes from brown to pale flesh, the others (blackish-blue bases) goe from dark blue to pale white.

rapid fire airbrushing, with brown or blue wash in between...

then all the little details

CBCCB2CD-7960-436E-B89F-14BDB5692602.jpeg

close up 

912CECBF-83B4-4187-8B72-8B9CC232417F.jpeg

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Honk said:

One tribe (red bases) goes from brown to pale flesh, the others (blackish-blue bases) goe from dark blue to pale white.

rapid fire airbrushing, with brown or blue wash in between...

then all the little details

CBCCB2CD-7960-436E-B89F-14BDB5692602.jpeg

close up 

912CECBF-83B4-4187-8B72-8B9CC232417F.jpeg

Thanks,

Which tribe is the black/blue bases?

The tribe I use is Morgaunt.

I want to finish off my black primer because I just bought it, and I don't want to have to buy a new one.

If I don't have an airbrush, should I spray the models black, then paint over the flesh with white, and then paint in all the details going over everything with a brownish blackish wash.

Also, could I see a close up of the black crypt ghouls, and terrorgheist.

Sorry, one other question, does matt or gloss finish ruin the look of the blood for the blood god paint?

Edited by Storm1

16 hours ago, Storm1 said:

Thanks,

The tribe I use is Morgaunt.

I want to finish off my black primer because I just bought it, and I don't want to have to buy a new one.

If I don't have an airbrush, should I spray the models black, then paint over the flesh with white, and then paint in all the details going over everything with a brownish blackish wash.

Also, could I see a close up of the black crypt ghouls, and terrorgheist.

Sorry, one other question, does matt or gloss finish ruin the look of the blood for the blood god paint?

I'd recommend you to leave black primer for other projects or sell it to other hobbist and buy white primer, probably GW Grey Seer, though I don't have expirience with Army Painter's white primer, if you know it's good, than use what brand you prefer. Than go by the battletome guidelines and have yourself Morgaunt Flesh-Eaters.

If you decide to stick with black primer than use grey paint as the base for white, painting white over grey instead of black will let you use much less layers of paint to get good coverage.  And also I won't recommend using pure white as your white, off-whites such as GW Ulthuan Grey are much less of a pain to use.

If talking about varnishing than you shouldn't use gloss varnish as your finish varnish anyway, go matt or satin. Now matt varnish can possibly ruin Blood for the Blood God and there are 2 ways to go about it: you can either apply it after your finishing varnish, or apply gloss varnish by brush over BftFG after finishing models with matt or satin varnish. It will make it look wet and fresh. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, XReN said:

I'd recommend you to leave black primer for other projects or sell it to other hobbist and buy white primer, probably GW Grey Seer, though I don't have expirience with Army Painter's white primer, if you know it's good, than use what brand you prefer. Than go by the battletome guidelines and have yourself Morgaunt Flesh-Eaters.

If you decide to stick with black primer than use grey paint as the base for white, painting white over grey instead of black will let you use much less layers of paint to get good coverage.  And also I won't recommend using pure white as your white, off-whites such as GW Ulthuan Grey are much less of a pain to use.

If talking about varnishing than you shouldn't use gloss varnish as your finish varnish anyway, go matt or satin. Now matt varnish can possibly ruin Blood for the Blood God and there are 2 ways to go about it: you can either apply it after your finishing varnish, or apply gloss varnish by brush over BftFG after finishing models with matt or satin varnish. It will make it look wet and fresh. 

Can I use the crypt ghouls paint tutorial, but use chaos black to spray instead of grey

On 12/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, Storm1 said:

They come from the far north ... long before there were any tribes 🤗

this is the court of Harald, dem Herrlichen (the magnificent) Bewahrer des Blutsees (?wardens? of the bloodlake)

On 12/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, Storm1 said:

does matt or gloss finish ruin the look of the blood for the blood god paint?

That was in ancient time, before there was bfbg paint...(kinda)

that is just some dabbing of various dark reds and a generous helping of Vallejo water texture. Most of my models also got a gloss varnish also from Vallejo. 

without airbrush, I’ll recommend spray primer and imo black is just the go to Allrounder. Only for very bright models or colors like yellow I would recommend white primer. But even then, I’d rather work up from a darker basecoat than introducing the shadows afterwards. But that is just preference I guess

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Honk said:

They come from the far north ... long before there were any tribes 🤗

this is the court of Harald, dem Herrlichen (the magnificent) Bewahrer des Blutsees (?wardens? of the bloodlake)

That was in ancient time, before there was bfbg paint...(kinda)

that is just some dabbing of various dark reds and a generous helping of Vallejo water texture. Most of my models also got a gloss varnish also from Vallejo. 

without airbrush, I’ll recommend spray primer and imo black is just the go to Allrounder. Only for very bright models or colors like yellow I would recommend white primer. But even then, I’d rather work up from a darker basecoat than introducing the shadows afterwards. But that is just preference I guess

How would you paint crypt ghouls or horrors with black primer? 

Note: Using army painter paints, but have blood for the blood god.

Edited by Storm1

8 hours ago, Storm1 said:

How would you paint crypt ghouls or horrors with black primer? 

With cruel pleasure, laughing maniacally...

Painting skills I guess master class noob to almost amateur 🥳

biggest problems are wife, job, other things and lack of patience.

KD:M survivors...image.jpeg.8611fd6920b3304fe666a71de9675190.jpeg

8308293D-8E4E-4434-BC00-94E01D2EB662.png

all my models get primed in black, no zenithal yet. Models above painted with brushes. 
color wise I usually work in triplets for small minis. I start with a base color, then a mid tone, then an highlight.

standart Operation procedure (upper 4 minis, iirc):

prime: black

base: rakarth flesh (GW)

wash1: reikland fleshshade

base/layer (1+1): r.flesh : kislev flesh (gw)

wash2: r.f.shade

layer: k. Flesh

wash3: r.f.shade

layer/highlight: k.flesh: flayed one flesh(GW)

wash4: r.f.shade diluted 50%

highlight: flayed one flesh

wash5: r.f.shade diluted 50%

with every step, you paint less and less of the mini, and focus more and more on the brighter parts. My paints are diluted with Vallejo flow improver to a milky consistency. If you overdo one step you can always go back and touch up spots with a previous color. If you afterwards want to do really bright or dark spots, no problem. The other model the same, but (iirc) with karak stone; screaming skull; pallid wych flesh and diluted Agrax earthshade

3E249688-1E96-4DA6-95A3-FD2C61FA1C12.jpeg
 Guys with the same SOP, but airbrush... left one noname dark blue; mid blue; pallid wych flesh and drakenhof nightshade wash...

airbrush beginner set is „only“ 100-150€ but really helps and is an interesting tool for a bunch of stuff...especially priming and first base coating can be done with the cheap pistols in the set. No need to buy 200€ pistols (badger just had a birthday sale, top tool for 56$+ shipping+vat)

be brave, things will be fine!!!

3F8EF670-B91E-42C7-A89F-97CD5842CAFF.jpeg

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Honk said:

all my models get primed in black, no zenithal yet. Models above painted with brushes. 
color wise I usually work in triplets for small minis. I start with a base color, then a mid tone, then an highlight.

standart Operation procedure (upper 4 minis, iirc):

prime: black

base: rakarth flesh (GW)

wash1: reikland fleshshade

base/layer (1+1): r.flesh : kislev flesh (gw)

wash2: r.f.shade

layer: k. Flesh

wash3: r.f.shade

layer/highlight: k.flesh: flayed one flesh(GW)

wash4: r.f.shade diluted 50%

highlight: flayed one flesh

wash5: r.f.shade diluted 50%

with every step, you paint less and less of the mini, and focus more and more on the brighter parts. My paints are diluted with Vallejo flow improver to a milky consistency. If you overdo one step you can always go back and touch up spots with a previous color. If you afterwards want to do really bright or dark spots, no problem. The other model the same, but (iirc) with karak stone; screaming skull; pallid wych flesh and diluted Agrax earthshade

3E249688-1E96-4DA6-95A3-FD2C61FA1C12.jpeg
 Guys with the same SOP, but airbrush... left one noname dark blue; mid blue; pallid wych flesh and drakenhof nightshade wash...

airbrush beginner set is „only“ 100-150€ but really helps and is an interesting tool for a bunch of stuff...especially priming and first base coating can be done with the cheap pistols in the set. No need to buy 200€ pistols (badger just had a birthday sale, top tool for 56$+ shipping+vat)

be brave, things will be fine!!!

Thank you!

So for the FEC mini's I am going to prime the model black, then paint the skin white, wash over it with red wash, and paint all the details, and wash over them with brown wash. Spray over it with matte varnish, then cover some of the mini with BFBG.

Will that turn out well?

Edited by Storm1

8 hours ago, Storm1 said:

Will that turn out well?

If you mess it up probably not 🙈

bloodeffect is really just dab on and enjoy, no real troubles there. The matt varnish is not my favorite but that’s something for you to decide and application is also no big deal.

the only thing that could bite you is the jump from black primer to the white skin. I would suggest at least one intermediate color to base for the white, else you‘ll have to apply lots of coats.

all a question of what effect you want to achieve. Take a ghoul, try it out and post a picture...

🥳👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Honk said:

If you mess it up probably not 🙈

bloodeffect is really just dab on and enjoy, no real troubles there. The matt varnish is not my favorite but that’s something for you to decide and application is also no big deal.

the only thing that could bite you is the jump from black primer to the white skin. I would suggest at least one intermediate color to base for the white, else you‘ll have to apply lots of coats.

all a question of what effect you want to achieve. Take a ghoul, try it out and post a picture...

🥳👍

Okay,sounds good thanks for the help, will post a picture when I get the box and start painting them.

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at dusting off my Court.  Are they still pretty high-tier?  I have never been a fan of Gristlegore (nor do I have that many monsters) but I like Blisterskin and Hollowmourne, and would likely build a Blisterskin army as I have 15 Flayers now.  With the slight nerfs to Gristlegore is Blisterskin the way to go now?  Like I said I don't have enough monsters to run Gristlegore (I only have a King on TG and King on ZG)

I originally was going to do something like this:

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Trait: Hellish Orator
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
Deadwatch (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

Having to proxy the second King on TG with a King on ZD.  The Archregent summoning 20 ghouls and each AGKoTG summoning Flayers (or Horrors but probably Flayers).  But it seems a bit light on bodies and it was suggested to me to try something like this instead:

- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
- General
- Trait: Hellish Orator
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Eye of Hysh
9 x Crypt Flayers (510)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
3 x Crypt Horrors (130)
Royal Mordants (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

With again, Archregent summons 20 ghouls, king on foot summons 10 ghouls for a backfield objective, and AGKoTG summoning additional flayers.

Are these lists on the right track with FEC now?  I haven't really played them since long before the new book.

Edited by wayniac

13 hours ago, wayniac said:

With again, Archregent summons 20 ghouls, king on foot summons 10 ghouls for a backfield objective, and AGKoTG summoning additional flayers.

Are these lists on the right track with FEC now?  I haven't really played them since long before the new book.

Second list is far better. Problems with first are lack of extra CP and 3 model flayer units that might end up with objective guarding duty where they will die as easy as 10 ghouls without doing significant impact. 

In the second list you have much more CPs to use feeding frenzy and royal mordants will allow you to royaly mess up your opponent with 28 move on flayers. Also much more bodies to hold objectives.

But I suggest few changes in spell composition: change Regent's spell from Spectral Host to Deranged Transformation and give Spectral Host to TG. Reason is that Transformation will on average give you more extra inches of movement on horrors/flayers and you can still shoot after that, GKs on TG and on foot will always cast their signature spells because they are better than what's in the Lore but at the same time will play mindgames with opponent who will be afraid that TG can run and charge if he casts Host.

And if you really want a speed buff to TG - take Thermalrider Cloak from Aqshy instead of Doppelganger.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Storm1 said:

What is the best list I could make out of two start collecting boxes, one box of crypt horrors/flayers, and a box of crypt ghouls?

Note: This will not be the full list, just the list to start with, I will buy more boxes later.

Probably this one:

Spoiler

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)

Battleline
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 52

Spell choice matters very little as you want +1 attack and 5+ ignore damage over everything else, but Deranged Transformation and Spectral Host IMO are good choices

For artefacts you can go for any defensive one on GKoTG.

For command trait you can give either of Ghoul Kings Dark Wiradry or give Majestic Horror to GKoTG. 

You also must get Arch Regent into your collection either by buying him from someone somewhere or conversing from something.

6 hours ago, XReN said:

Second list is far better. Problems with first are lack of extra CP and 3 model flayer units that might end up with objective guarding duty where they will die as easy as 10 ghouls without doing significant impact. 

In the second list you have much more CPs to use feeding frenzy and royal mordants will allow you to royaly mess up your opponent with 28 move on flayers. Also much more bodies to hold objectives.

But I suggest few changes in spell composition: change Regent's spell from Spectral Host to Deranged Transformation and give Spectral Host to TG. Reason is that Transformation will on average give you more extra inches of movement on horrors/flayers and you can still shoot after that, GKs on TG and on foot will always cast their signature spells because they are better than what's in the Lore but at the same time will play mindgames with opponent who will be afraid that TG can run and charge if he casts Host.

And if you really want a speed buff to TG - take Thermalrider Cloak from Aqshy instead of Doppelganger.

Very helpful advice, thank you!  Might look at the Thermalrider, I was immediately attracted to Doppelganger because a King on TG that can't be attacked until he attacks is nasty.  Another option was Grim Garland for the Bravery debuff which helps both the TG and Flayers.

Edited by wayniac