AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

11 hours ago, Storm1 said:

I am getting two start collecting FEC boxes, a box of crypt ghouls, and a box of crypt horrors/flayers, how should I assemble them, and what should I get next?

One post above yours I answererd the same question.

Note: I will kitbash a varghulf courtier as well. But how do I kitbash a varghulf cortier out of those four boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is probably the Flayer/Horror kit. But at this point I'd actually recommend you spend the 30$/€/whatever and just get the model.

One thing that new players should be aware of is that building a Crypt Ghast Courtier leaves you with 9 Ghouls.  So you either use another miniature as your courtier or you build like 3 or 4 of them at once (beware though, you need a 32mm base for them so you should probably get another SC/Ghoul/Nightfeast-Box or get the bases from somwhere else) and use the remaining ghouls for testing painting schemes. 

Same goes for Horrors/Flayers, you could however build an Infernal Courtier and a Haunter Courtier from the same Box. So you're only left with one remaining Horror/Flayer.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, SevenXes said:

Welcome to the court and welcome to the feast ;),

one of the greatest things about the FEC is that you can basically get anything you want/need from the SC - Boxes.  Except for the Archregent which is - unfortunately - exclusive to the Carrion Empire Box which sold out quite fast. But from what I heard, he's beeing released as a single model next year. And the Varghulf Courtier of course, you should get him as well.

Except for the Royal Zombie Dragon (without Ghoul King on top) everything in this armys book is viable. You can win wars of attrition with Ghouls (Morgaunt grand Court can be pretty fun), use sledgehammers like the Horrors or the fast moving Flayers (Blisterskin makes them even faster) with their mortal wounds. Oh, and you also have the Terrorgheists, these beasts are just nasty! When you chose Grand Court Gristlegore you can even make them your Battleline.

I'd also recommend you pick up the Charnel Throne  so that your Kings and (future) Regents can use their summon ability for free and the Endless Spells for the FEC. Mainly for the Chalice of Ushoran.

So for a 1000 points list I'd recommend that you take the models you like and form a list around them. Like I said, (almost) everything is viable. Just be warned: the FE units are quite costly and your units stats are usually worse compared to other armies. Reason beeing, you can bring almost everything back to life and/or summon entirely new units.  Which makes your  heroes especially important. You really need to take good care of them, because when your heroes go down the drain, the rest of your army usually follows.  Quick anecdote: Last saturday I played vs. Khorne ~1500 points, I lost somwhere between 50-60 ghouls during that game and by the end of the game every single one of them was brought back to life.  

TL;DR: Pick a unit you like, build a list around them. FEC have many strong options. Just watch out for your heroes.

Thanks for the tips! I've read the book a little more and like the look of Blisterskin. With what I have and a start collecting box how would this look for a starting 1000 point list:

AGK on Terrorgheist

1x Crypt Infernal Courtier

3x Crypt Flayers

3xCrypt Horrors

10x Crypt Ghouls

960 Points.

I'm not crazy about leaving 40 points unused, but I'm having issues making the point costs work. This list would leave no knights to summon (based on what I have) and unless I'm missing something there's no way to summon the remaining 10 ghouls I would have from the SC box. Would running the Ghoul King and the Terrorgheist separately be a better idea?

15 hours ago, Felldir said:

AGK on Terrorgheist

1x Crypt Infernal Courtier

3x Crypt Flayers

3xCrypt Horrors

10x Crypt Ghouls

960 Points.

With the models you have, I think this is a solid foundation.  However there is, unfortunately, no way to summon more Ghouls. You'd have to take the AGK on foot and the TG seperately but I'd say taking them together will leave you with an overall stronger list at 1000 points. Try to get another box of Flayers/Horrors to make this list even better (not summoning knights is a huge loss, no doubt about it you could however use the ability to revive one unit of flayers).  And don't expect your 10 ghouls to do anything gamedeciding. Just let them sit at the objectives or use them to deny deepstrikes.

Personally I'd probably switch the Horrors for another unit of flayers since they profit the most from the additional movement.  Plus you could build towards an "Airforce" for bigger/future games. 

Btw. the best thing about Blisterskin is - in my opinion - the additional command point on a 4+, this can get you very, very far! Just make sure your general doesn't die.

For the AGKoTH I'd recommend you take the "Gruesome Bite" trait, which lets you re-roll any hits with the "Fanged Maw".  Remember, for any 6 (to hit) you roll with this attack you automatically deal 6 mortal wounds, so you might as well just re-roll every dice - even the ones that hit - to fish for those 6es.

When it comes to the Lore of Madness I'd recommend you take the Deranged Transformation or the Spectral Host. Both can make your units even faster.

Okay, so to make my question a little different, what is a good list I can make from two FEC start collecting boxes, a box of crypt ghouls, and a box of crypt flayers/horrors, and a kitbashed varghulf courtier

What's your goal?

What's your style?

Which models do you like?

I'd be glad to help just put some thought into your list, tell me about your gameplan and you'll get some feedback. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SevenXes said:

What's your goal?

What's your style?

Which models do you like?

I'd be glad to help just put some thought into your list, tell me about your gameplan and you'll get some feedback. 

I like the abhorrant ghoul  kings on terrorghiest, zombie dragon, or on foot, all the courtiers, crypt horrors and crypt ghouls, I like horde armies with some elite troops. My goal is to have a semi competitive or competitive list that keeps bringing back crypt ghouls, and reinforced by some crypt horrors that keep coming back. The main thing I am unsure about is how to assemble my two behemoths, either AGKoTG,AGKoZG, or AGK on foot and TG

With the boxes I have (2 FEC start collecting, a box of crypt ghouls and a box of crypt flayers/horrors) , my idea for a list is

AGKoTG,AGKoZG, or AGK on foot and TG

AGKoTG,AGKoZG, or AGK on foot and TG

varghulf courtier

crypt ghast courtier

crypt haunter courtier

6x crypt horrors

10x crypt ghouls

10x  crypt ghouls 

10x crypt ghouls

The only reason I put the ghouls in groups of ten is so that I can reach the battleline requirement.

Sorry if that was not descriptive.

Edited by Storm1

Okay, so first things first: Whether your list is competitive or not is kinda depent on your local meta. Meaning even if you have a tournament list, you might lose to some gimmicky local list. That beeing said there are a couple of really strong lists in the FEC, mainly the Flayer and TG lists. Unfortunately you don't have enough models for either of those.

Given your restrictions (modelwise) best I could come up with looks sth like this:

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
- General

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
3 x Crypt Horrors (150)
3 x Crypt Horrors (150)

Battalions
Attendants at Court (110)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 84

An AGKoRTG doesn't make much sense to me in your case since you don't have the models to summon more horrors. So I'd probably go with the AGKoRZD to summon the Varghul courtier. The Ghoul King on Foot will help you to reroll failed hits (only 1s) with your ghouls plus he can cast and deny one spell per turn.  The Crpyt Haunter Courtier needs to be your general so that the Horrors become battleline. And Attendants at Cour lets you re-roll hits with your Horrors without a GK beeing nearby.

Everything else is probably self explanatory.

I wouldn't consider this list to be competitive, yet I believe that you'll be able win some games with it.  I don't think there are much more options with the models you have right now. 

2 hours ago, SevenXes said:

Okay, so first things first: Whether your list is competitive or not is kinda depent on your local meta. Meaning even if you have a tournament list, you might lose to some gimmicky local list. That beeing said there are a couple of really strong lists in the FEC, mainly the Flayer and TG lists. Unfortunately you don't have enough models for either of those.

Given your restrictions (modelwise) best I could come up with looks sth like this:

- Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day

Leaders
- General

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
3 x Crypt Horrors (150)
3 x Crypt Horrors (150)

Battalions
Attendants at Court (110)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Wounds: 84

An AGKoRTG doesn't make much sense to me in your case since you don't have the models to summon more horrors. So I'd probably go with the AGKoRZD to summon the Varghul courtier. The Ghoul King on Foot will help you to reroll failed hits (only 1s) with your ghouls plus he can cast and deny one spell per turn.  The Crpyt Haunter Courtier needs to be your general so that the Horrors become battleline. And Attendants at Cour lets you re-roll hits with your Horrors without a GK beeing nearby.

Everything else is probably self explanatory.

I wouldn't consider this list to be competitive, yet I believe that you'll be able win some games with it.  I don't think there are much more options with the models you have right now. 

This will not be the full list,  I will get some more models soon, but what is a good base list to start with that I can build off of. It does not need to be great right now but I just need a base list, and an idea of what models to get in the future, because once you build a model it is permanent. 

With 2 FEC start collecting, box of crypt flayer/horrors, and box of crypt ghouls:

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
- General

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Total: 1640 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 92

Final list:

Leaders

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)

- General

Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)

Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

Battleline

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units

6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 122

How do these two lists look?

Edited by Storm1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:44 AM, SevenXes said:

With the models you have, I think this is a solid foundation.  However there is, unfortunately, no way to summon more Ghouls. You'd have to take the AGK on foot and the TG seperately but I'd say taking them together will leave you with an overall stronger list at 1000 points. Try to get another box of Flayers/Horrors to make this list even better (not summoning knights is a huge loss, no doubt about it you could however use the ability to revive one unit of flayers).  And don't expect your 10 ghouls to do anything gamedeciding. Just let them sit at the objectives or use them to deny deepstrikes.

Personally I'd probably switch the Horrors for another unit of flayers since they profit the most from the additional movement.  Plus you could build towards an "Airforce" for bigger/future games. 

Btw. the best thing about Blisterskin is - in my opinion - the additional command point on a 4+, this can get you very, very far! Just make sure your general doesn't die.

For the AGKoTH I'd recommend you take the "Gruesome Bite" trait, which lets you re-roll any hits with the "Fanged Maw".  Remember, for any 6 (to hit) you roll with this attack you automatically deal 6 mortal wounds, so you might as well just re-roll every dice - even the ones that hit - to fish for those 6es.

When it comes to the Lore of Madness I'd recommend you take the Deranged Transformation or the Spectral Host. Both can make your units even faster.

Awesome. Appreciate the advice. I will look to replace the horrors asap, I just included them because I have the models from the lot I bought. Cheers.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxim said:

Any thoughts on this list?  It is for a three round event with only one likely competitive opponent attending (an Ork player likely using Big Waaagh).  I haven't dusted off my FEC in some time though, so the table-top equivalent of ring-rust will be in full effect.  Thanks!

FECKirwans12-21.pdf 5.73 MB · 1 download

Seems fine.  

I've not played Ghoul Patrol.

48 minutes ago, Neomaxim said:

Honestly, it isn't terribly relevant as a battalion, but I wanted the 2nd artifact, and no other battalion worked points-wise without me taking some tax units I wouldn't have otherwise taken.

That's actually almost the list I play with. The only thing I change is the 2nd Terrorgheist for a GK on Zombie dragon, so I can use it to deepstrike  along with the ghoul patrol. And then of course it's all about playing around the courts, either feast day or Gistlegore or even Morghaunt.

Edited by lemonicus

On 12/13/2019 at 8:38 PM, Storm1 said:

Leaders

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)

- General

Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)

Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

Battleline

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units

6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 122

How do these two lists look?

Blocks of 20 Ghouls won't make much sense, they die too fast and you don't want to spend your command points on bringing back your ghouls every round. So I recommend to build the list more like this:

- Grand Court: Morgaunt

Leaders

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 132

With Morgaunt you get the Ghouls attackbonus already at 10 models instead of 20 and with two Courtiers + the Chalice of Ushoran + the Kings Ghouls you'll replenenish your Ghouls faster than they die. 

5 hours ago, SevenXes said:

Blocks of 20 Ghouls won't make much sense, they die too fast and you don't want to spend your command points on bringing back your ghouls every round. So I recommend to build the list more like this:

- Grand Court: Morgaunt

Leaders

Battleline
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (120)

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 132

With Morgaunt you get the Ghouls attackbonus already at 10 models instead of 20 and with two Courtiers + the Chalice of Ushoran + the Kings Ghouls you'll replenenish your Ghouls faster than they die. 

Thank you I appreciate the help

Edited by Storm1

3 hours ago, lemonicus said:

How do you all see the upcoming point decrease of Crypt Horrors from the new FAQ? (From 150 to 130). Will you be using them more in the lists?

I’ve used them at the first discount as point-filler.  Most of the roles above/below 150 points could be done better by other warscrolls.  I have thirteen Horrors so they’ll get more gameplay before the next General’s Handbook comes out.  Their next point value opens some options for point juggling.

10 hours ago, lemonicus said:

How do you all see the upcoming point decrease of Crypt Horrors from the new FAQ? (From 150 to 130). Will you be using them more in the lists?

I've played them before and I'll continue to play them, mainly because I really love their models. Decreasing their price will open up some a couple of small opportunities in bigger games, which is what I'm really looking forward to.  Other than that, theres not much to say tbh since the decrease in points isn't that amazing.

11 hours ago, lemonicus said:

I'm happy about the change, might take them back into my competetive lists and for more casual games it's absolutely fantastic as I always liked them as a unit.

First thing I want to try is taking them as battleline tax since they are now cost almost as ghouls in points per wound but are better at everything except board presence

3 hours ago, Storm1 said:

I have a quick question, do the GKoZD give rerolls only failed wound rolls, and does the GK give rerolls to only failed hit rolls? 

Thanks in advance.

That depends on the unit.

- Crypt Ghouls get to re-roll every hit roll that's a one, when they are wholly within 18'' of any Abhorrant (which means both on foot or on ZD/TG)

- Horrors get to re-roll every hit roll when they are wholly within 18'' of any Abhorrant (which means both on foot or on ZD/TG)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SevenXes said:

That depends on the unit.

- Crypt Ghouls get to re-roll every hit roll that's a one, when they are wholly within 18'' of any Abhorrant (which means both on foot or on ZD/TG)

- Horrors get to re-roll every hit roll when they are wholly within 18'' of any Abhorrant (which means both on foot or on ZD/TG)

Every hit roll means even successful ones right? (For the haunter courtier) I know that for the horrors it is only failed hit rolls

Edited by Storm1

Just now, Storm1 said:

Every hit roll means even successful ones right

Yes... all hit rolls may be rerolled if you choose to (wholly within 18“)

With the gkozd spell you could reroll all wound rolls for melee...

all the rerolls wholly within 16“

5 hours ago, Honk said:

Yes... all hit rolls may be rerolled if you choose to (wholly within 18“)

With the gkozd spell you could reroll all wound rolls for melee...

all the rerolls wholly within 16“

Is that good, because even if you only get one hit or wound, if you reroll hits or wound you take the chance of getting none, and for the 6s do 6 mortal wounds for terrorghiest, will the 6 mortal wounds still count?

Sorry, one more question, why does the GKoTG cost less than the GHoZD, how is the GKoSD better?

Edited by Storm1