AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm just getting started on FEC so I have to build my first 1,000pt list and I have the following models (not assembled yet):

Abhorrant King (on foot)

Abhorrant Archregent

30x Crypt Ghouls

9x Crypt Horrors/Flyers

So which list do you think might be better?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, ogmaadn said:

So which list do you think might be better?

So from all the lists you proposed, I‘d think:

Grand Court - Feast Day

Infernal - general cruel taskmaster

Ghoul King, Archregent

10 ghouls , 6 Flayers

Pretty fast murderball (flayer+infernal), buffed with ferocious hunger and black hunger, the mortal wounds will bring down most foes.

the 10 ghouls babysit some objective...

for summoning, you have the 20 ghouls, I would suggest a proxy varghulf to toughen up your flayers.

• Like 1

Hey all.  I'm thinking of some lists for Adepticon.  I'm playing in the 2 day Teams event and then the 2 day Singles.  For those unfamiliar with the Team event it is a team of 4 players, each with a 1K list.  Each round you pair with someone on your team and then play on single table 2K vs 2K.  Singles will be 2K.  I'm not sure what my teammates will be bringing (and one prob won't know till the morning  of!)  So I need a 1K core that can be flexible that I can bring up to 2K.

Here's the 1K list

Allegiance: Death

Feast Day.  Probably +2 to cast Trait/Artifact
Abhorrant Archregent (240)
Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 65

2K list:

Abhorrant Archregent (240)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
Chalice of Ushoran (50)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 123

So my question is for the 1K list if I should trade 1 of the Courtiers for the extra command point.  I'm gambling that pulling off an Alpha strike will be more difficult in a team environment.  Given the mixing of teammates, I figured a block of Ghouls that never goes away would be decent.  But it isn't really terribly flexible. It just sort of does the one thing.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, Glaurung said:

At 1k you have only 1 battleline, don’t you need two?

furthermore, you should tell us what your team is bringing... so you better taylor it

You might be right.  I'll need to double check if it is GHB 2019 or 2018.  If so then the AGK is probably the place for extra Ghouls + CP.  

No idea what the team is bringing.  Maybe at least Eels and Bestigor Slaanesh?  I need something that will balance with the wildcards. 

Played the 2K list in Relocation Orb against a Deepkin list.  9 eels and an Eidelon.  Big block of Ghouls were MVP.  They held the center denying VPs on T1 and then resurrected enough to take it on T2.  We called it when I won priority on T3.  Opponent misplayed his eels though and never tried to dispel the Chalice, so it was definitely a learning game for him.  Still, I was pleased w how it performed.  Glad for the +2 casting against the Eidelon.  

• Thanks 1

How would you beat a big Waaagh! army?

I played:

30 Ghouls, 40 Ghouls, Ghoul Courtier, Arch Regent, AGKoRTG, Terrorgheist, 3 Crypt Horrors, King‘s Ghouls, Chalice of Ushoran. - Gristlegore 

he played:

Megaboss, 2x Warchanter, 1 Orc Mage, 2x20 Ard Boys, 5 Brutes, 10 Brutes, 6 Gotegruntas.

we played vocal points (4 12“x24“ deployment zones and 2 objectives, each can only be held by battleline and heroes and they grant an increasing amount of points)

I took the first turn and grabbed the objectives while screening with my ghouls., I didn’t get off any spell. He charged his ardboys in, 13 were able to strike and he evaporated the 30 ghouls (were buffed by the Warchanter). On the other flank I lost 17/40 ghouls due to luck.  Both my Terrorgheist fought twice and killed off half his ard boys (there was still simply no space I could fly to without being shredded in an instant)

I took the second turn and made my now +3 attacks Terrorgheist fight twice. This turn I killed all his ardboys but 2. His entire army was hitting on wounding on 2s now then his brutes and Gruntas charged in (+ 1-4 to all charges, because balance) overkilled my General on Terrorgheist by 15( yes 29 wounds) while the gruntas overkilled my Terrorgheist by 10 (only 3 Struck) and killing all my heroes and arch regent. Tabled.

that +1 damage is totally busted, he just kills ANYTHING he touches, no tactics or even dice luck required.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 1

With the list you have:

try to make him charge only the units you want with as many of his units as possible. This means screening with a long line of ghouls. They are going to die anyway. Orks are superfast and killy, so you need to make him pay for killing your units. That’s a basic trade-off rule. Gristlegore can easily do it using the Call to War ability. If he kills you monster, you can attack back (twice if you have the CPs) and make him bleed. 

As I said, it’s only a matter of better trade off. They are way too fast to be avoided and they usually play many units, so alpha strike is not viable

• Thanks 1

Hey guys just got a fec army and was wondering what you guys thought was the best 5-0 list for tournaments out there. I'm coming from LoN so the lack of bodies is worrying but I'm sure the raw power makes up for it. Feast day, gristle and blisterskin all seem very competitive. Cities have definitely brought shooting back and OBR are a really tough shell to crack. Whatcha guys think? 

2 hours ago, LJ26 said:

what you guys thought was the best 5-0 list for tournaments out there.

I could recommend 3 guys from this forum you could hire for generals, then you might have a chance at 5-0... FEC is almost an old book now and took some hits in the faq.

2x6 flayers on a feast day, fast and furious mortal wound spam

gristlegore 2xGkoTg is a brutal charge 

AAR are always good 

As for a court, I always end up with feast day or gristlegore. Blisterskin seems nice, but the choice between extra 2“ move or a second attack activation?!

big ghoul blobs... not really sure they are fast, sturdy and brutal enough. 

For tournaments (which I‘m very inexperienced in) general things to consider are the different scenarios and their scoring conditions. Board control and early points can carry you through a beating. 
if you have a valid strategy for each scenario (opening, mid- and endgame) with one back up plan for each phase, you already have a whole book to study and have not even considered your opponent yet 🤓

but your considerations for all your possible enemy’s armys can more or less be generalized into: better or worse in what aspects and how do I counter that?

Is she faster, how do I position now? Is he more sturdy, how do I crush? She hits too hard, how do I deflect, avoid the hurt? He‘s a scallywag shooting like the coward redcoat he is... how to counter that?

but I would suggest doing all those deep thoughts in general and not too specific. It really “doesn’t matter“ if you’re getting charged by 6 buffed up gore-gruntas or skullcrushers...

then the last preparations should be knowing the other armies specialities. Like our feast day other armies have interesting f-you-up abilities where you will be screaming op-cheese, when you’re not familiar with  them.

After writing all that nonsense, I kinda know again, why I don’t take my tournaments seriously. It is a lot of work and an intense preparation is needed to be on par in the waac setting...

🥃🥳👍

glhf

On 12/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, Glaurung said:

With the list you have:

try to make him charge only the units you want with as many of his units as possible. This means screening with a long line of ghouls. They are going to die anyway. Orks are superfast and killy, so you need to make him pay for killing your units. That’s a basic trade-off rule. Gristlegore can easily do it using the Call to War ability. If he kills you monster, you can attack back (twice if you have the CPs) and make him bleed. 

As I said, it’s only a matter of better trade off. They are way too fast to be avoided and they usually play many units, so alpha strike is not viable

Thx! It‘s pretty much what I did though he has too many wounds on the board, I can‘t deal enough damage to get rid of enough Orruks so I stand a chance to win.

How does this look, I am relatively new at AOS and this is my first FEC army.

Leaders

Abhorrant Ghoul King (160)

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (420)

Varghulf Courtier (160)

Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

Crypt Ghast Courtier (60)

Battleline

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units

6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Behemoths

Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 116

I will add the Chanclet throne as well.

Edited by Storm1

1 hour ago, Storm1 said:

How does this look

Welcome to „team crazy“

looks ok for try-outs, but at 2k you’ll need 3 battleline...

for tactics I like horrors with king on zombiedragon, because reroll everything. Also you could think about 6 horrors instead of 2x3 for better regen and sich things (unit wipe, damage output...)

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Welcome to „team crazy“

looks ok for try-outs, but at 2k you’ll need 3 battleline...

for tactics I like horrors with king on zombiedragon, because reroll everything. Also you could think about 6 horrors instead of 2x3 for better regen and sich things (unit wipe, damage output...)

What if I make my grand court Hollowmourne, then Crypt horrors count as a battleline.

Edited by Storm1
  • Haha 1

Random question, but why do people continue to lump in FEC with the broken-tier books like Hedonites?  I know I am a bit out of practice with playing my FEC but I just got absolutely rolled in a bunch of tournament prep games against Big Waaagh, and Ironjaws, as well as against a well screened Cities of Sigmar shooting list.

I ran the pretty traditional Feast Day, with two AGKoT, a Ghoul Patrol, and an Arch-Regeant, and at no point felt like I had the tools needed to out-class either army by any significant degree.

How to this list look, I am new to FEC, and this is my first list

Grand Court: Hollowmourne (So crypt horrors are a battleline)

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)
20 x Crypt Ghouls (200)

Units
6 x Crypt Horrors (300)

Behemoths
Royal Terrorgheist (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chalice of Ushoran (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 116

I will add the Chanclet throne as well.

Hello noble citizens of the realm. 

I'm coming to ask you the question that all armies are asking right now. How do you deal with the Ossiarch Bonereapers? 

My friend plays FEC and I recently got into OB. We played a 1000 point game and he should have won. (It was the mission where if you control all 4 objectives after turn 3 you win.) He could have just disengaged one set of three flayers and captured the last objective to win, but he wanted to fight it out and throw dice. By the end I had about 10 mortek guard left to his nothing.

Anyway the reason I ask is even though he won this game (quite handily if I do say so) he still thinks that when we get to 2000 points he will have no chance. Like he got the look of an Oracle witnessing someone's death in the future and was really not happy. He's afraid of Mortek Crawlers and blobs of Guard backed up by Harvesters. As he should be since these things are scary, but he's so scared he sounds like he doesn't want to play. Like at all.

So in ask you noble folk; what are your strategies for playing against Ossiarch Bonereapers? What Delusions or Courts have good play against them? What units should he bring that work well? How should he play.

For reference he has access to everything but an Archregent. I believe he has at least 3 Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragons and his favorite grand court is Blisterskin with Royal Mordant battalion and loves his flayers. And for full transparency I plan to run a squad of 20 mortek with a harvester, 2 more squads of 10 so I can use the battalion, some stalkers and some heroes.

16 hours ago, Neomaxim said:

Random question, but why do people continue to lump in FEC with the broken-tier books like Hedonites?  I know I am a bit out of practice with playing my FEC but I just got absolutely rolled in a bunch of tournament prep games against Big Waaagh, and Ironjaws, as well as against a well screened Cities of Sigmar shooting list.

I ran the pretty traditional Feast Day, with two AGKoT, a Ghoul Patrol, and an Arch-Regeant, and at no point felt like I had the tools needed to out-class either army by any significant degree.

Because everyone forgets that Gristlegore isn't broken any more and fails to realise that outside of that stupid command trait FEC have always been a nicely balanced army.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Neomaxim said:

Random question, but why do people continue to lump in FEC with the broken-tier books like Hedonites?  [...]

Because they enjoy the models, the lore and or the playstyle? That's the reason why I switched from Nagash to FeC. Plus, it's not like you can't win with 'em anymore.

Last saturday my AHGKoRTG munched through: 10 Blood Warriors, 1 Bloodthirster, 1 Mighty Lord of Khorne and 1 Bloodsecrator...

3 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

My friend plays FEC and I recently got into OB. We played a 1000 point game and he should have won. [...].

Anyway the reason I ask is even though he won this game[...]

What?

3 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

So in ask you noble folk; what are your strategies for playing against Ossiarch Bonereapers? What Delusions or Courts have good play against them? What units should he bring that work well? How should he play.

For reference he has access to everything but an Archregent. I believe he has at least 3 Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragons and his favorite grand court is Blisterskin with Royal Mordant battalion and loves his flayers. And for full transparency I plan to run a squad of 20 mortek with a harvester, 2 more squads of 10 so I can use the battalion, some stalkers and some heroes.

From my experience: At lower-point Games, like 1000 pts, Horrors and Crypt Ghouls can do pretty well. As a FEC I'd recommend to play a war of attrition. Chalice of Ushoran, Crypt Ghast Courtier... just loads and loads of bodies. Worked pretty well for me.

However at 2000 pts I'd probably play the way your friend plays. Lots of Flayers and probably ABGKoZD since you won't deal much damage with a TGs ranged attack. At least from my experience. Last time I used him against OB he didn't do anything.   

Hi guys. On a whim I picked up a mixed lot of FEC models: 2x Crypt Flayers, 3x Crypt Horrors, 10x Crypt Ghouls. I figure a start collecting would be the ideal next purchase to bring me up around 1000 points but I have no idea how to build or buy beyond that. I've had a look at the book too and I look the look of the grand courts but having never player (or played against) FEC I have no idea what's good/fun/etc. Any help is appreciated. Cheers. 

11 hours ago, Felldir said:

Hi guys. On a whim I picked up a mixed lot of FEC models: 2x Crypt Flayers, 3x Crypt Horrors, 10x Crypt Ghouls. I figure a start collecting would be the ideal next purchase to bring me up around 1000 points but I have no idea how to build or buy beyond that. I've had a look at the book too and I look the look of the grand courts but having never player (or played against) FEC I have no idea what's good/fun/etc. Any help is appreciated. Cheers. 

Welcome to the court and welcome to the feast ;),

one of the greatest things about the FEC is that you can basically get anything you want/need from the SC - Boxes.  Except for the Archregent which is - unfortunately - exclusive to the Carrion Empire Box which sold out quite fast. But from what I heard, he's beeing released as a single model next year. And the Varghulf Courtier of course, you should get him as well.

Except for the Royal Zombie Dragon (without Ghoul King on top) everything in this armys book is viable. You can win wars of attrition with Ghouls (Morgaunt grand Court can be pretty fun), use sledgehammers like the Horrors or the fast moving Flayers (Blisterskin makes them even faster) with their mortal wounds. Oh, and you also have the Terrorgheists, these beasts are just nasty! When you chose Grand Court Gristlegore you can even make them your Battleline.

I'd also recommend you pick up the Charnel Throne  so that your Kings and (future) Regents can use their summon ability for free and the Endless Spells for the FEC. Mainly for the Chalice of Ushoran.

So for a 1000 points list I'd recommend that you take the models you like and form a list around them. Like I said, (almost) everything is viable. Just be warned: the FE units are quite costly and your units stats are usually worse compared to other armies. Reason beeing, you can bring almost everything back to life and/or summon entirely new units.  Which makes your  heroes especially important. You really need to take good care of them, because when your heroes go down the drain, the rest of your army usually follows.  Quick anecdote: Last saturday I played vs. Khorne ~1500 points, I lost somwhere between 50-60 ghouls during that game and by the end of the game every single one of them was brought back to life.  

TL;DR: Pick a unit you like, build a list around them. FEC have many strong options. Just watch out for your heroes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am getting two start collecting FEC boxes, a box of crypt ghouls, and a box of crypt horrors/flayers, how should I assemble them, and what should I get next?

Note: I will kitbash a varghulf courtier as well. But how do I kitbash a varghulf cortier out of those four boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Storm1