AoS 2 - Legion of Night Discussion

RuneBrush

I want to like LoN but I just can’t really figure out how to use it. 

Most battleplans don’t seem to really make use of “The Bait” rule as the opponent has no incentive to want or need to go into your territory, and generally most battleplans have objectives in the middle. 

Therefore when ambushing it will be difficult to get a charge as most of the fighting will be i the center of the map (more often than not, exceptions do exist) and the units arriving will not have any buffs and will not be able to be buffed until your next hero phase. 

The restrictive nature of wholly within 6” of a board edge and more than 9” from an enemy, plus the typical objective placement, plus nobody ever really needing to go into your territory the majority of the time always leaves me feeling like I would be better off playing LoS of GHoN for the more universally beneficial battle traits. 

I do, however, have at least 2 LoN lists I hope to practice with but they seem better off just charging turn 1 up the board than ambushing or anything. 

I also have the same problem with summoning from the grave. 

6 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I want to like LoN but I just can’t really figure out how to use it. 

Most battleplans don’t seem to really make use of “The Bait” rule as the opponent has no incentive to want or need to go into your territory, and generally most battleplans have objectives in the middle. 

Therefore when ambushing it will be difficult to get a charge as most of the fighting will be i the center of the map (more often than not, exceptions do exist) and the units arriving will not have any buffs and will not be able to be buffed until your next hero phase. 

The restrictive nature of wholly within 6” of a board edge and more than 9” from an enemy, plus the typical objective placement, plus nobody ever really needing to go into your territory the majority of the time always leaves me feeling like I would be better off playing LoS of GHoN for the more universally beneficial battle traits. 

I do, however, have at least 2 LoN lists I hope to practice with but they seem better off just charging turn 1 up the board than ambushing or anything. 

I also have the same problem with summoning from the grave. 

When playing battleplans where your territory is half the map... indeed, the opponent could choose not to go in your territory. But it's quite easy to plop 20+ models within 6" of a center line objective, and force your opponent to deal with your horde of 5+ (or 4+ if no rend) skeletons that get multiple d3 models back in each of your hero phases. I feel that The Bait makes me want to play a few more Deathrattle than what I'd usually bring, hence why my list has 40-40-30 deathrattle models.

Outflanking dogs or vargheists (or morghast harbingers that charge 3d6!) is useful when playing some battleplans, since they sometimes reward you with more objective points if you can claim the backfield objective. Just plopping down a unit in the backfield means that the opponent has to deal with it, or else. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Im new to AoS and my LGS just started a league which I joined and I would like some help with what to do with my last 250 points for my 2000 point army. So far I have:

Mannfred

Necromancer

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern

2x5 Dire Wolves

40x Skeletons

20x Grimghast Reapers

2x Morghast Harbingers

Chronomantic Cogs

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Played 1.5k against the Brayherds tonight.

friend of mine was complaining about their ambush/summoning shenanigans, so I figured to shenanigan right back. 

Coven throne, vamp lord and necromancer, with 2x5 puppies and 30 skellis... and two terrorgheists. The Thron and the gheists were biding their time, waiting for openings and counter chances. Played scenario 3-6, 4 corners, own objectives 1vp and opponents 3vp

EB7C860A-4B11-43B9-87F9-0DFDDC23B117.jpeg

75E83C76-0329-41F9-817D-F398605AD782.jpeg

The bait in true heroic fashion in terrain (he put it there, not I) vamp lord with his dogs protecting the other objective.

F90B2C7B-E7CB-4B9C-8CE5-14EE4374B523.jpeg

After he brought in his troops, my TGs jumped right into the fun. Insta-gibed 2x10 ungors with screams (6+6-4...byebye). The other TG engaged the 30 block of whatever beastmen and brawled (the maw is king).

he charged in too late with his bulls... I forgot to bring in my throne turn 2, brilliant idea, so the ladies could sneak steal the second opponents objective.

295FFD37-7AFD-47F3-8EE6-0F0FD54EA4ED.jpeg

Edited by Honk
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

So... here I find the Legion of Night lurking in the shadows....

Long time gamer, newbie to Death, I had an early skeleton army around 1988, and now 30 years later, I have returned to my love of Skeletor and Army of Darkness inspired Skeleton warriors. 

Why LoNi?

1.  If you want to go heavy Deathrattle, then LoNi offers the only dedicated Deathrattle buff...and it’s great, buffing all your units.

2. What is the main drawback of Deathrattle? Speed. What is the second LoNi buff? Ambushing. Voila, I’m sold.

My current list is WIP, but I have had a few games and it’s shaping up nicely.

Lord Muhaha - Allegiance: Legion of Night

LEADERS
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Command Trait : Merciless Hunter
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact : Vial of the Pure Blood
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- Steed

Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread

Necromancer (110)
- Artefact : Morbheg's Claw
- Lore of the Deathmages : Fading Vigour

UNITS
10 x Black Knights (240)

10 x Grave Guard (160)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades

3 x Vargheists (160)

BATTALIONS
Deathmarch (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 131
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

TACTICS

Depends on the board, mission and matchup. However, Necro with claw pops cogs, at back of field protected by horde and with other necro for core central control. 

GG camp on objective in own half. 2 small blobs of sword skellingtons are speed bumps, blocking/chaff.

VLoZD, Wight King in Unit of BK and Vargheists are either ambushed or first turn charged, or combination of both, depending on the lay of the land.

Its pretty tanky, and with a versatile hammer/alpha, but most importantly, it allows me to field loads of Deathrattle which is my favourite asthetic in LoN.

Ideas, tips and tricks for LoNi, my list, or tactics welcomed!

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Lord of Wight said:

Ideas, tips and tricks for LoNi, my list, or tactics welcomed!

Looks like you got things beaten down pretty good...

only question would be, when do you put your Wk into hiding? The battalion move is in the hero phase, his CA too and with the cogs on the table you’re moving 6“ with him&his knights...after that they move 12“+2“ before  they attempt to charge (avg. 9“)

that‘s a 29“ threat distance... let’s say 24“ to prepare for the big charge fumble, still through all the nomansland.

and i‘ve come to love vargheist, so I’m not going to argue against them

11 hours ago, Honk said:

only question would be, when do you put your Wk into hiding

Yes, normally I wouldn’t hide/ambush the Wight King and knights,  and use first strike alpha, but you have the option,  and I think thats the great flexibility LoNi gives you.  Depending on the situation you can ambush vanilla skeletons as an annoyance to the enemy and to divert their attention, like a decoy,  or ambush the 40 horde with a necro and vlozd for genuine flanking/rear threat,  or ambush nothing... the flexibility and adaptability gives you genuine options as a general to use ‘art of war’  to take advantage of specific terrain,  objectives, or poor deployment by the enemy. It also avoids getting bored from having a fixed set-play every time.

On a modelling note, have just converted a new mounted Wight King from foot king (in forum avatar)body, head and cloak, with  mounted knight of shrouds, horse and arms,  with manfred legs, plus a bit of gap filling green stuff.  Just completed model and undercoat, will post W.IP tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2019 at 10:33 PM, Lord of Wight said:

On a modelling note, have just converted a new mounted Wight King from foot king (in forum avatar)body, head and cloak, with  mounted knight of shrouds, horse and arms,  with manfred legs, plus a bit of gap filling green stuff.  Just completed model and undercoat, will post W.IP tomorrow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Will be having a 1500 points game this weekend. First time using Legion of night and this is my list base on what i have at the moment.

Not sure how it will turn out. Play and learn. Too many Grand Host and Blood players around me. 

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Mannfred Mortarch of Night (420)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60) - in grave to be summoned later

Units
5 x Black Knights (120) 
5 x Black Knights (120) - ambush
3 x Vargheists (160) - ambush

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 87

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow i have a battle as a legion of night versius 1500p army of Seraphon. Any advice or change?

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Swift Form 
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
10 x Black Knights (240)

Total: 1490 / 2000

I use halberds because of the -1rend invulreability of seraphons, and this unit with the cavalry and the dragon will be as a reserve with the night ability. I use the same strategy that i used vs clan pestilens army that destroyed my entire army before the round 4.🤣 

In my last battle the unit of 40 plague monks kill my dragon in one turn, they did 78 attacks re-roll hit and wounds impacts and with the 1" range as the base of plague monks it's smaller than 1" they attack with the secon line.

• Haha 1

Hi guys!
I've been brainstorming a new death army!
I do not yet own the book of nagash, so I would like some help from you guys!

-What do you think of the army?
- How would you play it?
- How should i deck out my heroes?

Thank you so much in advance, peace!

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
- Ancient Spears

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

11 hours ago, Sartxac said:

attacks re-roll hit and wounds

Prepare for the same nonsense when near the banner thing, those space demons reroll everything too. And their summoning is cheesy, while their shooting is broken 😂👍

always remember to hit their weak spots first, stupid toad-mummy and their banners or crazy machines. Kinda like us, whacking at the skellis is kinda stupid, when three heroes and three gravesites are around. 

Beware of the carnosaurus scream thingy and best of luck!

54 minutes ago, walheim said:

I've been brainstorming a new death army!
I do not yet own the book of nagash, so I would like some help from you guys!

The list is a classic, so not much wrong there, I wouldn’t field Archai (5+ MWs save), but harvesters (3d6“ charge). Still the halberds through.

how to deck out your heroes?! If you play with realm artifacts, ethereal amulet is kinda the consensus. If you don’t, morghebs claw for the necro, to get his spells in.

merciless hunter or unholy impetus as traits, depending on your strategy (lord with morghast or without).

that‘s about it, classic list, classic strategy, so your opponents might come prepared, Rest are details... need to see what goes in your local meta. Be aware of the fact, that a lot of LoN power comes from synergies and doing it right. No malintent, but if you’re playing undead for the powercreep (fine by me) you can get smashed pretty bad by people who know how to counter LoN, especially since their pretty strong showing in the top tier scene. Somewhere in this forum ianob linked a podcast of his, with the titel „How to defeat LoN“ that gives a good overview over our weak points 😂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Honk said:

The list is a classic, so not much wrong there, I wouldn’t field Archai (5+ MWs save), but harvesters (3d6“ charge). Still the halberds through
how to deck out your heroes?! If you play with realm artifacts, ethereal amulet is kinda the consensus. If you don’t, morghebs claw for the necro, to get his spells in.

merciless hunter or unholy impetus as traits, depending on your strategy (lord with morghast or without).

that‘s about it, classic list, classic strategy, so your opponents might come prepared, Rest are details... need to see what goes in your local meta. Be aware of the fact, that a lot of LoN power comes from synergies and doing it right. No malintent, but if you’re playing undead for the powercreep (fine by me) you can get smashed pretty bad by people who know how to counter LoN, especially since their pretty strong showing in the top tier scene. Somewhere in this forum ianob linked a podcast of his, with the titel „How to defeat LoN“ that gives a good overview over our weak points 😂👍

Nice!
I'm not really in it to win it, i just wan't some shenanigans and a strong list that wont loose every game.

I'm thinking about making the vampire on foot my general so i can charge in with my dragon and not be as careful. Is this a good tactic?

I'm aware the 3d6 is nice af, but that 5+mw save is dope... but if im going to have them alfa strike the 3 dice makes it so much easier to get that first turn charge..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, walheim said:

making the vampire on foot my general 

Or the necro, stuck deep into the skellis he should be kinda save...

2 hours ago, walheim said:

the 3d6 is nice af, but that 5+mw save is dope...

Depends what your facing... else getting that 9“ charge of should be more important than some MW saves (terms&conditions apply)

• LOVE IT! 1

On 3/22/2019 at 1:28 PM, Honk said:

Prepare for the same nonsense when near the banner thing, those space demons reroll everything too. And their summoning is cheesy, while their shooting is broken 😂👍

always remember to hit their weak spots first, stupid toad-mummy and their banners or crazy machines. Kinda like us, whacking at the skellis is kinda stupid, when three heroes and three gravesites are around. 

Beware of the carnosaurus scream thingy and best of luck!

The list is a classic, so not much wrong there, I wouldn’t field Archai (5+ MWs save), but harvesters (3d6“ charge). Still the halberds through.

The battle versius Serpahon was cancelled. 😭

But tomorrow i fight versius Nighthaunt and i think that Vampire lord on Zombie Dragon is inefficient versius this army (for the rend invunerability), i change this for a Covern Throne and maybe i use Legion of Sacrament with Arkhan.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

At last, my seraphon battle. Tomorrow i will be have 2000 p battle vs Seraphon in aleatory handbook matched play.

Which of this two list is better vs seraphon?

- General
- Trait: Swift Form 
Prince Vhordrai (480)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
- Ancient Blades
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
60 x Zombies (320)

Total: 1890 / 2000

In the reserve:10 dire wolves more two dragons.

*i don't have hordes of chainrasts, more skeletons or grimghast reapers.

Extra Command Points: 2

Or:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Coven Throne (260)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Blades
20 x Zombies (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
- Spirit Haldberds
10 x Black Knights (240)

Total: 1950 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Edited by Sartxac
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

37 minutes ago, Sartxac said:

Which of this two list is better vs seraphon?

Only played them once, so pour salt over this:

double dragon!!! I do love the coven throne, but against the lizzards you’ll need all the alpha punch you can get...

maybe think about the cogs to make that 9“ charge, getting the boyz stuck in front of an whole army  

run to the objectives, backline double dragon charge, never surrender 

best of luck, Nagash protects

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Honk said:

double dragon!!! I do love the coven throne, but against the lizzards you’ll need all the alpha punch you can get...

maybe think about the cogs to make that 9“ charge, getting the boyz stuck in front of an whole army  

ok, i will use the double dragon list. Tomorrow i will explain the conclusions.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Honk said:

I do this change. 

General: vampire lord, command trait: Unholy Impetus With the objective to do better the skeletons in close combat.

i think that this is better than a swift form in the dragon.

6 hours ago, Sartxac said:

Unholy Impetus With the objective to do better the skeletons in close combat.

I‘m not sure if this is a great idea, since you do not want our small heroes in combat. They are too valuable for regeneration and buffing and too squishy when caught out in the open. if your skellis need to do some extra stabbing, you can use the vampires command ability

Unholy impetus would work in the double dragon list too, giving vhordrai some extra punch... 

4 hours ago, Honk said:

I‘m not sure if this is a great idea, since you do not want our small heroes in combat. They are too valuable for regeneration and buffing and too squishy when caught out in the open. if your skellis need to do some extra stabbing, you can use the vampires command ability

Unholy impetus would work in the double dragon list too, giving vhordrai some extra punch... 

But only one new attack with the lance of Vhordrai, not the dragon. The vampire lord and necromancer must be use cp for the bravery test, the other cp will be for the double dragon cp.

Edited by Sartxac

3 hours ago, Sartxac said:

But only one new attack with the lance of Vhordrai, not the dragon.

Not really sure about that, if there is a FAQ to that, but it says "all" melee weapons.

But the mount thing is still unclear/tricky for me. sometimes it is affected, sometimes it isn´t o.O

I´ll be rocking 0.60 cal Zombers, 40 skellis, 20 wolves and a cart together with 4 necros and a vampire in a 1500 supergrind list tonight

;-D

let´s see if New Khorne is up to the task

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Not really sure about that, if there is a FAQ to that, but it says "all" melee weapons.

But the mount thing is still unclear/tricky for me. sometimes it is affected, sometimes it isn´t o.O

I believe per the Core Rule Book, that Command Traits, and Artifacts do not affect Mounts, while everything else ( unless otherwise stated specifically on that Command Ability, spell, ect ) does. Since Unholy Impetus is a Legion of Night Command TRAIT,  I would say it does not affect the mount and thus only would buff the Lance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1