AoS 2 - Legion of Night Discussion

RuneBrush

Welcome to the new Legion of Night discussion thread!  Following on from the release of the second edition Age of Sigmar rules, this thread is the main thread to talk about all things related the Legion of Sacrament allegiance of Grand Alliance Death.  For new players Legion of Night is ruled by the Mortarch, Mannfred von Carstein, a vampire who is known for his ruthless and cunning tactics

We do encourage people to create your own threads talking about your armies, home written fan fiction, conversions and paint jobs (not everybody frequents the painting forum), but this thread will be the central place to talk tactics, list building and general conversation and similar.  You all know the drill!

For easy reference, here's a link to the old Let's Chat thread, it still contains lots of gems of information!  http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/15909-lets-chat-legions-of-nagash/

The following Warhammer Communities article is also worth a read: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/02/legion-night-bloodseeker-palanquingw-homepage-post-2/

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Legion of Night Discussion

I am currently in the process of building my Legion of Night army, and was wondering whether someone with experience playing the legion could share some experiences, most importantly regarding ambushing coupled with gravesite summoning. 

My plan pretty much consists of taking Mannfred along with a VLoZD/Vhordrai, some morghast and possibly another hammer unit, coupled with 40 skellis +2x5 wolves for BL. Add the ES Chronomatic Cogs to this, ambush vlozd/vhrodrai with 2 other units, summon a unit from a nearby gravesite, and have 4 units within 7" charge thanks to the cogs +2 move/charge.

Is this feasible? Do any of you have experience with ambushing heroes summoning from nearby gravesites upon arrival, is it too hard to position for it?

15 hours ago, KoalaSnok said:

Is this feasible? Do any of you have experience with ambushing heroes summoning from nearby gravesites upon arrival, is it too hard to position for it?

Summoning does take place in Hero Phase, right?

Because if yes, then this doesn't work, as ambush setup takes place at the end of the movement phase.

I also want to play a list with Mannfred, as I really like him as a character/model.

So far I do not have any list ready.

So, lovely legion of night kru, I'm tempted to join your ranks - how well do you find the outflank works out? What do you send in your flanking posse? And does "the bait" actually pay off for you? I can see myself getting all excited for it then finding all the fighting takes place outside my deployment zone. 

Be warned that I'll be avoiding special characters as well so despite how luvverly Mannfred can be, he's not a selling point ?

On 6/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, Captain Roderick said:

So, lovely legion of night kru, I'm tempted to join your ranks - how well do you find the outflank works out? What do you send in your flanking posse? And does "the bait" actually pay off for you? I can see myself getting all excited for it then finding all the fighting takes place outside my deployment zone. 

Be warned that I'll be avoiding special characters as well so despite how luvverly Mannfred can be, he's not a selling point ?

I like big blobs of zombies as bait and outflanking vargheists. But I’m all about Manfred as I love his command ability better than the VoZD.

1 hour ago, Sactownbri said:

I like big blobs of zombies as bait and outflanking vargheists. But I’m all about Manfred as I love his command ability better than the VoZD.

I thought the Legion of night bait rule only applied to deathrattle? 

Yeah I know he's cool, sadly just can't justify him (plus he seems to die pretty easy in a lot of the battle reports I've seen). 

1 hour ago, stickybluetoffee said:

So now that Endless Legions takes place at the end of the movement phase, we can ambush the general  next to a grave site for an easy summons. Is that a good tactic or does hot having the general on the table hamper the army?

Endless legions is for returning slain units. Any hero can already use the gravesite to summon units deployed in the grave. 

Yes, so a potential tactic would be to use a cheap hero as General who stays off the board until you want to use Endless Legions. Maybe a Cairn Wraith - only 60 points. He then appears on the table near a gravesite (which needs to be within 15” of that table edge) and brings back a slain unit (or more than one if you have the CP)

Doing this means that you can keep the General safe from being sniped off to prevent slain models coming back. Give your artefacts to different heroes so all you’d lose is the command trait.

Pondering if that’s worth it.

Played a couple of LoNight games, I like it a lot... but only 1000 points and such

my bait was an aggressively placed 40skellis horde with necromancer in terrain...with back up gravesite. with mystic shield I was at a 2+ save vs no rend o.O brutal and awesome 

ambush were 4 harbringer with scythes and a vampire lord on horse... devastating.

then 2x5 wolves to take the flanks/ objectives 

my feeling after 2 wins(seraphon, kharadon) 2draws(2xnurgle) 1loss(fireslayer)... my tactical genius is subpar and even the best list dissolves in my hands.

we have hard hitting hammers (vlozd/morghast) who can reliably charge first turn, objective grabbing is a piece of cake (ever considered running 30 wolves onto an objective for auto-cap(thx josh)), especially in randomized scenarios and our Centre is being held by 400 points of expert death grind core .

not sure what v2 really brings, but LoNight in the right hands really brings the pain to the enemy. If it’s 4harbringers or 30 wolves, your opponent will be less than thrilled and the set up is at the end of any movement phase, so wait and see what happens before charging in with that terrorgheist

On 6/27/2018 at 10:17 PM, Badlander86 said:

Short answer? To make magic more appealing.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, Captain Roderick said:

The named characters are the best of the bunch.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:57 PM, Captain Roderick said:

I thought the Legion of night bait rule only applied to deathrattle? 

Yeah I know he's cool, sadly just can't justify him (plus he seems to die pretty easy in a lot of the battle reports I've seen). 

You use bait when fishing, as apposed to using Skeletons with the Bait rule.

• Confused 1

On 6/22/2018 at 1:27 AM, KoalaSnok said:

I am currently in the process of building my Legion of Night army, and was wondering whether someone with experience playing the legion could share some experiences, most importantly regarding ambushing coupled with gravesite summoning. 

My plan pretty much consists of taking Mannfred along with a VLoZD/Vhordrai, some morghast and possibly another hammer unit, coupled with 40 skellis +2x5 wolves for BL. Add the ES Chronomatic Cogs to this, ambush vlozd/vhrodrai with 2 other units, summon a unit from a nearby gravesite, and have 4 units within 7" charge thanks to the cogs +2 move/charge.

I've had much more success ambushing Morghast Harbringers, and using VL on ZD and Mannfred deployed on the table. I've found it gives me a tactical advantage, and I can use it to summon 40 skeletons in the middle of the field (9" from the enemy) and then hit them hard.

Ignoring Cogs, because I'm yet to play AoS 2, Ambushing doesn't always turn out the way you planned. It's easy to fail charges and can be zoned out with smart players. Initially I was running 6 Vargheist but I almost never made the 9" charge, and my Terrorgheist base is too big. At least with the TG it has 10" scream

• Thanks 1

Yea I’ve never used ambush with the intent to charge and kill a unit. I place vargheists in ambush with the express intent to force my opponent to shift and intercept them. The 9” ambush charge is a red herring as you mentioned since it’s  unreliable. But the Vargheists 12” move a turn later always does the trick. I miss them being battleline for soulblight.

3 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

Yea I’ve never used ambush with the intent to charge and kill a unit. I place vargheists in ambush with the express intent to force my opponent to shift and intercept them. The 9” ambush charge is a red herring as you mentioned since it’s  unreliable. But the Vargheists 12” move a turn later always does the trick. I miss them being battleline for soulblight.

Would you consider the 9" charge more viable if you had Cogs?

17 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

I’ve had a lot of success with Ambush but you need think really think about how you maximise it and willing to not drop them too soon. 

I’ve held a Necromancer back in ambush until turn 4 so i could backbord my opponent and take out a secondardy.

I’ve used 5 direwolves to ambush onto late game objectives like knife to the heart, or a flying vampire lord to secure an early game objective. 

Morghast Harbringers have been an ambush godsend for me. 

I find the physological advantage of ambush is it’s greatest feature. It messes with people’s deployment and i find my opponents ALWAYS try to stop me from ambushing my Terrorgheist and VL ob ZD... and I mess with them by holding them out to be my last deployment. 

At that time they’ve forgotten i’ve ambushed Morghast.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

I find the physological advantage of ambush is it’s greatest feature. It messes with people’s deployment

The last game i played was against a SCE player. I held my ambush units off the field untill my opponent concedeed at the start off round 4, I did not need my ambushing units since the rest off my army held the needed objectives to win while killing my opponent. It helped me so much, he used many units to prevent me from ambushing from behind.  Everytime he moved a unit he was to afraid to leave the edges off the map open for a ambush, it limited him movment alot.

+It was super fun to se his despair with the fact that my main army killed him while i had some powerfull hammers in reserve. 

Neither his or my list are perfected for tornaments in any way. Both off uss are pretty new to wargaming and AOS.

Hi folks,

Interested to hear thoughts on a legion of night army i've written: (Please do give advice)

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (Deathlance, Chalice, Shield) (General) (Pinions) (Swift Form) (Realm item that makes character immune to rend)

Necromancer (overwhelming dread)

30 Grave Guard (Sword and Board)

10 Skeletons (Blades)

10 Skeletons (Blades)

10 Dire Wolves

2 Morghast Harbingers (Swords)

2 Morghast Harbingers (Swords)

Terrorgheist

I'm new to legion of night so mainly written the list to try and maximise some benefits of the legion while also building a list with flexibility

Thanks folks!