AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

How do they work?

IIRC:

Rules in the LoN book under all the different Legions. 

In short:

In your herophase a Death unit from the Legions of Nagash (not sure about nighthaunt, no to FEC) within 9“ of a gravesite can be chosen (only one unit per gs) to heal d3 wounds. If the unit only has 1hp models regain that many models...

and you get to set up 4 gravesites (2 in your territory, 2 wherever) after choosing sides before setting up units, they are just markers, points on the board.

no other interaction with any models. Nicely sculpted and beautifully painted is nice, but better not get in the way...

I have a question about assembling some miniatures and the WYSIWYG  rule (what you see is what you got)

Lets take an example that I'm in actually:

Geave guards. Min unit = 5 max 30 . I got 20. 

I intend to play them mostly by 20 but sometimes by 5. Main weapon: Great whigh blate (one double handed big blade)

For each 5, I can have Chief+Musician+Flag+2 normal.

I'd like to build them like this but

1. when I group them by 20, is it allowed to say: they are all big blade? (even if musician and flagman are single blade)

2. when I build them, there is always one trio (and only one) identified by a skull on the base to say "this trio is the only chief+music+flag of the 20 man".

Do I break the WYsiwyg rule? Can I do this in tourney?

Please advice and share before I glue them tomorrow....

PS: I don't even remember what a musician and a flag bring to the unit in term of rules :$

Edited by GeneralZero

21 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Can I do this in tourney?

Don’t know about the high end tournaments, a 20 strong unit of gg with 4 champions, 4 banners and 4 musicians might be a little bit too much. Best is to ask beforehand or to up your glue-game and magnetize your junk.

and one TO might say WYSIWYG4life and a week later rule of cool and please nominate and mark your real command unit. 

3 minutes ago, Honk said:

please nominate and mark your real command unit. 

as written above, there is ONE trio of command marqued with a skull on the base, it is clearly identified. But yeah, too many musician and flags.

Maybe 2 groups of 10? As they usefull in group of 5?

I had the same build issue with my skelletons: 40 of them, 4 groups of 10 with each music chief flag...

31 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I have a question about assembling some miniatures and the WYSIWYG  rule (what you see is what you got)

For most warscrolls, the entire unit is equipped the same way. Even if the command models are equipped differently on the models themselves, they count as being equipped in the same way as the rest of the unit. So your banner bearer may have a flag and a one handed sword, but if the rest of the unit is equipped with great wight blades then the banner bearer also counts as being equipped like this. 

The exception to this rule are the warscrolls that allow you to equip different models in the same unit with different loadouts (eg: Tzaangors, 'Ardboyz, etc.). In this case it's up to you to make sure the correct weapons are represented. 

As far as multiple sets of command models goes, the unit can only have one leader/champion. Most warscrolls don't put specific limits on banner bearers or musicians, but it's pretty accepted practice to only have one of each per unit. If you are planning for a specific tournament you should check with the tournament organizers. Otherwise, the only safe bet for being able to switch between multiple small units and one large unit is to magnetize.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GeneralZero said:

Magnetize...big LOL

How do you magnetize a skeleton arm which is 0.5mm wide? LOL. Impossible. Most basic units just can't. That means, buying more and more plastic which is not good. BTW, what a musician and a flag bring to the unit in term of rules?

There are definitely magnets that are small enough and powerful enough to work. They are super cheap if you order them directly from China, too. 

8 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

especially with my big fingers shaking like a vibrator

Well, that’s of course a big problem... re-start smoking?!

After rereading the rules for grave guard and skellis you can build the flag marching band of doom. As many musicians and as many flags as you want, with no restrictions on your weapon choice . ONE Champ to lead them all.

good for us, and I do admit running mixed weapons in my skelli blocks. I transport them in one big box and sometimes there are open spaces for internships.

I do get kinda annoyed if brutes or tzangors are not WYSIWYG. When my opponents start to ramble I just tell them to say how many saves are required. Don’t want to accuse them of cheating, in a big pile of melee The Who fights where with what tends to confuse me...

15 minutes ago, Honk said:

Standart bearer: death banner, reduce enemy bravery by 1 if within 6“ of ANY death banner

Musician (hornblower): can count a charge roll as a 6

Thx but where did you find that? I couldn't find any rule. Is this rule for all type of flag/standart and all type of musician or specific to a unit?

On 7/16/2018 at 6:55 AM, Vortumnas said:

I keep trying to make a list with LoS too and find myself running into a similar problem. Mostly asking what else I could spend those 310 pts (for the battalion and engine) on, and how many spells I really need.

Way I figure, I want Dread, Vigor, Danse, and Curse of Years every turn. Maybe a 9" Soul Harvest through a spell portal cause that's just darn fun. That's 2-3 necros and Arkhan. Throw in some endless spells and I'm good, why invest in the battalion? Sure, more spells, an artefact and a cp, but for the same exact pts you could take 1 more necro, prismatic palisade, spell portal, cogs and 1 CP. 

Whenever I see this Engine is a tax thing everyone always leaves out one exceptionally important part.

+1 TO SAVE ROLLS NEAR MORTIS ENGINE with the battalion. And you should always be near it if running for the extra spells. That alone with the command point is worth it.

• Haha 1

Is there a HEAVY MAGIC kind of list around the LoS? It seems that magic got a big boost with LoS, why not trying a super big boom magic list with several wizzards (necro, vampires etc...) making sure that our bomm spells are well casted without any counter spell list. I think that it should be one of if no the best magic list in AoS....

What do you think?

Mostly because we don't have a lot of big boom magic.  You can get some of that out of endless spells, but the points costs involved, the chance of those spells being bounced back at you after you cast them, and the limit of each caster only attempting a single endless spell per turn, kind of limit that.

Our best spells tend to be more of the utility kind.  Debuffs from necromancer lore, stuff like pinions or soulpike on the vampire side.  There are some solid offensive spells - arkhan's curse of years, the vampire spell amaranthine orb, but while their potential damage might be reasonably high, they're also rather unreliable.  I can't tell you how many times I've thrown off a curse of years only to do no damage at all, or pulled off a double-cast orb only to wiff against every unit it passed over.

Don't get me wrong, our spells are great, but they aren't generally great at killing things.  They soften the enemy up for your units to hammer them, but that still means spending most of the points in your list on units to hammer with.

That said, if you wanted to try direct damage magic heavy list, maybe something like...

Spoiler

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Allies
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (130)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 180 / 400
Wounds: 145

That's just off the top of my head, you could probably put something better together if you tried.  I do kind of like the look of that, though.  Might try running something like that myself some day.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

Read through this and made up this list which is a rip off on one I've been playing a round with for a while. 

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Decrepify (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Vampiric Sword & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (110)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Behemoths
Mourngul (300)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Pop Arkhan behind the wall to make sure things can be re-summoned & support with magic stuff. 

Steal objectives with the wolves, spirits.

Anvil unit Chainrasps buffed by the Spirit Torment.  

Smash up things with the Mourngul & Vzomb.

What do we think? 

My Sacrament list is honestly mostly just for the +1 to cast and the 4+ chance of bringing back a unit when you kill a unit off a grave marker. It's mostly night haunt based but I think the sheer number of d3 res's per turn plus the ability to bring back full units barely beats out the pure Nighthaunt. This is what I'm currently looking at;

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Trait: Dark Acolyte 
Vampire Lord (140)
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Vampire Lord (140)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Vampire Lord (140)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (120)

Units
6 x Fell Bats (160)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 187

The only unit I'm unsure about is the Fell Bats. I love the idea but I'm not 100% sure they'll pull their weight. Also I might either break up the dire wolves into 2 squads or drop 5 and take cogs for faster undead.

57 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I really like it and it's close to what I'd do...except that now, I can't buy wolves because they are out of stock on planet Earth (and probably in the whole galaxy also)

I answer to myself: 10mn ago, I received a mail from GW: dire wolves are back in stock!!!