AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

Not yet I’m afraid, was running a fat stack of Spirit Hosts instead of Morghasts but then the battalion went up and Endless Spells happened so I’m adjusting by bringing the Morghasts as bodyguards for Arkhan and Mortis Engine in case of deepstrike shenanigans while they’re he’s sitting at the back chucking out spells. 

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Kurdoss Valentian(220)
- Allies
Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (130)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 220 / 400
Wounds: 148

any thoughts?

Kurdoss for stealing CP and his awsome combat profile

5 minutes ago, Vortumnas said:

Does Arkhan's command trait affect endless spells?

Well, they are spells, and the ability says : ...can increase the range of their spells by 6“...

so yes, it should be affected 

3 hours ago, Honk said:

Well, they are spells, and the ability says : ...can increase the range of their spells by 6“...

so yes, it should be affected 

Thank you, this was my interpretation as well, but I didn't want to take it for granted. So, in theory, Arkhan could be 7" away from an Umbral Spellportal, place the other end of the portal 24" away, and then gain +6" to whatever spell he casts through the portal? If I'm interpreting that right, that's insane.

47 minutes ago, Vortumnas said:

Thank you, this was my interpretation as well, but I didn't want to take it for granted. So, in theory, Arkhan could be 7" away from an Umbral Spellportal, place the other end of the portal 24" away, and then gain +6" to whatever spell he casts through the portal? If I'm interpreting that right, that's insane.

I think he still has to be 1" from the portal, and the 2nd portal must be set up within 18" of the first.  But yes, whatever he casts through the portal would have it's range extended by 6".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whats your thoughts on this list guys? Is it overkill running the VLoZD and 4x Harbringers?

Arkhan the Black, Overwhelming Dread

VLoZD Lance,  Sheild and Chalice,  Vile Transference (Wristbands of Black Gold)

Vampire Lord (Flying),  Amaranthine Orb

Necromancer,  Fading Vigor

40x Skeletons (Spears)

20x Chainrasp Horde

5x Dire Wolves

4x Morghast Harbringers with Halbards

1950 points 

I have a variation on this list which uses a Guardian of Souls in place of the Vampire Lord, and bumps the chainrasps up to 40, and drops the Harbingers for 30 Grimghasp Reapers. Lots more bodies but not sure if the reapers will pack as much of a punch. Much more resilient list in theroy however.

Happy to hear your thoughts

My only hesitation with morghasts now it's that they're not summonable, so once they're gone, they're gone. Personally, I'd drop them and go for grimghasts or spirit hosts: have the VLoZD bring em out of the grave upfield and use his command ability on them. A 360pt squad of either would leave 80pts and you could then bump your chainrasps up to 30. Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys I have a question as all of us know we could integrate the soul wars unit's in our legions 

And all of us know the battletrait that our wizards could choose a spell from the lore of death

Now to my question how could my GoS choose a spell if he didn't have the vampire, deathmages or deathlords keyword same goes for the dark acolyte trait if I take a Cairn Wraith a tomb banshee or a wight king and gave them the trait 

Could I say for the choice of spell they are deathlords and could choose from both

This is what I'm currently building towards, just need a few more spirit hosts and the endless spells.

C&C appreciated!

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

i was considering chainrasps for their save and movement, but settled on skellies for their better damage output, and because I already have them. Leaves me without use for the Soul Wars NH I just got though...

4 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Hey guys I have a question as all of us know we could integrate the soul wars unit's in our legions 

And all of us know the battletrait that our wizards could choose a spell from the lore of death

Now to my question how could my GoS choose a spell if he didn't have the vampire, deathmages or deathlords keyword same goes for the dark acolyte trait if I take a Cairn Wraith a tomb banshee or a wight king and gave them the trait 

Could I say for the choice of spell they are deathlords and could choose from both

GoS i believe will get a spell from the new NH lore, which looks decent. I don't believe a non-wizard character gets an additional spell from one of lores if it takes dark acolyte, just AB and MS, could be wrong but that's how I've played it

I stand corrected, a dark acolyte can take a lore spell, I got it confused with the DGA trait that is similar. So, if the general is neither a deathtmage or vampire, maybe it can choose either lore? Or maybe, if it's NH,  it has to choose from the NH lore? They might have to faq that

Edited by Vortumnas

Right now, a spellcaster who is neither a deathmage nor a vampire nor a deathlord can take spells from either lore, but while it's a clear reading, it's also a rather tenuous one that could come down either way in future errata/faq updates.

Seeing as all heros with deathmages or vampire keyword are already wizards, the part of that trait which grants the general a spell from the lores would be completely unnecessary unless heros with none of those keywords could actually get a spell from it. 

See the rule specifying the lores this way instead: deathmages CANT pick from lore of the vampires, and vampire CANT pick from lore of the deathmages. This is what the rules actually say, just worded different ly. 

Edited by KoalaSnok

Im opting for VLoZD over vhordrai because his role is to zoom 19" upfield and take the focus of enemy shooting off Arkhan. With the wristbands, he's more resilient than V, cheaper, and can buff next turn whatever he summons.

I like Vhordrai, and use him in my 1k list, but in my 2k list he doesn't quite fit my needs. He's a loner/hero-buffer and I needed a force-multiplier/tank.

Interesting thoughts.

I'd quite like to try both out. 

11 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Can take an artifact and if the vampire is a general, then he can take a Trait.

Can't have a trait as I have Arkhan in my list so he must be general . Feels a shame to be penalised to have Arkhan as general but there we are

Any thoughts on this guys? Really maxing out on my nighthaunt stuff & I sincerely think that chain rasps are the best battleline in the game now. 

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Vampiric Sword & Shield & Chalice
Necromancer (110)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
30 x Chainrasp Horde (240)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mourngul (300)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 125

12 minutes ago, Boombatty80 said:

Any thoughts on this guys? Really maxing out on my nighthaunt stuff & I sincerely think that chain rasps are the best battleline in the game now. 

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mourngul (300)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 125

How do you plan to play the list?

With a VLoZD and a Mourngul, surely you’d want to attack with those two. Arkan is a good distraction that you could try to keep just out of reach. The Spirit Torment is good support for the Mourngul. The necromancer would want to hide behind the ‘rasps and support them. But do you need two high model count units? Maybe you need more fast stuff to attack with beside the VLoZD and Mourngul?

You could replace one unit of ‘rasps with 4x5 Dire doggies or 3x2 bats for mobility plus board control. Or drop the endless spells as well and add a terrorgheist to get total threat overload.

The hordes are there to attack too really. I'm convinced they'll be underestimated and at that size they're almost always going to get their re-rolls.

Tweaked a bit though to take on board comments about objectives. At those sizes I ought to be able to summon them repeatedly from my grave sites.  

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)