AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

51 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Yeah, I forgot and used it anyway on a mate’s Stardrake (which I have killed a couple of times now with CoY) but he was able to negate wounds until I fluffed my 3+ roll. I guess if you’re down to rolling 1+s with only 1 dice left and your opponent has that artefact you’ll have to call it quits as they’d be able to cancel it ad infinitum now. 

Actually, per the new FAQ, you dont get to keep rolling the dice if that mw is negated. So it ends naturally.

Side note for LoN: I can't find anywhere some Dire Wolves. They are out of stock everywhere. It seems (and I hope) that GW is reboxing them and put the the right rounded base (in place of the super old rectangle one). Problem is: our only battleline  is skeletton. I have 10 + 30 to build (and they are super long to build). and I don't want to buy more (5 wolves are better than 10 skell)

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Side note for LoN: I can't find anywhere some Dire Wolves. They are out of stock everywhere. It seems (and I hope) that GW is reboxing them and put the the right rounded base (in place of the super old rectangle one). Problem is: our only battleline  is skeletton. I have 10 + 30 to build (and they are super long to build). and I don't want to buy more (5 wolves are better than 10 skell)

You could also use Chainrasps, those are also battleline for LoN.

I can't find the image of the page but GW explicitly stated that all the units you get in the Starter Set are all usable in LoN as normal non ally units, and Chainrasp Hordes clearly have the Battleline tag (unlike some of the other units that say Battleline in a Nighthaunt army).

It's in the new LoN errata:

‘The following units may be selected as part of a Grand 
Host of Nagash, Legion of Sacrament, Legion of Blood 
or Legion of Night army and gain the appropriate 
faction keyword:
• Chainrasp Horde
• Glaivewraith Stalkers
• Grimghast Reapers
• Guardian of Souls
• Knight of Shrouds
• Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed
• Lord Executioner
• Spirit Torment’

Edited by Vortumnas

10 hours ago, KoalaSnok said:

Actually, per the new FAQ, you dont get to keep rolling the dice if that mw is negated. So it ends naturally.

where abouts did you find that?

i have looked at grannd alliance faq & legions errata / faq and dont see that anywhere?

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_legions_of_nagash_designers_commentary_en.pdf

Q: With Curse of Years, are rolls that may negate the mortal wounds inflicted by the spell taken immediately after the wounds are caused, but before you roll the dice again to see if any more mortal wounds are suffered by the target unit? If yes, do I get to roll for additional mortal wounds for wounds that were negated? A: Yes to the first question, and no to the second question.

Edited by Takaloy
  • Sad 1

Vargheists don't hit hard enough to really kill anything and are too expensive for how easy they are to kill.

Solid casual option and they can hit hard but often they will get screened and then immediately wiped out via shooting or a big charge.

I think Morghasts kill things better than Vargheists and Hexwraiths/Black Knights/Dire Wolves work as mobile units.

Edited by Bradifer

On 7/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, GeneralZero said:

Fenrisian Wolves and oval bases? Twice the price but twice as cool. 

• Like 1

Has anyone tested the new endless spells enough to know which ones work out with the Lords of Sacrament Battalion?

I'm seeing a lot of lists drop the battalion because of the mortis engine tax, but I'm wondering if the extra spell casts are better than before with the new spells.

6 hours ago, Bradifer said:

the mortis engine tax

I have to admit this is kind of baffling to me. Mortis Engine is quite solid. It's not super efficient on offense or defense but it's not all that inefficient either, and the utility it brings is great. 

I'm currently working on a Lords of Sacrament list and feel somewhat stuck. Here's what I've got so far:

Arkhan the Black (320)

2x Necromancer (220)

Vampire Lord (140)

20 Grimghast Reapers (280)

12 Myrmourn Banshees (210 - allies)

3x5 Dire Wolves (180)

Mortis Engine (180)

Lords of Sacrament (130)

Cogs, Geminids, and Spellportal (160)

That's a total of 1820. 

The basic idea here is that you've got some efficient, mobile speedbumps with the Dire Wolves, a ton of powerful magic, and two very strong hammer units. They are both pricey and somewhat fragile, but they are both small enough (especially the banshees) to easily bring back via either of the two abilities that we have to return destroyed units. The Vampire Lord is there mostly for his command ability, which scales extremely well on the banshees' very high value attacks and isn't bad on the reapers either. 

I'm not really sure what to do with the last 180 points. I have a couple of things that I am anticipating as problematic:

• I don't have enough bubble wrap to protect against melee alpha strikes. I'd love to fit in a large block of skeletons, but I haven't been able to figure a good way of doing it. Dropping one of the endless spells and a unit of Dire Wolves would do the trick, but its very hard to cut any of those three endless spells.
  • I'm not sure the list can do enough damage quickly enough to stop summoning lists. I'm mostly concerned about Seraphon and Nurgle here. Perhaps it's OK as long as these lists can't push me off objectives as easily (a big block would be helpful here too...), but I'm skeptical.

It's worth noting that I'm planning this list under the assumption that 12 Longstrikes shooting 10 times in the first turn isn't something that is allowed to continue. If the Vampire Lord command ability gets changed at the same time, then perhaps I can see dropping him. That'd allow me to fit a skeleton blob in. 

Some other things I'm considering are a Guardian of Souls mostly for the +1 to wound and/or a second unit of Grimghasts. 

If you are curious as to why I'm not taking the full 30 Grimghasts, it's because of the physical space they take up. 30 32mm bases has a nearly 8" diameter footprint I'm a little worried that this will be too easy to zone out of a single gravesite for resummoning. Maybe I'm wrong though, in which case it'd be nice to pump them up to 30.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I keep trying to make a list with LoS too and find myself running into a similar problem. Mostly asking what else I could spend those 310 pts (for the battalion and engine) on, and how many spells I really need.

Way I figure, I want Dread, Vigor, Danse, and Curse of Years every turn. Maybe a 9" Soul Harvest through a spell portal cause that's just darn fun. That's 2-3 necros and Arkhan. Throw in some endless spells and I'm good, why invest in the battalion? Sure, more spells, an artefact and a cp, but for the same exact pts you could take 1 more necro, prismatic palisade, spell portal, cogs and 1 CP. 

1. Mortis : is this just a tax or an efficient (lets say not just trash) unit in the list?

2. I know that this is a LoS thread, but has anyone tried to build a similar list without the tax of mortis and bataillon and see if something is as efficient? Mortis+bataillon= a lot of point to play with...

52 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

is this just a tax

Well, it is a kind of tax. But on the other hand, the engine is not total junk. It adds to your casting another +1 it has a large footprint to block off your casters and once per game it heals your Charakters while damaging all enemies around. Melee is pitiful and the banshee scream is a scream. Useless against undead and demons, but with a standart and overwhelming dread suddenly pretty good

6 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

healing effects all death friend or foe.  

Same with the gravesites...just too funny double 40skelli slap-match with 8d3 regen each turn 

well kinda funny at first, then it gets kinda stupid instead