AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

16 hours ago, Hot Peanut said:

See that pic the first time are those endless spells for LoN? 

Part of the new "Forbidden Power" expansion. Supposedly they are for everyone, representing the realm of Shyish.  There is also a new terrain piece that anyone would be able to use. Think that is about all the info we have now?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Played against Daughters for the first time over the weekend. Ran a LoS skelly heavy list with a vamp lord/zombie dragon as general.

My god they hit hard! With the help of summoning I ended up having to bring a total of 170 skellies to the table. 

I won by playing the objective game but don't think I've been hit that hard since 2.0 dropped. Easily one of the hardest hitting armies I've seen in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I started collecting Nighthaunt when AoS 2.0 came out. I really like the idea, and the way they look. Sadly, I was not very good with them, and lost a lot of my games, which taught me a lot about the game.

I figured that my guys just didn't have the support they needed, and not having the ability to resummon really felt bland. I picked up Arkhan and my LoS list was born.

LEADERS 
Spirit Torment (120) - goes with the Spirit Hosts
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140) - goes with the Chainrasps
Necromancer (110) - goes with the Grimghast Reapers, fading vigor
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (320) - Overwhelming Reach
- General
UNITS 
5 x Dire Wolves (60) - cheap battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60) 
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280) - Screen #1
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360) - Hammer
9 x Spirit Hosts (360) - Anvil
5 x Hexwraiths (160) - Objective grabbers

I thought I was ready for tournament play. I did a lot of research, and figured I new what I was doing. My previous tournament was a disaster, I lost every game, and basically had not clue what I was doing, and even no clue what my opponent was doing. This time was going to be better!

My first game was vs DoK. He had a 30 strong unit of witches, some cavalry, Morathi, and some smaller 10 witch units, and some body guard half serpent half witch things. Focal Points. I deployed conservatively. I learned this from my previous losses, he went first. He rushed everything towards me, even leaving his back objectives vacant. He failed a couple 8" charges and that was his turn, I debuffed the 30 unit with -1A, surrounded it with the chainrasps, who had Danse Macabre. I killed about 20 witches, only losing 10 Chainrasps for my troubles. The Reapers failed their charge and I am glad I went for the sure thing Danse on the Chainrasps instead of going to the Reapers. The game was basically over. He controlled the middle, the Spirit Hosts tied up Morathis, but he can't lose more than 3 wounds a turn. Dire Wolves and Hexwraiths took out smaller units, and grabbed some objectives. I was happy with how this played out. I didn't get the double turn, and, my opponent said that if he got that charge off then he would have won the game. I felt that it didn't matter since he was going to charge the Chainrasps, and that I had the Reapers on standby and that I was going to just bring back the entire unit of Chainrasps immediately if he killed them. If he had two 30 strong units, I am not exactly sure what I would have done. I probably would have given up a lot of the middle and hoped that he killed only one full unit per turn while I slowly killed 1/3 of his units and hoped he never got a 3VP. Either way, it would be tough to get the middle 2VP and hold it during the initial turns.

My 2nd game was vs Chaos, I think everchosen? He had a guy on Manticore, a War Mammoth, a bunch of Knights, some wizards, marauders, chaos knights. His things didn't really hit that hard. Duality of Death. I got first turn, and went all in rushing the dire wolves over the two objectives. I knew my characters were too slow to get there, and I had deployed defensively again. My GoS did roll a 6 on his run, but was 4" from the objective. His Manticore guy smashed in to the DW's and only killed 2 of them. The Mammoth was tied up by the chainrasps. Later my Reapers came in and counter charged, cleaning up that flank. The other side was held by a Demon Prince, damn he was geared for the mission, two flying characters, I knew I had to kill his character to get him off the objectives, and then have enough time to score some VP's. the Reapers did good on one flank, but I really didn't have anything on the other, the Spirit Hosts were going at it slowly vs the Prince, and his Knights, the Hexwraiths weren't doing much but tying up some units, so Arkhan had to join the party. Finally on turn 3 I got that flank as well, and by turn 5 the game was tied. I had killed most of his army by this point, and most of my army was at full strength, I hadn't lost a character, and the gravesites, and arkhan/necro/gos kept healing my units back back full. This game was scary. I am not a fast army. If I had a Zombie Dragon, I would have taken and held one objective the whole game

Game 3, Knife to the Heart. vs Skaventide. I did not enjoy this game at all. I felt I had no answer to his horde, 40 plague monks, 2 40 strong clan rats, 9 jezails, lighting cannon. He killed my character one my one. I tried to hold both flanks, and kinda baited him to rush one flank with his plague monks. He got a double turn and erased my 40 chainrasps. I resummoned them immediately and held strong, pushing him all the way back to his deployment. It was clear from the beginning that neither of us were going to get both objectives. We both tried a bit, and I lost most of my army doing so. in the end, he lost about half of his, but thats not enough. I really have no answer for the jezzails, or the warp lightining cannon, and the plague monks hit crazy hard. I felt like the scenario didn't let me play the mission, I felt like the possibility of getting more kill points was always out of reach since he outranged me, and had more direct damage spells, while mine were just support spells. Actually, in hindsight, Skaven put out a ton of mortal wounds, and that endless spell triangle was too good. He did good deploying a unit of 40 clan rats in a way that made it so I had to charge them, and I never got a high enough charge roll to fly over them. I always killed them and got consolidated back in to by the plague monks. If the scenario was different, he still would have just shot my characters and Arkhan off the table, and then slowly killed the rest. What could I have done.

All in all, I am happy with the way I played and the decisions I made. I learned a lot and am excited to play in another tournament. I never got a double turn once all day, and only got double turned that one time by the Skaven. F@#K! lol, I love it. also, I cast Curse of years 4 times, and din't roll a single 6 out of all those 40 dice. I am so glad I didn't make point for the spell portals to cast this more. The spell wss garbage

Please help me with some feedback. I really like my list.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boggler said:

Please help me with some feedback.

Congratulations, help yourself 🥳

sadly we don’t have a rodent plague around here anymore.

the jezzailz were crazy, I remember my Ghoulking and his courtiers huddling behind a building, while 40 ghouls tried to daisychain across the whole map 

Basically this. I am certain that if Arkhan wasn't hiding behind a tower and out of the 30" range, he would have been shot off the table. Sadly, the rest of his forces melted from the 40 man Plague Monks. Monks/Jezzails are a crazy good combo. And their Endless Spell aint too shabby.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Boggler said:

Monks/Jezzails are a crazy good combo.

They sound like it...as I said, sadly no more live experiences with rats the last two years.

maybe arkhan with spell portal (CoY, Harvestbomb) for extra extra range and a blackknight suicide charge to soften up the monks.

Pretty CP hungry, but maybe an option...

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

In legion of sacrament, do the Nighthaunt heroes that are part of the LoN army list (via FAQ) gain a spell from lore of Necromancy/ Vampires? Or do they just gain the casting benefits? 

They don't have access to the Lore of the Death spells, but they have +1 to cast spells for Sacrament. 

Greetings

• Like 1

Heros

1x Necromancer
1x Necromancer
1x Necromancer
1x Necromancer
1x Necromancer

Troops

60 x Zombies
60 x Zombies
60 x Zombies
60 x Zombies
1 x Corpse Cart
1 x Corpse Cart

1990/2000

The point would be to chock point the objectives, never dying and winning by objectives points with outnumbering anyone. (Also being able to resummon full team of 60 figurines). I know it's kinda a troll army, but what do you guys think? :P

Looks like the GH 2019 points changes are going to hit the Lords of Sacrament units pretty hard.

LoN points increases:

• Nagash up 50 points
  • Arkhan up 20 points
  • Necromancer up 20 points
  • Dire wolves up 10 points
  • Court of New Lahmia up 40 points

The other death changes are in the spoiler below.

12 hours ago, Sception said:

Quick summary of Death changes only

Reveal hidden contents

FEC:  unchanged

LoN points increases:

• Nagash up 50 points
  • Arkhan up 20 points
  • Necromancer up 20 points
  • Dire wolves up 10 points
  • Court of New Lahmia up 40 points

LoN points decreases:

• Mannfred down 40 points
  • Neferata down 20 points
  • Bloodseeker Palanquin down 20 points
  • Blood Knights down 40 points
  • Grave Guard now in batches of 10, down 20 points compared to two of the old batches of 5.  Max unit of 30 down 60 points.
  • Hexwraiths down 20 points
  • Morghasts (both types) down 20 points
  • Vargheists down 10 points

Nighthaunt increases:

• Grimghasts up 20 points, max unit up 60 points (I think?  video didn't say out loud)

Nighthaunt decreases:

• Olynder down 20 points
  • Kurdoss down 20 points
  • Reikenor down 10 points
  • Dreadblade Harrow down 10 points
  • Knight of Shrouds down 20 points
  • Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed down 20 points
  • Black Coach down 20 points
  • Chainghasts down 10 points
  • Dreadscythes down 10 points, max unit down 40 points
  • Hexwraiths down 20 points (same as LoN)
  • Myrmourns down 10 points, max unit unchanged (no more horde discount)
  • Shyish Reaper down 20 points
  • Vault of Souls down 20 points
  • Mourngul down 20 points

Endless Spell increases - not listing them all, just a few notable ones (to me, anyway)

• cogs up 20 points
  • shackles up 20 (ouch)
  • spellportal up 10
  • swords up 10

Endless Spell decreases - again not listing them all

• purple sun down 50 points (wow)
  • gravetide down 10
  • Maelstrom down 10

So Archon + Necro + Necro + Dire Wolves + Dire Wolves appears in a number of Lords of Sacrament lists I've seen, at least the ones focused on the battalion.

So a 60 - 80 point nerf is going to hurt a bit, but we'll figure it out.

Grimghast Reapers also increased in price.

How will you guys be changing your lists? I will probably add the Morghasts back in or try out the Hexwraiths again.

Edited by Bradifer

17 hours ago, Bradifer said:

Snip

How will you guys be changing your lists? I will probably add the Morghasts back in or try out the Hexwraiths again.

Half of my use for Direwolves was to cover battleline tax and the other free up points for elites/heroes.  With the point changes most elites are not looking so good.  Arkham while a spiffy caster already pays a lot of points for his lackluster combat profile.  Over a year ago I came to the conclusion in sub-2k lists he was taking up too many points.  For the glory of The Great Necromancer it may be time to bench him.

My Legion of the Sacrament lists might go “bread and butter.”  Massed skeletal units and mid-sized chainwrasps units.  Fill in heroes as appropriate.  Maybe throw in a Morris Engine for giggles.  It’s going to be a brave new world for sure.

5 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

For the glory of The Great Necromancer it may be time to bench him (Arkhan).

That nerf hits Death across the board but is guaranteed to hit Lords of Sacrament.

I wonder if they'll drop the points on the battalion or Mortis Engine if the list goes quiet.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:11 AM, Bradifer said:

I'm actually miffed necros went up. They are not that special and it caught me unawares. The change means that instead of running a necro and a mounted vamp. lord as my miscl. heroes, I'm now planning on running two necros. Despite this, my list hasn't really changed (except my 5 GG have went to 10) but I've lost my extra CP for being 1950 (now 2k) and I'll never get triumph. Considering dropping my VLZD to free up points and running a mortarch instead... they're so frail though!    

Got a tourney soon so intend to give it a run out and see how it does.

People say Arkhan wasn't spectacular before so I do wonder if he is worth it now.

Is the battalion worth it at all? The extra survivability and spells seem rather nice to max out your heroes. It's not like there aren't cheap battleline choices to weigh it out either.

14 minutes ago, Charlo said:

People say Arkhan wasn't spectacular before so I do wonder if he is worth it now.

Is the battalion worth it at all? The extra survivability and spells seem rather nice to max out your heroes. It's not like there aren't cheap battleline choices to weigh it out either.

While quite expensive i think that magic is the most dominant aspect of the game, so Arkham AND the batallion still seems like a solid choice, also purple sun spam

Edited by Rod

• 2 months later...

I ran this at Nova this year. I went 2-1 in the Thursday RTT and 3-2 in the Sat-Sun GT. Figured I'd give the ol LoS thread a bump.

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
Necromancer (130)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

The list was heavily influenced by all 3 games of day 1 in the GT taking place in Realm of Fire (which I won all 3). Day 2 both games were in realm of death, and both my games were against Daughters of Khaine (which I lost, but was able to pick up my secondaries). I had 5 really good games in the GT, and both of my losses were still winnable situations if a few breaks here and there had gone my way instead of my opponents. All 3 games in the RTT were a blast as well, I highly recommend these events (and the doubles) for anyone who goes to nova next year.

How the list works is throwing +1a from the vampire lord and fight twice from the necromancer onto a squad of reapers and sending it in, which the chainrasps bubble wrapping everything in behind you. It's totally fine the lose the buffed reaper squad each turn and resummon it the next turn as long as its doing damage and you're able to keep your full-size squad safe so you can buff it up and send it in after you resummon you other squad. You don't really need both units to be in combat at the same time, it's one way you can control how boned you get in the activation wars... but it also means you can get boned if you don't win any priority rolls. You're playing a 5 turn game with this list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys/gals! I've been working on this army for a while. Almost finished. This is what I have that I put together, thinking would be a fun army to play. I've started a battle report channel and want to field these guys very soon. Would love some tips and suggestions on the list, tactics, and artefacts/spells that are best. Do you mind helping?

Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340) - Overwhelming Dread?
Vampire Lord (140) - Black Gem? - Aramanthine Orb?
Necromancer (130) - Fading Vigour?
Necromancer (130) - Decrepify?

40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) - ancient blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) - ancient blades

3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Terrorgheist (300)

2000/2000points
0CP

My thoughts were, use the 10x warriors for bait or bubble wrap so I can get my 40x warriors in range to charge. Use the spirit hosts to grab objectives and terrorgheist to flank or pressure flankers against me. Heroes to buff the skeletons and lay down some mortal wounds where they can. While playing objectives and taking tactics from another discussion, I think setting a couple gravesites near potential action, near my deployment, near objectives, and possible their backfield if possible will be ideal. Use Arkhan to get to the backfield for times that taking an objective back there is most needed. 

Any ideas for what artefacts, spells, list changes, etc. that would go well with my list? i.e. Should I run 6x Spirit Hosts or just two 3x Spirit Hosts as written above?

Edited by Nicholunch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will be fielding Arkhan against Slaanesh tonight:

Arkhan (Soul Harvest)

Necromancer (shroud, OD)

Necromancer (Decrepify)

Vamp Lord (Transference)

Vamp Dragon (Wristbands, Orb)

40 skellis, 10/5 Dogs

Mortis Engine

Lords of Sacrament Battalion

sadly I don’t own the endless spells for a portal bomb...

really interested if the battalion is worth it (probably not, but let’s see)

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Honk said:

really interested if the battalion is worth it (probably not, but let’s see)

Well, it was kinda fun... although he got f.e. Be‘lakors rules wrong and „took Arkhan out“ with the roll 4+ to see if you do stuff 

AoS: simple 4 Pages rules, the 40 specials, errata and comments 🥳

he was pretty fast and blocked the objectives, massacred my wolfen speedbumps for a bunch of depravity and kept me back in my deployment. (4 corner deploy, 2 objectives in the middle)

Almost Cursed one keeper into dust, but wasn’t able to finish, since he made his last save and healed in his phase. Had points for like another keeper and 20 demons...

really liked my sword skellis, Arkhan didn’t do much, because of wrong rules... next time, I’ll spank his depraved butt

On 9/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, Nicholunch said:

snip

snip

My thoughts were, use the 10x warriors for bait or bubble wrap so I can get my 40x warriors in range to charge.

snip

Throwing out a minimal sized skeletal unit as a sacrificial melting wall for a countercharging assault unit is a tactic that goes back over twenty-five years ago from the Death Armybook (when Nagash was sold metal).  Hearing of that working now warms my unbeating desiccated heart.  Thank you Nicho.

Just a few thoughts on the list.

With the two large skeletal blocks  as the hammers that is going to be a challenge.  A good one.

The terrorghiest is nice as a potential source of mortal wound generation, personally I hate the cost and relying on high dice rolls with a wide range on probability.  In total agreement on treating your monster as a free-agent.  Try and leave multiple options open to keep your opponent reacting instead of engaging.  Personally I’d keep the terrorghiest out of solo combat unless necessary or a very practical 150pt kill was served up.  The save is bad and attacks “meh” for the points.  My sweet spot would be in-between a large block of skeletons (middle table area) and spirit hosts on a flank.  Or depending on objectives between both large skeleton blobs.  That way the critter rapidly support where needed or push through if the opposition leaves things open.

The Spirit Hosts can go either way.  Your idea of using them as robust objective holders is valid.  I personally like  them separate because the difference of 9 wounds to 18 wounds isn’t much to a serious assault unit.  The only benefit of putting them together is if all six can make base-to-base contact on something you really want to put mortal pounds on.  You already have a solid strategy for how they are fitting into this specific force.

Since your force is already playing a deadly chess game consider making the vampire a flier and give him the banner.  He’s going to be lurking with the skeletons anyways and dropping to-wound penalties on enemies will increase the boney brigade’s survivability.