AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

So it’s always versus end result? 

For example: I’m Arkhan, I’m casting Curse of Years. I’m within 12” of my Mortis Engine and within 18” of my Corpse Cart. In total I have +4 to my casting. I roll a natural 9 on the dice bringing my final result to 13. 

Even if your unbinding roll is 10 on the dice my spell goes through? 

In fact, there’s literally no possible way to unbind it unless you happen to be a Dwarf Runepriest (who also have +2 to unbind) and roll a natural 12 to exceed me with a 14, correct? 

Rules as written this is correct, most opponents wouldn't waste an unbind to stop a roll that high anyways. Most opponents won't even have enough unbinds to stop even half your spells so they'll save it for curse of years, soul harvest or VHD. Even then, +2 on necros and +4 on arkhan, so good luck to the poor soul trying to unbind.

40 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Rules as written this is correct, most opponents wouldn't waste an unbind to stop a roll that high anyways. Most opponents won't even have enough unbinds to stop even half your spells so they'll save it for curse of years, soul harvest or VHD. Even then, +2 on necros and +4 on arkhan, so good luck to the poor soul trying to unbind.

Actually my maths was off anyway. Arkhan has an innate +2 at full HP, +1 from Legion of Sacrament, +1 for Mortis Engine and +1 for Corpse Cart which means +5 for him and +3 for regular casters (VL, Necromancer). Although, I doubt I will be using a Corpse Cart. What's better for list #1, Corpse Cart or Balewind Vortex:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Azyrbane Standard
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- Mount: Steed

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Black Knights (240)

Battalions
Deathmarch (160)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

Also which list is better overall? List 1 attempts to correct the problem with Skeletons,  by making them faster. List #2 is to focus down on just pure casting. Absolutely magic focused, but I've heard it has big weaknesses against some lists... :/ Really just trying to pad out bodies with what I have to protect my magical boys so they can do the casting thing as effectively as possible. i guess my main offensive is magic, instead of attacks with this one?

Leaders
- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (130)

Endless Spells
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 138

Edited by Ravinsild

8 hours ago, Cursed said:

there's no modifier to unbind endless spells because it's not the same action. 

9 hours ago, Honk said:

With modifiers... 

it was in the deep of night, that’s BS, no modifiers for dispelling.

Still palisades get poofed on a 5+, same as shackles, not really a solid roadblock. But unmovable if you list has no casting attempts 

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all.  Brand new AoS player here.  I have several editions of 40k, Malifaux and Warmahordes under my belt, but other than a few games to put my toes in the water, new to AoS.  Settled on Death and liked the Legion of Sacrament so I wanted to go with that.  Initially I was leaning towards focusing on a Deathmarch list, but I didn't feel like I could make it work unless I just went all-in on the Deathmarch battalion.  So I was hoping to get some feedback on what I'm thinking of building towards.  Please forgive any errors, I just have the Legion of Nagash book.  Picking up the current General's Handbook tonight.  Everything else gleamed from here, 1d4chan, and battlescribe.

Heroes:

1. Arkhan the Black
  2. Necromancer
  3. Necromancer
  4. Guardian of Souls w/ Nightmare Lantern

Battleline:

1. 40x Skeleton Warriors w/ Spears
  2. 10x Dire Wolves
  3. 20x Chainrasp Horde

Other:

1. Black Coach
  2. 20x Grimghast Reapers

Behemoth:

1. Mortis Engine

Lords of Sacrament Battalion

Thoughts and concerns I currently have:

• Idea is for the Guardian of Souls. Chainrasp Horde, Grimghast Reapers and Black Coach to move as a unit.  If I find my opponent withholding a lot of models, the Chainrasp can stay behind to be a speed bump for the Blob of Magic that is the Sacrament Battalion, as I figure they're really just icing on the ghost cake otherwise.  I'm hoping that the Guardian, Reapers and Coach can handle themselves.  The wolves will be either objective grabbers or counter charges to shore up combat as needed.
  • One concern I have is if I have enough damage output.  I don't have a combat hero, so I feel like I'm banking on my ghosts and debuffs to carry the weight.  Being new to AoS, I'm not sure how well that functions on the tabletop.
  • Alternate thoughts I've had.  Though I'm not really excited about Vampire Lords (I'd go with the Wight King, but everything says that for the points, the Lord is just plain better), I've though about switching out the Guardian for a mounted VL, and/or the Black Coach for some raw damage endless spells.  I'd do this banking on the Vampire Lord making up the decreased potential of my Nighthaunt units and the endless spell giving me better results than the Black Coach.
  • I haven't listed realms, selected spells or artifacts because I really don't have enough AoS experience to make judgement calls on that.

Thoughts or suggestions?  Am I heading in the right direction with my thinking?  Thanks in advance, guys.

6 hours ago, Nos said:

What's a good starting point for 1000 points of Sacrament?

(More specifically, just how many skeletons do I have to paint? Inc Sunmons)

you don't summon more skeletons now! so the number you started the game with is the max you can have! ;)

For a good number I suggest you 2 big blobs of 40 skeletons or 30 grimghast reapers with a few 5 dire wolves units. 

Edited by Cursed

I'm looking for feedback on this 2k list. It has worked well for me at 1500 minus the VLoZD , 10 Chainrasp, and Shackles. I'm primarily a Nighthaunt player that has expanded into playing Sacrament. 

Legion of Sacrament:
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - 440
Vampire Lord - 140
Guardian of Souls - 140
Spirit Torment - 120
Necromancer - 110
40 Chainrasp - 280
40 Chainrasp - 280
5 Dire Wolves - 60
30 Grimghast - 360
Soulsnare Shackles - 20
Total - 1950, +1 CP

Edited by MirageFive

2 hours ago, Cursed said:

you don't summon more skeletons now! so the number you started the game with is the max you can have! ;)

For a good number I suggest you 2 big blobs of 40 skeletons or 30 grimghast reapers with a few 5 dire wolves units. 

So coming from Stormcast that's...too many. I don't think my 2000 pointscarmy has more than 40 models total. And I know what I'm like re painting, I always have to paint things at a more involved level than anticipated even if I'm just trying to get things on the table.

Thanks though!

5 minutes ago, Nos said:

So coming from Stormcast that's...too many. I don't think my 2000 pointscarmy has more than 40 models total. And I know what I'm like re painting, I always have to paint things at a more involved level than anticipated even if I'm just trying to get things on the table.

Thanks though!

Yeah Death armies tend to have a lot more smaller chaff to work with which is a different mentality than SCE which is more of an elite/semi-elite style army with fewer models. 

Edited by CaptainSoup

Looking for some list help.  I'm new to death - been in the hobby for years - and playing in a small, local tournament in a few weeks.  Want figure out a list to try and get some practice games in before then.  Any advice is welcome!

Allegiance: legion of sacrament

Leaders:

- Arkan the black, general, soul harvest

- Necromancer, overwhelming dread, aetherquartz brooch

- necromancer, fading vigour, lens of refraction 

- vampire lord on nightmare, amarathine orb

- wight king (possibly mounted)

Battleline:

40 skeletons with spears

2x5 direwolves

Behemoth:

Mortis engine

Battalion: 

Lords of Sacramento 

Then I'm torn between 10 hexwraiths and 10 grave guard, or 10 black knights and 15 grave guard.  Either way it comes out to 1990/ 2000.

Would love some advice from more seasoned death generals

12 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

Lords of Sacramento 

Sounds good, you only need to paint the mustaches  ;-D 

not sure about the wightking , I‘d rather put the 120 points into extra puppies (2x10 or 10/5/5). Or in more fireworks (necro#3)...

And for fast attack I would recommend black knights.

sadly, the real tricky part is using your assets right.

how to protect your heroes, especially Arkhan or your central piece of the battalion, the mortis engine...

how to get/keep objectives...

how to kill...

But I wish your Lords of Sacramento best of luck, Kill them all

7 hours ago, Honk said:

Sounds good, you only need to paint the mustaches  ;-D 

And for fast attack I would recommend black knights.

how to protect your heroes, especially Arkhan or your central piece of the battalion, the mortis engine...

But I wish your Lords of Sacramento best of luck, Kill them all

Maybe I'll call them the Kings of Sacramento and paint little basketball jerseys on them.  

Why black knights over hexwraiths? Just because of the points cost?

Protecting Arkhan and the mortis engine will the hardest part, not 100% how to do it against shooting heavy armies 

5 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

Why black knights over hexwraiths? 

I personally, without any high competitive evaluation, think the black knights are better. Not only point wise, but also 3+\3+ and the high damage on the charge.

of course hexwraith are an ok choice, with rend, frightful touch and ethereal. but, 10 vs 15 graveguard...

I‘d rather have 15    ;-D

So I was muddling over various things, and I have to say that I think that I feel like Zombies might be a strong battleline for the Legion of Sacrament. With the legion being built largely around casting taking Corpse Carts becomes a no brainer, and if you're taking them you should be running Zombies for your Necromancers to bounce wounds into since they're around the same speed as the Necromancer, unlike Dire Wolves who will often be long gone running about the board with little to no support due to how fast they are.

I know we have other options that can hit harder (skeletons) or tank better (nighthaunt battleline) but I feel like the humble zombie may have the most synergy with LoS.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Honk said:

.60cal zomber mob with cart and necro is so much fun... even without being the bestest of best choices. Love fielding them

They do have a good number of attacks and hit like a small truck when properly supported and buffed. At full size they hit and wound on 3s and when near a Corpse Cart that goes to 2s and 3s.  Since we can't get bonus attacks for having extra models throwing them into multiple units and fighting twice seems to be the better method for a max sized unit so we can try dragging down as many models as possible to potentially buff the unit. They can't fight elite combat units, trying up multiple regular units, or shooty units (especially since our hordes are big enough to wrap almost anything) and tearing them apart while preventing them from supporting their army seems viable.

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

They can't fight elite combat units, trying up multiple regular units,

There is a picture somewhere in the LoBlood threat of my mob going to town with most of a Khorne army... buffed by the vamp and his coven. fun times and they lasted throughout the match.

I think zombers can tackle almost any unit. High rend doesn’t matter, high damage hurts like it would everywhere else and with a 2+\3+ low save dies by statistics.

Eraser-units like decimators plaqueclaws are of course devastating, but that is their job.

• Like 2

Hi guys - could I get some honest opinion and assessment of the below? It feels pretty solid to me but interested to know what more regular gamers might make of it.

Cheers.

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Necromancer (110)
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
30 x Chainrasp Horde (240)

Units
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Hi guys. I'm buying undead army. So what do you think about it?

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- General
- Trait: Mastery of Death 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1450 / 2000

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 12:45 AM, Ravinsild said:

Actually my maths was off anyway. Arkhan has an innate +2 at full HP, +1 from Legion of Sacrament, +1 for Mortis Engine and +1 for Corpse Cart which means +5 for him and +3 for regular casters (VL, Necromancer). Although, I doubt I will be using a Corpse Cart. What's better for list #1, Corpse Cart or Balewind Vortex:

Leaders
- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- Mount: Steed

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Black Knights (240)

Battalions
Deathmarch (160)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 126

Also which list is better overall? List 1 attempts to correct the problem with Skeletons,  by making them faster. List #2 is to focus down on just pure casting. Absolutely magic focused, but I've heard it has big weaknesses against some lists... :/ Really just trying to pad out bodies with what I have to protect my magical boys so they can do the casting thing as effectively as possible. i guess my main offensive is magic, instead of attacks with this one?

Leaders
- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (130)

Endless Spells
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 138

For your first list, am I mistaken or is it not legal? How could you take a Death March battalion in a LoS aligned army?