AoS 2 - Legion of Sacrament Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Reading it here in english yes, but the wording/translation in german is slightly off. Instead of „units within range“ , it is more like „measure around the model“... 

That makes more sense, though it would still make most sense to me that, since spellportal lets you measure range & line of sight from the further portal, that that would be the model that you 'measure around'.

Again, though, spellportal is already pretty questionable in all but a very few cases now.  It still seems unwarranted to look for readings to constrict its value even further.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sception said:

Yeah, I meant radius, not diameter.  It is a sick combo, but very expensive between to portals, command points, and requiring 2 successful castings.  Though even if the combo fails, the extra spell range can still be useful for other spells you try that turn.

Yeah v expensive but really useful to know you can do significant turn 1 damage

On 8/11/2018 at 3:05 AM, Sception said:

That makes more sense, though it would still make most sense to me that, since spellportal lets you measure range & line of sight from the further portal, that that would be the model that you 'measure around'.

Again, though, spellportal is already pretty questionable in all but a very few cases now.  It still seems unwarranted to look for readings to constrict its value even further.

Also the english rules are the actual official ones. If a translation makes the two rule versions mean different things, then the english version is the correct one. 

4 hours ago, KoalaSnok said:

Also the english rules are the actual official ones. If a translation makes the two rule versions mean different things, then the english version is the correct one. 

This may be technically accuratr, but I don't think it's practically viable.  If the rules are available in a language, they have to be playable by players who only speak that language.  It is on GW to ensure that all the different versions of they're rules say the same thing, not on the players to double check the technical implications of gramatical quirks in a language that they might not speak in the first place.

Tell me about it, rules in spanish are often flat out wrong or misleading. The latest books came out with tons of errors and in some cases even missing warscroll abilities and command abilities for certain units. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother with the spanish versions and instead buy and look up everything in english. 

They really need to step it up.

Edited by smucreo
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Honk said:

And then you read about a combo, want to try it out and suddenly you’re in a hot debate about the rules and struggle through different possible translations.

The Leo/Google dictionary only works to a certain degree...

If I told you how many times it's been an issue with my local playing group... having to argue with rules lawyers about RAW/RAI in both the spanish and the english versions of the rules is tiresome. In the last tourney I entered the two players playing the final couldn't come to an agreement at a certain point and the game was paused for like 10 min while they looked up the FAQS and rulebooks in both languages :P 

• Haha 1

Hey all

I've been doing quite well with the following list.

Arkhan - spirit gale

necromancer (cloak of darkness -2 to be hit). - overwhelming dread

necromancer - fading vigour

guardian of souls (ignax scales)

5 dogs x 3

30 grimghast reapers

20 grimghast reapers

Mortis engine

Lords of Sacrament

Malevolent maelstrom 

Quicksilver swords

Geminoids

Cogs

extra CP

I've found its very durable, provides lots of units that can screen and has the ability to easily debuff 2 Death Stars or units. With realm spells Arkhan becomes quite tough to shift. The extra CPs mean you have lots of options in regards to play style.

the grimghasts are amazing. The 4+ unrendable has been amazing, and with van hels they're truly terrifying. Even more so with inferno blades.

I'll keep updating as I play more games with it.

6 hours ago, Honk said:

How is that working out for you?!

I always go for survivability and deck him out with vile transference... spirit gale just sounds too unreliable 

It's been working well, the reason I run it is for the extra chance to add minus 1 to hit. 

By turn 2 the deathstars are within range and most opponents don't unbind it since they're worried about van hels (or even curse if they're not running ++ saves) when it goes off on a 9+ then you've got a much higher chance of getting that negative to hit.

In terms of it actually causing the minus 1 to hit, I'd say it occurs 2 times a game on average, Which I'm ok with.

I find vile transference awkward to use since you need to be so close to actually get the heal. Since I'd rather have Arkhan sitting back I find that he isn't actually in range to heal from vile transference. 

In the games that Arkhan has died I've still won because the opponent spent so much time taking him and the Mortis out that my grimghats were able to hold objectives and grind everything else out.

• Like 1

From the FAQ:

Page 60

– Legions of Nagash

Add:

‘The following units may be selected as part of a Grand Host of Nagash, Legion of Sacrament, Legion of Blood or Legion of Night army and gain the appropriate faction keyword:

• Chainrasp Horde

• Glaivewraith Stalkers

• Grimghast Reapers

• Guardian of Souls

• Knight of Shrouds

• Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed

• Lord Executioner

• Spirit Torment’

So not all Night Haunt I'm afraid.

Edited by Calum Todd

To start out he's going for the start collecting skeleton horde and the barrow lords box. Probably gonna build Nef and play Grand Host of Nagash as using the big guy is his dream.

Legions of Sacrament does look sweet, but he's dead set on playing with Nagash once he's mastered 1k games so he may as well practice using his GA. imagine he'll pick up a few more infantry heroes to try out.

Obviously  been discussed before... But for Battleline;

Chainrasp VS Skeletons!?

From what I can tell the output on both is fairly similar (though the Chains will get more at lower numbers), the difference is Skellies are Bravery 10 whereas Nighthaunt always get their (pretty decent) 5+ save.

Any synergies or such that make one better than the other for Sacrament?

Everyone seems to say Zombies aren't that good, and I'd agree as they need numbers and a Cart to be half way decent, so I left them out!

EDIT: Oh I see NH are Bravery 10 too!

Edited by Charlo