AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

When different unit is already debuffing the leadership it indeed does not matter.

You do have a point about Deathless Minions.  The description states it having an effect on the hero or general that then can be applied on any “death” tagged units.  Your ally is the passive unit and not the proccing Hero/General which all have the allegemce abilities.  I’d avoid situations  to use it from an allied Death Hero.  This upcoming spring is the local AoS league and I’ve been having soul crushing issues with not bringing the Briar Queen allied to LoN.

Hey, I haven't checked back in a while but I was at a 2-day event this past weekend (Waughpaca) and thought I'd do a run down.

I ran LoB with:

VLoZD - Spirit Gale

VL General - + 2" M, Pinions, Orb of Enchant

VL - Vile Transference

3 x 5 Blood Knights

3 x  5 Wolves

30 Wolves

Extra CP

First game was vs old skool Dark Elves w 4 Hydras playing the Refused Flank mission with the super lopsided DZs.  I put my wolves on my defensive side and the BdKs on the offensive one.  Popped a 40 man spearmen unit T1 and killed a couple Hydras.  The VLoZD whiffed a 3" charge.  oh well.

1-0

Second game was vs the Multitudinious Host playing Star Strike.  I turtled in the middle and had favorable drops.  Tried to probe with a unit of BdKs but they dropped to the shooting/magic.  Played really defensive after that.  Had some luck on the objectives and was able to play to them.

2-0

Third Game was versus Old Skool Elvish Dragons.  Opp had 4 dragons and 3 Dragon Prince units and that was it.  I was able to sufficiently bubble wrap and basically knocked him out on the crack back.  Not too sure what the mission was.  There were some objectives but I tabled him.  Turns out BdK are really good at taking out dragons.

3-0

Game 4 vs Khorne playing the 3 Blood Thirsters.  It was Places of Power (?) where only Wizards + artifact heroes can score.  He alpha struck getting my general and knocking the Dragon down to 1 wound.  I retreated the Dragon and dropped 2 BTs but he was able to get the Dragon and my other VL.  I would have dropped the other BT but by then he would have been up a VP 1-0.  I guess I could have played to table him but we called it instead.

3-1

Game 5 was vs Nurgle, also with 3 GUOs.  I misread the Missions a bit but it was the one that burns objectives that isn't Better Part of Valor.  I underestimated the GUOs a bit.  we both set up for a refused flank but then he went for my center and was able to burn my objective.  Then he doubled me, knocked out a BdK unit and completely cut my line in half.  Same, as before.  We just called it rather than slugging it out. 

3-2

OMG do they play like they mean it in the deep end of the pool.  I just wasn't really prepared for all the alpha strikes.  The last game vs Nurgle especially, where I could have just pushed my center off the objective a bit more.  Overall I could have better insulated my key pieces.  My hero package wasn't quite optimized either.  I've been down on having the General as the VLoZD bc I don't want to run the Dragon out of combat to mid to late game to go to a grave site to resurrect even the 30 dogs.  But resurrecting always seems a bit Win-More more often than not, anyway.  

I think my plan now is have the VLoZD be the general with the +2" M & re-roll charge ability and give him Pinions.  Then he certainly becomes an Alpha Strike threat if not a guarantee.  Run some BdKs up behind him to crash into anything the responds to the Dragon.  Also not sure about running the BdKs in 1 x 5 and 1 x 10 over 3 x 5.  This was a monster meta rather than a horde meta but Gobbos and Skaven were def on people's radar it seemed.

Edited by Deadkitten
Reasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gonna give this version a run next week. 

Allegiance: Legion of Blood
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Aristocracy of Blood 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
10 x Black Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
Mortis Engine (180)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Reckon the black knights will still be pretty hitty with 10, lost 5 wolves which is fine,  dropped WK too... which might be too much. 

BUT in exchange, running a bat swarm for -1 shooting (keep VL alive), life swarm (cos blood knights are a pain to heal, and this is the only way you can bring whole models back admittedly on a 5+) and bringing two banshees. I've not really made use of these in AoS2, but with LoB, blood knights and overwhelming dread your looking at -3 to -4 bravery without much hassle. These little sisters make a nice body guard for the ethereal VL. Also figured having a couple of extra characters for holding objectives isn't a bad idea. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

warhammernerdI thing that is better use two units of blood knights, one of 5 and other of 10.  You need ensure hit first in a charge with blood knights, for that i only charge with one unit of blood knights by round.

For other band my list was a exit versus khorne list. I fought against (i forget the two artefacts of my enemey): 

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Valkia the Bloody (140)
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (140)
- General

Battleline
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Reaver Blades
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Goreslick Blades
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (280)
- Ensorcelled Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Ensorcelled Axes

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 2030 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

I let he to use more of 2000 points. 

The party consisted in four objectives which do one victory point only in the final of five turn, except one who do two if the unit was in garrison. I only use the summon in the last round to conquer one objective.  The other rounds i used the Neferata command ability.

He summoned 40 bloodletters in two units of 20 for conquer objectives, and for a mistake of me he charged with wrathmongers Neferata and she almost killed herself.

But in summary we draw for points but he only has 400 points of army live and i 1600 points. Nice battle.

The unit of 10 zombies was essential for the protection of necromancer and the unit of wolves a excellent screen for the black and blood knights.

Edited by Sartxac
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sartxac said:

The unit of 10 zombies was essential for the protection of necromancer and the unit of wolves a excellent screen for the black and blood knights.

So your list was neferata, 10 zombers, wolves black and blood knights... any other details 

😂

Thoughts and critique on this list that im building up toward.

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)

Endless Spells
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 123

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Rane said:

Thoughts and critique 

Looks pretty solid... prince & VloZd are a brutal team up.

Don‘t know if the pendulum is worth it, or if more area denial with shackles might be better... extra cp is great otherwise I would have liked cogs...

but that would force you into pure double dragon, which i think is not as strong...maybe the  unrendable amulet instead of ghyrstrike?!

list is great, just gotta learn to use it 💪 🧛🏻‍♀️ 👍

On 2/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, Honk said:

Looks pretty solid... prince & VloZd are a brutal team up.

Don‘t know if the pendulum is worth it, or if more area denial with shackles might be better... extra cp is great otherwise I would have liked cogs...

but that would force you into pure double dragon, which i think is not as strong...maybe the  unrendable amulet instead of ghyrstrike?!

list is great, just gotta learn to use it 💪 🧛🏻‍♀️ 👍

Thanks for the feedback. 

I was juggling a lot of things making it, i wanted the extra command point so both vampire lords could potentially use their commands in the same turn.

I didnt know there was a unrendable amulet, ill give that a look!

the pendulum was also a last minute add on because i had 40 points left but wanted a CP rather than a potential extra unit

1 hour ago, Rane said:

unrendable amulet

Etheareal / aethereal hoqever you Write that correctly...

some realm artifact, makes you ignore rend 🙀 3+ in your face

i don’t Play with realm rules and endless, but the pendulum is at least pretty easy to handle and does some damage...

5 hours ago, Honk said:

i don’t Play with realm rules and endless, but the pendulum is at least pretty easy to handle and does some damage...

I didnt know they existed  but our local group uses them, so i guess i have to adapt 

but will deffs take that ethereal artifact over the ghyrstrike , thanks for the info 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mutter said:

Dragonblades, I'm afraid

They are easily converted to look like true creatures of the night

😅 (not by me) 😅

Heads off, some other shields , maybe bits from the graveguards or skelli sprue (or 3rd party)

Edited by Honk

On 2/13/2019 at 6:46 AM, Nos said:

How are people building Blood Knights these days, Is there a recommended hack or model substitute?

I'm using Chaos Knights.  I trimmed the worst of the spikey bits off and did a head swap.  I also bought a bunch of the Black Templar terminator shields for them but haven't added them.

Dragonblades are the go to unit for sure.

If I had to do it over I think I would use the Warlock models.  Their sense of movement is so good.  Add a lance and shield.  I'd then green stuff some armor and chainmail for the steeds.

I think think the Chaos Knight model is fine but it looks best on the larger base.  This has cheated me out of getting an extra guy in from time to time which I care about more than I thought I would when I decided on them.

Speaking of Blood Knights, I have been told that all-vampire lists...don't really work so well. Is this true? Because I would love to be able to put something like this on the table, as I don't really like the idea of having to take chaff units, but I won't bother trying if it just doesn't work:

(yes, I know how expensive/time consuming it will be to collect/convert 30 Blood Knights :P)

Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Nightmare
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
10 x Blood Knights (480)
10 x Blood Knights (480)
10 x Blood Knights (480)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 110

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Braneric said:

Is this true?

That’s a Soulblight army, for LoB you‘ll need three battleline (10 knights=> 5/5/10 dogs and 5 knights )

I‘d also change two vamps for the coven throne... and go for it! 

real problem is: for the point cost, the Bloodknights don’t deliver. Or are significantly more difficult to use than other units. If they get charged, their damage output drops from mighty hammer to soft pillow. 

On the other side with swift death bloodline and careful positioning, they are powerful and can be fun. But against a skilled opponent or a grindy army they don’t live up to expectations 

21 hours ago, Braneric said:

Speaking of Blood Knights, I have been told that all-vampire lists...don't really work so well. Is this true? Because I would love to be able to put something like this on the table, as I don't really like the idea of having to take chaff units, but I won't bother trying if it just doesn't work:

(yes, I know how expensive/time consuming it will be to collect/convert 30 Blood Knights :P)

Vampire Lord (140)
- General
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord (140)
10 x Blood Knights (480)
10 x Blood Knights (480)
10 x Blood Knights (480)

Wounds: 110

This list is poor. And this only can be used in soulblight legion. Blood knights aren't battlelines.

Imagine that you use this in Soulblight legion with the ability of fly, if you uses the command abbility of vampire lord in blood knight you increase the damage a 30% and do a average of 28-30 points of damage with the blades in charge (the same that you can do in legion of blood wihtout the command ability). But if you don't charge only 14-15points of damage. And only if you can fight with 10 blood knights that is impossible. Really, you might attac with 5 both. 14-15 points of damage in charge and 7 standard.

Blood knights are a elite unit that only is good in charges vs  monsters or elite units. And need's good abilities for increase the damage or resistance. They are very poor for conquer objectives.

Edited by Sartxac

Leaders
Bloodseeker Palanquin (320)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Neferata Mortarch of Blood (400)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Orb of Enchantment 
- Lore of the Vampires: soulpike

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
5 x Blood Knights (240)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)

Battalions
Court of Nulahmia (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 107

This is best list for vampire miscellany list. Or this as a Soulblight legion with:

Vampire lord on zombie dragon as general with Mist Form as command trait. Necromantic bonus for the legion.

And the Bloodseeker Palanquin with blade of endings.

¿People this list as a soulbight or legion of blood? ¿Which is better? ¿Is any of these really competitive?

Copy

Edited by Sartxac

5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
10 x Blood Knights (480)
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)

Wounds: 116

I'm looking at a FEC Gristlegore list and tried to see if I could do it in LoB instead.  This might be a Just Because I Can DOesn't Mean I Should sort of situation.  Not nearly enough casters or heroes for missions.