AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

On 10/20/2018 at 1:27 AM, Honk said:

And it’s a shame... they really were fun to field and delivered. Of course against a 3+ save it’s tough.

just finished the corpse cart, thinking about a relativly pure old school necromancer army...

I can understand that 40 Skeletons are popular for example. But I'm going for a pirate theme and Zombies just fits in better. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

But I'm going for a pirate theme and Zombies just fits in better

Don’t know the price tag, but idoleth eels zombified instead of wolves...

just saw it, brutal. But maybe a vamplord on allopex or triple on eels, then some steals from the darkling...the new app is stupid to search... privateer, black ark fleetmaster...

• 3 weeks later...

So I know the alpha strike Neferata bomb is pretty popular, but after mulling over the Legion of the Blood for a while I feel like they're as close to the old Vampire Counts I know and kind of miss from WHFB (they cause fear, the Vampires Lords hit harder), so I decided to put my lot in with the Legion of Blood.

So I'm only really planning on getting the skeleton starter this week (because Neferata and my strange desire to have her leading a Bonerattle style army at some point) but here's where I'm thinking of taking the army right now:

Heroes
Neferata
400 (General, Soul Harvest)
Vampire Lord on Nightmare 140 (Ring of Dominion, Amaranthine Orb)
Vampire Lord on Nightmare 140 (Soul Pike)
Coven Throne 260 (Vile Transference)

Battleline
Dire Wolves (5) 60
Dire Wolves (5) 60
Dire Wolves (5) 60

Behemoth
Mortis Engine 180

Other
Blood Knights (5) 240 (Full Command)
Morghast Harbingers (2) 220 (Spirit Halberd)
Total: 2000/2000

Total Wounds: 117

So naturally the Blood Knight units are paired up with a Vampire Lord, the doggos screen/take objectives while the Palanquinn pushes for and Neferata, the Coven Throne and the Morghast support them. The Mortis engine supports the casters and acts as a possible bomb in enemy lines between the crypt and the wailing dead. I feel like the army straddles the line between being elite and basically just flooding the board with bodies, but I'm open for ideas or changes. Though VLoZD are likely out for now because as beatsticky as they are, I'd rather use them in a different sort of list than one bringing Neferata herself.

6 hours ago, Fulkes said:

So I know the alpha strike Neferata bomb is pretty popular, but after mulling over the Legion of the Blood for a while I feel like they're as close to the old Vampire Counts I know and kind of miss from WHFB (they cause fear, the Vampires Lords hit harder), so I decided to put my lot in with the Legion of Blood.

So I'm only really planning on getting the skeleton starter this week (because Neferata and my strange desire to have her leading a Bonerattle style army at some point) but here's where I'm thinking of taking the army right now:

Heroes
Neferata
400 (General, Soul Harvest)
Vampire Lord on Nightmare 140 (Ring of Dominion, Amaranthine Orb)
Vampire Lord on Nightmare 140 (Soul Pike)
Coven Throne 260 (Vile Transference)

Battleline
Dire Wolves (5) 60
Dire Wolves (5) 60
Dire Wolves (5) 60

Behemoth
Mortis Engine 180

Other
Morghast Harbingers (2) 220 (Spirit Halberd)
Total: 2000/2000

Total Wounds: 117

So naturally the Blood Knight units are paired up with a Vampire Lord, the doggos screen/take objectives while the Palanquinn pushes for and Neferata, the Coven Throne and the Morghast support them. The Mortis engine supports the casters and acts as a possible bomb in enemy lines between the crypt and the wailing dead. I feel like the army straddles the line between being elite and basically just flooding the board with bodies, but I'm open for ideas or changes. Though VLoZD are likely out for now because as beatsticky as they are, I'd rather use them in a different sort of list than one bringing Neferata herself.

take overwhelming dread or vile transferance on Neferata instead of soul harvest. Soul harvest is only good with Arkhan because of the increase range. with only 3'' range it means you have to be in melee at the beginning of your turn and it's not a good spot to be with Nef. Her debuff aura help her but a good army/unit will munch threw her even with the debuff or will only retreat from combat with her to prevent you from healing. 

Vile transferance is a better way to keep her alive and having the spell 2 times is good for redundancy too! Overwhelming dread is a very powerful spell and since you don't have a Necro, Nef could take it if you want!

For artifacts take the orb of enchantment instead of the ring! Preventing a strong hero to fight for a turn could be crucial for you!

Other than that it looks like a nice list to play in casual environment! Have fun and don't hesitate to tweak your list often! I've found it's one of the beauty of Death, you can make very versatile and different list every game! :) 

just my 2 cents! ;) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the  feedback! I've been looking at running Neferata and a massive bunch of skeletons as well, but I don't know if the extra bravery smack is enough to take them as Legion of Blood over Nagash's legion where they'll get a chance to heal every turn.

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

I don't know if the extra bravery smack is enough to take them as Legion of Blood

That really depends on your environment. Against high bravery neffi kinda lacks, but cool for casual play.

AND ALL LEGION OF NAGASH GET TO HEAL!!!

might not get the extra on 5+ from the grand host, but better than poor Soulblight (where allied skellis could still regen through vamp)

14 minutes ago, Honk said:

That really depends on your environment. Against high bravery neffi kinda lacks, but cool for casual play.

AND ALL LEGION OF NAGASH GET TO HEAL!!!

might not get the extra on 5+ from the grand host, but better than poor Soulblight (where allied skellis could still regen through vamp)

I'd argue against high bravery it still matters a bit since it pushes a 10 down to an 8 which means you don't need to kill as many before they can potentially lose models to it (3 models means they can fail on a 6 for bravery 8 versus 5 for bravery 10, that's a big difference), and since most of those models (outside of LoN that is) are pretty points heavy, so even 1 extra model dropped that way is pretty good.

I know we all get some form of healing, but I was talking more the Grandhost's extra healing buff specifically. I feel like LoB is the slightly more aggressive way to run skeletons while GHoN is the more tanky way. Guess it comes down to what you find fun to play.

• Like 1

I‘ve fielded LoB against Khorne Mortals and it was hilarious. 

If you get whatever elite in a fight with skellis(or other banner unit) and harbringers, plus o-dread things get real. One guy bites the dust -5 to battleshock. 

The 5+ regen for the GH is kinda nice, but I always forget to roll for it (noooby style) 

And the real skelli aggression I‘d Like to try is the double 40 LoN ambush to get that opponents home base... I have a friend, who really would like that treatment. We always like to play that spiteful style against each other. 

• Like 1

I'm fiddling with a Deathrattle list idea for the army, but I haven't really settled on anything just yet.

That said, I picked up the Starting Skeletons box and built my first ten skeletons, a Black Knight and Neferata (into sub-assemblies). And as a bonus, when I put my music on my way to my FLGS the first song that popped up was All We Need is Blood so that made me pretty happy for the coincidence from a randomly shuffled playlist with something like twelve hours of music in it.

9 hours ago, Honk said:

Mortarchs are the nicest to try out magnetizing... just as a heads up

While true, I feel like the paint job has to be more generic for the mount's skulls if you do that. I'm looking at picking up multiples of the Starting Skeletons box for the combination of skeletons and conversion parts to put female vampire lords onto Zombie Dragons (looking at using Neferata's legs and throne combined with the torsos and heads from the extra handmaidens I'll have from building a Palanquin or Mortis Engine because of course I want to be able to run multiple of those big models in a single game) so having all three of the Mortarchs doesn't really bother me much.

Edited by Fulkes

Just now, Honk said:

Yes, there is that...

and if one is going for high personalized custom madness there is only one path of action 

I'm a big sucker for highly personalized custom madness and with AoS it feels like I can capitalize on it a bit more. Plus visual diversity is never a bad thing in the game.

• LOVE IT! 1

At this point it's likely not much of a shock that I'm one of those people who spends a lot of time thinking about my army and different ways of playing it.This ranges from random list building, to spending time thinking about different synergy combos, to ways of deploying everything, to even different stuff to bring in an army. As such I've started digging through the Malign Sorcery book to see what artefacts pair well with the Lore of Blood.

Now there are two things I feel we bring in the Lore of Blood: beatstick vampire lords, and bravery shenanigans. These are the two things that helped attract me to our specific subfaction over the Grand Host's tanking, Manfred's rogue style backstabing, or the magical stylings of Arkham. The idea of winning stalemates by making every casualty mean more, or by dropping buckets of mortal wounds on them by lowering their bravery to the ground and rolling 2d6 for every unit in range is just awesome (also a valid reason why the Legion of Blood should have had the Terrorghiest cloak in its list).

So I'm going to go through all the realms, and even if they're a silly choice (like the realms of life or light) I'm still going to cover them on the list just incase I see something that could work for our army (main focus being for the above qualities of making our Vampire Lords even more beatsticky, or our army even more punishing via bravery penalties). I mean Neferata has her minions everywhere so it's only fitting to acknowledge that there could be agents getting into skirmishes anywhere.

Ghyran
Jadewound Thorn: Allows one weapon to deal a mortal wound on a 6+. Not bad to pair with Walking Death as it'll allow for the a chunk of mortal wounds equal to the damage of that weapon +1 on a 6+, but it might pair better with Swift Strikes as you'll gain additional attacks while also dealing mortal wounds when rolling 6+. There are better options out there though, so only consider this if you want to be from the Realm of Life for some reason.

Verdant Mantle: A solid option for a Necromancer general as it won't take away from your casting to dispell something every turn, and even possibly decent if you're going pure Deathrattle as it'll allow the Wight King some defense against magic (or at least Endless Spells). 

Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra: +1 attack to any melee weapon characteristic is never bad. Especially if you're also running a Walking Death general who could use the extra attacks on their high damage weapons. Swift Strikes pairs well with this of course as extra attacks means more chances to gain extra attacks.

Jade Diadem: Healing a wound everytime you roll a 6+ on your save? Never a bad thing. Not the strongest option for our army since we have a number of ways to heal just about anything, but if you want to put on your best troll face against your opponent worth considering.

The Sunderblade: A shooting attack against everything in 9" that does mortal wounds on a 6+? Not bad, but not great. If we could buff it then I'd rate it higher but a 1 in 6 to do D3 mortal wounds isn't particularly strong when we have better ways to hit multiple units with mortal wounds.

Greenglade Flask: A Chalice of Blood by another name, and available to a Necromancer. Worth considering if you want more healing, but otherwise look at other options first.

Ghyrstrike: +1 to hit and wound rolls? Sign me up! Walking Death loves this as you start doing mortal wounds on a 5+, and Swift Strikes benefits as you'll be getting extra attacks on a 5+. Basically this should be your first relic choice for the Realm of Light if you're running a beatstick vampire lord general.

Ghur
Beastcaller's Bones: Never take this on a Vampire Lord on a Zombie Dragon and be careful of using this near Neferata as well as this doesn't distinguish friendly or enemy models with the MONSTER keyword. Nothing like putting it on a VLoZD only to roll a 5+ on yourself and preventing your dragon from fighting that turn.

Anraheirs's Claw: Sadly doesn't stack with Walking Death, but anything that increases weapon damage isn't a bad option for running a beatstick Vampire Lord. I'd likely pair this with Swift Strikes to increase the number of attacks I could make each round of combat to increase my chances of rolling 6+ to wound.

Amberglaive: +1" (to a max of 3) is never bad, but the real icing on the cake is that is also adds +1 to our hit rolls with that weapon. Basically perfect for making your Vampire Lord have the ability to reach out and touch someone while also dealing mortal wounds on a 5+.

Gryph-feather Charm:
Honestly a good option for pairing with Aura of Dark Majesty. -1 to hit you with shooting (-2 if you can Look Out Sir) and a -2 in melee to enemy attacks while making you a little bit faster isn't a bad pairing for a more defensive build on your general. 

Rageblade: +1 attack is never bad. That said, I still wouldn't make this my first pick for my general. As a secondary artefact pick in the army though, it might be worth looking at.

Tuskhelm: A 50/50 shot at dealing mortal wounds when charging isn't bad, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that the fact that it can hit every unit you are within 1" of after charging makes multi-charging a good idea.

Chamon
Aiban's Hidden Blade: Basically a bonus if you're running a Walking Death general as the extra point of damage on a to-hit of 6+ means an extra mortal wound.

Gildenbane: A nice defensive way to troll an opponent who takes artefacts from the Malign Sorcery book. Never take as your first pick though as we have better options.

Argent Armour: Another Aura of Dark Majesty pick. Nothing like being -2 to hit while riding a Zombie Dragon and stomping on your opponent's units.

Hydroxskin Cloak: Worth considering for Vampire Lords on Nightmare Steeds or Wight Kings on Skeletal Steeds for the ability to fly (especially if your running Deathrattle with Neferata as she can make a unit of Black Knights fly as well). Basically makes your hero into a Hexwraith who still cares about Rending against your armour save. The 3+ for doing mortal wounds is nice though. I'd leave this off the general and take it as a secondary relic pick though.

Rune Blade: Another good secondary relic pick since none of our Command Traits really lend well to increasing a weapon's rend. If you're taking it on a General I'd argue for a Swift Strike build since the higher number of attacks might benefit from the higher rend value.

Crucible of Molten Silver: Not bad as a way to hit a couple of enemy units at the same time, especially a couple of heroes. Worth taking on smaller hero models so you can squeeze into smaller spaces to maximize the effect.

Godwrought Helm: Not bad to stack on your general for an extra 6+ to negate wounds for yourself, but not really a priority pick for me.

Chamonite Darts: Not a bad choice in general, but the short range means you're probably going to take this on your VLoZD (so you can tank the incoming damage back) over other options and we have better options for that model.

Alchemical Chain: Take it versus Death or Tzeentch armies or leave it at home.

Argentine's Tooth: Not a bad choice for any general who needs a 6+ to gain extra attacks or do mortal wounds as this realm doesn't give us any +1 to hit options.

Aqshy
Smouldering Helm: Doing mortal wounds when your roll a 6+ in combat (which is where you'd want this model to be) isn't a bad option, especially since this realm doesn't have a lot of stuff I'd rate highly for the Legion of Blood.

Ignax's Scales: 50/50 chance of negating mortal wounds never hurts, especially if you know you can end up facing a lot of them.

Crown of Flames: Bravery 11 skeletons anyone? Okay, not really a prime first pick, but it could make a good secondary pick if you know you're facing someone else who likes to drop your bravery.

Cleansing Brooch: A weaker version of a Chalice of Blood. I'd probably put this on a Necromancer or Wight King who have less ways to heal themselves than a Vampire Lord does.

Shyish (aka It's good to be home) 
Blade of Endings: Another good Walking Death pick since we'd do an extra 2 mortal wounds for every 6 rolled to hit, plus it's just a nice choice to pick from a realm that fits the army the best.

Banshee Blade: Remember the Terrorghiest Cloak I was talking about? Well imagine doing that in melee everytime your roll a 6+. While not my first choice for a general since it needs you to roll 2d6 and beat their bravery to only do d3 mortal wounds instead of a mortal wound for every point over their bravery we roll, it's still a solid choice.

Ethereal Amulet: Congrats, you're Nighthaunt now. Seriously though, I'd probably stick this on a VLoZD just for the amount of abuse you'd be able to tank since most people will aim weapons with good rend values at such a target.

Sepulchral Plate: Another way to negate wounds on a 6+. Not bad, not great. More of a secondary choice for more defensive character builds in my opinion.

Goblet of Draining: A reasonable choice if you want to try and inflict more mortal wounds on the enemy HERO (especially if you can reliably push mortal wounds onto them so they have taken wounds), but more of a secondary pick.

Ulgu
Miasmitic Blade: Paired with Aura of Dark Majesty for that delicious -2 to be hit in melee (-1 against shooting), otherwise I'm not a big fan.

Spellmirror: Decent for secondary spell protection, but taking casters will always be a better way of shutting down the big stuff you'd use this to help prevent hurting you.

Trickster's Helm: Good pick for an aggressive character when facing magic heavy armies, but I wouldn't put it on your general since this model will likely be targetted pretty heavily.

Blade of Folded Shadows: +1 to hit. Basically your pick for beatstick VL if you run this realm.

Doppelganger Cloak: A good pick for really messing with your opponent if you can ensure you're going second in that combat. Hit multiple units at a time and prevent them from attacking the bearer by attacking last with it to tarpit the opponent while the rest of your army gets work done. Best used if you can ensure you can fight after all the other units you've hit do.

Blade of Secrets: Much like the Trickster's Helm I wouldn't take this on a general just to prevent them from being as heavilly targeted, but it can be a nice way to strip some spells off of an opponent's model. 

Betrayer's Crown: Best used against hordes to up your chances of the unit tearing itself apart. Not a bad choice, just choose your targets appropiately when using it.

Dimensional Blade: Another one I like for Swift Strike-ing VLs. Basically -3 rend is never bad if you pair with a heavy damage weapon and possible extra attacks.

Talisman of the Watcher: Support heroes only. Great for keeping blocks of skeletons and other weak save units alive longer, but not a prime pick for a general unless you're running a Necromancer general.

Hysh
Blade of Symmetry: A prime pick if you're running a Walking Death beatstick. Pair with a high volume of attack weapon to give it some extra damage and potentially do more mortal wounds on ever 6+.

Aetherquartz Brooch: 5+ to regain command points isn't bad, especially since we have a lot of reasons to spend them by the bucket, but I'd take this on a support character over a beatstick one.

Gleaming Blade: Not a bad option as it heals the bearer if it does wounds, but only up to 1 a turn. I'd put this on a Wight King in a Deathrattle army but that's about it.

Lens of Refraction: A decent way to make mortal wounds from spells less of a problem, but basically another support character only pick.

Luminary Rod: Another good pick for a smaller character model who can get into position to unleash. Basically a good support choice.

Mirrored Cuirass: Ignore 1/3 of all mortal wounds and reflect half of the ones you ignore? Not the strongest thing you can take for increasing your damage, but it'll keep your big characters around longer.

---

Now those are just my picks, and even among them there are picks I favor more than others. Anyone else have some picks I missed, or some they rate higher than I do? 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Nice work Fulkes.  Lots of analysis there.

It was an interesting read for me because I have a strong bias toward defensive and/or tactical Command Traits and Artifacts (Aura, Blur, Amulet, Dopplegagner...), and haven't really spent time analyzing the offensive ones to the extent that you have.  Part of that is because of my assumption that since CTs and Artefacts only effect the hero's attacks, and not the mount's, that the output really isn't there.  Your post got me thinking.

So I whipped up some math using a VLoZD base.  I considered both Walking Death and Swift Strikes, and Ghyrstrike.  Now this is straight averages math, and obviously variance exists, but it's better than nothing.  Format is average damage throughput against 3+/4+/5+/6+ saves:

• VLoZD with Favored Retainers (Baseline):  8/10/12/14
  • VLoZD with FR and Walking Death:  10/13/15/17
  • VLoZD with FR and Swift Strikes:  10/12/15/18
  • VLoZD with FR, WD and Ghyrstrike:  11/14/16/19
  • VLoZD with FR, SS and Ghyrstrike:  11/14/18/21

Long story short:

• Walking Death gives 2/3/3/3 extra damage
  • Swift Strikes gives 2/2/3/4 extra damage
  • Adding Ghyrstrike to Walking Death gives another 1/1/1/2 damage
  • Adding Ghyrstrike to Swift Death gives another 1/2/3/3 damage

Most of the offensive relics only buff one weapon, but I feel they're still worth looking at if you want to try and leverage more beatsticking out of your general. Especially since all of our Vampire Lords get an extra attack over other legions. Defensive wise I really like the ability to stack more to hit penalties on my opponent by pairing with Aura of Dark Majesty though so that's worth a chuckle.

And on a different note, I had some extra bits from the starting Skeletons box so I made a Wight King:

LXqXDJo.png

Any recommendations for a good choice of steed for him?

I have a very similar conversion in my hobby queue coming up!  I was thinking of using the Knight of Shrouds steed.  I haven't gotten around to fitting parts yet, so haven't sized or eyeballed.  But it is literally what I'll  be working on in a few weeks.  Please let me know what you try out and which way you take it.  It looks great!

• Like 1

Just now, Lemon Knuckles said:

I have a very similar conversion in my hobby queue coming up!  I was thinking of using the Knight of Shrouds steed.  I haven't gotten around to fitting parts yet, so haven't sized or eyeballed.  But it is literally what I'll  be working on in a few weeks.  Please let me know what you try out and which way you take it.  It looks great!

I was eyeing the KoS steed as well, but wasn't completely sure how well it'd fit hence the asking. 

For my conversion I took Mannfred's body and cape, a hexwraith arm and head, a black knight arm (the two arms paired together get the same size as the other arm so look more proportional), Mannfred's sword, Akham's staff arm and a black knight shield to round it all out. It wasn't a hard conversion, just a bit fiddly to work it all out.

Like I've said, if I have extra parts I'm going to use them. :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What you think about that 1500 points list?  I have 50 points left to buy a CP or I can add  10 more skeleton.

Allegiance: Legion of Blood
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears

Units
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)

18 minutes ago, pikachoux said:

What you think about that 1500 points list?  I have 50 points left to buy a CP or I can add  10 more skeleton.

Allegiance: Legion of Blood
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spears

Units
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)

you need more bodies! buff the chainrasp, grimghast or skeletons horde to max!

minimum size units are too easy to destroy so are not used as front line.

Also I would only take the guardian of souls with a max size unit of ghost to buff. With small sizes they will crumble before he can heal them and giving +1 to wound to 10 reapers isn't that scary. replace him for a normal vampire lord.

Also, Morghast are better in Grand host lists. I know you want to maximise the bravery bomb, but against a lot of armies this strategy don't work. I would remove them to boost the hordes!

• Like 1

Is the guardian part of LoN or an ally? I can see what you’re aiming at, but I think Cursed is right, needs more garlic XD

If you switch him for a vamp, throw out the reapers to max out your battleline...and after considerations you’re missing a third unit *shock* maybe some puppies.

I don’t want to sound rude, but what’s your plan for the list, and why are you going LoBlood?! Why not Sacrament or Night?

The strength of blood is bravery debuff or vampire attacks, none of that is really included in your list... 

Ambush from the vampirelord and the harbringers together with a bunch of wolves for late game objective grabbing 

Scrament kinda bland, but +1 to cast maybe no vamp but a second necro...

grand host needs a second morghast unit... but your units regen even better.

now back to blood...

for a bravery bomb, i‘ll suggest some 2x5 black knights, 2x5 wolves for battleline 40 skellis, the morghast maybe switch the guardian for a banshee, necro dragonlord, the ladies just don’t get any love anymore, no wonder they are kinda...

stabby stabstab: dragonlord, necro, vamp, 2x5 wolves 20 skellis, 2x5 BLOOOOOD KNIGHTS, sadly not really optimal (20 skellis) but at 1450 with extra cp for the vamp ca (+1attack). Maybe 10/5/5/5 wolves without skellis... highly mobile and buffed knights(maybe in a big unit) will punch face.

Thank you for the tips, I will try to explain my plan.

1- The main goal is to buff the killing power of the zombie dragon. The LoB is great for that with the +1 attack and the Aura of Dark Majesty. The fear bomb is cool but I did not pick the LoB for that. Sacrement is very good with Arkhan. I dont think i can put Arkhan and a vampire on zombie dragon at 1750 points.

2- I like the idea of a vampire lord instead of the Guardian of soul. What extra spell should I take?

3- I might delete the reapers and add 5 dogs and 10 chain rasp

4- The morghasts are in the list to bring rend and kill heavy armored troops likes dragon ogres

5- The tournament is now at 1750 so I have 300 points left. I think to add 5 more dogs and 5 blood knights or 6 spirit hosts.

• Haha 1

1: yes, it boosts your lord. The aura is pretty good for a melee beast. He will stick around, dishing it out. But that is just one model and ~1/4 of your army, maybe the other legions bring more benefits. If you’re playing against low moral armies LoB also kills. So if you feel good with that, go ahead!

2. Transference on the small lord, riding with the morghast. Big guy gets pinions... with his artifact and his ability he is supposed to be crazy fast and regenerat through killing stuff... or drinking from the chalice. The other one should heal the morghast, if need arises...

4. try them, they are not really worth the points, and quite fragile, but draw attention from your general or the objectives and with a mighty charge can dish out some pain.

5. Show them suckers some love!!! if you’re feeling fluffy, blood Knights are nice to field and with a good charge really kick some butts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hoping to get some feedback on my list as I take it to 1500 points. I just play fun games at my local gw so it doesn't have to be super effective and some choices are purely thematic but if I'm making any really stupid mistakes please let me know!

So I have been playing 1000 pts games so far and have only played two games with the new legions of nagash book. I went with Legion of blood because it fits with my Lahmian vampires, plus I like the bravery mechanic. I enjoy the carryover from old-school vampire counts of lots of keep heroes spread around my army with big units of skeletons and ghosts. Anyway here is my idea for 1500 points, it builds on my existing list which are the units in bold. 

Vampire with wings, General, Walking Death

Vampire on Nightmare, Orb of Enchantment

Banshee (was a wraith in the 1000 list)

Necromancer, Overwhelming Dread

40x Skeletons warriors 

5 Dire wolves

5 Dire wolves

10x Chainrasps

6 Spirit Hosts

10 Black Knights.

So the plan is to pair the winged vampire with the spirit hosts because walking death gives her the same mortal wounds on a 6 as them so I was going to paint her slightly ethereal so they match, plus she can fly so can keep pace with them easily. She can give them an extra attack too which means they should be able to handle pretty much anything together.

The other vampire gets to go with the Black Knights. The idea here is to find the biggest, meanest enemy hero and get a first turn charge with vanhels and the +1 attack from the vampire. So hopefully each knight can put out 6 attacks on the charge and with her orb of enchantment, he won't be able to attack back between the two attacks. 

The Banshee would hang out with the skeletons and necro to use that -2 to -3 bravery modifier to do some scream damage. 

The chainrasps are a home objective holder and the wolves are screen units. 

It leaves me with an extra 20 points I'm not sure what to do with. I would like to find an extra 20 to take an endless spell, maybe gnashing jaws for that extra bravery debuff, but I'm not sure where to get it. I could swap the chainrasps with wolves, but their movement would be wasted, plus I don't really want to buy and paint another 5 wolves when the chainrasps would be much more exciting. Or I could turn the mounted vampire into a wight King but that seems silly to loose out on her extra attacks from the legion of blood abilities. 

Anyway let me know what you think, any little tweaks or suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers