AoS 2 - Legion of Blood Discussion

RuneBrush

46 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

To move away just a tad further from Legion of Blood - I'm keen on new Aelves. Apart from this, I did a heavy conversion on some Dragon Blades I really adore, is why I needed 5 more of them now that they'll not be available for much longer. 

Well, you can conversion dark riders or chaos knights with little more effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just found this forum. Thought I'd post my LoB list. I'm part of a local campaign that increases in points every 4 weeks. We play every other Friday, so we started at 500, then went to 750, now we're at 1000.

Allegiance: Legion of Blood

LEADERS

Neferata Mortarch of Blood (380) - General

- Lore of the Dead : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)

Vampire Lord (140) - Flying Horror

- Artefact : Orb of Enchantment

- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference

UNITS

5 x Blood Knights (200)

5 x Dire Wolves (70)

5 x Dire Wolves (70)

1 x Corpse Cart (80) - Unholy Lodestone

TOTAL: 990/1000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 57

LEADERS: 2/4

BATTLELINES: 2 (2+)

BEHEMOTHS: 1/2

ARTILLERY: 0/2

ARTEFACTS: 1/1

ALLIES: 0/200

I'd like to get Dark Mist and Blood Feast on the Blood Knights. Lots of -1 to hit abilities. Thought about giving Spirit Gale to the Vamp Lord for even more. Any thoughts or recommendations? 

Edited by KK9T

On 8/22/2019 at 7:21 PM, KK9T said:

Hi guys, just found this forum. Thought I'd post my LoB list. I'm part of a local campaign that increases in points every 4 weeks. We play every other Friday, so we started at 500, then went to 750, now we're at 1000.

I'd like to get Dark Mist and Blood Feast on the Blood Knights. Lots of -1 to hit abilities. Thought about giving Spirit Gale to the Vamp Lord for even more. Any thoughts or recommendations? 

I think it could work, but what you will find is that the Blood Knights will be focused hard and if they get wiped in that 1k list you're basically left with a handful of Dire Wolves that aren't super great. Five man units of Dire Wolves is not going to wipe anything quickly, they're primarily good for objectives / being a screen. Which means you're left with Neferata to do heavy lifting, however she can be taken down somewhat easily. I play a lot of 1k armies and here is what has worked very well for me.

Leaders:

Vampire Lord (140) - Flying Horror

-Artifact: Ethereal Amulet

-Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference 

-Command Trait: Walking Death (for D3 mortal wounds on 6's!)

Necromancer (130)

-Overwhelming Dread

Cairn Wraith (60)

Units:

Blood Knights x5 (200)

Dire Wolves x5 (70)

Dire Wolves x5 (70)

Skeleton Warriors x40 (280)

Other

Command Point or Aethervoid Pendulum

The idea is that you have  your Skeleton Warriors push up the main part of the board with the Necromancer supporting them. Blood Knights and Vampire Lord shadow them to provide counter charging. The Vampire Lord with the Etherial Amulet is reasonably tanky and then will be doing D3 mortal wounds on 6's with the Walking Death command trait, so he and the Blood Knights can really put the hurt on things. The Cairn Wraith supports a unit of Dire Wolves sitting on an objective (Cairn Wraith providing Deathless 6+ save),  the other unit of Dire Wolves pushes the other side of the board seeking objectives OR tying up a unit in combat for your Skeleton Warriors or Blood Knights to hit. My last game the Aethervoid Pendulum really helped put wounds on a tightly packed group of Nighthaunt.

I have ran two 5 man units of Blood Knights before in 1k but they become a primary focus and once they're taken out I lose a lot of my killing power. By having a 40 man Skeleton blob supported with a Necromancer that can put Vanhel's Danse Macabre on them, forces your opponent to take them as a serious threat. Plus you could also put the Vampire Lords Blood Feast on them for more killing power. Now all of a sudden that becomes a huge threat allowing the Blood Knights to flank and hit Hero's or another vital target.

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on the Coven Throne in Legion of Blood?  Not overly amazed by the model and transporting it would be a pain so I always avoided it, however it does seem to be a fairly decent support hero for a Blood Legion force and I am tempted.  Has anyone run it in Legion of Blood and if so, how did you find it?

16 hours ago, Death1942 said:

however it does seem to be a fairly decent support hero

Only in other Legions (Sacrament-Night) and in Soulblight... but I love it.

Fast, good hp, nice spell, great CA, pretty cheap and lifetime reroll if only the direct intervention of our mighty lord might save us.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, Death1942 said:

Thoughts on the Coven Throne in Legion of Blood?  Not overly amazed by the model and transporting it would be a pain so I always avoided it, however it does seem to be a fairly decent support hero for a Blood Legion force and I am tempted.  Has anyone run it in Legion of Blood and if so, how did you find it?

I'm building a 2k list with a VLoZD & a Coven Throne. Like you said, it's really more for support.

• 2 weeks later...

WASSUP SUCKERS (got it? eh? yeah, you got it)
Tonight im going to roll a meeting engagement and i decided to use my thrusty Legion of Blood. I ended up with the following army and im quite happy with the look of it:

LEGION OF BLOOD MEETING ENGAGEMENT ARMY #2 (realm of life)

SPEARHEAD

5x Bloodknights 200pts

5x Bloodknights 200pts

MAIN BODY
Vampire Lord 140pts
Warlord, Command Trait: Swift Strikes, Artifact of Power: Ghyrstrike, Lore of Vampires: Amaranthine Orb, Flying Horror, Chalice of Blood

Necromancer 130pts
Lore of the Dead: Overwhelming Dread

20x Skeleton Warriors 160pts
Ancient Blades

REARGUARD
10x Direwolves 140pts

ENDLESS SPELL
Prismatic Palisade 30pts

TOT: 1000pts

So what do you guys think? Much of the focus is on the spearhead since in most scenarios it will come in in turn 0 or 1, the army is mostly fast for obj nabbing and the skellies should be sturdy enough to hold the center with some support from graves, the necromancer spell and some healing.
I kitted out the lord to be a melee monster since i did not feel like having him be a tank would have been of mutch use

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 1

I've been having a hard time coming up with ME lists for LOB because of how much of a drop in power it is for skellies at such small numbers. Perhaps chainrasps would be better,  because they can reroll ones to wound, immune to rend, and can still be activated for Van Hels?  

I won an ME last week with the following list: 

Spearhead 

Vamplord, flying horror, ameythstine pinions 

dire wolves 5x

MAin body:

Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon,  Aura of Dark Majesty, Ethereal Amulets, Pinions

Skeletons 10x

Dire wolves 5x

Rearguard:

5x blood knights 

13 hours ago, ColsBols said:

I've been having a hard time coming up with ME lists for LOB because of how much of a drop in power it is for skellies at such small numbers. Perhaps chainrasps would be better,  because they can reroll ones to wound, immune to rend, and can still be activated for Van Hels?  

DANG IT, i totally forgot about chainrasps. Next time imma bring them intstead of skeletons

Anyway, i won the battle even though it was REALLY hard fought. Here it goes:
I have the list i posted, the enemy is maggotkin nurgle with a spearhead of 20 plague monks and 5 blightkings, a main body of 10 blightkings and an harbringer of decay and a spearhead of 20 monks and a sorcerer.
We roll the mission and get the Blitz, so my spearhead is going to come in last... just great.  He wins the roll and have me start.

TURN 1
is pretty boring for both of us and we just take the objs. The VL darts towards his obj withouth the BKs. BUT his damn tree rolls the cicle that does the mortal wounds and i loose 3 skeletons... dang it. He scores 2 points for the kills already and we both get 1 for the objs. Our rearguards come on the othe objectives. 

TURN 2
I get to start  and i put my wolves in a chockepoint on the obj to not make his BK wipe the unit in a turn. My necromancer is just short of the big group of BKs and cant cast overwhelming dread (dang it) so i put the prismatic palisade in front of his unit hoping to stop them from charging the wolves but, spoiler allert, it wont do jack  all game long. I charge his plague monks with the vampire lord and kill 14 OF THEM. Although he put the sorcerer just right to use the CA to not make them run, so he still got the obj, dang it. The Blood knights come in and i split them in both table sides. 
He goes then,  and the cicle of nurgle is the speedy one, so hiis blob of BKs charges 15 INCHES and gets my doggos but thanks to the chokepoint only 5 fatties get to fight, killing all but 3 dogs and steal my obj. The sorcerer also puts 3MW on the VL but Lord Vortiger has none of that, kills the remaining monks and starts looking the sorcerer in a mean way. His spearhead comes in and puts his BK very close to one of my blood knights while getting his other obj. He scores 3 points for objs and i score 2 for the kills (thank you plague monks).

TURN 3
He gets double turn, DANG IT. He summon 10 plaguebearers on the obj with the VL on it and moves his guys to get a good charge. His BKs charge my bloodknights, and the plaguebearers get a 11" charge and pile in on the VL. The 5 BK manage to kill a blood knight and i kill one in return (bloodknights in LoB are very killy even when not charging) wounding another, his big blob kills all the wolves, the VL get knocked to 1 wound left but murders 6 plaguebeaerers in return. All in all it could have been a lot worse if he killed all my wolves the turn before. 
Now it is my moment. The necromancer succesfully castshis spell on the 10 BK, the VL summons the wolves from the grave close to the obj. I charge his big blob of BK with my other knights and manage to kill 3 (if he rolled a 2+ on the battleshock he would have lost more at this point but he obviously rolls a 1) loosing NONE in return, the other  knights tank the hits and kill another BK. The VL murders more plaguebearers and downs his chalice getting to full wounds. 
He scores 3 points for the objs and i get 2 for the kills. 

TURN 4 
He goes first and tries to get my obj but without mutch succes. The fight goes on and he loses 2 more BKs  in the big blob and 1 in the small group, the plaguebearers and sorcerer cant kill the vampire, i lose nothing. 
I go and kill 2 more BKs in the blob, he rolls a 6 on battleshck and the rest runs, i get that obj. The wolves charge the plaguebeaerers and the sorcerer, skewering them alongside the vampire, i get that obj too. My other bloodknights kill the only BK remaining. 
I score 5 point for obj and kills. 

the game ends with a score of 10-9 and i get a minor victory but a really tasty one nonethless.

Overwhelming dread truly is blightking's bane and bloodknights are just juicy as hell in LoB now. Not only are they absolute monsters but if the enemy has no rend they are hard as nails, love them

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greetings noble knights, and i apologize for the spamming but im in a quite busy playing period and my mind rebels at stagnation. Give me blood knights, give me an army to build, give me the most abstruse bravery bomb or the most intricate battle formation, and I am in my own proper atmosphere.
So i came up with a 2000pts bravery bombish vampire heavy list, enjoy and grant me some sweet juicy feedback

LEGIONS OF NAGASH: LEGION OF BLOOD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEADERS

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon 440pts
Vampiric Sword, Bloodshield, Blood Chalice
General: Walking Death, Artifact: Ethereal Amulet
Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Necromancer 130pts
Lore of the Dead: Overwhelming Dread

BATTLELINE
5x Direwolves 70pts

5x Direwolves 70pts

30x Chainrasp Horde 240pts

UNITS 
10x Bloodknights 400pts

10x Bloodknights 400pts

BEHEMOTHS
Mortis Engine 180pts

ENDLESS SPELLS
Horrorghast 60pts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOT 1990pts

Well then, i think the point of the army is quite clear. Mortis engine yells, Bloodknights smash, people run, there is mutch rejoicing. All the wile some bad ****** is caused by the dragon lord and the other guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question: in the army i posted do you belive it would be better to put on the dragon the aristocracy of blood trait instead of walking death? I ask because yesterday i failed a 3" charge with the dragon that costed me the game.
Also Im sorry, it seems that is only i who posts on this thread xD

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

45 minutes ago, Honk said:

It is kinda sad, but switching that out vs saving a CP for a charge reroll...

on the other hand it would also help out a unit of knights which might be next to your dragon, if you’re murderballing

i usually partake in the murderball yes. Since i tend to roll 2x10 bloodknights almost always i wonder if aristocracy of blood would be better than walking death. Is the classic trait that is useless untill you really need it.
Im even tempted to try neferata

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

What's a murderball? 

Bundeling up your forces into one devastating mob, instead of spreading them out.

4 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Im even tempted to try neferata

Manni also works great with knights. But concerning staying power the dragonlord with amulet is best.

ever thought about a coven throne and another batch of vargheist?! The CA buffs knights and bats pretty good

26 minutes ago, Honk said:

Bundeling up your forces into one devastating mob, instead of spreading them out.

Manni also works great with knights. But concerning staying power the dragonlord with amulet is best.

ever thought about a coven throne and another batch of vargheist?! The CA buffs knights and bats pretty good

Wasn't this called a Deathstar? Murderball sounds awesome, though ❤️

I'm keen on trying Neferata, a VLoZD and Vhordrai with a Penumbral Engine and Kurdoss Valentian. Still cheaper than the Palanquin and the Batallion and an average 0.83 CP per round for stacking Neferata's CA or, if one's really lucky with the Engine and Kurdoss, using Vhordrai's CA, too. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

2x10 Knights is BRAVE.

I use 3x5 and still struggle to get them all in striking range on terrain heavy (read: correct) boards!

I usually manage to get them where needed without too many problems, i tend to use a pseudo lance formation that allow some better manouvering when in a terrain heavy zone, usually like this
Then put them in a larger formation just before charging. 7 charging LoB knights are more than often enought to destroy everything, expecially if buffed by the dragon (rerolling to hit is better than +1 attack on 4+ attacks models)
Maybe im just lucky but i find it rather reasonable

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Uhm, you mean running neferata and mannfred... it sound quite fun actually and would make the knights rather nasty. The throne is nice but i find is quite a bit costly for what it provides so im not too keen on bringing it along. Vargheists? Are you sure? They look a bit sub par in LoB compared to knights

4 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Are you sure?

Of course not!!!

two Mortarchs are a bit too crazy, but both bring pretty nice buffs to the table. For 280 points I like the throne quite much, the CA, the spell and the crazy reroll

i really liked the vargheists, they hit pretty hard and are fast as fudge, but that was soulblight... in lob knights with the extra attack are better

Edited by Honk

On 9/28/2019 at 12:18 AM, Honk said:

Of course not!!!

two Mortarchs are a bit too crazy, but both bring pretty nice buffs to the table. For 280 points I like the throne quite much, the CA, the spell and the crazy reroll

i really liked the vargheists, they hit pretty hard and are fast as fudge, but that was soulblight... in lob knights with the extra attack are better

yeah that was pretty mutch my worrying point. I always use 6 vargheist in my soulblight army btw.
Anywho, i shall try the aristocracy of blood trait on the same list (i posted it already) in place of walking death since i noticed that without something like gyrstrike it only adds 1,3 wounds to the total

Hi all.

I just recently finished getting my Soulblight army finished. I took it to a smaller GT and did pretty well with a list containing 6 Vampire Lords, a Corpse Cart, 20 Blood Knights, and a load of endless spells. 

The more I've been playing with and looking at the army the more I think Legion of Blood is probably the more competitive choice. Particularly because of the +1 attack Blood Knights. It looses out really only in the case of the +2" move and fly bloodline, and the battleline status for Duality of Death. I'm thinking though that having gravesites to allow me a screen of little dudes to absorb charges and keep the blood knights from being charged, then summoning them again for objectives after they are wiped out is better. 

This is what I'm looking at right now:

Realm (Undecided)

Legion of Blood 

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon

- Artifact (Undecided, Ethereal? Ghyrstrike?)

-Vile Transference

Vampire Lord on Nightmare

-General (for safer summoning... Dragon instead?

-Aristocracy of Blood (either way)

-Vile Transference

10 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Blood Knights

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

10 Chainrasps

2000/2000

• LOVE IT! 1

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I usually play against Nighthaunt or Stormcast, but will be checking out my local scene in the near future to add some variety to the factions I play against.

Realm: Shyish

Legion of Blood

General: Vampire Lord (with wings),

-Aristocracy of Blood

-Amethystine Pinions

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon

-Ethereal Amulet

-Vile Transference

Coven Throne

-Soul Pike

Necromancer

-Fading Vigour

Blood Knights x10

Chainrasp Horde x20

Chainrasp Horde x40

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Aethervoid Pendulum

2000/2000

84 bodies, 146 total wounds.

The 40 Chainrasp can be subbed out for 40 Skeletons, but I usually use the 40 man blob to soak up damage and board control, so with that I find that Chainrasp are better, also a little bit more maneuverable. The Necromancer supports the 40 man blob, Five Dire Wolves screen for the ten man unit of Blood Knights which is in range to recieve the Command Ability from the Coven Throne.  Depending on what my opponent does, the Coven Throne can be close support. If that is the case then my General (Vampre Lord with Wings) will provide reroll to charges with his Command Trait. I made the normal Vampire Lord my General so he can break off and summon units at the Grave Sites if need be. The other five man unit of Dire Wolves are for objectives or flanking. The VLoZD does his own thing and depending on the type of game is also supported by 20 Chainrasp Horde. Finally I took the Pendulum for some mortal wound generation and it's a fairly safe endless spell that shouldn't come back to bite me unless I position myself poorly.

Anyways, I don't really have experiance playing against other armies aside from Nighthaunt and Stormcast, so I'm not sure how it will work. I've tried to figure out a Battillion to use to lower my drops (since this has 9 total drops), but I just cannot fit anything good. If Court of Nulahmia had a Coven Throne instead of a Bloodseeker Palanquin I think it would be a lot better. I've considered making a list with Castellans of the Crimson Keep, but I really like being able to give the Ethereal Amulet to the VLoZD..