AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 1/23/2019 at 2:46 PM, Enoby said:

Now that you mention it, has this ever been done to any form of success? Maybe chariots don't like me, but mind have never performed.  

I was a huge fan of an Exalted with a BSB in 8th as well as spamming BoC ones in 8th.  However,.. I do keep thinking "man I wish we had more impact hits than,.. a single on a 4+ or even a few on a 4+".  

Chariots and Cavalry are weird this edition/game. Not useless just,.. single use unique. 

4 hours ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Sure, but I think the argument is that intent can change, and if they release a subsequently-published thingy that doesn't have the change they wanted laid out, does that obviate the older intent from a previously published thingy?

I don't know. I haven't been counting mortal wounds, but it's curious.

It's just insane that they ruled it that way in the first place tbh...super confusing. And you are correct, the sheer paper trail of trying to track down what the current intent/valid ruling is makes it VERY hard for a veteran player to keep up. Now imagine being a new player...

The FAQs/Erratas/DCs are a good step in the right direction for GW (especially compared to historically), but they really need to work on having ONE consistently maintained rules source document. Like, soon. But who am I kidding, that would obliterate the need for us to keep buying books every couple of months...lol.

Edited by exliontamer
sp

so noticed there was a faq for wrath and rapture.

Q: Can you provide an example of how depravity points are earned?

A: Certainly. In the combat phase, a Keeper of Secrets inflicts 10 wounds on a unit of Liberators. The Liberators each have a Wounds characteristic of 2, so the first wound inflicted on each Liberator generates 1 depravity point (the second wound allocated to each Liberator does not generate a depravity point, as the model is slain). This means that the wounds inflicted by the Keeper of Secrets generate 5 depravity points in total. Remember that a wound only counts as being inflicted on a model if it is allocated to the model and not negated.

It literally is the example from GHB...

1 minute ago, carnith said:

so noticed there was a faq for wrath and rapture.

Q: Can you provide an example of how depravity points are earned?

A: Certainly. In the combat phase, a Keeper of Secrets inflicts 10 wounds on a unit of Liberators. The Liberators each have a Wounds characteristic of 2, so the first wound inflicted on each Liberator generates 1 depravity point (the second wound allocated to each Liberator does not generate a depravity point, as the model is slain). This means that the wounds inflicted by the Keeper of Secrets generate 5 depravity points in total. Remember that a wound only counts as being inflicted on a model if it is allocated to the model and not negated.

It literally is the example from GHB...

To take a guess, I reckon they have written this for new AOS players who don't yet have the GHB. 

Hey all,

I've been interested in trying hosts of slaanesh, wanted to try some stuff out before committing to buying models and mostly still using stuff from my slaves to darkness army but i'm not sure which host to go with. My local group is fairly casual and is fine with proxy models being used for list experimentation so here's my list i've made with what i can reasonably proxy:

Lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount (general, enrapturing, allure of slaanesh, since it's a 60mm base i'll probs use a terminator sorcerer or vargheist from my death army until i can get around to kitbashing one that isn't a hunk of metal)

keeper of secrets (proxied using terminator lord from my emps children army)

masque of slaanesh 

herald on exalted chariot (proxied using chaos chariot)

belakor(ally)

Lord of chaos

3 X 10 warriors w/shields

2 X 5 hellstriders (proxied using chaos knights)

I also have been considering taking a warshrine or marauder horsemen, i also have marauders my friends wouldn't mind me using for daemonettes. Any thoughts on what changes and host would work best? I'd also like some clarification on invaders rules i'm not sure i quite follow what it means. From what I can tell the only command abilities invaders would be relevant for is the 3 from the core rules?

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes

1 hour ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Hey all,

I've been interested in trying hosts of slaanesh, wanted to try some stuff out before committing to buying models and mostly still using stuff from my slaves to darkness army but i'm not sure which host to go with. My local group is fairly casual and is fine with proxy models being used for list experimentation so here's my list i've made with what i can reasonably proxy:

Lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount (general, enrapturing, allure of slaanesh, since it's a 60mm base i'll probs use a terminator sorcerer or vargheist from my death army until i can get around to kitbashing one that isn't a hunk of metal)

masque of slaanesh 

belakor(ally)

Lord of chaos

I also have been considering taking a warshrine or marauder horsemen, i also have marauders my friends wouldn't mind me using for daemonettes. Any thoughts on what changes and host would work best? I'd also like some clarification on invaders rules i'm not sure i quite follow what it means. From what I can tell the only command abilities invaders would be relevant for is the 3 from the core rules?

Two quick things. The keeper of secrets is on a 60mm base, so you may need something bigger than a terminator lord. Also, much to my disappointment, Be'Lakor is not a legal ally for Slaanesh. Attached is the ally list for Slaanesh.

With AoS 2.0 invaders doesn't actually do anything as it's currently written, so I wouldnt worry about them. 

Daemonettes are amazing, I'd try to fit some of those in your list of you can. Groups of 30 are best. And honestly, chaos knights are pretty good in their own right, especially if you're going to take a slaanesh lord on a mount. I haven't taken marauder horsemen myself, but I think hellstriders fill a similar role. 

Screenshot_20190130-235959_Chrome.jpg

12 minutes ago, LordRogalDorn said:

Two quick things. The keeper of secrets is on a 60mm base, so you may need something bigger than a terminator lord. Also, much to my disappointment, Be'Lakor is not a legal ally for Slaanesh. Attached is the ally list for Slaanesh.

With AoS 2.0 invaders doesn't actually do anything as it's currently written, so I wouldnt worry about them. 

Daemonettes are amazing, I'd try to fit some of those in your list of you can. Groups of 30 are best. And honestly, chaos knights are pretty good in their own right, especially if you're going to take a slaanesh lord on a mount. I haven't taken marauder horsemen myself, but I think hellstriders fill a similar role. 

Screenshot_20190130-235959_Chrome.jpg

I suppose i can use my tau battlesuits or vargheists, they have 60mm bases (size up from terms which i believe is 60 anyways), i could run knights and use marauder horsemen for hellstriders, i've got a few horsemen lying around somewhere. I guess if i have to drop belakor i could proxy him as a daemon prince and see about fitting in that warshrine for more consistent charging and some survivability, Now for the real important question: Seekers for the long distance rush and charge or stack my units and go for pretenders for a swol lord?

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes

11 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Hey all,

masque of slaanesh 

belakor(ally)

Lord of chaos

As told before, drop invaders, take literally any of the other two. A good model to use for a keeper of secrets is the daemon prince. It comes on a 60mm, so the size is al ready there, and you can modify the wings to make them claws so that they look like the extra pair of arms the Keeper has. 

Also chaos chariot comes on a larger base. My friend gifted me a chaos chariot and the base looks smaller, just double check. 

Played against Gloomspite and the 6 fiends were the stars of the show, taking out an Arachnarok Spider, Loonboss on Mangler Squigs, dragged a block of 40 stabba grots buffed with the loonboss off away from objectives and were brought down, but by then I could summon 3 back in a more favourable position! Summoned a couple of Infernal Enrapturess' which sniped off half the Gobbapalooza (one dying to the Discordant Disruption). Made a bunch of mistakes and forgot a load of rules but it was enjoyable. I did order some movement trays before the game was finished for my daemonettes though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carnith said:

As told before, drop invaders, take literally any of the other two. A good model to use for a keeper of secrets is the daemon prince. It comes on a 60mm, so the size is al ready there, and you can modify the wings to make them claws so that they look like the extra pair of arms the Keeper has. 

Also chaos chariot comes on a larger base. My friend gifted me a chaos chariot and the base looks smaller, just double check. 

The GW base size chart lists both slaves and hosts chariots as using 120X92 bases so i'm fine there, might slaaneshify my chariot if i end up liking hosts as an army. I'd like to use my daemon prince since it being able to interupt pile ins seems pretty useful. I'm really not a fan of the official keeper and have yet to justify spending the money on the forge world exalted keeper (but damn are FW greater daemons awesome looking) so i'll probably see if i can kitbash something once i get around to getting a slaanesh daemons box or two.

• Like 1

I present to all for you... THE EXALTED KEEPER OF SECRETS! I've been working on her for 2 weeks. It was a gift from a friend, and when i noticed terrible mold slips and bad job, my GW store owner notified me it's actually China-cast, but being the nice guy that he was, he taught me what I needed to do to paint it, and work with it. The hair is green stuffed by me, the armys had to be pinned and greenstuffed at the joined, the sword is warped and I tried pretty hard to get it as straight as I could, the base is random elf bits and a freebie stormcast painted up in what will be my stormcast colors. I meant for her to have icy blue claws to match the sword, but the claws broke while trying to put them on, so I went with her having an icy touch. 

EKOS1.jpg

EKOS2.jpg

EKOS3.jpg

• Like 3

I had another game with my 1000pts Slaanesh list against goblins.

I took:

-1 Exalted keeper

• General 

• Devotee of torment

• Dimensional Blade 

- 5 Hellstriders  

- 5 Hellstriders 

- 6 Fiends 

They took:

- 1 Mangler Squig with Loonboss

• General

• Fight another day

• Artefact that gave -1 to hit 

- 1 Fungoid cave shaman 

- 1 Mangler squig without Loonboss 

- 20 goblins with bows 

- 5 squigs 

- Mork's Mighty Mushroom 

- Scuttletide

- Chronomatic Cogs 

We played shifting objectives.

He went first, the main objective started closest to his manglers. He moved both up onto it (which he agreed was a mistake in hindsight), and he claimed the rest of the objectives with the goblins and squigs.   

I charged my six fiends into the mangler with loonboss, and hung out of 6" of the other mangler with my exalted keeper. The hellstriders hung around either side. I decided that it was better to be bold and miss out on the other objectives in lieu of killing two manglers and capturing the main objective. The fiends killed the mangler with boss in one pile in (doing over 20 damage with their tails), and one of them scratched at the normal mangler on the second pile in. The second mangler attacked the fiends, but thanks to the -2 to hit, -1 to wound it only did one damage. The exalted keeper piled in and finished it off.

I got second turn, the main objective stayed still, and it was pretty much over. The hellstriders sat on the objective, I summoned an infernal enrapturess, and the fiends went into the goblins and shaman (killing them). By this point I had seven victory points to my opponent's four, and he only had 5 squigs left. He conceded.

I really like fiends, and would want to try a speedy army with 12 of them (two units of six) backed up by some Hellstriders.  Even against hordes they seem to hit like a truck, but they are amazing against anything bigger (we had a doubles game after where they were charged by a colossal squig and a mangler with loonboss, and only just died after killing the colossal and taking 3 wounds from the mangler). 

I think the biggest hint is the guy in this picture, the third one. 

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShareNEW41yve.jpg

Also as I said in the rumour thread. 

I think slaanesh will be mixed up in the new AOS expansion, if we look in the top 5 things to look out for this year GW notes new endless spells, slaanesh and the expansion for AOS. I suspect we will get a tease of slaanesh around valentine's day, GW won't miss that. They even used it to reveal Morathi. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/01/1st-dec-the-top-5-things-to-look-forward-to-in-2019gw-homepage-post-3/

Edited by shinros

Yeah...I dunno. I think it's weak as hell that Khorne is getting a second battletome before Slaanesh even gets its first. (I feel the same way about Flesh-Eater Courts...which they claim is a "fan favorite" yet I have never seen a single person in my LGS field...) I know Slaanesh releases have all but been confirmed for 2019, but you think they'd throw us a little bone with a sneak peak, even it it was a cropped image. (They must know we are masochists...) ;)

Outside of that I am kind of curious about Warcry...I wonder if it could be an attempt at an AOS-set Mordheim? They say it mixes stuff from Underworlds and Kill Team...

But overall I am disappointed that the only thing remotely Slaaneshy in any of these previews was this:

Untitled.png

Edited by exliontamer

Hopefully it's because Khorne are just getting the BT, Endless not-spells and a single infantry sized model as far as we know. Hopefully we'll get at least a brand new Keeper of Secrets, Endless Spells, Terrain piece, BT, possibly a new Masque and maybe some more mortal units if we're lucky.

I’m rather annoyed at khornes third book before our first one. I know our day will come but I’m still annoyed. They nearly have as many books as stormcast. I know whatever we get will be fine and I’ll continue to be a strong player even without a tome.