AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 8/14/2018 at 5:42 AM, Cyanid32600 said:

looking to add a Cygor into my Slaanesh list anyone had experience of this? any good?

I dabbled with on in v1 in my Warherd and he died.  I used him a bit more and he died.  I guess chucking rocks is kinda cool in his realm, maybe like the kid whose calmly trying to skip rocks at the beach but in game he failed to accomplish anything.  Even with the points drop and 30" unbind I would still rather just have a Great Bray-Shaman.  I would apply that logic to Slaanesh as well.  The Jabberslythe is better when it comes to allying in a Monster of Chaos.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:01 AM, Cyanid32600 said:

true but i don't want to pay £100 odd for it, i kinda like the look of the Cygor too

There was a guy who took the Cygor kit and made an Exalted.  The pictures are blurry and there was a fair bit of green stuff involved but why not just do that?  The original KoS had a bull head, two sword arms and two fists.  That way you kinda get both in the deal and you can decide through your own play testing which suits you better :)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I dabbled with on in v1 in my Warherd and he died.  I used him a bit more and he died.  I guess chucking rocks is kinda cool in his realm, maybe like the kid whose calmly trying to skip rocks at the beach but in game he failed to accomplish anything.  Even with the points drop and 30" unbind I would still rather just have a Great Bray-Shaman.  I would apply that logic to Slaanesh as well.  The Jabberslythe is better when it comes to allying in a Monster of Chaos.

There was a guy who took the Cygor kit and made an Exalted.  The pictures are blurry and there was a fair bit of green stuff involved but why not just do that?  The original KoS had a bull head, two sword arms and two fists.  That way you kinda get both in the deal and you can decide through your own play testing which suits you better :)

thanks for the advice, i did want the cygor to be a project so im happy to do some green stuffing, great idea!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trav said:

what slaanesh artefact is best in people’s opinion?

Not a Slaanesh specific artefact, but there is one from the realm of shadow which gives a -3 rend. Stick it on the claws of a keeper of secrets and it becomes a killing machine. 

11 hours ago, Trav said:

also, would the ghorgon be too big to use as a keeper of secrets? What size base would he need to go on?

The current keeper of secrets is on a 60mm base, so the ghorgon would be too big. However, you may be able to use it as an exalted keeper of secrets, which are very good (one of the few FW models I see used regularly in lists). 

6 hours ago, Trav said:

And what realm artefacts are proving to be good- particularly on a daemon prince or lord on steed of slaanesh?

I'd still suggest the -3 rend one, especially on the sword as he becomes an excellent hero killer then. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Not a Slaanesh specific artefact, but there is one from the realm of shadow which gives a -3 rend. Stick it on the claws of a keeper of secrets and it becomes a killing machine. 

The current keeper of secrets is on a 60mm base, so the ghorgon would be too big. However, you may be able to use it as an exalted keeper of secrets, which are very good (one of the few FW models I see used regularly in lists). 

I'd still suggest the -3 rend one, especially on the sword as he becomes an excellent hero killer then. 

Thanks for that. Yeah -3 rend does sound good, even on the lord on steed as his combat weapon lacks rend. I usually make him -2 to hit and with -3 he might actually cause damage and gain depravity points and hang around for a while

Edited by Trav
Error

Am i right in that mortal wounds caused by my heroes do not generate depravity points but when my characters suffer mortal wounds depravity points are generated?

or do mortal wounds not contribute whatsoever?

thanks!

2 hours ago, Trav said:

Am i right in that mortal wounds caused by my heroes do not generate depravity points but when my characters suffer mortal wounds depravity points are generated?

or do mortal wounds not contribute whatsoever?

thanks!

As far as I'm aware, they don't count at all :( it's a big shame, but it mostly means that you want to be in the opponent's face as fast as possible and slay their wizards/priests. 

2 hours ago, Trav said:

Thanks for that. Yeah -3 rend does sound good, even on the lord on steed as his combat weapon lacks rend. I usually make him -2 to hit and with -3 he might actually cause damage and gain depravity points and hang around for a while

Yeah, it can help make any 'meh' damage hero into a killing machine in no time. 

If you go pure slaanesh artefacts, the Breathtaker is absolutely amazing. On a 3+ a unit is the LAST thing to attack. This can help a keeper of secrets stay alive by wholesale murder an elite squad with a double pile in. I've charged a star drake, told it to sit down, and then got 2 full rounds of combat + all the daemonettes nearby. The Stardrake died. Granted this wasn't a hardcore tourney player, so it wasn't a celestant, nor did it have Castallent buff.

34 minutes ago, carnith said:

If you go pure slaanesh artefacts, the Breathtaker is absolutely amazing. On a 3+ a unit is the LAST thing to attack. This can help a keeper of secrets stay alive by wholesale murder an elite squad with a double pile in. I've charged a star drake, told it to sit down, and then got 2 full rounds of combat + all the daemonettes nearby. The Stardrake died. Granted this wasn't a hardcore tourney player, so it wasn't a celestant, nor did it have Castallent buff.

Breathtaker looked good, but i cant get past the idea that it doesnt work that way as if your opponent only has one unit in combat then you dont get to attack with all of your units first as they dont have other elegible units to choose first and it can still get selected to fight. Still good if there are multiple enemy units in combat though. 

I am hoping i am wrong as i would love to beat up on a big monster without it hitting back

24 minutes ago, carnith said:

I got confirmation of that one from playtesters of the ghb this last adepticon. I fought Brian Michaels (I'm bad with names) and he told me that was how it was meant to be played. It's like the forest dragon ability.

I really hope this is how it works, but the amount of arguments people have about it not working makes me not want to use it (I just don't want to deal with it every othee game). I recently had a very long discussion about Devotee of Torment (someone saying it couldn't be used to pile in from 6" away) that went round and round in circles. Seems like Slaanesh rules often cause arguments, which is a big shame :(

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I really hope this is how it works, but the amount of arguments people have about it not working makes me not want to use it (I just don't want to deal with it every othee game). I recently had a very long discussion about Devotee of Torment (someone saying it couldn't be used to pile in from 6" away) that went round and round in circles. Seems like Slaanesh rules often cause arguments, which is a big shame :(

Q: If an ability allows a unit to pile in more than the standard 3", can the unit pile in and attack in the combat phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy?

A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

from latest Designers’ Commentary, Core Rules

And it is specifically stated otherwise for the Devotee.

2 minutes ago, Drib said:

Q: If an ability allows a unit to pile in more than the standard 3", can the unit pile in and attack in the combat phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy?

A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

from latest Designers’ Commentary, Core Rules

And it is specifically stated otherwise for the Devotee.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty straight forward but my opponent disagreed. Unfortunately, in a two player game, an agreement has to be reached so when one player is certain a rule works differently than their opponent it makes it tough to continue.  

12 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty straight forward but my opponent disagreed. Unfortunately, in a two player game, an agreement has to be reached so when one player is certain a rule works differently than their opponent it makes it tough to continue.  

I would just pack my stuff and stop the game. There isn't even space to argue. The GHB wording is already clear, the FAQ is only for the +3" pile in without the within 6" to be chosen to pile in.

7 minutes ago, Drib said:

I would just pack my stuff and stop the game. There isn't even space to argue. The GHB wording is already clear, the FAQ is only for the +3" pile in without the within 6" to be chosen to pile in.

Luckily and unluckily it was a tournament. Unlucky because I couldn't pack away without disrupting everyone, lucky because the TO came and sorted it out in about 2 seconds flat (basically just pointing to the rule and saying it worked as written, so the pile in from 6" away was allowed). Kind of annoyingly, the guy's friend was also adamant that it didn't work. Kind of wished I had used a different command trait as devotee of torment raised eyebrows every time it was used (to be fair, it is a rule that works directly against a lot of people's expectations). 

Ah well, the tournament was fun other than that :)

That's good. I tried devotee of Torment, and used it to run away and repile in. "But you retreated" yeah but i'm not charging... 

I was just messing around and wanted to try something else out during when I found out to be a training game. I felt bad cause the keeper of secrets didn't even need to fight anything. Killed some prosecutors and ran away from Vandus to harrass some liberators. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carnith said:

I'm so confused by what you've written. This is not how Breathtaker works. It doesn't say that the targeted enemy becomes the " LAST thing to attack", it says that it becomes the last eligible enemy unit to attack.  How did you get 2 full rounds of combat  + all daemonettes nearby against it? Once the enemy had no more units to activate , that drake would have activated and mashed your girls into grape jelly.

I'm also giving RandomGuyWhoSaysHesAPlaytester 0% credit. The rules are very clear when it comes to Slaanesh artifacts.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:47 AM, michu said:

Was it mentioned that the Exalted Seeker Chariot is "No longer available"?

I wouldn't look into this much past, the kit sold out due to a few different reasons.  It happens fairly frequently.  Stuff gets restocked after a while.  It is a global company with AFAIK 2-3 manufacturing plants.

6 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I wouldn't look into this much past, the kit sold out due to a few different reasons.  It happens fairly frequently.  Stuff gets restocked after a while.  It is a global company with AFAIK 2-3 manufacturing plants.

There is a difference between "Temporrily out of stock Online" and "No longer avaiable".

For out of stock you can register for a E-Mail when it's back in stock( like this ).

5 hours ago, Drib said:

There is a difference between "Temporrily out of stock Online" and "No longer avaiable".

For out of stock you can register for a E-Mail when it's back in stock( like this ).

Well, I kinda remember the first time I wanted one of these suckers, I had to buy 2 seeker chariots and follow the (included) instructions on how to assemble an exalted chariot. Comes to just about the same price, and it's still included in the SC box. As of now, anyway.

Has anyone tried fiends? The most recent tournament list I saw for Slaanesh had 6 of them in (they came 17th out of 45), but I just cannot think of a proper use for them. Their average damage seems low, and for the price of them you may as well take seekers as they're faster if you want a unit to disrupt the opponent. That said, I've never played with them so I could be missing something.

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

Has anyone tried fiends? The most recent tournament list I saw for Slaanesh had 6 of them in (they came 17th out of 45), but I just cannot think of a proper use for them. Their average damage seems low, and for the price of them you may as well take seekers as they're faster if you want a unit to disrupt the opponent. That said, I've never played with them so I could be missing something.

The one thing I noticed when playing is -1 to hit on units kept those 6+ hit abilities from triggering. Fiends have this ability built in -1 to hit in combat. When fighting bight kings I had a keeper with the -1 in combat signifacantly reduced there damage output. This is probablly what there going for. I havent done any games with them yet to see other bennifts. But the -1 stands out the most.