AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just now, kahadin said:

Sounds like I just saved $35 for not needing a new terrain feature to me.

I'm not sure, it seems really good to me. Looking at the KoS (even just using its old rules); normally it does 6 damage without rerolls, with rerolls it does 8. Sounds like a small change, but it's a difference of a dead daemon prince and a weakened one. Consider a more powerful daemon, like the EKoS, it's the difference between 10 and 14 damage; double this difference on a double pile in, and that's not even considering rerolls into 6s. 

What am I missing D3 free depravity points doesn't sound in any way bad to me? Assuming it's of the deploy in your territory army specific scenery type and not just deployment zone. The other bit is situational (curious if you get a different effect for sacrificing an artefact though) 

Edited by Elazar The Glorified

20 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Taken from a Reddit comment by Dasquian, who tried to skew the Fane of Slaanesh card to be readable:

A Fane of Slaanesh is a focus of worship wrought in precious metal.  [not sure] to the Dark Prince, but in truth it is one of his most exalted greater daemons that peers through.  Those whose offerings meet with the creature's approval are greatly rewarded - but those who offend are harshly punished. 

**DESCRIPTION** 

A Fane of Slaanesh is a single terrain feature.  It is an obstacle. 

**SCENERY RULES** 

**Power of Slaanesh**: A Fane of Slaanesh channels arcane power to the Dark Prince's sorcerers while filling their foes with dread. 

If you spend depravity points to summon a unit to the battlefield, and that unit is set up whollly within 12" of this terrain feature, you may gain D3 depravity points after that unit has been set up. 

**Blessed Conduit**: Slaanesh's minions can make sacrifices at a Fane of Slaanesh to gain martial prowess. 

At the start of your hero phase, you can pick 1 friendly **CHAOS SLAANESH HERO** within 6" of this terrain feature to make a sacrifice.  If you do so, the **HERO** suffers 1 mortal wound and you then roll a dice.  On a 1, nothing happens.  On a 2+ you can reroll hit rolls made by that **HERO** until your next hero phase. 

If that **HERO** has an artefact of power, they can sacrifice the artefact instead of suffering a mortal wound.  [Final paragraph is nigh unreadable due to the artefacts from stretching it]

Talks about sorcerers but the gives dp back. Kinda odd but aneat ability. The hero one is situational I wonder if that counts as dp.

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

**SCENERY RULES** 

**Power of Slaanesh**: A Fane of Slaanesh channels arcane power to the Dark Prince's sorcerers while filling their foes with dread. 

If you spend depravity points to summon a unit to the battlefield, and that unit is set up whollly within 12" of this terrain feature, you may gain D3 depravity points after that unit has been set up. 

**Blessed Conduit**: Slaanesh's minions can make sacrifices at a Fane of Slaanesh to gain martial prowess. 

At the start of your hero phase, you can pick 1 friendly **CHAOS SLAANESH HERO** within 6" of this terrain feature to make a sacrifice.  If you do so, the **HERO** suffers 1 mortal wound and you then roll a dice.  On a 1, nothing happens.  On a 2+ you can reroll hit rolls made by that **HERO** until your next hero phase. 

If that **HERO** has an artefact of power, they can sacrifice the artefact instead of suffering a mortal wound.  [Final paragraph is nigh unreadable due to the artefacts from stretching it]

That sounds pretty awesome. Flat reroll to hits is incredibly helpful for any unit and something like the herald on exalted chariot could make great use of it with 20 attacks. Or Archaon for that matter... double pile in and rerolling all of his attack rolls would be bonkers. If that mortal wound generates a depravity point as well then it's just gravy. I'm really curious what sacrificing the artifact does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grimrock said:

That sounds pretty awesome. Flat reroll to hits is incredibly helpful for any unit and something like the herald on exalted chariot could make great use of it with 20 attacks. Or Archaon for that matter... double pile in and rerolling all of his attack rolls would be bonkers. If that mortal wound generates a depravity point as well then it's just gravy. I'm really curious what sacrificing the artifact does.

Me too. I think rerolls are also more important when you consider our extra attacks on a 6. 

Maybe it could do something for enrapturess spam. They get depravity and reroll hits on a 2+. That could be nasty.  However for anything else a possible reroll hits for one round and a guaranteed wound sounds trashy. 

The depravity return is nice. That alone might be worth it, but it's only a 12" area

3 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think a lot depends on where you can put the terrain feature; if it can go in the centre, then it'll be a lot better than just in our deployment zone. 

I agree, but all the other terrain recently that I've seen has been in out deployment zone [perfect for enrapturess spam]

I think we are fast enough so we can probably handle having the gateway limit the area we summon, but it's still marginal to me. 

In a backwards kind of way this is very promising. A trash free terrain feature would indicate that the army as a whole is very strong and cant have a big boost from its terrain. Makes me hopeful we will have some good warscrolls and point balances to look forward to. 

9 minutes ago, Benkei said:

To be honest with just the spoilers released today Slaneesh seems pretty strong. Like, tier 1 strong. 

Yeah, we were already very strong, so without some major nerfs I think we're going to be tier 1 easily. 

i can see some changes. Daemonettes already seeming like a nerf with them probably losing their iconic extra attacks, but who knows, perhaps they gain something else in return, or can generate the hits on a 5+ like before, probably not. 

Seekers getting a small buff with their mounts gaining extra hits, so that'll be interesting. Someone trying to buff hellstriders up to do a lot of hits to get more attacks might be viable somewhere.

Speaking of hellstriders, probably a nerf to their banner as the 6" model thing is weird. Perhaps they just target a single unit to get shut down? Can't pile in? 

Some favorite combos are probably gone, like for me when i run pretenders, I liked the +1 to hit/cast/unbind and -1 to hit in combat. Maybe they won't be there anymore, but the reroll hits from the terrain or from the Stronger Alone trait could be rather good. 

I think the terrain piece is great for the low low cost of 0 points. Generating depravity points when summoning is great, and corner case hurting a hero for 1 DP may make a difference in summoning what you need and summoning what you can. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

I think the terrain piece is great for the low low cost of 0 points. Generating depravity points when summoning is great, and corner case hurting a hero for 1 DP may make a difference in summoning what you need and summoning what you can. 

Yeah, exactly. It means, at worse, an infernal enrapturess can generate 2dp per turn rather than just 1. 

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, exactly. It means, at worse, an infernal enrapturess can generate 2dp per turn rather than just 1. 

Yep, at that point it becomes a DP engine, even if slightly inefficient.  Generate 7 DP, Summon Enrapturess, regain d3 DP, then hurt itself and generate next turn for 2, if your lucky it pays for itself the next turn and after that, its pure DP profit. Of course you could just of spent the DP on whatever you wanted and not wasted all those turns, but hey somebody needs to stay back in and resummon your KOS after he dies. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, we were already very strong, so without some major nerfs I think we're going to be tier 1 easily. 

What is it do you think is making them sound so strong?

Summoning seems really viable assuming the units don’t go up in points. And the 3 hits ability is neat, but to me looks like one of those ‘sounds good on paper’ rules.

Just now, Starfyre said:

What is it do you think is making them sound so strong?

Summoning seems really viable assuming the units don’t go up in points. And the 3 hits ability is neat, but to me looks like one of those ‘sounds good on paper’ rules.

We are currently really strong anyway; we have incredible speed, very good damage, decent summoning, and a lot of debuffs to throw around. We could do a lot without a battletome, so I reckon we'll be able to do even more with one.  

Screenshot_20190408-074107_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, Enoby said:

We are currently really strong anyway; we have incredible speed, very good damage, decent summoning, and a lot of debuffs to throw around. We could do a lot without a battletome, so I reckon we'll be able to do even more with one.  

Screenshot_20190408-074107_Chrome.jpg

After looking at other forums I don't think people understand how good slaanesh can be. Even without a book or understand how these abilietes work. I actually saw some one say slaanesh is completely outclassed by fec, BoK, and fyreslayers. Either they dont understand how to play slaanesh or they never played against it. When the book drops its going to surprise people.

• Like 3

I did some maths theory and used Deamonettes against Daughters of Khaine 

https://warminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/10/20/dice-theory-witch-aelves-vs-deamonettes/

What's interesting is that, without buffs or auras or any support (and assuming all got into close combat) they actually held up pretty well. In fact if they got the first attack  they do quite a significant amount of damage. With a little adjustment and perhaps some buffs from within the army (as one might well expect to get in a real world battle) then they are a very capable force of infantry. 

Remembering that Witch Aelves are considered one of the better hoard infantry. 

Of course also granted the witches weren't getting any bonuses in this study either so both sides its a little artificial. 

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

I did some maths theory and used Deamonettes against Daughters of Khaine 

https://warminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/10/20/dice-theory-witch-aelves-vs-deamonettes/

What's interesting is that, without buffs or auras or any support (and assuming all got into close combat) they actually held up pretty well. In fact if they got the first attack  they do quite a significant amount of damage. With a little adjustment and perhaps some buffs from within the army (as one might well expect to get in a real world battle) then they are a very capable force of infantry. 

Remembering that Witch Aelves are considered one of the better hoard infantry. 

Of course also granted the witches weren't getting any bonuses in this study either so both sides its a little artificial. 

Looking at the article it appears to be old. Daemonettes would have way more hits and they have built in rend that would neutralize the 6+ save witch selves have. 

If daemonettes attack first no banner for reroll 1 to hit.

60 attacks ×.5=30

60attacks ×.33= 20 additional attacks

50 hits × .5 = 25 wounds no save

25 × .166 fnp  = 4.15 fnp

25-4 fnp= 21

So witch aelves lose 25 modles with the kaine save its 21. This dual dagger.

Aye its an older article I think done before Wrath and Rapture if I recall right - so yeah their stats might well be out of date and in need of revision. Though it shows that even back then they were no slouches in combat. So if they've already improved and then might improve or adjust again they could easily be in line with daughters and that's a good position to be in. 

Of course that's only one aspect of the army, one has to consider the other elements of the force and how they work together and support one another. 

1 minute ago, Overread said:

Aye its an older article I think done before Wrath and Rapture if I recall right - so yeah their stats might well be out of date and in need of revision. Though it shows that even back then they were no slouches in combat. So if they've already improved and then might improve or adjust again they could easily be in line with daughters and that's a good position to be in. 

Of course that's only one aspect of the army, one has to consider the other elements of the force and how they work together and support one another. 

Daemonettes as stand alone horde infantry is really self sufficient. Depending on how things synergies and warscroll changes and point changes they could be really solid infantry.