AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

17 hours ago, Poryague said:

Daemon princes not being summonable, not casting, no haedonite keyword are probably there biggest issues at the moment. The ability to jump the queue if something goes wrong is good. They do come with fly and 12in move that part is good. It's hard to say if they are worth the points.

Yea thats why I made a topic on a Prince overhaul. I probably went over the top with it but come on, they are suppose to be the best Mortal Champion ever and turned into a daemon! Yet they're basically an over glorified distraction carnifex.

Daemon Princes are great. The only thing they miss out on is the Locus ability but the Slaanesh ability they get is arguably better anyway. Something being summonable or not has absolutely no bearing on if you should include it in your initial army. I used to take 2 in 2000pts and never regretted it and they've only been buffed with the new rules. I mean people seem to think a lot of the Enrapturess and yet for only 20 points more you get +3 wounds, +1 Save, is faster and is far, far more killy with the only loss being a situational magic defence and a bonus depravity point that is quickly outstripped once the prince gets into combat. Not saying the Enrapturess is bad but I think people have always underestimated Daemon Princes.

I've got a Godseekers list i'm going to try out next week that makes the Prince the General so that the Keeper can be thrown away more and with the retreat and charge command trait and fly can reliably charge every turn for DP but make sure he's hitting somewhere he'll be reasonably safe. 

Just in case people haven't seen the heavy metal stream, the painter gave tips on how they painted the daemon skin. 

It was 

Slaanesh grey(? depends on your scheme)+Celestra Grey + white paint (Most likely white scar I think) 1:1:1

Soft Shade of Celestra Gray

Then add a little bit of daemonette hide into the soft shade and apply to the model. The shade is focused in the shadows aka recesses. 

I'm going to experiment with this technique. They noted that they did it this way so they can have clean finish on the model and avoid doing tons of layers which ruins the detail. 

Edited by shinros
  • Thanks 1

I really like the Epicurean Revelers battalion. It makes daemonettes and Exalted Chariots deadly with crapping out mortal wounds like their keeper overlord. Against tough enemies like fyreslayers that can get pretty high saves, revelers can cut through those saves and deal some damage. Perhaps comboing a keeper could be a single chariot whiping out most of a chaff unit with all the mw's it can put out.

My first post! Just started Slaanesh with a starter set and a few boxes of wrath and rapture. Not played a game yet but can anyone explain why you would take any of the normal chariots when its 40pts more to get the herald version? +2 wounds, +2 attacks, can cast/deny, access to artifacts and generates depravity points? Only thing i can see is if your playing seeker host for battleline or youve run out of hero slots. 

I maybe have missed something though.

11 minutes ago, pilchard8 said:

My first post! Just started Slaanesh with a starter set and a few boxes of wrath and rapture. Not played a game yet but can anyone explain why you would take any of the normal chariots when its 40pts more to get the herald version? +2 wounds, +2 attacks, can cast/deny, access to artifacts and generates depravity points? Only thing i can see is if your playing seeker host for battleline or youve run out of hero slots. 

I maybe have missed something though.

You're right - unless you run out of points or hero spaces, it's better to take the herald version 99% of the time. 

The herald versions are better, but they cost another 40 points. On their own that isn't much, but it adds up over the course of a whole segment of them. 

Another issue is that you can, in 2K points, only have 6 leaders in the army. So eventually you might run out of hero slots and thus have to take regular ones by default. That said there's a heavy bias in the army to fit in leaders wherever you can for the depravity point generation. 

The mega battallion 1 drops are doable just need to fit a minimum of 5 heroes for the artifacts. Then plan on how to summon all the stuff you need. As of now i think godseekers and invaders may be easily doable. I am testing a pretenders mega battalion tonight. The pretenders wont be a 1 drop but 5. Had add 4 heroes for all the artifacts. 

1 hour ago, Poryague said:

The mega battallion 1 drops are doable just need to fit a minimum of 5 heroes for the artifacts

Its technically doable but you're talking about anywhere from 520 to 600 points in battalions alone, I can't see playing down a quarter to a third of your army just to get to one drop. 

Heroes can only go in the Sybarite battalion. The other two battalions are non-heroes. What I like about Epicurean's is that the chariots get the rend too, so an exalted chariot throws out a lot of mortals. 

1 hour ago, SwampHeart said:

Its technically doable but you're talking about anywhere from 520 to 600 points in battalions alone, I can't see playing down a quarter to a third of your army just to get to one drop. 

Kinda have to rely on summoning. It's probably more likely 2 battalions at most. Well we can now play a really elite army were over half the army is heroes.

Hey everyone, Hope the new releases has everyone as excited as I am. I've been working towards building a list and am kind of stuck as to where to go:

Building a list for a 2000 point tournament and here is what I have so far:

KOS (360)

Rapturess (140)

Syll'Esske (200)

Contorted Epitome (200)

All in Supreme Sybarites

2x 30 Deamonettes

Both in Revellers

5x Helstrirders w/ spears.

That puts me at 1900 - Plan is to go with a Invaders list.

What should i add, what could be taken out. I don't have a second keeper model, so that is off the table,.

Thanks!

Edited by Aenjul

43 minutes ago, Poryague said:

It's probably more likely 2 battalions at most. Well we can now play a really elite army were over half the army is heroes.

Yeah I think tinkering around with 2 drop lists is probably a really good place to be in. Unrelated I did get to try out another game with the book today and I was really excited with the results. I played against Nighthaunt (which I consider one our worst summoning match ups as they have so few multi wound models). 

My list was:

Spoiler

Pretenders
-Keeper of Secrets - General (Strength of Godhood, Strongest Alone), Silverslash (Claws), Progeny of Damnation
-Contorted Epitome - Scepter of Domination, Born of Damnation
-Infernal Enrapturess
-Daemon Prince of Slaanesh
-Great Bray Shaman
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungors
-30x Bestigors
-10x Chaos Knights of Slaanesh - Ensorcelled Weapons
Depraved Drove
-Mesmerizing Mirror
-Soulsnare Shackles 

My opponent's list was (since he kindly gave me a copy, also as I understand it this was a list that did well at an Australian tournament)

Spoiler

-Dreadblade Harrow - General (Ruler of Spirithosts)
-Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern - Infernal Lantern, Shademist
-Lady Olynder - Spectral Tether
-Reiknor - Lifestealer
-The Briar Queen - Spirit Drain
-10x Chainrasps
-10x Chainrasps
-10x Grimghast Reapers
-5x Bladegheist
-5x Bladegheist
-2x Chainghast
-6x Thorns of the Brian Queen
-Black Coach
Shroudguard
-Purple Sun
-Soulsnare Shackles

We played Scorched Earth - no realm rules. Final score was 12-8 my favor. Overall observations:

-Against armies with lots of casting but no bonuses to speak of the combo of Epitome and Enrapturess is a deathblow
-Having access to go fast beasts is a real bonus to the army, my Bestigors were able to clear the table on turn one and immediately put pressure on an obj.
-A Slaanesh Demon Prince is an interesting option in the list (thanks @Poryague) his out of phase activation is really slippery and you can basically just make him a missile
-I was  worried only having 3 units of 10 Ungors for my 'bodies' but they did the job fine as far as screening and keeping my enrapturess safe for a turn or 2
-Chaos Knights fit really well into HoS, they give us a bulky, durable unit that can screen characters and deal with screens effectively 
-Even against an army where I didn't have a ton of options to generate DP I was able to use things like the Prince and Enrapturess to get early DP and summon a second Enrapturess to help keep the DP flowing even on turns I was mostly hewing through 1 wound bodies
-The mirror was awesome against this list where my opponent largely wanted to keep several characters near one another
-I think the book is probably more finesse-y than people are giving it credit for, I don't think the 3 Keepers/90 'Nettes will actually work. It can't hit quite hard enough to stop the return punch from being crippling and is too vulnerable to screening. I think you have to play cagey and open up lanes for your units to work in. 

Was the 3 keeeper/90 daemonette list a serious list? It seemed like a meme. To me, the army's finesse moved from keeping your unit buffs up and active, to playing to however your army is supposed to generate depravity. I kind of miss the old way of doing 30 nettes, herald, and hellstriders for this little bubble that swarms the enemy and watch your enemy get bogged down. A lot of my opponents are happy it's gone, and sure, it allows them to play the game more, but I fear it's once game of every 4+ for locus hits and the epitome gets 4 units bogged down. I told my usual opponents, sure the -1 to hit is gone, but if I can delete half of the death star unit, did it matter if you suffered -1 to hit? Like Slaanesh went from caring super hard about Gav Bomb to not caring about it at all. If we can drop evocators to the end of combat, does it matter they spent 3 command points for +9 to run ensuring they made the charge? They wont get to strike first half of the time, making it a huge gamble and in our triple keeper list ideas, they definitely dont wanna try to assassinate the keeper as it's on a 2+ they will just get eliminated. 

19 minutes ago, carnith said:

Was the 3 keeeper/90 daemonette list a serious list? It seemed like a meme.

Seen loads of people posting it around various internet forums as the basis of their first lists. The other alternate is 90 'Nettes + a supporting cast of characters (usually a pretenders set up). I just don't think overall it works out well. 

i mean at first glance, 3 kos and 90 nettes seems like a good list, but i mean, theres nothing else there. And you have to remember to gear yourself to your local meta, or pay attention to tournies if that's all you play. Perhaps for a lot of people, the basic 3/90 might work out well for them. I know people are talking about all chariot lists. And perhaps that is the way pretenders plays is having the nice large squads cause the supporting cast is casting spells and not wanting to put more spells into acquiescence. It's kind of a nice trade off in that regard. 

I listed it awhile back but my 2k pretenders list was

Keeper

-Slayer of Godbeasts

-Strength from god hood.

-Either heal or no command ability spending

Eptiome

-Phantasmagoria

Herald

-Soul Slice Shard

Sorc Lord on Manticore

-the roll 2d6 and if you beat bravery, army gets +1 to hit. 

60 nettes

-Epicurean Revelers

5 hellstriders

This has left me with 240 points. Ideas are 2 squads of seekers, an exalted chariot, or 2 more heralds. Extra relic will be stealing command points from the enemy general. And maybe an unless spell. I tried the wheels spell yesterday and it nearly cruised over a bray shaman and chaos spawn. It killed the spawn outright but i didn't go far enough for the shaman. 

12 minutes ago, carnith said:

*Snip*

Its the 30 Daemonettes in Epicureans that I don't rate, it plays far too much into the 'run ahead, deal MWs, win' mentality to me. I just don't think Daemonettes can withstand any form of punch to be worth so heavily investing in. I've only played the new army twice but I feel like the first investment has to be in characters and methods to generate DP. Other people may have different experiences with the army obviously but I tried one game with 30 Daemonettes and was disappointed in just how fast they evaporated. 

Edited by SwampHeart

I think they are fine. Worth trying out. If you don’t want to run them that’s fine. Besides my meta doesn’t play hardcore tourney so I have to tone it down. I don’t run into nagash or other nasty things like allarielle 

19 minutes ago, carnith said:

Besides my meta doesn’t play hardcore tourney so I have to tone it down. I don’t run into nagash or other nasty things like allarielle 

Yeah I think if played in a less competitive environment I might run the 90 but my play group is a pretty tough place. Great guys and we slow it way down for our new guys but most of my guys are tournament contenders so its always a tough game against a tough list.