AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 minutes ago, Alexonian said:

I currently own 18 (new) fiends , thinking of trying to sell 9-12 of them, never going to use them all now :/

I know your pain, I have 12 of them, I wont be using any any unless their points change in a future GHB

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

While they're not as good, they are still very much usable in a list themed around fiends. Maybe not the most competitive, but definitely not a terrible choice for a gimmick. 

Oh I know they aren't terrible, but they are just to expensive currently, will never use all of them so might as well try fund another keeper :P

1 minute ago, Rock Lobster said:

I know your pain, I have 12 of them, I wont be using any any unless their points change in a future GHB

Yeah I definitely feel you, as I said above though with some luck I can transform them into another keeper ;)

I only own 6 and plan to keep mine and throw them in lists that aren’t best of the best. Since seekers feel their cost and have better stats than daemonettes to adjust the cost of them, I plan to run them at some point for different lists. 4 attacks 3/4 with a chance of more attacks makes them not terrible in a prolonged engagement as long as they kill a single model. 

13 minutes ago, Poryague said:

What about this. Take Invader host give kos imunity to rend and skin taker. Then cast cogs go for reroll failed armor saves. the fane of slaanesh reroll hit rolls on the same kos. 

Don't you have to be within a certain range of the cogs to get that off?

21 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Don't you have to be within a certain range of the cogs to get that off?

To get it off, yes. They have to be within 9" during their hero phase. However, the effect lasts until the subsequent hero phase, so if you're taking turn 1, you're getting at least 2 combat rounds of rerolled saves, and up to 3.

9 minutes ago, Rentar said:

To get it off, yes. They have to be within 9" during their hero phase. However, the effect lasts until the subsequent hero phase, so if you're taking turn 1, you're getting at least 2 combat rounds of rerolled saves, and up to 3.

Certainly an interesting strategy. I can imagine it'd be great for making the KoS into a tank for a turn. 

That said, in this army, I'm still of the opinion that a good offense is the best defence - I like Skintaker, but I just can't help but feel that the sheer power of a Pretenders KoS is better. Then again, I've not had the chance to try. 

Also, do we have the most amount possible healed to a model in a round? If we have skintaker and the hand, as well as the greater daemon healing spell and the lesser daemon healing spell; with some very lucky casting rolls of +10, the healing spells will do d6 (I think?) and d3. If it kills a hero both combat phases (which isn't too hard), that's another 2d6 from the hand and 2d3 from skintaker. That means in one full round, if everything goes exactly to plan (which is very unlikely), it can heal 3d6+3d3 (average 18, max 27, min if all go off 6). Even if we assume no heroes and no +10 rolls, we heal 5d3+1, which is still 11 on average. I can't think of any army that beats that healing.

Edited by Enoby

51 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Certainly an interesting strategy. I can imagine it'd be great for making the KoS into a tank for a turn. 

That said, in this army, I'm still of the opinion that a good offense is the best defence - I like Skintaker, but I just can't help but feel that the sheer power of a Pretenders KoS is better. Then again, I've not had the chance to try. 

Also, do we have the most amount possible healed to a model in a round? If we have skintaker and the hand, as well as the greater daemon healing spell and the lesser daemon healing spell; with some very lucky casting rolls of +10, the healing spells will do d6 (I think?) and d3. If it kills a hero both combat phases (which isn't too hard), that's another 2d6 from the hand and 2d3 from skintaker. That means in one full round, if everything goes exactly to plan (which is very unlikely), it can heal 3d6+3d3 (average 18, max 27, min if all go off 6). Even if we assume no heroes and no +10 rolls, we heal 5d3+1, which is still 11 on average. I can't think of any army that beats that healing.

And he can still go down in single round of combat.

Or od you get double turned

3 minutes ago, azmodan said:

And he can still go down in single round of combat.

Or od you get double turned

Yes, you could - though I'm not disputing that :P Just found the numbers interesting; might be useful for some people to know.

What I find a bit amusing is that I've been slowly rebasing some old models. The old fiends and old seekers in metal both fit into the new bases better (all within the confines of the edge of the base) than the new models! The Seekers you can sort of see that they were likely made with those long and thin "biker" bases from 40K in mind; whilst the new fiends are just spilling all over the place with their claws and tails and tongues. 

I'll likely end up with 9 in plastic fiends, I really love the models; and then a back up of 7 old metal ones.

What strikes me the most. Is how fiends/daemonnetes where nerfed.

On the other hand seekers have reacived +1 To hit on claws and mounts. Also mounts now generates attacks.

But still no one is interestet in them. I really wish one could use them as battleline

I think the seekers got boosted a little because they basically appear in all the collecting sets (wrath and rapture and the start collecting box) but were not as interesting previously. So I think people wound up with quite a few but not as much interest to play them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Overread said:

I think the seekers got boosted a little because they basically appear in all the collecting sets (wrath and rapture and the start collecting box) but were not as interesting previously. So I think people wound up with quite a few but not as much interest to play them. 

Well you just described me:D 

4 minutes ago, azmodan said:

What strikes me the most. Is how fiends/daemonnetes where nerfed.

While daemonettes were nerfed, I think it was fair; the nerf is hardly that big (losing rerolling 6s to hit them, but the extra attack are now an allegiance ability and rerollings 1s is super common in the army) and rerolling charges is very good (esp with summoning). Daemonettes were far too cheap at 100 points, so 110 feels fairer.

8 minutes ago, azmodan said:

Well you just described me:D 

And me and most other Slaanesh players ;) 

I'm glad to have more reason to take more seekers. Doubly so because when I started Slaanesh several years ago (in the old fantasy era and then promptly moved on/gave up) I picked up around 10 or so of the old metal seekers. I've now a reason to break them out of the box - rebase and consider picking up some more here and there (I keep holding out at present and crossing my fingers that GW does a classic release for them - esp since on ebay the prices for them can easily get to over £10 per model - or you end up waiting and battling it out in a bidding war and hoping it doesn't go that high).

I'd love to get a unit of 30 of the metal deamonettes too, but they are also never cheap (though I've at least seen them hit between £40 and £50 for 10)

Speaking of... Anyone have any tips on converting seekers into hellstriders? I have all the seekers I could ever want and then some, but no hellstriders and I'd rather not buy those ugly models.

Any tips for where to get the mortals and spears? Whips I can get from the exalted chariot kits (since they come with an extra 2 if you build exalteds)

8 minutes ago, Rentar said:

Speaking of... Anyone have any tips on converting seekers into hellstriders? I have all the seekers I could ever want and then some, but no hellstriders and I'd rather not buy those ugly models.

Any tips for where to get the mortals and spears? Whips I can get from the exalted chariot kits (since they come with an extra 2 if you build exalteds)

You could also get whips from Daughters of Khaine (Sisters of Slaughter/Witch Aelves).
As for converting hellstriders you can find some of the weapon arms like the iconic spear claw on ebay - they seem to be semi-popular in stock (at least in the past I didn't have too much trouble finding some). You could even find a helmet to put on your deamonette body. 

A helmed head and spear claw would be enough to make them into hellstriders for most respects. 

5 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I've always wondered, why do people dislike Hellstriders so much? They're not my favourite model by any means, but they're not awful.

For me the current Slaanesh Seekers are not as nicely modelled as the original. Now I will bow and say that the Deamonettes are a very neat kit when considered as  a whole because between the infantry, cavalry and chariots you can interchange any head or arm between them and even the riders can interchange between chariot and seekers. 

However the riders are a little "big" compared to the seeker mounts and are sort of just straddling over them rather than having a more "riding" pose. You can see this difference if you compare the current seekers to the old, where the old seekers the rider is smaller in comparison and is gripping the mount with their legs not just dangling them. 

Hellstriders are a bit more bulky looking in body so they take the whole aspect one stage further. The riders are just not dynamic nor scaled with thier mounts in a pleasing way. Another comparison would be comparing them to the deer riders from the old Wood elves line; where again we see much better dynamic rider and mount setup. 

It's partly a result of age, its clear that GW has better sculpting and tooling to allow them far more dynamic mounted poses today than in the past.

Just putting it out there so feel free to slap me down - Doomfire Warlocks as Hellstriders? Similar vibe but avoids using those models...?

Hmmm, actually not sure about horses with ‘Lashing Tongues’ 😂 

Edited by 5kaven5lave
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Just putting it out there so feel free to slap me down - Doomfire Warlocks as Hellstriders? Similar vibe but avoids using those models...?

Hmmm, actually not sure about horses with ‘Lashing Tongues’ 😂 

Those do look kinda nice. Might pick up some bits to plop them on the seekers and have them act as Hellstriders.

So I asked around, and a friend of mine has some (5) spare Javelins from a Marauder Horseman set which I can make use of as spears. I'm also thinking I can probably grab a helmeted head (or two?) from him for leader(s) and use some spare heads from a number of other kits for the normal Hellstriders. Problem is getting another 10 spears/javelins, but I'll see if anyone in my area can spare me a couple. I'm sure there's at least a few kits that'll work.

6 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Just for those talking about Pretenders vs Invaders:

A pretenders KOS with Sliverslash is worse than an Invaders KOS striking twice with their Command Ability.

Who has the most Command Point generation?
invaders.

Yes but you will nearly always have at least 1cp, and a pretenders KoS with Sliverslash strikes much harder when striking twice than an invaders KoS when striking twice. 

5 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yes but you will nearly always have at least 1cp, and a pretenders KoS with Sliverslash strikes much harder when striking twice than an invaders KoS when striking twice. 

Right.

But 3 keepers striking twice is better still....