AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

51 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

What changed that the masque is now more popular?  Or was just the movement shenanigans that useful in the past but people didn't take her much?  Just looking for insight on her.  

She's cheap, annoying for the opponent (you can stop them being able to reach objectives for a round, or get in range of charges), and a potential pocket of depravity points. All in all, she has a lot of potential tactics bundled into 80 points. 

• Like 2

She's faster than most units in the game, granting her rerolls to hits and wounds. Her movement debuff can force your opponent to run in turns they may not want to. She's small, allowing her to be hidden. She's worth 4 depravity. a 4+ save, something rare in the army. Can easily hide in a squad of daemonettes to give them locus ability. Great if you are fighting a melee army.

• Like 2

What would You guyz think about a 2k roster like this:

Exalted Greater Daemon + 6" pile in + allure of slaanesh + gryph-feather charm (440)

Keeper of Secrets (260)

Herald on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)

Slaanesh Daemon Prince (160)

Slaanesh Sorcerer Lord (120)

Masque of Slaanesh (80)

30x Daemonettes (270)

30x Daemonettes (270)

5x Hellstriders (100)

Geminids (40)

2x Command Points

1900/2000

Edited by Siemano
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carnith said:

that's almost better. Now you don't have to worry about your enemy piling in range and giving it to an entire squad. 

True that is a good point I haven't considered. I always used it on a supporting hero which was normally 9-10 inches away from enemy models. Then used it to buff multiple combats with the keeper and the daemonettes. When you added damned terrain to the equation they tore through most units 

So I still feel our two best unique artefacts are Breath Taker and Icon of Excess. Without any battalions, we must make the important decision of what our 1 artefact will be. Breathtaker is still really potent in that we can make a huge monster the last thing to attack while we surround it and murder it, and we know that icon can make a daemonette squad an absolute terror for a round. 

Are these better than realm artefacts like Gryph Charm Feather, or aetherquartz broach, or a weapon upgrade for the keeper of secrets? 

I personally think realm specific items are better then the ones in GHB 2018. I found a new interesting one. +3" pile in (I don't remember the name). If i think correctly, it stacks with our 6" pile in. So we can accually pile in 9" and attack?! More then once per turn with command points. Or am I mistaken? :( No one wants to comment on my roster :P

5 minutes ago, Siemano said:

I personally think realm specific items are better then the ones in GHB 2018. I found a new interesting one. +3" pile in (I don't remember the name). If i think correctly, it stacks with our 6" pile in. So we can accually pile in 9" and attack?! More then once per turn with command points. Or am I mistaken? :( No one wants to comment on my roster :P

From the FAQ:

Q: If an ability allows a unit to pile in more than the standard 3", can the unit pile in and attack in the combat phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy?

A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

So only 6" pile in and attack as the Devotee of Torment only allows to pile in and attack when within 6".

On 8/2/2018 at 12:59 PM, Siemano said:

What would You guyz think about a 2k roster like this:

Exalted Greater Daemon + 6" pile in + allure of slaanesh + gryph-feather charm (440)

Keeper of Secrets (260)

Herald on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)

Slaanesh Daemon Prince (160)

Slaanesh Sorcerer Lord (120)

Masque of Slaanesh (80)

30x Daemonettes (270)

30x Daemonettes (270)

5x Hellstriders (100)

Geminids (40)

2x Command Points

1900/2000

I'll give a quick comment :P it's very similar to what I run, though I might suggest trading the daemon prince and chariot for another keeper if you're using realm spells as they're all incredibly powerful, and being able to cast almost all of them could be very useful. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tzeentchmike said:

It is now per models rather than per unit so a lot harder for it to effect the whole unit 

Pardon me. What "plus one to hit bubble icon "are you referring to? Is that a trait, an artefact, if so what and where? Is it something on a warscroll? Whose warscroll? Thanks.

12 hours ago, Siemano said:

Enoby! There is a chance i could do that. Tell me though which other malign sorcery spells i could use. Except geminids i don't quite know what would be useful ( not chronomatic cogs)

It really depends on the tournament restrictions - if the games/tournaments are using realm spells (which GW recommends)  then you'll have a different selection each game :) as for endless spells, the pendulum is pretty good; basically just a safe d6 mortal wounds on the cheap - gives us some limited hero sniping. 

2 hours ago, cooleyo said:

Can I field a Godsword champions of ruin batallion in a slaanesh allegiance army? Why or why not?

It seems like a good way to get a 2nd artefact and the mechanics are actually pleasant.

I don't have the battalion in front of me, but but if it's a Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen battalion then unfortunately not without using ally points on every unit in the battalion (which may make it too expensive). This was an unfortunate casualty of the FAQ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cooleyo said:

Can I field a Godsword champions of ruin batallion in a slaanesh allegiance army? Why or why not?

It seems like a good way to get a 2nd artefact and the mechanics are actually pleasant.

Cheapest way to field it is 460 points, so it would need atleast a 2500 points game. Additionaly, you need 12 non ally units für the 1:3 ratio. So, better forget it fast ..

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Seekers

Leaders
Lord Of Chaos (140)
- Allies

Battleline

Units
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
- Allies
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
- Allies
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
- Allies

Battalions
Godsworn Champions of Ruin (170)
- Allies

Total: 460 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 41
Allies: 460 / 500
Wounds: 21

• Like 1

Just finished a tournament last weekend with my list on page 7.  Went 2-1( with the crown going to the man i lost to). 

Game 1 Vs Stormcast Vangaurd 

He was playing two Castellants on foot, stardrake two five man castigators and i believe 6-9 mounted dragon cav. This one i got wiped by, killed his foot soldier wall, wiffed one charge, and on his turned he mortal wounded most of my battleline away. I lost round two initiative and he mortal wounded pretty much everything off the map. Never played against stormcast, and didn't know what to expect, didn't help he turtled to start so none of his vulnerable targets took my charge.

Game 2 vs Moonclan and Squigs

This was a major victory for me. Map was Battle for the pass. Another army i never played before, was also a little intimidated by the Gigantic Squig. However i felt a little more comfortable with how i should play Slaanesh. I won initiative and charged to the first two objectives. By turned two he had one depleted goblin unit, 10 squigs, and 3 heroes left, and I was ahead 8-4 on objectives  having only lost 670 poi ts to his 1170. I did have a minor blunder when i charged his grots and didn't  realize he had fanatics that could pop out and hurt me prior to the charge, i payed fir it in 10 daemonettes, got go vengeance.

Game 3 VS Legions of Negash

This was a battle that favored me, as it was Duality of Death. He had a 40 skeleton block, 20 gravegaurd, 2 Morghast, 10 hexwraith, 3 spirithost, 10 hounds, 3 heroes, one was a vampire, and 3 endless spells, geminids, the scythe, and the swords. It was kind of a weird list, he took initiative and camped one objectice, and most of the other one. It took a bit but by turn 3 I had him mostly wiped, a little luck my way as he only got off the geminids. 

All in all i had a good time, and was happy with my first time playing Slaanesh. I definitely made some mistakes, including poor targeting with Archaon, as i have to remind myself that he should only be hunting monsters and heroes. I also have to get better at fighting with my heroes as i was mainly sending in the nettes and not generating depravity because of it, but I will say those nettes performed amazing, hands down the best battleline ive ever had!

• Like 2

So last weekend was blackout at firestorm games, 5 games using realm rules which were provided by the TO. I took the following list 

Seeker host

exalted keeper with invigorated by pain and dimensional blade for -3 rend

herald on exalted chariot

chaos sorcerer lord

chaos sorcerer lord on manticore

2x 30 daemonettes

2x 5 helstiders with icon of excess

10 seekers of slaanesh

which put me at 1940 for a triumph and an extra command point

First game was against Karl and his fyreslayers in the realm of fire at shifting objectives. Karl list meant that he could stack +1s to priority once a game so he used  this to virtually guarantee going first in the second turn. This game was an uphill struggle from the start due to the ward saves and rerollable saves and was then compounded by him rolling a 6 every time for his runes. Hearth guard berzerkers with 2 attacks are nasty. Managed to stay in the game till the last turn priority roll which I lost and could not catch up then. Fyreslayers seem to be one of our bad match ups as they grind us down and we struggle to get depravity points from then. Highlight was the exalted going in to a unit vulkites with the +1 damage spell from the realm of fire and taking out the whole unit in one hit. Major kiss to me but 900 kpts so a good tally against fyreslayers.

game 2 was against Ian and his bone splitters in places of arcane power. First couple of turns were very cagey with me winning priority and giving it to him as he was too far away to do major damage and we traded a few units manic boar boys for seekers and so nearly the chaos sorcerer lord. Managed to put the manticore on a point for 1 turn before a hand of gork on the big stabbas killed him. I attacked hard in turn 2 with a summoned keeper as well (40 odd depravity points in the first few turns)  then the big roll of for turn 3 whoever won would win and table the other. I got it and that was game over with a major win and 2000kps. Ian was a gent once again and it all went down to that one roll he then proceeded to win best in alliance for his kp tally. Bone splitters are hard work as they are perfect at killing monsters and small squishy things ie the whole slaanesh army.

game 3 was against Francis and his mixed order list which included a general on griffon a helstorm 10 protectors with a vexilla to teleport khineri 40 swordsmen a loremaster and a few other bits in scorched earth. I went for a turn 1 strike on the swordsmen with the keeper and to put the pressure on his line with the seekers as well and used the rest of the army as a second wave. This kind of work but with all but 6 of the swordsmen killed but he got the double turn and the griffon came in and killed the keeper and the protectors teleported and charged the chariot and the daemonettes causing a few wounds but not enough to put them below 20 and some bad rolling with the starsouls meant the chariot survived as well. My turn I managed to retreat the chariot and daemonettes and summoned 5 more seekers to charge onto his objective and managed to burn both but only scored a point in each. This game involved all of the objectives being burnt I rolled 3 1 s and he rolled 2 1s and a 3, but crucially I managed to burn his early which meant he was struggling to score and managed to get a major and another 1000pts.

game 4 was against my club mate Matt with his disciples of Tzeentch  which included LoC 6 skyfires and 6 enlightened the scenario was total commitment so we both had to split our forces quite a bit. Matt took the first turn and sent the skyfires and enlightened after the daemonettes and keeper. He shot 7 wounds of her before using a double 6 to charge the skyfires into the keeper and the daemonettes  and the enlightened into the  daemonettes, knowing that I was going to lose the keeper I spent the command point to make the daemonettes attack twice and that was critical. as predicted the skyfires took out the keeper and then the daemonettes piled in twice on the enlightened which took them down to 2 models . In my turn I cleaned up the enlightened took the skyfires down to turn and had a unit of daemonettes on his objective killing pink horrors with the chariot in support. I won the priority and the game was over as I had just done too much damage to his main units, the double piling in on the daemonettes caught him off guard so won’t be able to play that again. Another major win and 2000kps.

game 5 was against mike and his stormcast at border patrol his army was a mix of judicators 10 retibutors a teleport hero fulminators lord on Dracoth with staunch defender a few other heroes and a ballista. This was a perfect match up for me as I let him go first so he dropped on the objectives with the retributors and hero and moved up the dracoths on the other one. A bit of shooting killed a few daemonettes and then the retributors failed their charge.  My turn one was nasty the keeper and the seekers went for the dracoths, the daemonettes chariot and helstriders went for the retributors and ballista. The middle unit of daemonettes rolled a 6 for their run so went straight for his home objective with 2x5judicators and a unit of liberator on them. Everything charged the keeper piled in twice on the dracoths  and the daemonettes on his objective piled in twice as well. The keeper did 8 wounds to the fulminators and 6to the dracoth lord before the daemonettes on his objective took off the unit of liberators and then a unit of judicators. The othe daemonettes had tagged the retributors on their side so the chariot took all the damaged before the daemonettes took off 3 of them. This gave me the full 9 points and mike seriously on the back foot. I then proceeded to get the double and it was over as a contest mike put pressure on my objective on my home objective at one point but a summoned unit of 20 daemonettes made their 8 inch charge and made short work of the remaining retributors. Another major win and 2000kps to me.

This put me 14th out of 94th so a respectable result and a few sports votes could of put me up to 6th but it was a good result for the army and it definitely has the potential to podium a tournament. The mortal wound change to depravity has made a big difference though and getting no where near to what I have been. Also I was the only slaanesh player (where is everybody) and managed to get a painting nomination in a tough field which made the weekend for me.

Edited by Tzeentchmike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tzeentchmike said:

So last weekend was blackout at firestorm games, 5 games using realm rules which were provided by the TO. I took the following list 

Seeker host

exalted keeper with invigorated by pain and dimensional blade for -3 rend

herald on exalted chariot

chaos sorcerer lord

chaos sorcerer lord on manticore

2x 30 daemonettes

2x 5 helstiders with icon of excess

10 seekers of slaanesh

which put me at 1940 for a triumph and an extra command point

First game was against Karl and his fyreslayers in the realm of fire at shifting objectives. Karl list meant that he could stack +1s to priority once a game so he used  this to virtually guarantee going first in the second turn. This game was an uphill struggle from the start due to the ward saves and rerollable saves and was then compounded by him rolling a 6 every time for his runes. Hearth guard berzerkers with 2 attacks are nasty. Managed to stay in the game till the last turn priority roll which I lost and could not catch up then. Fyreslayers seem to be one of our bad match ups as they grind us down and we struggle to get depravity points from then. Highlight was the exalted going in to a unit vulkites with the +1 damage spell from the realm of fire and taking out the whole unit in one hit. Major kiss to me but 900 kpts so a good tally against fyreslayers.

game 2 was against Ian and his bone splitters in places of arcane power. First couple of turns were very cagey with me winning priority and giving it to him as he was too far away to do major damage and we traded a few units manic boar boys for seekers and so nearly the chaos sorcerer lord. Managed to put the manticore on a point for 1 turn before a hand of gork on the big stabbas killed him. I attacked hard in turn 2 with a summoned keeper as well (40 odd depravity points in the first few turns)  then the big roll of for turn 3 whoever won would win and table the other. I got it and that was game over with a major win and 2000kps. Ian was a gent once again and it all went down to that one roll he then proceeded to win best in alliance for his kp tally. Bone splitters are hard work as they are perfect at killing monsters and small squishy things ie the whole slaanesh army.

game 3 was against Francis and his mixed order list which included a general on griffon a helstorm 10 protectors with a vexilla to teleport khineri 40 swordsmen a loremaster and a few other bits in scorched earth. I went for a turn 1 strike on the swordsmen with the keeper and to put the pressure on his line with the seekers as well and used the rest of the army as a second wave. This kind of work but with all but 6 of the swordsmen killed but he got the double turn and the griffon came in and killed the keeper and the protectors teleported and charged the chariot and the daemonettes causing a few wounds but not enough to put them below 20 and some bad rolling with the starsouls meant the chariot survived as well. My turn I managed to retreat the chariot and daemonettes and summoned 5 more seekers to charge onto his objective and managed to burn both but only scored a point in each. This game involved all of the objectives being burnt I rolled 3 1 s and he rolled 2 1s and a 3, but crucially I managed to burn his early which meant he was struggling to score and managed to get a major and another 1000pts.

game 4 was against my club mate Matt with his disciples of Tzeentch  which included LoC 6 skyfires and 6 enlightened the scenario was total commitment so we both had to split our forces quite a bit. Matt took the first turn and sent the skyfires and enlightened after the daemonettes and keeper. He shot 7 wounds of her before using a double 6 to charge the skyfires into the keeper and the daemonettes  and the enlightened into the  daemonettes, knowing that I was going to lose the keeper I spent the command point to make the daemonettes attack twice and that was critical. as predicted the skyfires took out the keeper and then the daemonettes piled in twice on the enlightened which took them down to 2 models . In my turn I cleaned up the enlightened took the skyfires down to turn and had a unit of daemonettes on his objective killing pink horrors with the chariot in support. I won the priority and the game was over as I had just done too much damage to his main units, the double piling in on the daemonettes caught him off guard so won’t be able to play that again. Another major win and 2000kps.

game 5 was against mike and his stormcast at border patrol his army was a mix of judicators 10 retibutors a teleport hero fulminators lord on Dracoth with staunch defender a few other heroes and a ballista. This was a perfect match up for me as I let him go first so he dropped on the objectives with the retributors and hero and moved up the dracoths on the other one. A bit of shooting killed a few daemonettes and then the retributors failed their charge.  My turn one was nasty the keeper and the seekers went for the dracoths, the daemonettes chariot and helstriders went for the retributors and ballista. The middle unit of daemonettes rolled a 6 for their run so went straight for his home objective with 2x5judicators and a unit of liberator on them. Everything charged the keeper piled in twice on the dracoths  and the daemonettes on his objective piled in twice as well. The keeper did 8 wounds to the fulminators and 6to the dracoth lord before the daemonettes on his objective took off the unit of liberators and then a unit of judicators. The othe daemonettes had tagged the retributors on their side so the chariot took all the damaged before the daemonettes took off 3 of them. This gave me the full 9 points and mike seriously on the back foot. I then proceeded to get the double and it was over as a contest mike put pressure on my objective on my home objective at one point but a summoned unit of 20 daemonettes made their 8 inch charge and made short work of the remaining retributors. Another major win and 2000kps to me.

This put me 14th out of 94th so a respectable result and a few sports votes could of put me up to 6th but it was a good result for the army and it definitely has the potential to podium a tournament. The mortal wound change to depravity has made a big difference though and getting no where near to what I have been. Also I was the only slaanesh player (where is everybody) and managed to get a painting nomination in a tough field which made the weekend for me.

Congratulations! Sounds like it went really well :D

Shame you were the only Slaanesh player there - I'm hoping we get an influx into the hosts when we get our release and book. I feel that the lack of Slaanesh players mean they don't reach their full potential in more tournaments - after all, more players means more chances to place high and more discussion. At least you've proved that they can do very well!

---

Kind of unrelated, but when we do get our book, do you guys reckon that the hosts will be expanded to include multiple benefits per host? While I reckon that our current abilities are good, I think they're a bit lacking when compared to other armies (including some GHB armies) because we get 1 of 3, whereas most armies get all of their allegiance abilities. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Congratulations! Sounds like it went really well :D

Shame you were the only Slaanesh player there - I'm hoping we get an influx into the hosts when we get our release and book. I feel that the lack of Slaanesh players mean they don't reach their full potential in more tournaments - after all, more players means more chances to place high and more discussion. At least you've proved that they can do very well!

---

Kind of unrelated, but when we do get our book, do you guys reckon that the hosts will be expanded to include multiple benefits per host? While I reckon that our current abilities are good, I think they're a bit lacking when compared to other armies (including some GHB armies) because we get 1 of 3, whereas most armies get all of their allegiance abilities. 

Cheers I would like to think they would expand on them like chapters, but for me just formations, a spell lore and a useable keeper of secrets would be worth it 

• Like 1

Considering Slaanesh get depravity point summoning on top of host abilities I think they are doing fine. When the book drops I would expect some more artifact tables, maybe a mortal and daemon split like the other chaos factions, and maybe a spell lore.  That would flesh them out nicely.