AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

32 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

It'll be nice if we end up getting locked in to an artifact for any reason (hosts or whatnot) you can just straight Kobe the trash artifact for a better buff. 

"You don't like the artifact you got stuck with after selecting your host? Did you used a one time item and now you have a useless trinket? Fear not! Take it to Slaanesh Recycling Centre and we will give it a new use! Also, here you go, have some rerolls for the trouble."

Also, the mirror sounds really fun. I love that this army has the concept of "Would you kindly do this thing that you don't want to or perhaps you would be interested in having some Mortal Wounds. Your choice *winky face*"

• Haha 3

If it is all movement. That pairs really well with the character Keeper’s temptation ability. Either they charge and take mortal wounds from moving away from the mirror, or don’t and take mortal wounds for denying the temptation.

22 minutes ago, Aenjul said:

If it is all movement. That pairs really well with the character Keeper’s temptation ability. Either they charge and take mortal wounds from moving away from the mirror, or don’t and take mortal wounds for denying the temptation.

Another reason we would want calrification on move. A lot of whta they have shown has examples and clarifications in what they do. So it is odd that they used such broad term as move there multiple phases and reasons a move could happen. Even targeting unit with the brayshaman spell forces them to move another d3 mortal wounds.

Edited by Poryague

Doesn't really need a clarification at the moment. The rules for movement spell out that when you move a model it's a move and that this can be in the movement phase, the charge phase or the combat phase or other abilities might allow a model to make a move. It does then go on to talk about normal moves and these are the moves in the movement phase and uses the term "normal move" for the rest of those rules. With the ability just using the term "move" though and not "normal move" or "charge move" it would be all movement. They can change it later of course but for now it would be any movement will trigger the ability if the unit starts within 12" of the spell.

1 minute ago, Undeadly said:

Has anyone confirmed the rumor that the Lord on Daemonic mount is being removed? I really adore that model.

He's not specifically being removed, he just doesn't get a warscroll in the book. It is confirmed. This likely means he is being removed, but it could also remain as an alternative to a Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount... 

... but yeah, he's probably gone.

9 minutes ago, carnith said:

Something to note. A beasts of chaos depraved drove can take these spells still in a BoC army. Also our goat brethren can casts these

Is that right? I wouldn't think so. Don't you need to have the allegiance to take the spells. I know the battalion has both open to them, but you still choose your Allegiance in the end. Now if you are playing a slaanesh allegiance drove I know that works, but it sounds like you are planning to take a BoC allegiance army with a drove in it and use the spells. 

1 minute ago, kahadin said:

Is that right? I wouldn't think so. Don't you need to have the allegiance to take the spells. I know the battalion has both open to them, but you still choose your Allegiance in the end. Now if you are playing a slaanesh allegiance drove I know that works, but it sounds like you are planning to take a BoC allegiance army with a drove in it and use the spells. 

It technically only says Chaos Slaanesh Wizards, so any wizard from the battalion should be able to do so. On the other hand, if you go heavy BoC in a Slaanesh army you could do the same thing with their Endless spells. I say heavy because that way you wouldn't suffer the side effects. 

4 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

It technically only says Chaos Slaanesh Wizards, so any wizard from the battalion should be able to do so. On the other hand, if you go heavy BoC in a Slaanesh army you could do the same thing with their Endless spells. I say heavy because that way you wouldn't suffer the side effects. 

you only gain access to their respective spell lores if you are their allegiance. If your allegiance is BoC then you don't get the hedonites spell lore, because you are not a hedonites army, even with the depraved drove as you still have to choose your army allegiance at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

you only gain access to their respective spell lores if you are their allegiance. If your allegiance is BoC then you don't get the hedonites spell lore, because you are not a hedonites army, even with the depraved drove as you still have to choose your army allegiance at the end of the day.

I know, I know, but I think they were talking about Endless Spells and that should be ok, right?

20 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Has anyone confirmed the rumor that the Lord on Daemonic mount is being removed? I really adore that model.

The Twitch video confirmed that the Lord on foot and Lord on Mount are not in the new book and as the new book covers "all the models in production" it is very likely both will be removed from sale. Note that the comments about using it as a stand in for a Slaves to Darkness lord with a mark of Slaanesh were not given context - it could be purely there for those who already have the model (or buy one before it goes out of stock now) in giving them an avenue to use an "old model".

I suspect they will be removed; if they've no reason to be kept around and are both older material (metal/finecast) then GW has more interest in losing than keeping them. So if you want one I would get it right now because the prices will only go up once the GW supply is gone. 

1 minute ago, Izotzuhure said:

I know, I know, but I think they were talking about Endless Spells and that should be ok, right?

Allegiance locked I'd think, but idk we don't exactly have many situations with armies using other armies endless spells outside of nagash and the nighthaunt spells and that's because it's explicitly stated he can cast them.

So lets say the mirror is a 100 points and applies the d3 to any move. The heroes risk the move damage plus the hero specific damage. Would this make 100 point spell? This could trigger in both turns possibly multiple times. 

Also with the objectives that require a hero put the mirror next to them. They sit there and risk the chance of instant death. Move away and take d3 possibly moving off the objective for you to just walk on uncontested.

There seems to be a lot of way to make your opponent make decisions that cause mortal wounds if not outright killing somethings. Temptation all over the place.

Edited by Poryague

7 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Allegiance locked I'd think, but idk we don't exactly have many situations with armies using other armies endless spells outside of nagash and the nighthaunt spells and that's because it's explicitly stated he can cast them.

There is no indication that these are allegiance locked. They can be cast by CHAOS SLAANESH wizards. Great Bray Shamans and Dragon Ogor Shaggoths in a Depraved Drove Battalion are CHAOS SLAANESH wizards regardless of what allegiance they are. Similarly, Great Bray Shamans and Dragon Ogor Shaggoths in a Depraved Drove Battalion taken in a Slaanesh allegiance are still BEASTS OF CHAOS wizards, and can cast Beasts of Chaos endless spells outside of Beasts of Chaos allegiance.

15 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

This is correct, you don't have to be a specific faction to purchase the Endless Spells of another faction you just can't cast them because of keyword concerns but since Depraved Drove Beastmen are still CHAOS SLAANESH even when playing a BoC allegiance they can cast the spells. 

So question with mirror. 

If you charge a unit and lock them in combat and have casted the mirror behind them. Would they take damage in the movement phase unless they retreat? If they choose to not pile in, would they take mortal wounds as they can’t pile in closer to the mirror? What if you placed the mirror by a unit and they decided to charge, would take mortal wounds unless that charge was closer to the mirror?

26 minutes ago, Poryague said:

So lets say the mirror is a 100 points and applies the d3 to any move. The heroes risk the move damage plus the hero specific damage. Would this make 100 point spell? This could trigger in both turns possibly multiple times. 

Also with the objectives that require a hero put the mirror next to them. They sit there and risk the chance of instant death. Move away and take d3 possibly moving off the objective for you to just walk on uncontested.

There seems to be a lot of way to make your opponent make decisions that cause mortal wounds if not outright killing somethings. Temptation all over the place.

I would say not worth at 100. The biggest weakness is the fact that most of the damage comes in the enemy turn and the low casting value of the spell. Most armies can dispel it easily enough, so the d3s will be pretty rare. There's the edge case of casting it behind a unit already in combat and getting damage on the pile in, but that'll be hard to pull off. The only guaranteed part is the hero damage but it's so variable and short ranged that it isn't likely to work either. I'd say 60 would make it worthwhile.

I just want to point out that things said on the stream are not confirmation, as we recently learned. (Had reinforced) Also, things printed in the book aren't really confirmed either. (Except for the short time between release and FAQ).  Just something to keep in mind before purchases.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SwampHeart said:

This is correct, you don't have to be a specific faction to purchase the Endless Spells of another faction you just can't cast them because of keyword concerns but since Depraved Drove Beastmen are still CHAOS SLAANESH even when playing a BoC allegiance they can cast the spells. 

So the closest thing I have for how this works is judgements for blades of khorne. It states that khorne priests in a khorne army can cast them. This means you need to be the khorne Allegiance. This a prayer and not a spell, but I'll bet that in the battletome it will state that a slaanesh Wizard in a slaanesh army can cast the endless spells. Does anyone have another bt that states how they work. If they work so that all you need are the keywords I can just put a bray shaman in my khorbe army and get all the beasts of chaos endless spells. Or take archaon in my khorne army and cast the slaa esh endless spells.

9 minutes ago, kahadin said:

I can just put a bray shaman in my khorbe army and get all the beasts of chaos endless spells. Or take archaon in my khorne army and cast the slaa esh endless spells.

These are both correct - one of the popular order armies is Phoenix Temple that take a Stormcast wizard to cast the SCE Comet endless spell. This isn't a debatable subject, it is how the rules are written. Much the same as you could take a Verminlord Corruptor in a Maggotkin army and use Skaven endless spells. The spells specifically state who can cast them and as long as you pay the points to take them and have a wizard able to cast them you can do so. They are not  tied to allegiance at all. 

The Khorne book is the only book so far (Fyreslayers too maybe) that have a special section for their specific endless spells (prayers). 

Edited by SwampHeart
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kahadin said:

My mind is blown. That opens up a lot of options Ive never considered.

I've been surprised for awhile with the FEC issue that more Chaos lists aren't allying in a Great Bray Shaman and taking the bull. Its a 200 point investment but with the new rage being weird activations it may be worth it.