AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well Hellstriders being broken into two separate units doesnt bode too well for that warscroll.  Funny that the boob snake lord will not be in the book... perhaps our only way to get the double pile-in now if the keeper's command ability has changed.  Also on the stream he basically tried to avoid the topic of the new forgeworld Exalted keeper warscroll but hinted that it had been nerfed into the ground and looked a little embarrassed by its mere mention.  Still looking forward to see what the shakeup ends up looking like

I think double pile in is gone.

I am excited to see the new strider warscrolls. I can see a heavy armor and light armor variant coming out of the kit. I keep taking about it, but I'll repeat that have high hopes for slaaneah knights.

I think they could get the demon keyword, so if double pile in survives they might get it.

I still really believe we are getting a whole new army. It will likely have the same style, but I doubt if many of the old rules will make it in

The hellstriders split may not be bad IF they did it correctly. Its possible they got some interesting rules to make each distinct and hopefully updated statline so they dont hit like a pillow. Hopefully the -1 hit aurora stayed one of them.

Any chance of some quick advice? I'm looking to make Slaanesh my next AoS army and I have the Slaanesh half of Wrath and Rapture. Am I better off picking up another of those boxes while they're still available and selling the Khorne half, or is the start collecting box a better bet to fill out the basics?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Battlebeard said:

Any chance of some quick advice? I'm looking to make Slaanesh my next AoS army and I have the Slaanesh half of Wrath and Rapture. Am I better off picking up another of those boxes while they're still available and selling the Khorne half, or is the start collecting box a better bet to fill out the basics?

Thanks!

I'd say get another wrath and rapture if you can - the discount price is going to be pretty good on the models and they are all pretty core to the army. Deamonettes and Seekers are core whilst the rapturess is a good solid leader adn fiends are a powerful demonic unit that you can always do with more of. 

The getting started set is very good as well of course, but its not going anywhere so you can pick them up as and when you want; Wrath and Rapture is likely to start vanishing now that the fiends and rapturess are going to be sold on their own 

1 hour ago, Rob Ellis said:

I have a theory about the lack of mortals in the book. I think we might see the return of the “Cult of Slaanesh” army based around the upcoming Aelf storyline...

That and they may overhaul slaves to darkness/everchosen soon. I think there may be a Nighthaunt scenario where pure Darkoath may not have marks, but I'd imagine everything that can have marks right now will still do.

3 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

No - the Ynnari follow the god of the dead and encompass all the factions of Eldar. They're even more anti-slaanesh than usual Eldar. 

Also one has the hots for Papa Smurf!

Edited by kenshin620
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shinros said:

Also on the terrain piece and spells, I blame them for the reason why some factions dont get new models. 

That's now the design/production process. They do the terrain/spells because they're produced in China and thus don't take up room in the main line. They are effectively 'free' products from a design capital stand point. It allows GW to release some kind of model for every release as they get everyone to 2.0 readiness without having to drag out the lead time for years. I know you've said you'd be willing to wait for updates - I (and anecdotally my gaming group) are not. I don't want to have to play with a trash army without proper AoS rules while I wait for a glacial release pattern. 

29 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

No - the Ynnari follow the god of the dead and encompass all the factions of Eldar. They're even more anti-slaanesh than usual Eldar. 

You're right, I found this image of the Ynarri avatar. Totally not slaaneshi. Very anti-slaanesh. Its claiming eldar souls to keep them from slaanesh... Instead of those soul stones that worked so well.

442px-YncarneArt.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kahadin said:

You're right, I found this image of the Ynarri avatar. Totally not slaaneshi. Very anti-slaanesh. Its claiming eldar souls to keep them from slaanesh... Instead of those soul stones that worked so well.

442px-YncarneArt.jpg

Also remember that Eldar are just the space analog of High Elves. In High Elf lore, they also foretold of a god of death that would rise once all elves were dead, and it would be the embodiment of all those souls in a single being. Then it would lay waste to all their enemies, the ruinous powers included.

Obviously never came to pass, but it seems they adapted some of that to 40k.

Edited by AverageBoss

I find it helps to prepare for a worse case scenario for new battletomes; not only do you often find yourself pleasantly surprised, if anything does happen, you're already ready. 

So, I reckon some of the worst case (but still somewhat realistic) scenarios we'll see are: 

- lose the ability to double pile in 

- lose our large number of -1s to hit

- lose our best command traits (e.g. devotee of torment) 

- have no replacement rule for what the daemonettes lost 

- have the depravity table be much much more expensive 

- have a large points increase to everything, especially the KoS which isn't *that* much better than it was 

- the KoS keeps is awful spell (okay, not as bad as the others but would be sad)

I can't think of anything else that's likely to happen and bad besides the above (and it may not all happen). To be honest, I think we'll keep the command ability in some form as well as the spell. 

However, even with all of these terrible changes, I still think we would have the potential to be really strong:

- we may not have a double pile in, but always strike last means we can safely put more units into one enemy unit without worrying one will be wiped out before their activation

- even if we lose our -1s, striking first means we'll need them less for defense as the enemy should be mostly thinned when they can attack 

- we may well have better command traits to choose from, and our heroes got a free breathtaker attached to them. Our command traits were really good, but they may well get even better now they have more focus

- daemonettes are already very very strong, they don't need a replacement rule

- while I expect depravity costs to increase, our new KoS has more wounds and there are loads and loads of ways to get more depravity, including spells (so Hysterical Frenzy will be insane on 2 wound hordes) 

- we don't know what else it can do, but even if it can't do anything else (which it most certainly can) it's still a 14 wound beatstick that can cast two spells (one of which just shuts LoN down). Would be a shame to see it over 350, but I feel it will be less

- awful native spells aside, apparently we have an infinite cast spell and an entire spell lore to choose from, not to mention endless spells 

Hope this helped ease any fears people may have of nerfs coming our way :)

• Sad 1

I realise you are looking at worst case but i would be surprised if we lose the double pile in given that FEC can o a mix of Strike First, Double Pile In and fight even if previously killed.

But I think you are wise to suggest we manage our expectations. 

44 minutes ago, Souleater said:

I realise you are looking at worst case but i would be surprised if we lose the double pile in given that FEC can o a mix of Strike First, Double Pile In and fight even if previously killed.

But I think you are wise to suggest we manage our expectations. 

Yeah, I would be surprised if we lost the double pile in too, but just in case, I think we'll still be fine :) After all, we have become much better at spellcasting and we may have some awesome spells.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

- have no replacement rule for what the daemonettes lost 

- daemonettes are already very very strong, they don't need a replacement rule

What did they lost?

I guess devotee of torment will stay in diffrent form.

E.g. pile in 6" when you are 3" from enemy

13 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I don't think bullgors and bestigor count as battleline outside of boc, just gors and ungors. Still ungor raiders that hit twice on 6's might be nice

oh but they do :)

you take the Depraved Drove battalion within the BOC book which gives them the god keyword and then they can fulfill all the requirements of the god specific army.  Yes you pay for the privilege, but it allows you to legitimately take them in your army without having to have them as allies.

What you won't get however, is them taking allegience abilities or artefacts from beasts or hedonites if they include the word daemon or mortal as the beasts don't have these keywords.

8 minutes ago, azmodan said:

What did they lost?

They 'lost' their extra attack ability (and regained it as an allegiance ability so not really a loss) and may not get a replacement. They almost certainly lost the rerolling 1s considering what has been said on every community article (how abilities that reroll 1s will be very useful on daemonettes).   

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

oh but they do :)

you take the Depraved Drove battalion within the BOC book which gives them the god keyword and then they can fulfill all the requirements of the god specific army.  Yes you pay for the privilege, but it allows you to legitimately take them in your army without having to have them as allies.

What you won't get however, is them taking allegience abilities or artefacts from beasts or hedonites if they include the word daemon or mortal as the beasts don't have these keywords.

They don't count as battleline though because that requires your allegiance to be Beasts and it's not, it's Slaanesh.

I expected to lose Devotee of Torment but after finding out that Squigs can get it with a Battalion i'm not so sure now. It's only one model with it after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, firebat said:

They don't count as battleline though because that requires your allegiance to be Beasts and it's not, it's Slaanesh.

I expected to lose Devotee of Torment but after finding out that Squigs can get it with a Battalion i'm not so sure now. It's only one model with it after all.

The squig battalion that gives it is a pretty big one. It has the other squig battalion as a component, so it's pretty limiting. Plus the pile in boost is only under the bad moon, so it's nowhere near certain (it literally might never apply).