AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

There's a definite disconnect between khorne fluff and khorne in the game. They're both well defined, but they don't really match. The fluff has khorne's followers constantly backstabbing and killing eachother for the slightest chance to get ahead.

Orcs and Goblins had Animosty

Literally everyone hated that rule.

"Hey you rolled bad. Your guys do nothing for a turn! Isn't random chance fun!"

The temptation mechanic thing seems to be getting complaints. Apparently choosing between d3 mw (d3 dp) or having your hero explode on 50/50 next combat phase is a problem and with that combat ability. Oh and the fact there is an 84% chance there units already fighting last.

They also dont like shalaxi hellbanes one either because being force to charge or take d3 mw and maybe fight last is mean.

1 minute ago, Poryague said:

The temptation mechanic thing seems to be getting complaints. Apparently choosing between d3 mw (d3 dp) or having your hero explode on 50/50 next combat phase is a problem and with that combat ability. Oh and the fact there is an 84% chance there units already fighting last.

They also dont like shalaxi hellbanes one either because being force to charge or take d3 mw and maybe fight last is mean.

I feel every army in existence gets complaints when it's new as the full story isn't shown. I mean, look at BCR; if they were new, people would be up in arms at the 2+ 6MW but they're overall pretty weak.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Orcs and Goblins had Animosty

Literally everyone hated that rule.

"Hey you rolled bad. Your guys do nothing for a turn! Isn't random chance fun!"

Oh yeah, that rule was awful. Couldn't tell you how many times my savage orc boar boy big'uns just froze before a perfect charge haha. There are better ways to do things though, like not having rules that incentivize units to get close to something that apparently murders anything in arm's reach. But this is a slaanesh thread so maybe not the best place to discuss it, and besides it wouldn't matter since the book is here and there won't be a change anytime soon. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I feel every army in existence gets complaints when it's new as the full story isn't shown. I mean, look at BCR; if they were new, people would be up in arms at the 2+ 6MW but they're overall pretty weak.  

It seems  that something bad happens either way is the complaint. Though the d3 is less punishing then instant death on 4+. Its not hard if you are attacking last anyways and probably going to die take the +1 to hit so in the event you live you got something out of it because you next turn your dead anyways. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Before when there was no penalty for denying the temptations hardly anyone accepted the gift of Slaanesh. And I would almost never even bother to bring up the rule. Then the exalted came along and you didn't get a choice, but it only triggered on a 6, and I've only seen it happen once or twice. Now that there is a real choice between 1d3 mortal wounds and +1 to hit, but dying on a 4+, I really like the rule. It actually feels like there is a real tactical choice to be made between offering and accepting/denying. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Poryague said:

It seems  that something bad happens either way is the complaint. Though the d3 is less punishing then instant death on 4+. Its not hard if you are attacking last anyways and probably going to die take the +1 to hit so in the event you live you got something out of it because you next turn your dead anyways. 

"Why is there no positive side to my models being shot in the face with a cannon!!!"

• Haha 1

You know I'm trying to think of some mortal lists. Anyone think  Flail Marauders with a Chaos Lord on Slaanesh Mount may actually be an interesting (albeit unreliable) Chaff Hammer? Double Pile In and Attacks and each Marauder has possibility of tripling their attacks with decent chances to wound. It's no Plague Monks but seems interesting.

10 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

You know I'm trying to think of some mortal lists. Anyone think  Flail Marauders with a Chaos Lord on Slaanesh Mount may actually be an interesting (albeit unreliable) Chaff Hammer? Double Pile In and Attacks and each Marauder has possibility of tripling their attacks with decent chances to wound. It's no Plague Monks but seems interesting.

It depends if he keeps his command ability. The lord on foot is probably getting a new command ability as his is extra attacks on 6+.  We could get some upgrades that push them further. 

Edited by Poryague

4 hours ago, Poryague said:

It depends if he keeps his command ability. The lord on foot is probably getting a new command ability as his is extra attacks on 6+.  We could get some upgrades that push them further. 

I think the lord on foot is straight up dead. They are no longer selling the model.

As for the mortals I think we need to see the book. The previews make me thing everything is changing, so it is too early to get excited.

That said I love using 40 man marauder squads for Holding ground. The shrine of slaanesh makes them fearless and they previewed some stuff too. I've been using them with flails for some time and they are pretty decent when their bonus to hit procs. The 6 to hit = 3 hits will be a nice bonus for them too.

6 hours ago, Poryague said:

It is worth to buy the model, just to use this ability.

And be like "Come at me bro!!" :D

6 hours ago, LordRogalDorn said:

Before when there was no penalty for denying the temptations hardly anyone accepted the gift of Slaanesh. And I would almost never even bother to bring up the rule. Then the exalted came along and you didn't get a choice, but it only triggered on a 6, and I've only seen it happen once or twice. Now that there is a real choice between 1d3 mortal wounds and +1 to hit, but dying on a 4+, I really like the rule. It actually feels like there is a real tactical choice to be made between offering and accepting/denying. 

I think it's a really clever rule tbh. It's a harsh risk either way; I really like abilities where both players have to think - much more fun than straight damage. Really glad they changed the temptation ability to something worthwhile and fun. 

So long as it's not unique/really expensive, the epitome may be a crucial piece if we have good spells. Hysterical frenzy is great, but there'll likely be another 5 daemon spells and at least a couple of them will be good. It's also almost immune to mortal wounds  so, if it has a shooting attack (though it may not) or even just decent melee attacks it is likely a good fane target (assuming it's near the back). 

12 hours ago, carnith said:

The nice thing is the depraved drove will fit right in as you can just take some bestigors who will love our extra hits, take daemon prince bro and give them all immunity to battleshock

I really like the idea of taking the DD, but not so keen on the battleline models you have to take that wouldn’t count as Slaanesh battleline. What would you take in one? Maybe even a Cygor for anti-magic overkill?

If the fane is as we think, the rerolls are actually better than I first realised. I kind of touched upon it, but to reiterate, it's not just for alpha striking. 

Imagine two scenarios:

1) You go first. You use the fane on your keeper and it likely goes off (gain some depravity as well). Cast your spells and use your command abilities amongst other things. Move up, but even if you can't reach them, stand out in the open along with supporting units (so long as there's no super brutal shooting). Your opponents turn comes and you get charged, and you likely strike first, getting all of your rerolls. 

2) You go second. As before, but you can likely charge them yourself now with your rerolls and other buffs. You don't need to worry about a double turn as your buffs are sticking around until your next hero phase and you spit in the face of combat priority.   

Even if it only happens once, it could mean rerolling hits for three combat phases.

24 minutes ago, Enoby said:

If the fane is as we think, the rerolls are actually better than I first realised. I kind of touched upon it, but to reiterate, it's not just for alpha striking. 

Imagine two scenarios:

1) You go first. You use the fane on your keeper and it likely goes off (gain some depravity as well). Cast your spells and use your command abilities amongst other things. Move up, but even if you can't reach them, stand out in the open along with supporting units (so long as there's no super brutal shooting). Your opponents turn comes and you get charged, and you likely strike first, getting all of your rerolls. 

2) You go second. As before, but you can likely charge them yourself now with your rerolls and other buffs. You don't need to worry about a double turn as your buffs are sticking around until your next hero phase and you spit in the face of combat priority.   

Even if it only happens once, it could mean rerolling hits for three combat phases.

During the turn priority roll into round 2 if you win the roll depending on what happining you may want to go second to keep buffs rolling. Especially now that if your in combat or get charged you can still possibly go first in combat anyways. That and controls some endless spells dependong if there are any worth while. That ability to go first in combats makes taking second less painfull just gotta keep in mind enemy shooting and magic ability.  Comabt where we can force a unit to go last also means enemies got to be super careful not to drag in multiple units and potentialy get hit by 2+ units before they even gets to attack. 

7 minutes ago, Poryague said:

During the turn priority roll into round 2 if you win the roll depending on what happining you may want to go second to keep buffs rolling. Especially now that if your in combat or get charged you can still possibly go first in combat anyways. That and controls some endless spells dependong if there are any worth while. That ability to go first in combats makes taking second less painfull just gotta keep in mind enemy shooting and magic ability.  Comabt where we can force a unit to go last also means enemies got to be super careful not to drag in multiple units and potentialy get hit by 2+ units before they even gets to attack. 

Exactly. I mean, stick your keeper and a unit of 30 daemonettes next to each other on a centre objective and see if anyone dares charge them. Assuming the KoS is 330 and the daemonettes are 270 for 30, you can afford two lots of these murder pools for 1200. There is very little in the game that could beat these at close combat.  

3 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Exactly. I mean, stick your keeper and a unit of 30 daemonettes next to each other on a centre objective and see if anyone dares charge them. Assuming the KoS is 330 and the daemonettes are 270 for 30, you can afford two lots of these murder pools for 1200. There is very little in the game that could beat these at close combat.  

If they lack any reliable shooting or magic that will suck. Its looking like slaanesh magic can be good.  The infernal enrapturess can be a great sniper. Then its possible a 3rd or 4th murder ball could be running around as well. I was thinking since dp and model points are corelleted at about 60 points to 6 dp. The dp increas may only go up because model points went up. The army is mostly super glass and outside stacking certain debuffs with specific units we are going to die in droves. It could be some defense comes from summoning unless there is defence mechanics we havent seen yet so we can make something somewhat survivable.

17 minutes ago, Poryague said:

If they lack any reliable shooting or magic that will suck. Its looking like slaanesh magic can be good.  The infernal enrapturess can be a great sniper. Then its possible a 3rd or 4th murder ball could be running around as well. I was thinking since dp and model points are corelleted at about 60 points to 6 dp. The dp increas may only go up because model points went up. The army is mostly super glass and outside stacking certain debuffs with specific units we are going to die in droves. It could be some defense comes from summoning unless there is defence mechanics we havent seen yet so we can make something somewhat survivable.

I think our best defence is murdering the offence 😛 the debuffs, I've found, are a good last ditch effort if we don't manage to kill everyone first. But one KoS and 30 daemonettes should manage that just fine. 

I wonder if we'll have a KoS focussed battalion - or even battalions focussed on the hosts. 

3 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think our best defence is murdering the offence 😛 the debuffs, I've found, are a good last ditch effort if we don't manage to kill everyone first. But one KoS and 30 daemonettes should manage that just fine. 

I wonder if we'll have a KoS focussed battalion - or even battalions focussed on the hosts. 

So far every god book has had a battalion with 3 greater daemons in it. Slaanesh will as well. Want to see what it does I do plan on buying 3 kos.