AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@shinros & @Enoby Yeah, they could look something like this ;) #ShamelessSelfPlug

So as you'll guess, I'd really, really, really feel they should go that direction. Not only does it match the mortal slaanesh heroes, a style that got me into this faction, but also little bits of history fit quite well. A tidbit I saw in a QI episode* spoke about a Spartan tradition that the warriors that expected to die, put on make up, shined their armour etc to look their best before battle. That inspired me to convert a mortal Slaanesh Force. But it sadly stalled a bit after getting to 1K. A new release would definitely get me excited to build it up. Just get a bit more lust in the lore than just sexual. Lust for battle, the experience of pain, the sensation of food (a great starting point for monster/hero hunters). The harp lady is a great example of it. 

IMG_9947.JPG.088b47a8a93496b6b59f3f92b46273c1.JPG.4b71ded80d3c361cf44c8114b09edf89.JPG

*Don't know if/how it survived the infamous half life of truth though ;) 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

@shinros & @Enoby Yeah, they could look something like this ;) #ShamelessSelfPlug

So as you'll guess, I'd really, really, really feel they should go that direction. Not only does it match the mortal slaanesh heroes, a style that got me into this faction, but also little bits of history fit quite well. A tidbit I saw in a QI episode* spoke about a Spartan tradition that the warriors that expected to die, put on make up, shined their armour etc to look their best before battle. That inspired me to convert a mortal Slaanesh Force. But it sadly stalled a bit after getting to 1K. A new release would definitely get me excited to build it up. Just get a bit more lust in the lore than just sexual. Lust for battle, the experience of pain, the sensation of food (a great starting point for monster/hero hunters). The harp lady is a great example of it. 

IMG_9947.JPG.088b47a8a93496b6b59f3f92b46273c1.JPG.4b71ded80d3c361cf44c8114b09edf89.JPG

*Don't know if/how it survived the infamous half life of truth though ;) 

I agree. I am also pretty much in the same boat at the moment, I am working on other projects until the release. But first I wanted to get the skin tone down, plus the battletome might reveal new schemes that I would like to use. Also your models look great. :) 

1 hour ago, shinros said:

I agree. I am also pretty much in the same boat at the moment, I am working on other projects until the release. But first I wanted to get the skin tone down, plus the battletome might reveal new schemes that I would like to use. Also your models look great. :) 

Thanks! Yeah I’m going to be all in if Slaanesh gets mortals. Here’s hoping. 

38 minutes ago, Bazakahuna said:

Only masochists would go bare-foot on lava. Very Slaanesh!

Haha yeah... didn’t really think that through but don’t have the skills to model sandals believe me I tried... but from now on it’s your explanation 😂

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

Allegiance: Slaanesh

Leaders
Exalted Greater Daemon of Slaanesh(440)
Herald Of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore(200)
Herald Of Slaanesh (60)
Herald Of Slaanesh (60)

Battleline
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear

Units
6 x Fiends Of Slaanesh (280)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

1 extra command points 

Monster hunters

Big blobs

Wizards

Alot of heroes for objectives

Depravity for days

Debuffs 

Could change 2 heralds for new hero model.

Is this something that could work?

8 hours ago, MeSmashDaNoobs said:

I like where your head is at.

You have any experience with how much depravity u should aim at? In other words

Is it worth to focus on summoning?

And how many points worth of heroes should you have minimum?

You need to strike a balance with Slaanesh. Our heroes are are not the best fighters, or suffer from low wounds. For example, a blood thirster costs about as much as a Keeper of secrets but has way more wounds that we do. We can't take a beating well. However, you can't just leave your heroes at home either, cause to summon you need a hero left alive. 

A lot of my 2k lists actually sees me max out on heroes. I usually bring 60 daemonettes, 10-15 hellstriders, a big group of a hammer unit (either fiends now or Chosen) and then heroes, which is typically my keeper of secrets, my 2 sorcerers, and then heralds.

21 minutes ago, carnith said:

You need to strike a balance with Slaanesh. Our heroes are are not the best fighters, or suffer from low wounds. For example, a blood thirster costs about as much as a Keeper of secrets but has way more wounds that we do. We can't take a beating well. However, you can't just leave your heroes at home either, cause to summon you need a hero left alive. 

A lot of my 2k lists actually sees me max out on heroes. I usually bring 60 daemonettes, 10-15 hellstriders, a big group of a hammer unit (either fiends now or Chosen) and then heroes, which is typically my keeper of secrets, my 2 sorcerers, and then heralds.

Including 2-3 60 point heralds on steeds of slaanesh is good value I find. They can move fast enough to keep up with fiends for their locus, you can hide one for keeping access to summoning if you are worried about losing your characters and they are the best depravity return point for point. For example, if you throw 3 heralds into an enemy unit for 180 points and they get munched you will earn 12 depravity points which will get you 2 enrapturesses worth 240 points. Any depravity they earn is gravy on top of this since you have netted a free extra 60 points of units your couldn't afford when building your army.

2 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

Including 2-3 60 point heralds on steeds of slaanesh is good value I find. They can move fast enough to keep up with fiends for their locus, you can hide one for keeping access to summoning if you are worried about losing your characters and they are the best depravity return point for point. For example, if you throw 3 heralds into an enemy unit for 180 points and they get munched you will earn 12 depravity points which will get you 2 enrapturesses worth 240 points. Any depravity they earn is gravy on top of this since you have netted a free extra 60 points of units your couldn't afford when building your army.

The one thing that puts me off heralds on steed is the risk that they'll be removed in our battletome as there is no proper kit for them (afaik, you have to use the chariot kit). I think it will go the way of the Necromancer's trusty steed :(

• Like 1

Just now, Enoby said:

The one thing that puts me off heralds on steed is the risk that they'll be removed in our battletome as there is no proper kit for them (afaik, you have to use the chariot kit). I think it will go the way of the Necromancer's trusty steed :(

more than likely yes. In the meantime since every start collecting box etc includes some seekers, and no one uses seekers, just use those as the heralds potentially. There will not be any confusion as long as you have no seekers in your army.

25 minutes ago, Rock Lobster said:

more than likely yes. In the meantime since every start collecting box etc includes some seekers, and no one uses seekers, just use those as the heralds potentially. There will not be any confusion as long as you have no seekers in your army.

Or a color swap can help. I use gold on my herald's armor and silver washed with purple for regular daemonettes. This helps keep a visual distinctness to who my heralds are. I plan to use a kit of seekers and give them all gold armor for them and their seeker to show who my heralds are.

Edited by carnith
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rock Lobster said:

Boom! Maths to the rescue! ;) But in all seriousness that's a very good argument & I never thought about it in that way! 

To add to the Slaanesh speculation topic, I really REALLY REALLY don’t want the army to focus on chaos-tainted Aelves.

It seems like the lazy choice that doesn’t really make much sense (as Morathi demonstrated, even Aelves who work for Slaanesh just end up as food anyway, so there’s no incentive to give into the Dark Prince). And when you think about it, the reason many mortals would turn to Slaanesh is that they desire grace, perfection and beauty, all inherently Aelven traits. Wouldn’t it be more interesting and make more sense if Slaanesh’s followers were mortals who wished they could be like Aelves?

There's just a lot more appeal for me in the idea of mortal followers. It's a Chaos god which doesn't need to coerce followers through war or disease but tempts the people of the mortal realms with the opportunity to seize pleasure and perfection. 

I'm all about the mortals, and there are so many great possibilities the army could explore. I want them to take the Helltrider aesthetic as a baseline and expand from there, with the units reflecting the dualism of Hysh and Ulgu Slaanesh represents.

More Hysh themed units would be resplendent, quicksilver paragons in gleaming plate, really embracing the ornate Greek look. The Ulgu themed contingent would visually harken to the sadomasochist aspects of Slaanesh: pierced skin, mutations and armour fused to the body. And here you've got an opportunity for divergent playstyle, with the armoured warriors being more survivable and CC damage dependent while the Ulgu reavers would have stealthy glass-canon deep-strike abilities and short-to-medium ranged shooting capabilities. 

That's my wishlist, though, and if we end up with Slaanesh elves I'll happily convert them. 

Edited by Klamm

The reason why I wanted chaos elves was simply that for the most part chaos for GW proper has been Humans, and more humans, or humans who got twisted into animals.  And going with "Surprise! It's Humans!" as their mortal choice would feel really lazy to me. It would be great if other races or ideas could be used for the mortals. Cause even now, Tzeentch mortals? Humans and Beastmen... which are just transformed humans. Nurgle? Humans. Khorne? Humans. FW did do chaos dwarves, but thats not really a readily accessible army for most. We had Slaanesh worshipping elves for the longest time till GW retconned it and that Mortahi was no longer high priestess of Slaanesh... but just stirred the pot cause she could. 

I'm sure whatever we get with Slaanesh will look really good and regardless .

Question for ya'll. I played a game yesterday where because of a double turn, i absolutely crushed his army turn 2, where he conceded and said he had no fun playing the game. 

For reference, my list was 

Seeker Host

Keeper, -3 rend claws, +1hit/cast 

Chaos Sorc

2 Enrapturesses

2x30 daemonettes

2x5 hellstriders

6 fiends

3 tzaangor enlightened (which didn't even do a whole lot)

and Chromantic Cogs

He brought

2x10 blood warriors

20 blood reavers

20 marauders

2 slaughter priests

Bloodsecrator

Lord on juggernaught

Slaughterbrute

Chaos Warshrine

1 Chaos Spawn

He wins turn 1 cause he brought gore pilgrims. He runs his entire army back. He runs his Chaos spawn up. I have to charge it, and I do, moving as little as needed to complete the charge. I double turn him, get cogs off, and my entire army engages him. My fiends and keeper destroy blood reavers, daemonettes kill maruaders, and while his slaughterbrute does some damage to my daemonettes, they do a fair bit of damage back to it. 

He says he is willing to play it out, but he feels that I have just stomped him and he is having zero fun. I feel bad for this, and I don't want to lose opponents if they feel they don't have a chance. Is there any way to start powering down my list? 

14 minutes ago, carnith said:

Question for ya'll. I played a game yesterday where because of a double turn, i absolutely crushed his army turn 2, where he conceded and said he had no fun playing the game. 

For reference, my list was 

Seeker Host

Keeper, -3 rend claws, +1hit/cast 

Chaos Sorc

2 Enrapturesses

2x30 daemonettes

2x5 hellstriders

6 fiends

3 tzaangor enlightened (which didn't even do a whole lot)

and Chromantic Cogs

He brought

2x10 blood warriors

20 blood reavers

20 marauders

2 slaughter priests

Bloodsecrator

Lord on juggernaught

Slaughterbrute

Chaos Warshrine

1 Chaos Spawn

He wins turn 1 cause he brought gore pilgrims. He runs his entire army back. He runs his Chaos spawn up. I have to charge it, and I do, moving as little as needed to complete the charge. I double turn him, get cogs off, and my entire army engages him. My fiends and keeper destroy blood reavers, daemonettes kill maruaders, and while his slaughterbrute does some damage to my daemonettes, they do a fair bit of damage back to it. 

He says he is willing to play it out, but he feels that I have just stomped him and he is having zero fun. I feel bad for this, and I don't want to lose opponents if they feel they don't have a chance. Is there any way to start powering down my list? 

Looking at it his list is nowhere near as good as yours from a competitive view. Also he seems to of played it wrong as he should be letting you go first as he can't attack you at all in his first turn. The one way to take your lost down easily is to take out the exalted, some armies can't deal with it and that khorne list will certainly struggle.

13 hours ago, carnith said:

it wasn't an exalted. It was a regular keeper of secrets. I had no idea waht his list was going into our game. I know he owns 5k of khrone, 2k of moonclan. Did not know what kind of list he would bring. 

Was he trying to do Gore Pilgrims?... Did he use battalions? Because that only looks like roughly 1.5k worth of units, with no significant punch.🤔

Edit; what I mean is, he's playing a very low power list... I feel pretty confident I could give him a fair match with my S2D dogs & horses list. Maybe if you didn't use any allegiance abilities, traits, or artifacts? 😅

Edited by Waiyuren

He was going for gore pilgrims. Maybe I missed a unit or something on his end. 

My only guess is that I just have an entire slaves army slaanesh marked. At least that way I can’t say it’s over powered. I could probably build a list with some warriors, chosen, and chariots and knights.  Except I don’t own all of that. I want actual slaanesh mortals first before I build an extensive slaves army. 

• Like 1

I managed to win in the game against DoK, though it should be noted that they weren't running some ultra competitive list and it was a very close game. The enrapturess and the fiends really helped stop his spells, and the fiends and daemonettes were the MVP of the game. I have to admit that I got very lucky with an endless spell; they had summoned the quicksilver swords earlier on, and then chosen to go first in the battleround, allowing me to control the swords. Perhaps Slaanesh itself was bored with Morathi as the swords rolled 4 6s, which allowed me to kill her in the next combat. Morathi was still a huge pain in the butt, especially as she transformed very early on with full wounds  - she skewered my EKoS in one turn of combat with mindrazor and witch brew with heartrender. Thankfully spam summoning daemonettes kept her at bay long enough to wear her down (the extra 1 DP from the enrapturess was really important here). The Blood Sisters seemed pretty strong (took a unit of seekers in one go, in massive overkill), but that was nothing the fiends and some hellstriders couldn't fix. 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Klamm said:

To add to the Slaanesh speculation topic, I really REALLY REALLY don’t want the army to focus on chaos-tainted Aelves.

It seems like the lazy choice that doesn’t really make much sense (as Morathi demonstrated, even Aelves who work for Slaanesh just end up as food anyway, so there’s no incentive to give into the Dark Prince). And when you think about it, the reason many mortals would turn to Slaanesh is that they desire grace, perfection and beauty, all inherently Aelven traits. Wouldn’t it be more interesting and make more sense if Slaanesh’s followers were mortals who wished they could be like Aelves?

There's just a lot more appeal for me in the idea of mortal followers. It's a Chaos god which doesn't need to coerce followers through war or disease but tempts the people of the mortal realms with the opportunity to seize pleasure and perfection. 

I'm all about the mortals, and there are so many great possibilities the army could explore. I want them to take the Helltrider aesthetic as a baseline and expand from there, with the units reflecting the dualism of Hysh and Ulgu Slaanesh represents.

More Hysh themed units would be resplendent, quicksilver paragons in gleaming plate, really embracing the ornate Greek look. The Ulgu themed contingent would visually harken to the sadomasochist aspects of Slaanesh: pierced skin, mutations and armour fused to the body. And here you've got an opportunity for divergent playstyle, with the armoured warriors being more survivable and CC damage dependent while the Ulgu reavers would have stealthy glass-canon deep-strike abilities and short-to-medium ranged shooting capabilities. 

That's my wishlist, though, and if we end up with Slaanesh elves I'll happily convert them. 

I think it’s possible that people are mistaken in that the Slaanesh story ark being stricktly about Slannesh being freed/escaping (I know I’ve got on a tangent as this isn’t really what you were talking about). 

For example, what if due to the necroquake,  Slaanesh is secretly syphining some of its power into one of the Slaanesh followers, and that follower becomes a Demi god. Gw might keep the story arch as Slaanesh being imprisoned for a good while. 

Alternatively it could be that Slaanesh is able to communicate to its followers or something.

Model wise I’d want the mortals to be pristine and look like a parody of order. I’d like them to be mainly human, and maybe an aelven character also (like the druchii annointed). 

Edited by NurglesFirstChosen

32 minutes ago, Enoby said:

How have you guys found our new stuff, especially the fiends? I have found them very good, but haven't had the chance for many games.

So far the only few games I had, my opponents concede rather early. One game they did get into combat, and shredded some blood reavers, but I never got to see them murder heroes, or go after monsters. I've like the enrapturess every game she's been in.