AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Cheers guys, you definitely made the chariot less intimidating, I think I ll go with a box of Daemonettes first then SC. However what type of chariot should I build first ? Which option  gives you the herald on foot / mount? 

@Enoby  your chariot looks great, thank you for sharing. I was looking for a paint scheme similar, would you mind telling more about your paint scheme?

Edited by Sigmarusvult
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Cheers guys, you definitely made the chariot less intimidating, I think I ll go with a box of Daemonettes first then SC. However what type of chariot should I build first ? Which option  gives you the herald on foot / mount? 

@Enoby  your chariot looks great, thank you for sharing. I was looking for a paint scheme similar, would you mind telling more about your paint scheme?

Sounds like a good start :) I'd 100% go with the exalted seeker chariot with herald. 

Thank you! My paint scheme is super easy: just spray white, sepia shade over the steeds, flesh shade over the chassis, druchi violet over the blades. The gold can be done with retributor armour with a druchi violet shade and a layer of retributor armour and ghenna gold. After that, give the steeds a drybrush with pallid wych flesh, and the chassis a drybrush with tyrant skull. I was thinking about some Blood for the Blood god on the chariot spokes (usually with a layer of dark brown underneath where the blood will be). 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Sounds like a good start :) I'd 100% go with the exalted seeker chariot with herald. 

Thank you! My paint scheme is super easy: just spray white, sepia shade over the steeds, flesh shade over the chassis, druchi violet over the blades. The gold can be done with retributor armour with a druchi violet shade and a layer of retributor armour and ghenna gold. After that, give the steeds a drybrush with pallid wych flesh, and the chassis a drybrush with tyrant skull. I was thinking about some Blood for the Blood god on the chariot spokes (usually with a layer of dark brown underneath where the blood will be). 

Sounds like a plan then 👍

Awesome work, I love your faceless heroes (conversion?) they remind me of Alien and  and HR Giger's artwork which are very... Slaaneshi 😁.  I especially like the subtle contrast between the white color of the skin (druckari wash?) and of the armor of the daemon prince (sepia ?) Thanks again for sharing, I can't wait to start mine! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rid said:

Looking at building an archaon based force, how well does he work at the centre of a Hosts of Slaanesh Army?

As far as I know, Archaon works well as. I saw a pretty crazy 2500 point list that used him and two exalted keeper of secrets to bring about massive devastation. In a normal list, he probably works well with two Keepers of Secrets (or lords on boobsneks  if you're using mortals, though I find daemons much better personally) and big blocks of troops to use those command abilities on. Be warned, he's not all that killy himself.

Cheers,

Its more for the love of the archaon model than anything truely tourney conquering haha

I have an FW keeper already, but 1100pts on two models will be harsh on the list, need them do pull their weight every turn

Something like this perhaps?

Archaon 660
Exalted KoS 440
Herald on EChariot 160
Masque 80

30 daemonettes 270
5 hellstriders 100
5 hellstriders 100

Geminids 40
Cogs 60
Extra CP 50

Edited by Rid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rid said:

Cheers,

Its more for the love of the archaon model than anything truely tourney conquering haha

I have an FW keeper already, but 1100pts on two models will be harsh on the list, need them do pull their weight every turn

Something like this perhaps?

Archaon 660
Exalted KoS 440
Herald on EChariot 160
Masque 80

30 daemonettes 270
5 hellstriders 100
5 hellstriders 100

Geminids 40
Cogs 60
Extra CP 50

Sounds like a good plan, though I may even suggest removing the endless spells and the chariot for another 30 daemonettes (no big deal if not, they're just very very killy and excellent all round).

I'm confident the Realm of Chaos Book is the standalone rulebook for the game (like Speed Freaks and other boxed games) the 40k book is the 40k Matched Play rules and the AoS book is the AoS Matched Play rules. Although this time much more substantial/thought out than some of the recent offerings from 40k since their boxed game sets like Kill Team have been more for novelty rather than actual proper units.

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

My guess is the wrath & rapture book is a system-agnostic mini campaign, but i can't see how thick those books are to get an idea of the amount of content...

I have a fair suspicion they're not codex/battletome sized, and are probably no bigger than they need to be for the warscolls of the units in-box, and POSSIBLY some allegiance abilities, upgrades, stratagems, etc.

Still cool either way; I've already "pre-pre-ordered" a box from my local GW. 😅

Hello everyone! Long time lurker and looking for help on potential future projects.

I am itching for a new army project, and Slaanesh has been on my list for a while. There are a few problems with them, mostly the lack of a good mortal presence and not being as cheap to get together as other armies on the list. BUT, I do have a really fun narrative hook.

I am aiming at hammering out a test list this week to try out the units I like so far. Get a feel for them. Hopefully that will bring some insight.

One thing I want to test, and that would really fit my narrative hook: Realm of Life Slaanesh. Lore wise it is great. Corrupted Wargroves, rampant, unchecked plant growth, and a Pretenders Host based around worship of an Exalted Keeper of Secrets (perhaps modelled on Drycha?) as an ancient Fertility Goddess. Perhaps look towards Beastmen to fill in the lack of Mortals...

For gameplay, how do the Realm of Life artifacts look? I like the idea of Jade Diadem (heal 1 on a save roll of 6), just not sure how well it will play out, especially on our fragile heroes. Greenglade Flask for a single shot at D6 heals seems nice, but not sure it is worth our 1 (MAYBE 2) artifact slot, due to lack of battalions. I know Ghyrstrike is awesome, but I was looking for healing to enhance Depravity Points. Any good? Or perhaps just a dud.

This is the list I will attempt to try this week.

Allegiance: Slaanesh
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Host: Pretenders

LEADERS
Exalted Greater Daemon of Slaanesh (440)
General
Command Trait : Invigorated by Pain
Artefact : Jade Diadem
Slaanesh Allegiance Option : Supremely Vain (Second Command Trait)
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)

UNITS
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
6 x Chaos Spawn (300)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

I know the Chaos Spawn are...unorthodox. I also want to fit in a Warshrine, as both them and the spawn fit my idea for an army. The new fiends would be nice, too. But, either way, this is my general bent. I don't like the Daemon chariots, so the Start Collecting Box is awkward. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. I like the idea of the "Unkillable" Exalted Keeper, just pouring out Depravity. Will report back with games once I get them in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

*Snip*

Looks like an interesting list. I've not used Ghyran, but healing can work very well for us. There are a few changes I would suggest, but there nothing major so don't feel like you need to change anything. 

I'd recommend ''devotee of torment'' over Supremely Vain. It's an excellent command trait that lets you always strike first on your turn, run and pile in, retreat and pile in, skip through units (with the normal KoS command ability), and come to the defence of your own units when they are charged.

I'd also like to ask about the Slaanesh lord on boobsnek and the Chaos Lord. Are they just in there for depravity points? Hellstriders are pants in combat so I'd never bother putting a command ability onto them. If they are just for depravity points, I'd suggest replacing them with another KoS.

You may already know, but the daemonettes will be one of the most killy things in your army (below the EKoS, who may be the most killy unit in the game when fully buffed). Don't underestimate the hurt they bring with a double pile in.

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

Looks like an interesting list. I've not used Ghyran, but healing can work very well for us. There are a few changes I would suggest, but there nothing major so don't feel like you need to change anything. 

I'd recommend ''devotee of torment'' over Supremely Vain. It's an excellent command trait that lets you always strike first on your turn, run and pile in, retreat and pile in, skip through units (with the normal KoS command ability), and come to the defence of your own units when they are charged.

I'd also like to ask about the Slaanesh lord on boobsnek and the Chaos Lord. Are they just in there for depravity points? Hellstriders are pants in combat so I'd never bother putting a command ability onto them. If they are just for depravity points, I'd suggest replacing them with another KoS.

You may already know, but the daemonettes will be one of the most killy things in your army (below the EKoS, who may be the most killy unit in the game when fully buffed). Don't underestimate the hurt they bring with a double pile in.

Yeah, the Devotee of Torment idea certainly is probably the better one, I was mostly concerned with getting the Lifeswarm as well as trying stuff a bit out of the ordinary. 

The Slaanesh Lord can buff the Chaos Spawn. They are apparently mortal AND markable! The Chaos Lord, admittedly, is there for an aesthetic, as I like Mortal Heroes, they give me a chance to build interesting characters. A second regular Keeper of Secrets might not be so bad. It also makes a "Holy Trinity" aesthetic as well. Will keep that in mind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

One thing I want to test, and that would really fit my narrative hook: Realm of Life Slaanesh. Lore wise it is great. Corrupted Wargroves, rampant, unchecked plant growth, and a Pretenders Host based around worship of an Exalted Keeper of Secrets (perhaps modelled on Drycha?) as an ancient Fertility Goddess. Perhaps look towards Beastmen to fill in the lack of Mortals...

In the Storm of Magic novella Hour of Shadows the magical pool in a glade in Athel Loren which grants the magic to the wood elves is possessed with a Keeper of Secrets who takes form as one but made of wood.

I recommend reading the book for anyone like me, a classic fan of Wood Elves and Slaanesh.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 6/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, carnith said:

Herald and Masque are low scoring depravity. Take heralds on Exalted Chariots. They are the same price as daemon princes for +1 depravity. Also based on the rules for mortal wounds, they are treated as wounds for rules purposes, they should grant depravity if mortal wounds were done on the charge by a chariot. If depravity gets errata'd to be only wounds and not mortal wounds, I think you'll have a better time with DP's as the chariots throw out a bunch of attacks but with no rend. YMMV overall. 

Sadly, it was. Depravity does not generate on Mortal Wounds both done by us and to us. They added it to the Developers Commentary for some unknown reason...

Edit...I'm an idiot. That was page 1.

Edited by Umahron
I'm an idiot

You are quoting me from a super old message back in June, prior to the FAQ. I disagree with the changes to depravity, but it makes sense if you look at GW changing up when books were meant to be released. If you assume Sorcery was to come out earlier in the year, then the changes found in the GHB and Core book make sense and are updated, with all 3 books coming out at once. it's a cluster**** and gw had to make a final ruling. Really, that the faq might as well said to take out the section about MW in the core book and use last edition's take on MW, cause thats what they ended up deciding.

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders

Leaders
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Invigorated by Pain 
- Slaanesh Allegiance Option: Invigorated by Pain (Second Command Trait)
The Masque Of Slaanesh (80)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff

Battleline
10 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (200)
- Claw spear
10 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (200)
- Claw spear
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
15 x Chaos Knights (480)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Not super focused on maxing out depravity points but very focused on being anywhere on the board I want to be. Hellstriders are likely to be ignored by my opponent while they deal with the imminent potential turn 1 charge from a chaos knight ball fighting twice while backed up with the chaos lord. Probably not anywhere near a competitive list, lacks staying power after charges, I don't think we have access to fall back and charge at all so the knights kind of wimp out after their initial attacks but I still like the thought of heavy cav roaming the board and charging whatever they want while the hellstriders eat up objectives and chaff and try to scale up their attacks while also providing the -1 hit aura. 

While i'm here can anybody explain to me the way to use battalions from other factions/books? I see people using a beastmen battalion or a StD battalion but i'm not really sure how we get to use it, thanks!

1 hour ago, Belmail said:

? I see people using a beastmen battalion or a StD battalion but i'm not really sure how we get to use it, thanks!

I'll probably butcher this but you buy the batallion, fill the requirements (IIRC 1 hero, 3 units, cheapest Centigor) and you gain the benefits (re-roll charges vs characters with an item). 

I would be quiet keen to try the batallion out to summon in some daemonettes, etc.

1 hour ago, Belmail said:

While i'm here can anybody explain to me the way to use battalions from other factions/books? I see people using a beastmen battalion or a StD battalion but i'm not really sure how we get to use it, thanks!

So, any battalion has a faction tied to it. If you use that battalion in any other factions, it ALL counts as allies. Making it all but impossible to run. BUT, the new mono-god Beasts of Chaos battalions have been FAQ'd to count as their god's faction as well, so there is 1 Slaanesh battalion in the Beasts book. The Everchosen ones used to work like this, but were FAQ'd to NOT work...

4 hours ago, Belmail said:

...the knights kind of wimp out after their initial attacks but I still like the thought of heavy cav roaming the board and charging whatever they want while the hellstriders eat up objectives and chaff and try to scale up their attacks while also providing the -1 hit aura. 

The knights with enscorcelled weapons are your go-to anvil for long fights, as they out-damage the glaives past the first round of combat, while the glaives are the hammer you use to try and wipe the unit so you can hit something else next turn. 

Also as flamingwalnut said, beasts of chaos battalions are the only ones that can be used in a god-marked army, unfortunately. 

I frigging love knights by the way... Your army might struggle against some of the power lists, but it will be cooler. And if you maybe wanted to put more knights in, you could always take 3x5 hellstriders as battleline and drop the warriors... Just saying... 😁

Edited by Waiyuren

Thanks for the clarification on the beastmen rules, makes sense now that I read the faq! 

And yeah I really just want to use a bunch of knights for rule of cool, they look awesome and I never see anybody run a heavy cavalry based army so it would at least stand out on the table(more than it could by already being pink and slaaneshi.)

I was also pretty curious about DPs, they're obviously good for the high wounds for generating..well..DPs but their array of weapons feels rather lackluster compared to their 40k counterparts. I'm just getting into Slaanesh AoS-wise but I run a DP often in my Emperor's Children lists for 40k, they just don't seem to have the punch other heroes might have.