AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 10/22/2018 at 8:08 PM, Tzeentchmike said:

s the gaunt summoner the everchosen one as we can't be allies with disciples of tzeentch

actually they can now

Page 69 – Allies table, Slaanesh, Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch allies lists Change to: Slaanesh: Beasts of Chaos (excluding Khorne units), Everchosen, Monsters of Chaos, Nurgle, Slaves to Darkness (excluding units with mark of Khorne), Tzeentch

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

actually they can now

Page 69 – Allies table, Slaanesh, Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch allies lists Change to: Slaanesh: Beasts of Chaos (excluding Khorne units), Everchosen, Monsters of Chaos, Nurgle, Slaves to Darkness (excluding units with mark of Khorne), Tzeentch

Nice catch! Weird how Tzeentch can't ally with us, but oh well. 

Here's the FAQ for anyone wondering: 

Screenshot_20181023-190849_Drive.jpg

This actually opens up a lot of options for us. Not just good wizards (better gaunt summoner to deal with hordes), but also some disgusting shooting from the skyfires - hero sniping is always useful. Anyone else have good ideas for our newfound allies? 

Edited by Enoby

Actually, it may not be practical, but we can combo breathtaker and Tzaangor enlightened. They reroll all failed hit and wound rolls if they attack first - if they're attacking a unit which has been hit by breathtaker, then they'll always be attacking first. If you wanted to go all out, you could have 4 units of on foot enlightened against one unit, doing an average of 10 damage each against a 4+ save (so 40 over 4 units). Probably not worth the full investment, but 200 points for two units may not be a bad deal. 

33 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Actually, it may not be practical, but we can combo breathtaker and Tzaangor enlightened. They reroll all failed hit and wound rolls if they attack first - if they're attacking a unit which has been hit by breathtaker, then they'll always be attacking first. If you wanted to go all out, you could have 4 units of on foot enlightened against one unit, doing an average of 10 damage each against a 4+ save (so 40 over 4 units). Probably not worth the full investment, but 200 points for two units may not be a bad deal. 

Not quite; it's the Skyfires that get the rerolls if they strike first. Enlightened only get it if an enemy unit within 3" goes first, so they'd be better sitting an inch behind a single-rank chaff wall like Ungor, or a 10 of murder girls.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

Not quite; it's the Skyfires that get the rerolls if they strike first. Enlightened only get it if an enemy unit within 3" goes first, so they'd be better sitting an inch behind a single-rank chaff wall like Ungor, or a 10 of murder girls.

Ah, oops! Must have been thinking of the wrong blue goats when I read the rule :P

Are skyfires still worth it? They are very expensive 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

Not only, the last faq said that they deal mortal wounds now only on unmodified 6, because the last warscroll that came out is actual now

Ah, that's a shame. Do you know of any good Tzeentch units (besides the gaunt summoner) that'd be useful for us to take? 

16 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Ah, that's a shame. Do you know of any good Tzeentch units (besides the gaunt summoner) that'd be useful for us to take? 

Lord of change, who can cast spells from worlds, but only if rules allow you to choose world and spells for it (in Russia we set the world on the table, so no planning for spells from worlds beforehand)

22 hours ago, Enoby said:

Enlightened on foot but that may be within Brayherd context more than allies to Slaanesh.  The Shaman now has access to the "lore of the wild" or whatever it is called so you can get +1A to Melee attacks on a monster (Exalted), or make an enemy monster attack itself or a friendly unit.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Enlightened on foot but that may be within Brayherd context more than allies to Slaanesh.  The Shaman now has access to the "lore of the wild" or whatever it is called so you can get +1A to Melee attacks on a monster (Exalted), or make an enemy monster attack itself or a friendly unit.

Can we ever take Lore of the Wild and still be Slaanesh allegiance? I may be wrong here, but I thought that you had to be a particular allegiance (in this case, Beasts of Chaos) to use their spell lores. 

Does anyone think the Lord of Change will be worth taking? I can't help but think his casting may be wasted at the moment, but maybe when we have our own spells he can be there to cast endless spells or just throw out a spare mystic shield or arcane bolt, as well as his own spell (which is decent).

16 hours ago, Enoby said:

Can we ever take Lore of the Wild and still be Slaanesh allegiance? I may be wrong here, but I thought that you had to be a particular allegiance (in this case, Beasts of Chaos) to use their spell lores. 

duh,.. sorry.  "Spells available to Wizards in a Beasts of Chaos Army".  

1 hour ago, erasercrumbs said:

I was thinking about starting a Slaanesh army, with a solid core of Chaos Warriors. In theory, they sound particularly good with the Seeker ability, since that enhances their otherwise slow speed.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what were your experiences?

I've tried something similar. The one thing I found them really lacking in is a hammer to the anvil, so I'd suggest some chaos knights or daemons to provide a punch. Maybe it's just my bad luck but Chaos Warriors seem to do very little in terms of damage (but maybe a few Slaaneshi buffs would help that - their command abilities are really good).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

I was thinking about starting a Slaanesh army, with a solid core of Chaos Warriors. In theory, they sound particularly good with the Seeker ability, since that enhances their otherwise slow speed.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what were your experiences?

I run a mortal slaanesh army. My ten knights have been amazing moving fast and piling in twice. Hellstriders and lord on steed of slaanesh are crazy fast too.

Extra movement has been useful on warriors, but they havent killed a lot and just been tough to kill. I have used them mostly for holding objectives and screening. Aside from knights i have struggled to do a lot of damage 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Enoby said:

@erasercrumbs, as @Trav mentioned, Hellstriders are great to take. Not only do they increase the tankiness of your army by a tonne, they can dash nearly anywhere on the board to cap objectives in a pinch.  

Would you want to focus on depravity point summoning?

YES. 

I love that Slaanesh gives you incentive to take as many heroes as possible and just fling them forward. There are a lot of old metal Chaos champions that would make unique Exalted Heroes.

On an unrelated note, I run Death Guard and Emperor's Children in 40K, so it was just a matter of time before Hosts joined my Maggotkin. ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, erasercrumbs said:

YES. 

I love that Slaanesh gives you incentive to take as many heroes as possible and just fling them forward. There are a lot of old metal Chaos champions that would make unique Exalted Heroes.

On an unrelated note, I run Death Guard and Emperor's Children in 40K, so it was just a matter of time before Hosts joined my Maggotkin. ?

Good to hear! 

Slaves to Darkness are pretty good with depravity points as they have quite a few high wound heroes. They accumulate really quickly, but there's a bit of finesse into getting a decent amount of them - it's a lot of fun! I hope the battletome lets us pimp our heroes.

1 hour ago, Gothicwaltz said:

After spending some time putting a plan together for starting my Slaanesh force, I realized that I should wait to see what's going on with Wrath and Rapture. At the very least it should have daemonettes.

Good plan. Total guess, but I reckon it will include everything we saw on the teaser (bloodletters, hound, fiend, daemonettes), probably some cavalry  (bloodcrushers and seekers) to round out the lists, and a hero (probably new heralds for both - but this is a total guess). 

I wonder when they plan on releasing it; the community team has said "soon... soon" when asked, but their soon could be our later. We may even be waiting until January (I keep hearing people referencing the community team saying "Slaanuary" but I've not found a picture), but I hope it's sooner than that. 

• Like 1

So a guy said he has seen/heard of a new plastic Masque, the KoS will have a dual kit with a named daemon, with the daemon being N'Kari.  There is the classic squid face, but also a veiled face. 

I don't know how accurate it is, but as excited as I am, that'd be awesome. 

I'm expecting Wrath and Rapture to have basic unit, cav, and a herald. Whether this is a new plastic herald for both khorne and slaanesh, or just fine cast kits, but there is where I am at. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, carnith said:

So a guy said he has seen/heard of a new plastic Masque, the KoS will have a dual kit with a named daemon, with the daemon being N'Kari.  There is the classic squid face, but also a veiled face. 

I'm expecting Wrath and Rapture to have basic unit, cav, and a herald. Whether this is a new plastic herald for both khorne and slaanesh, or just fine cast kits, but there is where I am at. 

Sign me up for that new Keeper of Secrets kit, if true. Mmhmm.

If you and Enoby have guessed right, I look forward to buying a Wrath and Rapture box and trading out the Khorne stuff. 

2 hours ago, carnith said:

Excuse me but i'll have you know the classic face is bovine face and it will be a crime if there isn't an option for that in the new kit.

I expect the Khorne side will be mostly stuff out now with a couple of new plastic characters but I think the Slaanesh side will be all new stuff. Khorne has it's bloodbound, Nurgle the blightkings and Tzeetch the Arcanites so Slaanesh will get some kind of equivalent that probably fits into the theme of the Hellstriders. It works if they're a bit like Khorne too with it being a hero/elite warrior heavy force. New plastic Lord on big Steed, new Masque, new infantry and Hellstriders maybe?

I do wonder as well if considering they made a thing about Morathis form being an influence from Slannesh (And Fulgrim having a similar form in 40k) if that snake form will make some kind of appearance. It's not something present in any of the daemon range other than that lords daemonic mount and they almost never redo plastic kits.

• Like 1

Curious if a list like this would work (or is legal):

Pretenders Host - 2000pt

Exalted Greater Daemon of Slaanesh (General)
-Trait: Devotee of Torment
-Trait: Invigorated by Pain
Daemon Prince of Slaanesh
-Artifact: Breathtaker
Daemon Prince of Slaanesh
-Artifact: Doppelganger Cloak
Chaos Lord of Slaanesh
Chaos Warriors w/ Greatblades x 30
Chaos Knights w/ Glaives x 5
Chaos Knights w/ Glaives x 5
Chaos Warriors x 5
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh
Godsworn Champions of Ruin

3-drop list that focuses on abusing the Exalted Daemon's command ability (that can either go on the Daemon Princes to allow 2 immediate pile-ins when the enemy goes to attack), and 6" pile-in that allows safe positioning.  Breathtaker is for tying up a unit, while your other Daemon Prince with Doppelganger Cloak sits safe in the other unit that is forced to attack into a prince that they can't target.  Your Exalted daemon will pile-in last, and probably twice, wrecking whatever it hits, avoiding being hit from sitting outside of 3" but within 6" of the target.  The ability to kill an enemy hero within 3" on a 6 roll seems great.

Battalion allows free pile-in and attack of the knights/warriors/daemonprince as needed.  Command ability from the Lord will grant run + charge if you need it, on a unit of Knights or  your Daemon Prince.  Geminids are just for debuffing a threat further,  as needed.

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal