AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just now, Aaron Schmidt said:

Cool. Thanks for the clarification! Good to know. Getting interested in Slannesh, so I  wanted to see how the stuff worked. 

They're a really fun army, their tricks just take a bit of getting used to as they're so fragile :)

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 2:13 AM, Enoby said:

I think, by the rules, you can have both as you can have multiple icon bearers and they don't all have to have the same banner. However, I wouldn't bother doing so until after the battletome comes out as there's a good chance it'll be changed. 

Hellstriders, at the moment, are rubbish in combat as they get so few attacks (and the attacks they do get are pants). I'd only ever consider using them as a combat unit if they got an extra attack each, better to hit or wound, and did more on a charge (like 2 damage). 

Do you think it would be reasonable to expect seekers and hellstriders to get a points flip?

The hellstriders are ridiculously fast and -1 to hit seems really powerful if used to protect something killy, whereas the seekers look like just faster, slightly less killy daemonettes.

I just picked up a cheap start collecting box, and now I'm agonizing over whether to build everything as is, or plonk some marauder horsemen on those mounts and re-purpose the original riders as leaping daemonettes... ?

Edited by Waiyuren
Spelling

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

They're a really fun army, their tricks just take a bit of getting used to as they're so fragile :)

Cool. Yeah, my #1 army is Nurgle, which can be pretty resilient. Slannesh seems more fragile for sure... except for all the sweet -1 to hit you can get through different ways. That seems to give them some staying power? 

I ordered several boxes of Daemonettes and a pair of Getting Started boxes. Not sure what I am going to make with all that, but it should be entertaining. 

What are your feelings about the different chariot permutations? The Herald on Exalted Seeker Chariot seems solid for the potential summoning points it could generate. Are there ways to heal them? Emerald Life-swarm following it around?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waiyuren said:

Do you think it would be reasonable to expect seekers and hellstriders to get a points flip?

The hellstriders are ridiculously fast and -1 to hit seems really powerful if used to protect something killy, whereas the seekers look like just faster, slightly less killy daemonettes.

I just picked up a cheap start collecting box, and now I'm agonizing over whether to build everything as is, or plonk some marauder horsemen on those mounts and re-purpose the original riders as leaping daemonettes... ?

I agree, Hellstriders are much better than Seekers, and Seekers don't feel worth their points. I would love to see them come down to 100, or to have a rule that made them more offensive (+1 to hit on a charge would be nice).

For the moment, I'd suggest assuming that something about Hestriders and Seekers may change.

8 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Cool. Yeah, my #1 army is Nurgle, which can be pretty resilient. Slannesh seems more fragile for sure... except for all the sweet -1 to hit you can get through different ways. That seems to give them some staying power? 

I ordered several boxes of Daemonettes and a pair of Getting Started boxes. Not sure what I am going to make with all that, but it should be entertaining. 

What are your feelings about the different chariot permutations? The Herald on Exalted Seeker Chariot seems solid for the potential summoning points it could generate. Are there ways to heal them? Emerald Life-swarm following it around?

Yeah, the -1s to hit are great. The Hellstrider banner even stacks with itself, so long as it's within different units. While it may change later, it allows us to get key enemy units on -3 to hit. 

You can't go wrong with daemonettes. The more the better - they're pretty much good at everything.

The exalted chariot with herald is probably the best chariot out of the bunch. Don't expect it to do much after its initial charge, but it can really hurt a large horde.  

• Like 1

I'm uncertain about the seekers (although I love them in concept). I think they are too expensive to be chaff (Furies are better), they don't hit super hard, maybe they can threaten light-weight characters? Its a shame they can't run and charge (unless I'm missing something). I'd not be surprised if they become a little different in the hypothetical future book. 

The Hellstriders seem fantastic simply for their -1 banner. They mechanics of how it works, and on a unit with oval bases, makes covering models with its naughty effects pretty easy with a bit of smart positioning. That shouldn't be hard with all that movement. 

I can see CPs used for the 'At the Double' command ability being very worth it in a Slannesh army. 

15 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I'm uncertain about the seekers (although I love them in concept). I think they are too expensive to be chaff (Furies are better), they don't hit super hard, maybe they can threaten light-weight characters? Its a shame they can't run and charge (unless I'm missing something). I'd not be surprised if they become a little different in the hypothetical future book.

Seekers can run and charge - they're the fastest unit in AoS - so they're meant to be squishy hunters. Unfortunately, I think we pay 120pts for their speed alone - they do nothing once you get there unless you're against a 6+ save. They need some sort of combat buff, or at least a spell/ability that would make them better in combat. 

Screenshot_20181006-221505_WH AoS.jpg

Hey guys, to expand my Slaanesh demons (atm 500 points), I´m thinking about adding a daemon prince (Additional to more seekers and daemonettes). I´d like to make the prince a princess. I guess the lower half fits okay, and I´d do some bewbs from green stuff, I´m looking for some ideas to add a female head. I searched through a big bunch of GW´s models, but haven´t found a fitting head. Has anyone an idea for an affordable head?
I also checked some third party models, but I´d rather keep it mostly GW based.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Seekers can run and charge - they're the fastest unit in AoS - so they're meant to be squishy hunters. Unfortunately, I think we pay 120pts for their speed alone - they do nothing once you get there unless you're against a 6+ save. They need some sort of combat buff, or at least a spell/ability that would make them better in combat. 

Screenshot_20181006-221505_WH AoS.jpg

Oooohhhhhh baby! I missed that last line! 

1 hour ago, Phynxes said:

Hey guys, to expand my Slaanesh demons (atm 500 points), I´m thinking about adding a daemon prince (Additional to more seekers and daemonettes). I´d like to make the prince a princess. I guess the lower half fits okay, and I´d do some bewbs from green stuff, I´m looking for some ideas to add a female head. I searched through a big bunch of GW´s models, but haven´t found a fitting head. Has anyone an idea for an affordable head?

Thanks in advance

Alarielle is around the right size, but i used saint celestine for mine. The generic daemon prince is too stocky for my taste.

Edited by Waiyuren

1 hour ago, Phynxes said:

Thanks in advance

I was thinking about this sort of thing too. Demon Princesses are a fantastic unit for a force. Maybe check out Reaper Bones? I think some of their models are a bit bigger scale which would help and they are inexpensive. Alerial(sp?) could be a good source for parts too, but that is an expensive conversion. 

I may go full freaky and give my DP a monster head of some sort or another. 

I have a question about the exalted chariot too; seeing as mortal wounds don't generate depravity post faq, is it worth taking still? 

Or should i kitbash it into an Ophanim made of spinning razorblades and use it as my keeper of secrets? ?

Edited by Waiyuren

2 hours ago, Waiyuren said:

I have a question about the exalted chariot too; seeing as mortal wounds don't generate depravity post faq, is it worth taking still? 

Or should i kitbash it into an Ophanim made of spinning razorblades and use it as my keeper of secrets? ?

I didn't know the thing about Mortal Wounds, but it still has the potential to generate a lot of damage and take it which sounds like what you want. That being said, your conversion idea sounds amazing!

5 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

What about 15 Seeker units? Enough mass to cause trouble? 360 still probably too much... :/

I think 15 may be a little excessive :P Mostly just because their base size would stop all of them getting in at once. I reckon 10 would be okay, though - good for taking down units of archers. 

5 seekers is ideal cause if you roll a 1 for battleshock, you add d6, easily you can start multiplying them.

As for DPs, my current keeper of secrets is a DP body and head with a hive tyrant tail. I took off the wings and put extra arms there that were only blue tacked on, the main reason for this is I expect a proper Keeper model and then I can return my keeper of secrets back to a daemon prince with wings. So I had a guy at my shop who works wonders with green stuff, make ****** and clothing for her (try to keep the store somewhat pg13) and give her hair to match the rest of my daemonettes.

• Like 1

Try this out. 

Allegiance: Chaos
Herald Of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)
- General
1 x Seeker Chariots Of Slaanesh (80)
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

Run seeker trait and get +2 move and +2 to charge. Have your exalted chariots crash into everything for mortal wounds and to take damage to summon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carnith said:

Try this out. 

Allegiance: Chaos
- General
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail
- War Flail

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

Run seeker trait and get +2 move and +2 to charge. Have your exalted chariots crash into everything for mortal wounds and to take damage to summon.

It looks so beautiful. The thought of both assembling and painting that many Exalted Chariots makes me shiver. 

I have sort of this dream to make my own combined daemon/mortal chariot/cavalry based seeker host. I think that would be a fun, fluffy way to get some Slaves to Darkness models into my collection. I kind of want to see what kind of offerings this rumored Darkoath release might have though.

In that same vein, I was really excited to get some Slaanesh marked beastmen. But the more I look into it the less sure I am about it. I don't know if anyone has looked into that Slaanesh battalion the Beast of Chaos battletome presents, but based on the what I've read it doesn't look like that battalion could legally be included in a Slaanesh allegiance army. If I understand correctly, it is only a valid battalion in a Beast of Chaos or Grand Alliance Chaos army. Unless I can buy the entire thing with allied points, which I don't think I can. Outside of Slaanesh allegiance bonuses, a mark of Slaanesh does nothing for you unless you are either a Slaanesh mortal or a Slaanesh daemon. The beasts of chaos are neither. So can anyone illuminate me? I was hoping the beast of chaos battletome FAQ would come out and clarify my understanding.

As of right now Slaanesh gains no benefit on keyword outside of Supremely Vain for Slaanesh Models. We dont have buffs or debuffs that target or exclude Slaanesh. Perhaps in a Slaanesh book, we have spells that can target friendly Slaanesh or new units that give Slaanesh units some benefit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, carnith said:

As of right now Slaanesh gains no benefit on keyword outside of Supremely Vain for Slaanesh Models. We dont have buffs or debuffs that target or exclude Slaanesh. Perhaps in a Slaanesh book, we have spells that can target friendly Slaanesh or new units that give Slaanesh units some benefit. 

The command abilities we have are Slaanesh specific. It's a shame beastmen aren't mortals or daemon. 

Fair enough, but it's still pretty bad. I'm trying to think of good combos for me and beastmen player since all of their stuff affects non-beastmen and I can't really afford to buy a brand new beastmen army just to not get screwed by his herdstone.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:27 PM, Phynxes said:

Thanks in advance

I did some modifications to the Yncarne from 40k myself. Added a large demonette claw (from a seeker I think) some demonic stuff protruding from her etc which I think works well. Definitely has a good slaaneshy vibe.

Here's the only photo I can find of her. I should try and get a better one.

FB_IMG_1539068029681.jpg

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I did some modifications to the Yncarne from 40k myself. Added a large demonette claw (from a seeker I think) some demonic stuff protruding from her etc which I think works well. Definitely has a good slaaneshy vibe.

Here's the only photo I can find of her. I should try and get a better one.

FB_IMG_1539068029681.jpg

Idea = stolen. :D

• Like 1

So my first start collecting box arrived this morning!

I've been trying to work out what i can build out of it to get the best value for money; so far I've penciled these units:

10 daemonettes (i need them, and you can't do much else with the models anyway)

5 hellstriders with hellscourges (using the seekers, arm-swapped with herald whips and adding some spare shields)

4 heralds on seekers (chariot seekers and riders, fully glammed up with in-box cool stuff)

1 chronomantic cogs (using chariot blades and greenstuff)

That still leaves 4 heralds/alluress (aluri? aluresses?) on foot, a bunch of blades, and the chariot chasis. I feel like I should leave some heralds on foot unbuilt for future conversions depending on what the battletome gets, though.