AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Giving this more thought, it can get ridiculous if we can use this battalion as part of the Hosts (using our allegiance abilities and command traits).

If we can give the hero Allure of Slaanesh and some Hellstrider support (minimal investment). This turns an opponent who would have 3+ to hit into one who would have 5+ to hit rerolling, which is about a 11% chance of each attack hitting. A hero who can't be hit means a hero that can survive a long time for depravity points. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, thanks for the great info here! I'd like to share my batrep with you. Had a 2000-pt game vs Seraphon today, I used Seeker allegiance and the exalted one with the flying cloak and 6" pile-in move as a warlord. I don't have much experience in AoS (I've played Slaanesh in 40k for years tho) so there's a few critical mistakes in my tactics, which hit me hard in the end. The Seraphon player also knew the weak point of Slaanesh army so he exploited a huge amount of mortal wounds against me - including those horrible meteors!

Nevertheless, I'm pretty satisfied with our new mechanic of summoning. By the turn 3 I could gather 30+ depravity points, summoning a KoS to make game change. I also brought out the exalted one and daemon prince for the first time, both of which were MUCH better than my expectation. I'm supposed to have two more games with the same list tomorrow so you'll see the results soon.

And question. I read in this thread that mortal wounds don't make a depravity point anymore. Can anyone please give me the specific reference for this errata? (maybe Q&A? but I cannot find it by myself)

dre.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dr.E said:

Hi guys, thanks for the great info here! I'd like to share my batrep with you. Had a 2000-pt game vs Seraphon today, I used Seeker allegiance and the exalted one with the flying cloak and 6" pile-in move as a warlord. I don't have much experience in AoS (I've played Slaanesh in 40k for years tho) so there's a few critical mistakes in my tactics, which hit me hard in the end. The Seraphon player also knew the weak point of Slaanesh army so he exploited a huge amount of mortal wounds against me - including those horrible meteors!

Nevertheless, I'm pretty satisfied with our new mechanic of summoning. By the turn 3 I could gather 30+ depravity points, summoning a KoS to make game change. I also brought out the exalted one and daemon prince for the first time, both of which were MUCH better than my expectation. I'm supposed to have two more games with the same list tomorrow so you'll see the results soon.

And question. I read in this thread that mortal wounds don't make a depravity point anymore. Can anyone please give me the specific reference for this errata? (maybe Q&A? but I cannot find it by myself)

dre.jpg

Looks like an awesome game :)

Here is the FAQ for the mortal wounds and depravity:

FB_IMG_1536929657787.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dr.E said:

dre.jpg

Nice report did you enjoy using the exalted.

As I mentioned I had two more games today (both 2000 pts).

Game 1 vs Stormcastian archers.

My opponent told this army would be like 40k alpha-striking marines so I chose to play later (the first fault). After his archers deepstroke my backyard, I should have ignored them and chased the objectives at the center of battlefiled (the second fault). These two mistakes resulted in a huge difference in VPs that I cannot overcome at all. I surrendered quickly...

Game 2 vs Khornian cavarly

I heard they hit hard when they charge, so I tried to bait them and take away their opportunity of charge. It actually worked well - most of my ladies charged first in Turn 2. Those cavarly was 5 wounds each, which gave me depravity points MORE THAN FIFTY. I should have summoned 20x2 daemonettes to secure objectives to win, but we both agreed controlling such a hoard would take too much time (I gotta end the game in 10 min at that point) so nothing happened ;P

All in all, I like this new version of Slaanesh. I've tried various combinations in traits, hosts, and allegiance this time. Personally the rend-3 blade worked much better than the flying cloak for me. 6" pile-in trait becomes my default option. I still don't conclude which one is better between seeker and pretender hosts. And yes @Tzeentchmike, I'm pretty satisfied with using the exalted (as well as Slaanesh DPs) if not sniped out by MWs.

And here's my final tip. The depravity points accumulate against multi-wound army (even I didn't count MWs at all today) so you'd better prepare many models in advance. I really wanted to summon my thrid KoS for these games...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Dr.E
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr.E said:

The depravity points accumulate  *extremely rapidly* against multi-wound army (even I didn't count MWs at all today) so you'd better prepare many models in advance. I really wanted to summon my thrid KoS for these games...

While I can't post leaked images, I can say I've seen the Depraved Drove. It's not as good as I first thought, but it's usable:

Firstly, it allows us to reroll charges when within 12" of an enemy hero with an artefact.

Secondly, we can reroll melee hit rolls against enemies who have an artefact of power. 

Not great, and I've heard it costs about 160 points, but does give us an option for an artefact and a command point.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Infernalslayer said:

What are people's thoughts on a Slaanesh mortal army (with Slaves to Darkness to cover the slots), is it feasible?

How useful are Hellstriders?

Hellstriders are super useful as their banners stack (so long as the banners don't belong to the same unit). Dot them around to support your main troops.

As for the rest of mortals, I don't find them all that great as they lack punch. I do, however, think that they could be useful when mixed with daemons who hit really hard but crumble quickly.

• Like 1

Yeah I always use a unit of hellstriders for their hit-1 bubble. They're even battleline as well!

And I'm also personally preparing Slaanesh mortal army led by Archaon, since his command ability activates those of other heroes. I'm gonna bring out Slaanesh lord, mount lord, and KoS with him to maxmize the effect.

Btw @Enoby, Depraved Drove is a Slaanesh battalion but for beastman so we cannot add it to our allegiance but must use them as an alliance, am I right? It looks fancy to get an additional CP & artefact, but I haven't decided to buy those goats yet.

Edited by Dr.E

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Hellstriders are super useful as their banners stack (so long as the banners don't belong to the same unit). Dot them around to support your main troops.

As for the rest of mortals, I don't find them all that great as they lack punch. I do, however, think that they could be useful when mixed with daemons who hit really hard but crumble quickly.

I am trying to avoid another heavy hordes army as i already have Khorne with Bloodletters and Bloodreavers, Plaguebearers in Nurgle and hundreds of goats in Beasts of Chaos and many units of these armies are still unpainted ? 

I do like the daemonettes but not sure yet if i will have the strength to paint so many or the space to store 30s of them so i am thinking on starting with mortals and perhaps expand with some daemons when Wrath and Rupture is released.

Here is hoping they release some elite  Slaanesh Chosen like Skullreapers/Blightkings when the narrative focus switches to the Lord of Excess.

14 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

I am trying to avoid another heavy hordes army as i already have Khorne with Bloodletters and Bloodreavers, Plaguebearers in Nurgle and hundreds of goats in Beasts of Chaos and many units of these armies are still unpainted ? 

I do like the daemonettes but not sure yet if i will have the strength to paint so many or the space to store 30s of them so i am thinking on starting with mortals and perhaps expand with some daemons when Wrath and Rupture is released.

Here is hoping they release some elite  Slaanesh Chosen like Skullreapers/Blightkings when the narrative focus switches to the Lord of Excess.

14 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

My personal opinion is that we're going to see some kind of re-worked fiends to fill this slot.....

And Striders are DLHWI.

Edited by Tasman

1 hour ago, Dr.E said:

Yeah I always use a unit of hellstriders for their hit-1 bubble. They're even battleline as well!

And I'm also personally preparing Slaanesh mortal army led by Archaon, since his command ability activates those of other heroes. I'm gonna bring out Slaanesh lord, mount lord, and KoS with him to maxmize the effect.

Btw @Enoby, Depraved Drove is a Slaanesh battalion but for beastman so we cannot add it to our allegiance but must use them as an alliance, am I right? It looks fancy to get an additional CP & artefact, but I haven't decided to buy those goats yet.

They have said that the marked battallions in beast of chaos do not trigger the allies battallion rule.  So they are an exception. We will have to wait for the book and/or an faq to verify this depending on how its written.

12 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Yes I really hope the mortal followers of Slaanesh get some love in the forth coming releases not just daemons. Maybe some sort of Mirror Guard unit like in the Total War, that would look cool on the tabletop.

• Like 2

I know this is mainly a tabletop/tactics discussion thread, but I really like the new fluff for Slaaneshi Beastherds: Slakefrays.

Slaanesh.jpg.166adb9ef34686dd1ef85bd60424f488.jpg

Imagine gold-plated horns and jewel encrusted Herdstones! Also I love the idea that they may be being drawn to Slaanesh answering some sort of primordial call from the imprisoned god with Seekers following in their wake. This perfectly justifies using Beasts battalion in a Hosts army from a fluff-perspective too!

Edited by The Darkest Soul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Darkest Soul said:

Imagine gold-plated horns and jewel encrusted Herdstones! Also I love the idea that they may be being drawn to Slaanesh answering some sort of primordial call from the imprisoned god with Seekers following in their wake. This perfectly justifies using Beasts battalion in a Hosts army from a fluff-perspective too!

Yeah it gives us the fluff support for Slaanesh-Beastman alliance, I like it. Gamewise, though, I've yet to find a good tactics to maxmize the battalion's effect.

4 hours ago, Dr.E said:

Yeah it gives us the fluff support for Slaanesh-Beastman alliance, I like it. Gamewise, though, I've yet to find a good tactics to maxmize the battalion's effect.

We can use our extra item slot for fallacious gift. Force an artifact of power on a hero who doesnt have one. Dragon ogros shaggoth would be a good choice for the hero 10wounds nice depravity point sink. The shaman with bestigors to speed them across the board also not a bad idea.

I keep thinking of tactics.

The wildfire taurus, their endless spell, has 12"+12" range, inflicting D3/D6 MWs on affected enemy units, and most importantly let them attack at the end of combat.

This is basically superior version of our artefact (cannot  name it) and it fits well us - the glass swords.

Breathtaker is what you are thinking of. I dunno if i'd call it superior. For slaanesh, we need to take a brayshaman, which isn't hard to do, but then drop another 100 points on it, and it can be turned around on us, which is harmful because Slaanesh likes its hordes, so we'd get slammed by the d6 version quite often. 

We just need to get into melee combat with our artefact carrier for it to work, which is usually going on a keeper or something that wants to brawl with a large crowd and get its shots in before retaliation.

Also @Enoby where does it allow hellstriders to stack. I thought I remember something disallowing them to stack.

The best case I can think of disallowing banners to stack is this from the faq

Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability, how many times is that ability applied when the criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6" of any models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a model that was within 6" of three models with the ability, or would I add 3 to the hit rolls?

A: The word ‘any’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘one or more’. In your example, this means that 1 would be added to the hit rolls, not 3.

But the counter I see is that it is understood by the hellstrider rule that a unit that had 2+ banners wouldn't do anything else, and that the question does "a" and "any" convey the same logical meaning. 

Edited by carnith

Yeah I've just heard its points that is quite more expensive than I thought first. I may stick to the current endless spells (e.g., the cog, geminids, palisade) waiting for upcoming Slaanesh spells...

I'm still curious if spending 300+ points for the battalion would be worth +1 CP & the second artefact for us.

Edited by Dr.E

5 hours ago, carnith said:

Also @Enoby where does it allow hellstriders to stack. I thought I remember something disallowing them to stack.

I think, as the wording of the Hellstriders is "a unit which contains any enrapturing banners", different units with banners would stack due to the use of "a" for units. A bit like how the Bloodsecrator used to stack when referring the the singular "this model", but stopped stacking when they changed the wording to "any model with this ability".  

That said, while I think it does stack RAW, I don't think that's the intention and it would not surprise me to see "a" changed to "any" in the future. 

Screenshot_20180830-135703_WH AoS.jpg

• Like 1