AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

Has anyone tried fiends? The most recent tournament list I saw for Slaanesh had 6 of them 

They have speed and combined with Hellstriders can be -2 to hit.  If you want to hold something up that is effective.  I used to use them for that purpose in GHB2017.  I used a block of 6 heavily in 8th ed and really liked them back then, and even in 6th and 7th ed 40k so I have the models.

I picked up, from somewhere, a tournament player using 2x3 as a utility unit.  Not sure if that person would still be using them in GHB2018.  They sure lack dmg output.  I was wishlisting they would come out with a mtd alluresses Monstrous Cav unit of them long ago.  Or even a Chariot pulled by one.  Just to see something different.

10 hours ago, Enoby said:

Has anyone tried fiends? The most recent tournament list I saw for Slaanesh had 6 of them in (they came 17th out of 45), but I just cannot think of a proper use for them. Their average damage seems low, and for the price of them you may as well take seekers as they're faster if you want a unit to disrupt the opponent. That said, I've never played with them so I could be missing something.

I haven’t tried them as on paper they don’t really have a niche thing they are good at. The minus 1 is ok but with the new books stating an unmodified roll of a 6 does the special effects happen then the -1 isn’t stopping enough to bipedal worthwhile. The movement and 4 wounds are good but not enough for me to take them over any other units. I am looking at some to expand my summoning pool as the extra options never hurt.

is anyone else going to the Element Games Grand Slam this weekend as I see there is a 2nd slaanesh list with 2 manticores in it.

21 hours ago, Tzeentchmike said:

The minus 1 is ok but with the new books stating an unmodified roll of a 6 does the special effects happen then the -1 isn’t stopping enough to bipedal worthwhile.

Well it at least removes one of the hits still and can make a unit "fish for 6s".

Lately I've been running one Keeper and one exalted keeper; what do you guys think of two Exalted Keepers (with only 1 being the general with 2 command traits and artefacts)?

Also for an exalted keeper with artefact - -1 To Hit in all phases, extra movement plus fly, or a 4++ against mortal wounds?

18 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

Lately I've been running one Keeper and one exalted keeper; what do you guys think of two Exalted Keepers (with only 1 being the general with 2 command traits and artefacts)?

Also for an exalted keeper with artefact - -1 To Hit in all phases, extra movement plus fly, or a 4++ against mortal wounds?

I've never ran two exalted keepers, but one has never let me down so I think 2 would be great considering they're a brutal threat. 

I'd suggest extra movement + fly, mostly for the fly. You become an excellent hero hunter with this ability, especially with devotee of torment letting you run and pile in. Tbh, the seekers host may be a good option for hero hunting, though you would miss out on your second command trait. 

On 8/22/2018 at 1:24 AM, Enoby said:

Has anyone tried fiends? The most recent tournament list I saw for Slaanesh had 6 of them in (they came 17th out of 45), but I just cannot think of a proper use for them. Their average damage seems low, and for the price of them you may as well take seekers as they're faster if you want a unit to disrupt the opponent. That said, I've never played with them so I could be missing something.

I can't for the life of me find a use for Fiends, but when we get new models for them and hopefully new rules or roles in the army, then I'm ready and waiting with wallet quivering in fear. :) 

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I've never ran two exalted keepers, but one has never let me down so I think 2 would be great considering they're a brutal threat. 

I'd suggest extra movement + fly, mostly for the fly. You become an excellent hero hunter with this ability, especially with devotee of torment letting you run and pile in. Tbh, the seekers host may be a good option for hero hunting, though you would miss out on your second command trait. 

You don't think there's a struggle for defensive durability in Slaanesh in general? I suppose the best defense is a good offense - snipe Arkhan the Black before he curse-of-yearses you, or blenderize the enemy's core units by flying over his screen. Skyre, though, still fleshmelts your general....

• Like 1

Just now, Unit1126PLL said:

You don't think there's a struggle for defensive durability in Slaanesh in general? I suppose the best defense is a good offense - snipe Arkhan the Black before he curse-of-yearses you, or blenderize the enemy's core units by flying over his screen. Skyre, though, still fleshmelts your general....

Yep, pretty much this - I've tried being more defensive, but pretty much every army out tanks us and we can't take a hit at the best of times, so I decided to stick with what we're good at. A bit like how Khorne should focus on melee rather than trying to force a horde of skull canons in the list to get some shooting, we should focus on speed and finesse because the army is designed around that.  

The exalted keeper of secrets should blend whatever it goes into - especially big heroes like Nagash, who can't easily screen against you if you fly, and you can hack away at their key units before they have the chance to react. Even when it dies, there's a good chance it'll make itself back in depravity points (hoping they're not a mortal wound spamming army).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Yep, pretty much this - I've tried being more defensive, but pretty much every army out tanks us and we can't take a hit at the best of times, so I decided to stick with what we're good at. A bit like how Khorne should focus on melee rather than trying to force a horde of skull canons in the list to get some shooting, we should focus on speed and finesse because the army is designed around that.  

The exalted keeper of secrets should blend whatever it goes into - especially big heroes like Nagash, who can't easily screen against you if you fly, and you can hack away at their key units before they have the chance to react. Even when it dies, there's a good chance it'll make itself back in depravity points (hoping they're not a mortal wound spamming army).

4" and fly then, from Aqshy. Call it the Realm of Passion and it makes sense for my Daemons to come from there....

On 8/22/2018 at 5:37 PM, Tzeentchmike said:

is anyone else going to the Element Games Grand Slam this weekend as I see there is a 2nd slaanesh list with 2 manticores in it.

That's me! Double Sorc Manticore as I think these days you want at least 3 wizards in a list and I don't really rate the foot sorc, a 2nd keeper or Archaon (and don't like the forgeworld Ex. Keeper model, especially if we're meant to be getting a big plastic next year) and want to keep all heroes Slaanesh for Depravity.

It really shows how limited Slaanesh armies are that our armies are so similar! Both at 1940 pts, the only differences are Exalted Keeper, Foot Sorc and 5 Hellstriders v small Keeper, Manticore Sorc, Foot Herald, Lord on Daemonic Mount and the Geminids of Uhl-Hysh.

Do you have high hopes for the event? I'd be fairly happy with 3 wins and 2 losses - there are a few lists there I think I'd need to be quite lucky to get a result off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boots468 said:

That's me! Double Sorc Manticore as I think these days you want at least 3 wizards in a list and I don't really rate the foot sorc, a 2nd keeper or Archaon (and don't like the forgeworld Ex. Keeper model, especially if we're meant to be getting a big plastic next year) and want to keep all heroes Slaanesh for Depravity.

It really shows how limited Slaanesh armies are that our armies are so similar! Both at 1940 pts, the only differences are Exalted Keeper, Foot Sorc and 5 Hellstriders v small Keeper, Manticore Sorc, Foot Herald, Lord on Daemonic Mount and the Geminids of Uhl-Hysh.

Do you have high hopes for the event? I'd be fairly happy with 3 wins and 2 losses - there are a few lists there I think I'd need to be quite lucky to get a result off.

Will be good to see another slaanesh list there, and your 2 manticores will be interesting to see how they get on. Realistically I am aiming for top 15 with 4 wins which I know the list is good for. Would to push for that 5th but I haven’t quite made it stick yet. The list this weekend are hard though and as tough nurgle  list first round will be interesting for me, just have to see what scenario we play. The exalted is an absolute beast though and I would always recommend her over a normal keeper, especially with the new rewording of her command ability 

Ah, I hadn't noticed the wording change on her command ability, that's pretty great. Also with her not getting reroll 1's to would inbuilt like the little keeper, the foot sorcerer's spell becomes a lot more appealing.  Her whispered temptations is a lot better then the little one's too!

I'd still feel twitchy paying so many points for a fairly fragile model, but shooting seems less prevalent these days and you're right, she'll blend anything she touches really.

The new whisper temptation isn;t that good. The hero gets reroll 1's and on a 6 they die.  The old keeper, while it does suck that they get additional attacks, is never taken cause your opponent won't take it if they can't reroll 1's. I overall think it's a useless ability.

As for slaanesh defensiveness, we work at frustrating our opponent. Tricks of being about to run and charge, halve move distances, -1 to hit aura, and reroll 6's, we are defensive but clearly not nurgle levels of resilent (who seriously thought it was cool for a basic unit to get upwards to -3 to hit in combat AND then a 5+ save after the save) 

2 hours ago, carnith said:

The new whisper temptation isn;t that good. The hero gets reroll 1's and on a 6 they die.  The old keeper, while it does suck that they get additional attacks, is never taken cause your opponent won't take it if they can't reroll 1's. I overall think it's a useless ability.

As for slaanesh defensiveness, we work at frustrating our opponent. Tricks of being about to run and charge, halve move distances, -1 to hit aura, and reroll 6's, we are defensive but clearly not nurgle levels of resilent (who seriously thought it was cool for a basic unit to get upwards to -3 to hit in combat AND then a 5+ save after the save) 

Well, the new Wispered Temptations isn't a choice for your enemy anymore, it's a flat 15% chance to kill the enemy hero selected at the end of the phase.

• Like 1

Makes me wonder if that rule will be removed with the new sculpt (assuming it will get new rules like the others did). It's cool for narrative purposes, but I have never seen it accepted. I kind of hope it's replaced with a similar ability, but one that doesn't give your opponent a choice and can be used at ranged (but doesn't instant kill either) - even a siren song that moved them closer to us would be nice.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:11 AM, Cyanid32600 said:

thanks for the advice, i did want the cygor to be a project so im happy to do some green stuffing, great idea!

Found 3 photos of the conversion.  There is also a pencil drawing of Aenerion vs a Keeper from the 6th edition HE army book.  

You may find this http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/HTML-Dateien/Naggaroth English/HTML-Dateien/Bilderseiten/Einheiten Ed6/Keeperofsecrets.htm usefull for converting the face.  My Keeper is the 1987 bull head one so I'm still fond of that look but I do quite like some reimagining.

With FW giving the big ol' FU to anyone outside of the UK this conversion is now more appealing.

opatten4.jpg.deefbebde9ad1472126a765b96a61708.jpgopatten1.jpg.6dad5194f9b1c4093f97bd85a6449315.jpg14364620_1688605788126720_3449758225865910024_n.jpg.c215efc5e0c3cb69390deb51cccabd1f.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 5:02 PM, Popisdead said:

Found 3 photos of the conversion.  There is also a pencil drawing of Aenerion vs a Keeper from the 6th edition HE army book.  

You may find this http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/HTML-Dateien/Naggaroth English/HTML-Dateien/Bilderseiten/Einheiten Ed6/Keeperofsecrets.htm usefull for converting the face.  My Keeper is the 1987 bull head one so I'm still fond of that look but I do quite like some reimagining.

With FW giving the big ol' FU to anyone outside of the UK this conversion is now more appealing.

opatten4.jpg.deefbebde9ad1472126a765b96a61708.jpgopatten1.jpg.6dad5194f9b1c4093f97bd85a6449315.jpg14364620_1688605788126720_3449758225865910024_n.jpg.c215efc5e0c3cb69390deb51cccabd1f.jpg

Amazing! Thanks so much

Pumped for a 750 point doubles tournament. My mate is running a jugger list with daemon prince and karanak. Khorne summoning has been crazy in our small practice games.

i am running a seeker host

lord on slaanesh steed, allure of slaanesh, rune blade (-3 rend).

daemon prince

10 warriors, great weapons

5 hellstriders, rapturous banner

5 knights

hoping we can hit hard and fast, then summon reinforcements. I gave lord the rune blade so he can actually cause some damage and generate dp’s. might be able to get lord, daemon prince and double piling in knights to charge first turn, then the units of juggernauts, khorne prince and general on jugger can get stuck in.

hopefully i have chosen the right artefact and trait, such a hard choice! Either way should be a fine time, just got some daemons to finish painting.

308B32F6-3515-4CD1-8CBA-54228243588D.jpeg

4AA422D0-AF3C-4DA2-AA41-69074B2A28CB.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trav said:

Pumped for a 750 point doubles tournament. My mate is running a jugger list with daemon prince and karanak. Khorne summoning has been crazy in our small practice games.

i am running a seeker host

lord on slaanesh steed, allure of slaanesh, rune blade (-3 rend).

daemon prince

10 warriors, great weapons

5 hellstriders, rapturous banner

5 knights

hoping we can hit hard and fast, then summon reinforcements. I gave lord the rune blade so he can actually cause some damage and generate dp’s. might be able to get lord, daemon prince and double piling in knights to charge first turn, then the units of juggernauts, khorne prince and general on jugger can get stuck in.

hopefully i have chosen the right artefact and trait, such a hard choice! Either way should be a fine time, just got some daemons to finish painting.

308B32F6-3515-4CD1-8CBA-54228243588D.jpeg

4AA422D0-AF3C-4DA2-AA41-69074B2A28CB.jpeg

Good luck! Your army looks great :) 

So another weekend another tournament this time at element games for their grand slam. I ran the same list as I did for blackout and this time their were no realm rules in play..

first game was against James and his nurgle who came 8th at blackout so tough draw round one. He had Rotigus, Guo 2x 30 x plaguebearers, 10x blightkings festus and horticulous and the scenario was duality of death. He went first and put the Guo on one objective and rotigus on the other failing all his spells in the hero phase. Luckily for me only the Guo was protected by plaguebearers as the 30  supporting rotigus didn’t run fast enough. In my turn one I sent the keeper and 1 unit of daemonettes against rotigus and his friends and the rest of the army against his other flanks avoiding the blight kings in the middle. The keeper made short work of rotigus attacking twice and the daemonettes took the plaguebearers down to below 20 as well with them attacking twice. The rest of the army just managed to getting the second unit of plaguebearers down to below 20 whilst the daemonettes tagged the blight kings in to stop them going for the exalted next turn. Only took a few casualties due to helstriders placements. I won the priority turn 2 and left the objective with very the keeper as I needed to clear the other objective to win, I created a nice circle with some helstriders on the objective  and then proceeded to summon a herald onto the objective, so she couldn’t score this turn but would do next turn. The keeper then charged the blightkings and proceeded to rinse 9 out of 10  of them with her double pile in, while the rest of the army continued to chew through plaguebearers. James turn 2consisted of a few mortal wounds on my manticore before charging his Guo with bell in and rolling so badly that I took no wounds whilst the keeper took care of the surrounded blight king. James won the roll for turn 3 and caused a few more mortals on the manticore with the Guo and after attacking he the manticore was down to half wounds. Horticulous killed the seekers of and he scor3d the points that put him 7 1 up. A big turn 3 was needed for me and the keeper smashed into the Guo on the objective whilst summoning a smaller keeper to help out, but he failed his charge, and once again took him off in one turn and claimed the objective. The last of the plaguebearers also died which left James with 2 hero’s but a 7 3 lead. He won the roll of for turn 4 and summoned 20 plaguebearers to try and kill the keeper as horticulous and festus also prepared to charge. James failed the charge with the plaguebearers with a reroll and his 2 hero’s took 7 wounds of the exalted before she killed them both. We called it there as all James had left was his summoned unit of 20 plaguebearers looking down my whole army. So first major win and 2240 kill points whilst only losing 240. Good start to the weekend and the keeper virtually took out his army one handed.

• Like 2

Game 2 was against  Andy and his nighthaunts which was the first time facing this army and the scenario was relocation orb. Andy a big unit of 30 reapers 20 bladegheist 10 reapers 2 x 8 unit of grave  wraiths  a knight of shrouds. Guardian of souls, spirit torment and reiknor. Andy made me go first so I swarmed the objective and bulbbled wrapped the whole objective with my whole army bar the chariot with the manticore and keeper in the middle counting as 40 models. The chariot did spectacular and killed the unit of 10 reapers with mortal wounds before I bunkered down for his turn. He ploughed the unit of 30 reapers with a roll of a 10 into the chariot and the seekers and the 20 gheists went into the seekers and helstriders on the other side and just tagged the daemonettes in. The reapers made short work of the seekers before my daemonettes piled in twice into the gheist and killed 6 of them before they fluffed their attacks completely and failed to kill any. Andy shifted his army to my right hoping for the orb to go that way but fortunately for me it went to the left. I got priority turned 2 and chose to take it to get the point as I used the manticore to chase the orb after he killed the spirit torment with winds of chaos. The keeper and 30 daemonettes charged the unit of reapers and piled in twice to take them down to half numbers whilst the other unit of daemonettes managed to killed the gheists, I lost half the daemonettes to the reapers return attacks, but had him tied down to fighting most of my army. His turn to reiknor charged the helstriders and the knight of shrouds and guardian of souls joined the reapers who gained models from the guardian of souls ,to kill all but 1 of the daemonettes who then promptly rolled a 1 for his battle shock and brought a few friends back. The exalted once again couldn’t really kill any as the 4 up save was being passed. The orb once again bounced the wrong way for Andy but he won priority and gave it to me so the manticore continued his chase. This turn proved fatal for Andy as the reborn daemonettes torn down his guardian of souls before the keeper managed to get past the saves and killed all 20 of the reapers in a turn. We played the last few turns to get kill points and I managed to collect another 1740 and a major win

• Like 1

Game 3 was against Steve and his legion of blood in total conquest he had  vhordrai, vlozd necomancer 2x 20 reapers 3 x 5 dogs and 20 skeletons. He put the 3 units of dogs down the narrow edge with his characters set back in the middle a unit of reapers in the middle whiist the second unit of reapers went to his far right with the necromaner and skeletons on his back objectives. I countered with the seekers down the narrow part daemonettes on the middle and the right with the keeper in support. He went first and pushed all 3 units off dogs onto the objective whilst the middle reapers ran forward and the others advanced onto the far objective to score him 3 points. My turn I I sent a unit of daemonettes and the keeper towards the dogs and all the grave sites there whilst the second unit of daemonettes went against the reapers in the middle. The seekers redeployed to the middle as they didn’t fancy 20 reapers again. I spent the command points on the keeper and the daemonettes in the middle to get them to attack twice and they took out all the reapers for minimum loss whilst the keeper killed 2 units of dogs with the second units of daemonettes killing the third unit to bring me level on points. Won the roll of for turn 2 and sent the keeper and middle unit of daemonettes dragon hunting whilst the seekers came back and circled my manticore near my objective. The keeper and daemonettes charged the vlozd and proceeded to fluff whilst he took his vengeance on the daemonettes killing them all. Luckily the vlozd was giving the exalteds temptation and I proceeded to roll a 6 to kill him off immediately. His turn 2the second unit of reapers ran to try’s and get back into the fight whilst vhodrai charged my keeper and took him off in combat. The score was 5 all and he won priority turn 3 charging vhordrai in to the second units of daemonettes and my chariot whilst the reapers charged the seekers the seekers were destroyed and the chariot was down to its last wound but managed to take 8 wounds off of vhordrai with the help of the daemonettes. My turn 3 I summoned a unit of 20 daemonettes to protect my home objective from the chainrasps and tagged the manticore in to to the flank of them so that only a coupl could attack and pinned them down. The helstriders charged his skeletons on his objective to try and thin some them down  whilst the daemonettes killed vhordrai. Score was still 7 all but I won priority on turn 4 and summoned a second unit of 20 daemonettes on my in between the 2 objectives on my right whilst the unit summoned last turn charged the reapers. The helstriders retreated from the skeletons and managed to run onto his other empty objective on the other side of the battlefield before the daemonettes torn the unit of reapers apart to take my third win of the day and 1940 Kps

• Like 1

Just realised how long this is taking so will quickly summarise the last 2 games. Game 4 was against tony and his nagash vhordrai and vlozd lin shifting objectives tony made me go first so I put some chaff on the objectives to score 5 before he came and smashed them off the objective. I got the priority and sent the keeper in to nagash and a unit of daemonettes in to the other 2 characters  and had all 3 units pile in and attack twice. I did 5 wounds to nagash and 3 to the vlozd. Tony then started wiping my army off and won the next priority to make it comfortable, I kept in the objective game for as long as possible but in the end tony had a well deserved tabling and I had scored 60 kps. Harsh game on a scenario that I felt I had an advantage for.

Game 4 was against Mark and his clan skyre another army I haven’t faced in focal points I made the mistake of not asking him how close he can tunnel and was then promptly found out as all my hero’s were Killed by the storm fiends and warp fire throwers so I only had the Sorceror on foot left. My turn 1 I had managed to return the favour by killing 5 of the 6 stormfiends with 1 units of daemonettes whilst the others tore though 30 acolytes to put me 8 4 up. I won the priority and it was all over bar the killpoints as both units of daemonettes torn through everything within reach and absolutely brutal game but Mark was great fun to play and took the carnage in his stride as I racked up another 1960 kps.

final results came and I had managed to place 5th out of 52 and achieved best in alliance as we,, as a painting nomination so was a good result all around. So the question can slaanesh win a tournament and gets that 5th win, in my mind no question about it we have the units available to do it and with our summoning the in game options to change things if needed. Cheers to boots468 for the company and nice to see another slaanesh player on the scene

• Like 3

Congratulations Tzeentchmike :) Those reports were really interesting, so thanks for writing them up. 

How do you feel about where Slaanesh stands power-wise at the moment? Reckon we're in a league with the big boys? 

Edited by Enoby