AoS 2 - Hosts of Slaanesh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Discussion Question: When we get battalions, what would we receive? What units are involved, and what benefits would they get?

Conclave of Depravity

Units:

Keeper of Secrets

Lord of Slaanesh on Mount

1-3 Additional SLAANESH HEROES

Effects: As long as a hero is wholly within 6 " of another hero, ever point of depravity generated generates an extra point. 

Would be super strong, but it's a battalions of heroes. Maybe disallow Heralds so that it can be cheesed with easy heroes. 

• Like 2

I can see something like that happening. The nice thing is, pretty much all Slaanesh units are useful and can have a place in any army, subject to your game plan, so any battalion they come up with should be usable, unlike many other armies... 

Perhaps a battalion full of chariots led by a Herald on Exalted Chariot. 

Another one with multiple units of daemonettes and a herald.

I'm sure Seekers and Hellstriders will feature as well.

Keep in mind that, if the new stormcast tome is anything to go by, battalions are being toned down in terms of abilities. A lot of stormcast battalions went from giving 2-3 abilities to just 1, and a toned down ability at that. Now that the battalion gives an extra command point in addition to an artifact and reduced drops I think this is probably OK. 

hmm should update mine to be something to do with 6. Perhaps it would be 1-4 additional heroes. I could see it base be nominate a hero in the hero phase that in is within 6" of another hero from this battalion, this hero generates double depravity. Maybe at max heroes, some upgraded benefit, like select 2 units? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Considering Slaanesh get depravity point summoning on top of host abilities I think they are doing fine. When the book drops I would expect some more artifact tables, maybe a mortal and daemon split like the other chaos factions, and maybe a spell lore.  That would flesh them out nicely.

As of the latest FAQ, there is no mortal and daemon split in the artifact tables for the other factions. So I guesse we won't see any additional artifacts.

Looking at how nighthaunt has been upgraded from a GHB army to a battletome army - they kept some core themes, but had many upgrades to their allegiance abilities, and I think their artefacts may have changed.  

@Drib thats not the case. The FAQ clarification was to ensure that all artifacts, even if they are not called artifacts, count as artifacts for those scenarios where objectives can only be taken by a hero with an artifact. Using Khorne as an example, you still need to have the daemon keyword to take a daemonic weapon or adornment.

Even if they dont split mortal & daemon artifacts for Slaanesh, they could still give us another table or two for some variety. 

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Drib thats not the case. The FAQ clarification was to ensure that all artifacts, even if they are not called artifacts, count as artifacts for those scenarios where objectives can only be taken by a hero with an artifact. Using Khorne as an example, you still need to have the daemon keyword to take a daemonic weapon or adornment.

Even if they dont split mortal & daemon artifacts for Slaanesh, they could still give us another table or two for some variety. 

"Page 78 – Daemonic Gifts

Delete the Daemonic Gifts title, introduction and rules paragraphs (Daemonic Gifts are now artefacts of power)."

You are right. I thought "delete the [...] rules paragraphs" was ment for the restriction too, but re-reading I see were I went wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

This is one of the lists im thinking about bringing to a tournament, its very alphastriky and wont last very long if the battle goes long. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Seekers

Leaders
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Daemon Prince Of Slaanesh(160)
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff

Battleline
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh(100)
- Claw spear
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh(270)
- Claw spear

Units
15 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (360)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

so the plan is to buff the seekers with demonic power, and keeper command ability. Buff the daemon princes with lord of chaos command abiltys. Preferably get into combat turn one, strike with seekers first, and then chose them again after and let the princes use their strike first ability. And everything else runs forward, hellstriders could get into combat to debuff or just grab objectives. Chaos lords are mostly on objevtive duty, with their ability the revive as a spawn if they get shot.

turn 2, buff the daemonettes with demonic power and keeper, try getting in to combat and fight twice! 

well best case scenario, but this can happen on later rounds to, with seekers host its very easy to get the charges i want, but the problem is how fast everything dies. So it will probably be fast and deadly. But with breathtaker you can get some favorable fights against large units. I played alot of slaanesh but mostly i play 70-90 daemonettes , so this is something a bit faster and more fragile! I tried it once but it was against a gunline so it was a pretty easy win, since i got control of all objectives round one

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Slaanesh said:

This is one of the lists im thinking about bringing to a tournament, its very alphastriky and wont last very long if the battle goes long. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Seekers

Leaders
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff

Battleline
- Claw spear
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh(270)
- Claw spear

Units
15 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (360)

Total: 1850 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123

so the plan is to buff the seekers with demonic power, and keeper command ability. Buff the daemon princes with lord of chaos command abiltys. Preferably get into combat turn one, strike with seekers first, and then chose them again after and let the princes use their strike first ability. And everything else runs forward, hellstriders could get into combat to debuff or just grab objectives. Chaos lords are mostly on objevtive duty, with their ability the revive as a spawn if they get shot.

turn 2, buff the daemonettes with demonic power and keeper, try getting in to combat and fight twice! 

well best case scenario, but this can happen on later rounds to, with seekers host its very easy to get the charges i want, but the problem is how fast everything dies. So it will probably be fast and deadly. But with breathtaker you can get some favorable fights against large units. I played alot of slaanesh but mostly i play 70-90 daemonettes , so this is something a bit faster and more fragile! I tried it once but it was against a gunline so it was a pretty easy win, since i got control of all objectives round one

Definitely different and I like it but I don’t know how much damage you are expecting the seekers to do as in my experience they don’t do a lot. Perfect for small character assassination and general harassement and objective grabbing but not a main fighting unit. It’s the same with the daemon princes they just don’t do the damage that you expect them too.

Yeah, I don't like seekers. They don't have the range to be more than a min squad, unless you just want ablative wounds, though they did get a buff in the form of them gaining d6 seekers instead of d3 like it used to be on battleshocks of 1. I wanna try out more daemon princes in my list since I currently uses exalted seeker chariots, though a decent roadblock, they end up not performing as well as I'd like. 

6 hours ago, carnith said:

Yeah, I don't like seekers. They don't have the range to be more than a min squad, unless you just want ablative wounds, though they did get a buff in the form of them gaining d6 seekers instead of d3 like it used to be on battleshocks of 1. I wanna try out more daemon princes in my list since I currently uses exalted seeker chariots, though a decent roadblock, they end up not performing as well as I'd like. 

I quite like seekers they definitely have their uses and their speed allows them to stay out of trouble. I also use my unit of 10 as bubble wrap as needs be it does take quite a bit to get through them. Also summoning 5 of them is also handy to pop up and charge onto an objective to outnumber smaller units, especially when using the seekers host as the plus 2 to charge makes a big difference.

8 hours ago, Cyanid32600 said:

looking to add a Cygor into my Slaanesh list anyone had experience of this? any good?

One if my club mates ran 2 in his brayherd list but they don't seem to do a lot. The unbind is nice but with no modifiers it's hard to stop spells consistently. The shooting attack only hits on 4s so you can't rely on it and they are really bad in combat. Saying that they are lovely looking models 

1 hour ago, Tzeentchmike said:

One if my club mates ran 2 in his brayherd list but they don't seem to do a lot. The unbind is nice but with no modifiers it's hard to stop spells consistently. The shooting attack only hits on 4s so you can't rely on it and they are really bad in combat. Saying that they are lovely looking models 

It was his that made me wanna get one, thought it could plug up a weakness in my list

9 hours ago, Cyanid32600 said:

Not being able to unbind and not having a big "distraction" piece

The Keeper of Secrets (or the exalted version) may be a better choice :) they get to cast and unbind, and have a surprisingly high damage output 

• Like 1

Has anyone had the opportunity to battle some nighthaunts? I played my buddy last night at it was so one sided in his favor it just wasnt very fun. Anyone have some general tactics to use against this army I could try out? They are just so bloody resilient and hit so hard I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.

I had: 1 Keeper of Secrets, 1 Herald on Foot, 1 Herald on Seeker Chariot, 2x20 Daemonettes, 5 Hellstriders, and 1 Hellflayer

He had: 1 Knight of Shrouds on Nightmare, 1 Guardian of Souls, 2 Chainghasts, 2x10 Bladegheist Revenants, 20ish Chainrasps, and the shroudguard battalion

We played Take and Hold but did it wrong and just sort of started brawling. But turn 3 I got a coordinated charge of all 40 daemonettes and my keeper into a unit of bladegheists and his knight of shrouds. I even popped the Icon of Infinite Excess. But it wasn't excessive enough. I killed the knight, but not quite all the bladegheists. Then in his turn he casts some spell that brings the entire bladegheist unit back from the dead! After that he sort of just started piling on from all sides after rolling over the chariots. It was brutal.

Overall I didnt think I rolled particularly poorly or misplayed myself tactically. And while his list has all sorts of synergy, I felt like what he brought was just typical run of the mill nighthaunt stuff! If anyone has some insight into what I can do to be more competitive against the ghosties I'd appreciate it! 

I played a a 2v1 with me versus nighthaunt and a Grand Host. I didn't have much fear, but it wasn't a full night haunt. Making them fight daemonettes first, reroll 6's and hellstriders, they get a lot less scary.  I kind of want to go against some harder lists. There is a 45 snake dok list that someone shows up. Someone has deepkin. I end up fighting stormcast and brayherds a lot, which I've just gotten used to their tricks.