AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

Hello everyone, I would like to create an army of death, I have the AOS base box 2.0 , and a "Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon", could you help me make a list?
I was thinking of starting with about 1250 points, and then increasing it to 2000 ( hello Nagash).

Something like this?

LEADERS
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Spirit Torment (120)
Necromancer (110)
UNITS
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Blades
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

TOTAL: 1250/1250 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 89
LEADERS: 4/4 BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 ARTILLERY: 0/2
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/200

Hello all, I have a friend who really wants to start AoS. He loves winning and his dream is to use Nagash. I had a conversation with him about how Nagash is a great lead singer, but he still needs the rest of the band to put on a show! He's asked me to put together a list for him, but I have never played death, so I'm not sure if it's as decent as it seems to me. The primary aim is to make a 1k list that can win on a good day and put up a fight on a bad day, with a secondary aim of it being a 1k list that transfers easily into 2K. I'll post the list and explain my reasoning below.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders:

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - General

- Aura of Ages

Wight King with Black Axe

- Balefire Lantern

Units:

10 Grave Guard with great wight blades

2 Morghast Archai with halberds

5 Dire Wolves

This comes to 1k exactly. Aura of Ages and Balefire Lantern protect his heroes (the core of a death army if my research is on point), and putting the artefact on the wight king means he has an easier time scoring points for objectives; as many battleplans count either a wizard or a hero with an artefact for the sake of determining victory, so he may as well split them up. From this he can get Nagash and another box of both the grave guard and morghasts for 2k - shelving the wight king and wolves to make room for the big boys.

As far as troops are concerned; dire wolves are just there to be bubblewrap, and grave guard are there to be targeted by the resurrection abilities of the graveyards and the vamp, since such abilities seem most cost effective when targeting elite, 1 wound models.

All C+C is welcome, especially the budget friendly variety.

P.S:

On 8/8/2018 at 9:01 AM, konradduncan said:

ARTEFACTS: 0/1

My friend, every army gets at least one artefact! And a command trait! Feel free to copy the ones I listed above as they seem like a pretty effective combination to keep your vamp safe.

4 hours ago, Rekmeister said:

He loves winning and his dream is to use Nagash.

Sooo if he wants to play the one hat to end all hats ...

1k: Nagash, 5/5/5 Wolves 980...

1,5k: Nagash, 10 wolves, 2x2harbringer, vampirelord 

2k: Nagash, 5/5/5 wolves, 4harbringer, vampirelord, necromancer, 40 Skellis...1950

not overly competitive if your opponent is able to deal with big N... but fun and all the other models have their uses in a variety of different lists. 

Things to write on wishlists:

vamp-lord on dragon

40 skellis 

A mortarch-box

malign sorcery box

for a new player I would really suggest starting with 750-1000 points to get the feel for the game and the most comfortable style.

I have not used any of the new nighthaunt, not really my style, but the really have good options with the chainrasp horde or the grimghast reapers...

Edited by Honk

• 2 weeks later...

Dreamed up this list today. Bit concerned with how many points are spent on heroes but it just seems pretty tasty. 

Nagash

Neferata

Necromancer

40x Skellies

30x Chainrasp Horde

5x Dire Wolves

Spell Portal 

1950 points

Idea is to make Nagash immune to rend and if it doesnt look like the skellies are going to be removed in the game use the extra command point on Neferata's command ability to make the ultimate attrition force, which definatley packs a punch! 

Also there's an option to drop the 30 chainrasps and the spell portal and swap in 40 more skeletons and take shackles for 1950 points again. 

or 

Drop the chainrasps to 20 take and extra unit of Dire Wolves and take the shackles.

Interested to hear your thoughts. 

On 8/12/2018 at 11:01 AM, Rekmeister said:

about how Nagash is a great lead singer

Don’t want to be rude, but come on, really?! Yes, he does sing, but his real might was shown at the bass guitar...

6 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Well, try it. Not sure if a big hero is the right thing for a Nagash list, you’ll always struggle to claim objectives. Also I fear you will struggle to get all the command points you‘ll want. Big Ns command ability rules supreme, armywide mystic shield and more. 

Maybe neferatas 400 points are better spend elsewhere, but I haven’t tried the combination yet...

Been having some success with this list. 

Nagash

Necro

Cairn Wraith

30 Grim Reapers

40 Chainrasps

2 Morghasts

5 Wolves 

Spell Portal

Comes to 1950 for extra command point.  I know.... no Skeletons, but Rasps are harder to take apart.   They dont deteriorate as much as skeletons and have decent damage output with Nagash buffs.  People seem to be down on Morgasts due to non summonable, but that extra attack and being battleline is hard to pass up.   They are a great hammer, and a decent distraction opposite the big guy.   People tend to ignore the Cairn Wraith, but he packs a small punch and another hero is required to spread deathless minions.  With the right relic such as the Sword of Judgement, this little guy could end up being quite a surprise.   I could maybe drop 10 Rasps to fit in a Lord Executioner, but i think 40 is a good number.  In the end, just trying to think outside the box a little.... Plus the army looks great all painted up with the new units.  

• Like 1

Thought about similar kind of list! What is VHD? Some you said that you always take skeletons, VHD, and grimghasts! Vhordai?

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern 
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Spirit Halberds
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

Dreamed up this list today. Bit concerned with how many points are spent on heroes but it just seems pretty tasty. 

Nagash

Neferata

Necromancer

40x Skellies

30x Chainrasp Horde

5x Dire Wolves

Spell Portal 

1950 points

I think you lack combat power! The greates strenght is Neferata aura!

Edited by MałyKocoń

1 hour ago, MałyKocoń said:

Thought about similar kind of list! What is VHD? Some you said that you always take skeletons, VHD, and grimghasts! Vhordai?

I am assuming it stands for Vanhel's Danse Macabre, a necromancers warscroll spell which makes a summonable unit able to pile in and attack twice in your next combat phase. 

1 hour ago, MałyKocoń said:

I think you lack combat power! The greates strenght is Neferata aura!

I agree. I have gone off the list to be honest. It was a bit of a Eureka moment followed by the relisation as I played it out in my head that 400 points is a lot to spend on making Nagash immune to rend. Nefferata isn't up to much without her command ability. 

Looking at this list now and will try it out tonight. 

Grand Host of Nagash:

VLoZD (General, Lord of Nagashazzir, Etheral Amulet, Vile Transferance)

Neferata (Overwhelming Dread)

Necromancer (Fadind Vigor)

VL ((Flying, Amaranthine Orb) too much fun on a 9+ cast)

40x Skellies (Spears)

30x Chainrasps

5x Dire Wolves

2x Morghast Harbingers (Spirit Halbreds)

Then im not sure if i want to use cogs or another unit of Dogs for 1950...

I will decide on the drive home. 

On 8/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, Teuchter said:

I am assuming it stands for Vanhel's Danse Macabre, a necromancers warscroll spell which makes a summonable unit able to pile in and attack twice in your next combat phase. 

I agree. I have gone off the list to be honest. It was a bit of a Eureka moment followed by the relisation as I played it out in my head that 400 points is a lot to spend on making Nagash immune to rend. Nefferata isn't up to much without her command ability. 

Looking at this list now and will try it out tonight. 

Grand Host of Nagash:

VLoZD (General, Lord of Nagashazzir, Etheral Amulet, Vile Transferance)

Neferata (Overwhelming Dread)

Necromancer (Fadind Vigor)

VL ((Flying, Amaranthine Orb) too much fun on a 9+ cast)

40x Skellies (Spears)

30x Chainrasps

5x Dire Wolves

2x Morghast Harbingers (Spirit Halbreds)

Then im not sure if i want to use cogs or another unit of Dogs for 1950...

I will decide on the drive home. 

Played it last night against an objectively super competitive Daughters of Khaine list and player. Felt pretty good, however a few serious misplays by me in hindsight cost me the game. Also this DoK list puts out a serious number of attacks, I cant even imagine what it would have done to me without Neferatas Command ability giving them minus 1 to hit. Had minus 2 on morathi but she was still just chewing through me!

However I have decided to paint up my Nagash:

Nagash, 

Necro,

VL (Flying)

30 Grimghasts

40 Skellies

10 Chainrasps

2x5 Dire Wolves

Spell Portal

19 hours ago, CanHammer-darren said:

might as well run first battallion

It’s 160 points... that’s a pretty solid price tag. And you need a bunch of supplementary units. But :

713EA38F-8ADA-43CD-A295-4689DFEB6963.jpeg

Comes with an extra CP and you‘ll need it to run your 10 strong skellis to somewhere interesting. Really suffers from low body count and slow footslogging.

also, instead of being able to run 2x2 harbringer separately away from big N, they’ll all have to stay in one big murderball... devastating but no board control whatsoever 

Edited by Honk

Not tried the first cohort, but honestly I am not too tempted to either. If i did I think it would change it up a little. 

Nagash

Necro 

2x Archai

2x 40 Skellies

1x 10 Skellies

First Cohort

Spell Portal

Gives you more board control and Nagash does not need 4 morghast to make a deathball. He is a death ball already! :) 

Ill give my new list a try with the Grimghast which look like they will be pretty sweet. going to do a few weeks of list tinkering before my next event, then get a few weeks of "no changes to the list" practice.

• Haha 1

With the earlier talk about 1k Nagash lists you have the obvious weakness of no real objective holding, I'd like to lose a question.

I'm participating in. 1k doubles with my partner being ironjawz running maw krusha , 6 pigs 10 boys a warchanter and pendulum.

Now I have 1 k to play around with and was thinking the big N himself, with the aforementioned allies do people think nagash /dire/dire would be a decent choice to play alongside this? 

Realm rules would be in effect for extra free spells and endless spells are shared between team mates.

6 hours ago, Moogypies said:

would be a decent choice to play alongside this? 

Depends on your overall goals...

to have fun, yes, just go for it, especially when going against 2 other „friends“ who are not getting salty.

played Nagash at 2k first cohort, and at 1,5k, he is always fun to bring and can take as good as he dished out. You two really need to have a plan for objectives, but Nagash with 10 puppies grabbing one, 5 on watch/flanking duty... you should be allright. Strong melee or nurgle grind might just hardcounter you. 

hi not sure where to post it but i cant find a decent LoN group anywhere but here

i just got into AoS and got a Malign portents box, nighthaunt from soulwars, 20 Direwolves, the Grand alliance death battleforce, Nagash, and a box of skellies

currently im thinking of my 2k list to be

Nagash, 30 skellies, 3x5 Direwolves,2 Morghasts, Arkhan,20 Chainwrasps and an umbral spell portal

hows this list for you guys?

also, i have a couple questions

What spells do you give nagash?

do i need more wizards for him to take spells or is this fine?

is arkhan worth it or are other mortarchs better?

if i can choose a realm spell which do i take?

most importantly, how do you keep Nagash alive? do u play him far away? does he ever go into combat?, what buffs do u give him to make him survivable

sorry for the bomb of questions, really excited to start but i cant find a place to ask :) no one in my FLGS has LoN yet so internets my answer :))

So first of all, you did the right thing, joining GA:Death. Nagash is pleased, from here on life/undeath is peachy...

just build your models and mush them into a list and start playing, the competitive side of AoS will come in time afterwards.

playing big N is very straight forward and might be a bit tricky scoring points. You give him vile transference, overwhelming dread and since Arkhan is there soul harvest(9“ mw Aura spam with 5+ regen). That should regenerate him pretty fast. Nagash is not really fit for heavy close combat, so you need to watch his flanks and prevent countercharges. He can and has to punch some faces to reclaim  his points, but spirit of durthu and things like that can cripple him pretty fast. Same goes for heavy shooting, he does carry a big hit me first sign...maybe first cohort then, if local meta is shooty 

first addition might be a necromancer, skellis with van hels are pretty good.

arkhan is good, other mortarchs kinda fail against the vlozd in points/performance especially playing realm rules with ethereal cloak and some generals ability...

first rule: enjoy

the Rest is kinda trial and error ??

Aaaand as icing on the cake, within 18“ they know each other’s spells... as well as from all other death wizzards.

So both could hand of dust, both could soulsteal or CoY...

and both can reroll deathly invocation ( for max 9 units...)

madness for 1120 points...

I would recommend 5 wolves and 2x40 skellis with a necro and a spellportal for 1910 an extra command point and a triumph. I don’t play nighthaunt, so I have no idea if 30 grimghast or chainrasp thingies with a second wolfsquad is an option

Edited by Honk

• 3 weeks later...

We have a small tournament coming up and I want to try the following list:

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem  
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
- Spirit Halberds

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 110

I already played with Grimghast and 2x40 skellis but I just like the Morghasts models and was looking to fit them in an army. What do you think about that list.

• Like 1

I’ve brought forth a completely different kind of list: going for a speedy list that’s very aggressive. 

Moving 10” forward for my Skeletons and Graveguard, 11” for my Morghasts and 16” for my Black Knights I should be able to close the distance easily. 

The spell portal is to help my necromancers still remain capable of casting VHD and supporting whilst not having to keep up since they removed the mounted option. 

I also gain a flat +1 attack for my Deathrattle for my command trait, or I could choose the ability to re-roll charges. I picked the Mortis Engine, Vampire Lord and a defensive artifact to keep my fragile 5 wound hero alive through heals, hopefully, in addition to providing support to make casting spells easier and more attacks respectively. 

It should be fairly easy to drop Cogs turn 1 and get everyone stuck in ASAP then set up spell portal for debuffs or VHD. 

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone run a list like this before, but to me it feels like my 2nd main army: The Ironjawz with an Ironfist Battalion! 

Depending on what I want to do I can get Black Knights with 20 attacks 3/3/-/2, plus another 20 4/5/-/1 then possibly VHD, which should put a clinic on anything they rush. 

Grave Guard on the other hand can be putting out 40 attacks 3/3/-1/1 with a chance for double damage, and another 40 with VHD. 

My Skeletons of course will just be nasty, at least the big 40 man block, putting out probably 100 attacks on average. A maximum of 200 and 400 if VHD. 

The Morghasts as well can get up to 10 at 3/3/-2/3, Which is pretty deadly all things considered. Up to 30 damage if a miracle happens. 

With several threats and almost everything able to be regenerated via Graveyards, Deathly Invocations and lucky rolls on Legions Innumerable it will be difficult to displace or kill anything between my healing network. 

Thoughts on such a list? 

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade(120)
- General
- Mount: Steed
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar  
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Wight King with Black Axe (120)
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Grave Guard (160)
- Great Wight Blades

Units
5 x Black Knights (120)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Deathmarch (160)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 129

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hot Peanut said:

What do you think about that list.

I would switch spells around a bit, to secure more healing with Big N. Maybe he should get VT and the vamp the orb. As said before, objective grabbing  will hard, so you have to play pretty aggressive.

portal-hod combo is strong, but I really like necro on vortex better. Casting OD and van hels while having +1 save just feels right to me...

with the morghast I like the fast harbringer more, but if your meta is mw heavy, the extra save may be needed.

6 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Thoughts on such a list

Fresh new take, really digging it.

March and cogs makes them bones quick again.

As said above, like the vortex more than the portal, but whatever...

Best of luck to both of you!!