AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

Tbh I want to use him because I've had him painted for a while now but I keep playing Arkhan instead :D With the new edition coming out I have a few combos I want to try out like Mannfred+Vhordrai and this reroll list is one of them haha

On 6/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, Arentius said:

The reason a wight king is worth it IMO is rules state nothing about re using a command ability more than once (in fact several of the preview videos on YouTube showcase using the same command ability per turn) 

with that being the my basis for this until faq’d a wight king can lord of bones a unit more than once or on multiple units.

i mean even 2 command points puts a 40 man skeleton unit to 5 attacks, then one for nagashizzar...followed by a van hels.

Just to echo what a few other people have said, the Vampire Lord outperforms the Wight King in almost every aspect for the cost of +20 points.  You get a spell/unbind, a longer range Deathly Invocation (and a 3rd unit - essential with lots of summonable units), +1" move with the option of wings/steed to add fly and extra range and although it's 3" shorter - the same command ability for any death unit.

That's not to say that my Wight King doesn't get played - he's essential for the Death March battalion for starters and you can't beat the visual effect of a horde of skeletons following their undead King.  He's also rock solid in Skirmish.  Sadly though, with the way things are pointed, he just doesn't give enough bang for his buck in a matched play game in comparison to the Vampire Lord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

he's essential for the Death March battalion for starters and you can't beat the visual effect of a horde of skeletons following their undead King. 

The main reasons why I always choose the WK. They really do perform fantastically in CC as well - they're not shy! 

12 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Just to echo what a few other people have said, the Vampire Lord outperforms the Wight King in almost every aspect for the cost of +20 points.  You get a spell/unbind, a longer range Deathly Invocation (and a 3rd unit - essential with lots of summonable units), +1" move with the option of wings/steed to add fly and extra range and although it's 3" shorter - the same command ability for any death unit.

That's not to say that my Wight King doesn't get played - he's essential for the Death March battalion for starters and you can't beat the visual effect of a horde of skeletons following their undead King.  He's also rock solid in Skirmish.  Sadly though, with the way things are pointed, he just doesn't give enough bang for his buck in a matched play game in comparison to the Vampire Lord.

So a question then, if that 20 points was the difference between having a command point or not, would you pick the vampire lord and lose the cp or take the wk and keep it?

In honor of today's reveal, what about this?

Grand Host of Nagash

Nagash

Lady Olynder

Necromancer

40 x Skeletons

40 x Skeletons

10 x Dogs

10 x Dogs

1950 points, 143 wounds, +1CP

Olynder's spell combos well with Necro's Dread to put an enemy unit at -2 to hit and has Nagash hitting it on a 2+ in melee.  

Necro's Gravesand artefact combos well with Olynder's Gravesand ability to deal D3 + D6 MW to enemy hero and a further 1 MW per round on a 4+.

If they focus Olynder to remove her, it's just more time for Nagash to do his thing.

If they focus Nagash to contain him, well, her smallish 7W becomes less of a problem.

The dogs could be anything really... a unit of Morghasts to be more killy, perhaps... but I kinda like the mobile meatshields.

ADDED BONUS:  Paint a tuxedo on Nagash and you have a morbid, Tim Burton-esque Bride and Groom combo.

Edited by Lemon Knuckles
  • Like 1

I'd honestly rather run Olinder in a sacrament list with Arkhan, but since we are in the Grand Host thread I'll echo what Sception is saying: Nagash loves his mirrors. Otherwise the list looks cool.

EDIT: Lady Olinder counts as ally right?

Edited by smucreo

11 hours ago, Sception said:

Would want to find room for some endless spells.  Pallisades could be the difference between undeath and just just death for olynder, but even more than that, Nagash, vain as he is, would never leave the house without his mirrors.

Drop 1 unit of Dogs to 5 and add Mirrors.

9 hours ago, smucreo said:

I'd honestly rather run Olinder in a sacrament list with Arkhan, but since we are in the Grand Host thread I'll echo what Sception is saying: Nagash loves his mirrors. Otherwise the list looks cool.

EDIT: Lady Olinder counts as ally right?

Why with Arkhan?  Seems like a less useful pairing to me?

And yes, she counts as an ally.

Hello fellow Lords of Undeath,

Joining Age of Sigmar for this new edition, I am considering a small-model-count Grand Host of Nagash army. I simply love the look of the Morghasts. 

However my heart is torn between two options : More Morghasts or more Grave Guards ? I never played Death, or Age of Sigmar for that matter, so I would love to get your feedback about what is more fun, and (secondary) more efficient ? Thanks in advance !

List 1

(1) Nagash [800pts]

(2) Morghast Archai [220pts]

(5) Grave Guards [80pts]

(5) Grave Guards [80pts]

(5) Grave Guards [80pts]

(5) Grave Guards [80pts]

List 2

(1) Nagash [800pts]

(10) Grave Guards [160pts]

(5) Grave Guards [80pts]

(1) First Cohort Battalion [160pts]

Thank you very much in advance for your answers !

Hello everyone,

Assembled my first skeletons yesterday (27 of them, converted some sepulchral guard to have spears since I wanted some different poses in the unit).  Below is the list I am building towards, and with Lady Olynders rules, I thought I'd add her in. Yes the list is incredibly hero heavy, but I am also slinging a lot of spells. I am debating on if I need the black knights and could take some endless spells istead, while beefing up a fold unit or taking a 20 man skelton unit instead of a unit of wolves, but I am trying to stay away from a "horde" army. List works out to an even 2k! C&C appreciated.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Fading Vigour (Deathmages)

Lady Olynder (240)
 - 2 spells - no idea yet, comments welcome!

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
10 x Black Knights (240)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 114

Thanks!

11 hours ago, PUFNSTUF said:
Lady Olynder (240)
 - 2 spells - no idea yet, comments welcome!

Just as a heads up Lady Olynder doesn't have the Deathlords keyword (or at least the warscroll on the community site doesn't), which means she won't be able to pick an extra spell from the Lore of Death.

You also don't have a regular hero, so going to be missing out on an artefact.

15 hours ago, Alaric83 said:

However my heart is torn between two options : More Morghasts or more Grave Guards ? I never played Death, or Age of Sigmar for that matter, so I would love to get your feedback about what is more fun, and (secondary) more efficient ? Thanks in advance !

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Personally if you're running Nagash and Morghasts, I'd always look to run The First Cohort.  I'd probably lump the 4 Morghasts into 1 unit.  Where you may struggle is the 3 Deathrattle units.  10 Graveguard on their own is very easy to wipe out (and 5 even easier) and although in the new edition you can bring them back 1 command point is quite a hefty cost for such a small unit.  You could run 2 units of 15 and a unit of 5, or replace that unit of 5 with a unit of 10 skeletons (more wounds).

40 minutes ago, Sception said:

quite annoyed that Olynder isn't a deathlord

+1

not quite sure if the keyword deathlord is just a leftover from the first approaches for AoS and the first ghb, but why carry it over if it doesn’t carry weight and how could a mortarch not be a lord of the death armies ??‍♀️

12 minutes ago, Sception said:

This is probably true, but still depends heavily on content we haven't seen yet, so it's best not to go counting unhatched chickens, imo.

Well, for now I'd count it as highly unlikely for a long while. Considering all Death got in these last few months I'd say they will probably start focusing on Destruction next, and also since Soulblight appear on the LoN battletome as an allegiance I wouldn't hold my breath for now.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

10 Graveguard on their own is very easy to wipe out (and 5 even easier) and although in the new edition you can bring them back 1 command point is quite a hefty cost for such a small unit.  You could run 2 units of 15 and a unit of 5, or replace that unit of 5 with a unit of 10 skeletons (more wounds).

Is 10 skeletons better than 10 Grave Guard? I know it's less expensive so there's potentially more room for endless spells and such, but 10 Grave Guard can still output some decent damage right?

2 minutes ago, Drujeful said:

Is 10 skeletons better than 10 Grave Guard? I know it's less expensive so there's potentially more room for endless spells and such, but 10 Grave Guard can still output some decent damage right?

Not in the slightest.  But 10 Grave Guard are twice the points of 10 Skeletons ;)  10 Grave Guard can push out a very decent amount of damage, where you may struggle is that it's not difficult to put out enough wounds to wipe the unit out entirely.  If you can push the unit to 15 you should at least have one or two left so you can resurrect some with gravesites/DI.

I'd never run a unit of 5 Grave Guard though, most things in the game would remove that without any effort - a unit of 10 skeletons (also 80 points) has double the number of wounds, so though less offensive they have a bit more sticking power.

So after visiting my local shop and perusing the new artifacts and whatnot a very fun combo has popped up to make the lord executioner one of the best hero killers.

You’ll need 1 lord executioner, 1 guardian of souls and 1 vampire lord.

the lord executioner from shyish has a lifeender artifact (increase weapon damage by 2 on a 6+ wound roll) this combines with his normal ability so 6’s do 5 wounds now...guardian of souls to make it pop on 5’s and the vampire lord to give him extra attacks 

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Not in the slightest.  But 10 Grave Guard are twice the points of 10 Skeletons ;)  10 Grave Guard can push out a very decent amount of damage, where you may struggle is that it's not difficult to put out enough wounds to wipe the unit out entirely.  If you can push the unit to 15 you should at least have one or two left so you can resurrect some with gravesites/DI.

I'd never run a unit of 5 Grave Guard though, most things in the game would remove that without any effort - a unit of 10 skeletons (also 80 points) has double the number of wounds, so though less offensive they have a bit more sticking power.

Awesome, all that totally makes sense. I have a First Cohort list put together with 40 skeletons and 10 Grave Guard so I'm trying to figure out whether I should try fitting more GG in or save room for at least the Spellportals. First Cohort gets expensive considering just Nagash and the battalion tax is pretty well half a 2000 point army itself.

5 hours ago, smucreo said:

Well, for now I'd count it as highly unlikely for a long while. Considering all Death got in these last few months I'd say they will probably start focusing on Destruction next, and also since Soulblight appear on the LoN battletome as an allegiance I wouldn't hold my breath for now.

I didn't mean that we'd might see a soulblight battletome, I meant that the nighthaunt battletome might not produce a faction meaningfully more viable than soulblight is under Legions of Nagash currently.  That's probably being needlessly pessimistic on my part, granted.

11 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Just as a heads up Lady Olynder doesn't have the Deathlords keyword (or at least the warscroll on the community site doesn't), which means she won't be able to pick an extra spell from the Lore of Death.

I don't think that is accurate?

She can't pick an extra spell from the Lore of Death because she's an ally and doesn't get the allegiance ability.

The only keyword that is necessary to qualify for the extra spell is Wizard, which she does have.  The extra rules about Deathmages, Vampires and Deathlords are additional sub-rules specific to those types, not a pre-requisite for the ability itself.  I think?

22 minutes ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

I don't think that is accurate?

She can't pick an extra spell from the Lore of Death because she's an ally and doesn't get the allegiance ability.

The only keyword that is necessary to qualify for the extra spell is Wizard, which she does have.  The extra rules about Deathmages, Vampires and Deathlords are additional sub-rules specific to those types, not a pre-requisite for the ability itself.  I think?

You're correct on that one.  Allies can't benefit from allegiance abilities and the extra spell forms part of the actual allegiance abilities.  Could well explain why she doesn't have the Deathlords keyword - because under no circumstance could she ever use it!

On the keyword bit it is just <Legion> Wizard - but it's largely mute due to the above :D