AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, MrRoff said:

Overwhelming Dread would be cast twice and they'll get -2 to hit rolls and -2 to bravery?

Yes, if you choose to select that unit twice...

1 hour ago, MrRoff said:

Will they have to roll dice equal to dubble the charge roll when they charge 

No, because the spell states „if the unit is selected at least once“ (exact wording lost in translation)...

same goes for #3/4 lore of death #5 Lord of vampires

for #2 from the lore of vampires, you would throw 2x3 dice, not 1x6...just to be sure  ;-D

carefully read the whole spell description and all should be made clear.

1 hour ago, MrRoff said:

any rule if you have less points than your opponent

?!? I‘m sorry, but do you have/read the rules ?!?

There it states pretty clearly, for every 50 points under the limit you’ll get one extra command point.

Example: 2000 point game, your army is 1910-1950 points you’ll get 1 CP before you start. If you only field 1850 (3x50 points less) you‘ll start with 3 CP, then get your 4th in your first hero phase. Actually a pretty common thing for Flesh Eater Court to start a bit lower, 1950 or even less to start summoning stuff in.

I don’t think it is happening in AoS 2.0 anymore, but there was the „Triumph“ roll, if you field less points than your opponent. 

Looked it up, Triumph seems to be still a thing, if you bring less points than your opponent and didn’t win your last battle (whatever bs that’s suppose to mean) you roll on the table in the core rules... didn’t buy that thing, but from the ghb‘17 1/2: reroll missed to hit; 3/4: reroll missed to wound; 5/6: reroll failed saves. Remember, first reroll, than modifiers (-1 to hit/wound, but also rend)

With the open war cards, if you decide to play like that, You’ll get a „Ruse“ Card, which might be pretty OP (get a destroyed unit back)...

Edited by Honk

I finally got enough to make an 2000p list in LoN and we're having a mini tournament me and my friends in a couple of weeks.
Please give feedback! Could need some help with artifacts.
I've chosen to go with an spell heavy army this time.

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Realm: AQSHY

Leaders:

• Arkhan The Black:  Soul Harvest. - General

• Necromancer: Overwhelming Dread, Shroud of Darkness artifact.

• Necromancer: Fading vigour, Ignax's Scales artifact.

• Vampire Lord: Amaranthine Orb

Behemoth's:

• Mortis Engine

Battleline:

• 20x Chainrasps
  • 10x Skeleton warriors - Ancient Blade
  • 10x Skeleton warriors - Ancient Blade

Other:

• 30x Grimghast reapers
  • 10x Hexwraiths

Battalion:

• Lords of Sacrament

Total points: 1990/2000p
    Ally points: 0/400p
    Artifacts: 2
    Command points: 2 at start of my turn.

Whit this army setup i'll have a big wall of summonable units while i'll just stand on the other side with all my wizards and try to debuff the enemy with fading vigour and overwhelming dread and ofc use Arkhans command ability.
    With the battalion i will have 9 spells to cast each turn aslong as i'm in range of my mortis engine, +2 to cast with the Necromancers and Vampire lord, and Arkhan will have +4 to cast.

CC is much welcomed!
Edited by MrRoff

• 2 weeks later...

sacr

53 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Could some one tell me why  every wizard can bring two spell  in this list(a list from LVO)

aos_lon.PNG

Sacrament Legion ability allows an additional spell from lores of dead.

Im more interested in knowing the purpose of the lord executioner. Doesnt seem very optimal

7 hours ago, soots said:

Sacrament Legion ability allows an additional spell from lores of dead.

All the legions allow you to pick ONE spell from the applicable lore (bottom left side under Magic), LoS gets +1 to cast,  the battalion allows the CASTING of an additional spell (not the knowing).

list looks like a little faulty to me...

3 hours ago, Honk said:

All the legions allow you to pick ONE spell from the applicable lore (bottom left side under Magic), LoS gets +1 to cast,  the battalion allows the CASTING of an additional spell (not the knowing).

list looks like a little faulty to me...

Yeah this has been known for a while I thought...how did no one notice this at LVO?

Edited by Malakithe

1 minute ago, Honk said:

Maybe they are not as WAAC as we all (I) think...

„nah, don‘t worry, I can never choose one either“

Regardless a major rule oversight like that should have been caught by someone. Its been a known interpretation of the Legions allegiance abilities for quite some time 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

wait a min...since when do they get to pick 2 spells? 

On the main page of each Legion the fourth item down is “Magic” and that is where the rule is from. 

He probably got confused with VDM and others in the mix.  I’m not surprised people missed it in game play.  Those details are hard to keep track of.  I’m also not surprised that the list author got confused, the technical writing is correct but it would have been better sourced with an, “one additional spell to Spells on the warscroll.”  In past editions of GWs fantasy we were always picking a spell.  So seeing “additional” is going to mean something different to us old farts.

Edited by Evil Bob
Spelling

Trying out some shenanigans for a tournament soon:

Lords of sacrament:

Arkhan (soul harvest)

necro 1(general, lord of nagashizzar, overwhelming dread)

necro 2(ossific diadem, fading vigour)

mortis engine

VLoZD(ethereal amulet, vile transference)

2X5 dire wolves

1X40 skeletons(spears)

1X12 glaivewraith stalkers

1 purchased command point

Any suggestions or criticisms?

6 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Snip

Share the results, especially if there is a win.  Details please.  

Also the choice word “shenanigans” is entirely appropriate.  In a 40k League game for giggles someone threw an Eldar list of Named Characters at me plus one transport at me.

7 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

Share the results, especially if there is a win.  Details please.  

Also the choice word “shenanigans” is entirely appropriate.  In a 40k League game for giggles someone threw an Eldar list of Named Characters at me plus one transport at me.

I'm just praying not to be paired against the tzeench player that's going, It'd be a shame for all my magic to backfire 😅

8 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Lords of sacrament:

Arkhan (soul harvest)

necro 1(general, lord of nagashizzar, overwhelming dread)

necro 2(ossific diadem, fading vigour)

mortis engine

VLoZD(ethereal amulet, vile transference)

2X5 dire wolves

1X40 skeletons(spears)

1X12 glaivewraith stalkers

1 purchased command point

Im confused. I thought you couldnt take other Legions battalions within other Legions without their leaders as general? Your using Sacrament within GHoN. With Arkhan present that auto forces Nagash as general.

Also a necro as general is a bad idea considering how squishy they are

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

With Arkhan present that auto forces Nagash as general.

Nope... Big N is no auto include in grand host, that’s only the legions.

10 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

He probably got confused with VDM and others in the mix.

Yes, yes, flying to LVO, with an army that I kinda got a grip on the rules... 

but really interesting that nobody spotted that, since it is pretty obvious to any LoN player

37 minutes ago, Honk said:

Nope... Big N is no auto include in grand host, that’s only the legions.

Yes, yes, flying to LVO, with an army that I kinda got a grip on the rules... 

but really interesting that nobody spotted that, since it is pretty obvious to any LoN player

I thought he had to be if the leaders of the other Legions were present. But still you cant include the Legion specific battalions in other Legions without that legions leader present and general.  If you take the Lords of Sacrament into the LoB then Neffy would have to be included and be general. Maybe that rule doesnt apply to Nagash...I cant remember all the little intricacies lol  

• Confused 1

It seems to me not a lot of people actually read the battletome rules and just assumed how things work. It reads:

Legions of Nagash

When you are choosing your army, you may decide it is taken from one of the Legions of Nagash. If you do, choose one of the following faction keywords. All units and warscroll battalions in your army selected from this battletome gain that keyword.
                •    Grand Host of Nagash
                •    Legion of Sacrament
                •    Legion of Blood 
                •    Legion of Night

This means that battalions like Deathmarch and Lords of Sacrement can be played in any of those 4 allegiances as long as you meet their restrictions.

Next up, the allegiance restrictions. Each Host or Legion has a restriction right at the top:

"A GRAND HOST OF NAGASH army may include any of the units in this battletome. If Nagash is included, he must be the army’s general."

"A LEGION OF SACREMENT army may include any of the units in this battletome, apart from Nagash. If it includes any MORTARCHS, then it must include Arkhan the Black and he must be the army's general." This is the same for the other 2 Legions, Blood with Neferata and Night with Mannfred.

So no Nagash outside of his own Grand Host and no command traits if you take a Mortarch in a Legion, since they have to be the General. Grand Host with Arkhan without Nagash will allow you to pick a general, just as any Legion without Mortarchs will.

Are you still with me? Good! Next up is spells. 

The allegiance abilities read: "All WIZARDS in a GRAND HOST OF NAGASH/LEGION OF SACREMENT/BLOOD/NIGHT army know an additional spell from one of the Lores of the Dead". The Lores of the Dead state: "WIZARDS that know an additional spell (or spells) from one of the Lores of the Dead, as described in their army's allegiance abilities, generate their spells from the following tables".

So no double dipping! Each wizard in a Grand Host or one of the Legions army's gets 1, except Nagash who gets 3. 

Edited by Sedraxis
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Wasnt there a FAQ stating that Deathmarch couldnt be included in an Legion?

There was/is discussion on how to read the battalion alliance... same goes for the Castellans.

After thinking what a bunch of stupid, the „official“ battalion  requirement seems to be „Death alliance“ so a GA:Death army is needed... bummer, tears, swearing etc.

I kinda thought about it and let it settle and now I think, since all your models have the DEATH keyword, your army has the „Death Alliance“ whatever you play. AND whatever „legion alliance“ you decide to choose specifically comes on top (or Soulblight alliance). 

That means, after the faq that said, please ignore Legion alliance requirements for the battalions (fe lords of sacrament in a legion of night army)...

=>

all LoN book battalions can be included into any LoN book army, as long as the model requirements are met. 

@Malakithe @Honk I need you guys to weigh in then, should I drop the glaivewraiths for a wight king to be a tankier general? I'm hesitant to make the VLoZD my general because I want him to have some freedom of movement and not have to worry about him being near anything, the necros are already going to be hanging around my skellies so i figured might as well slap nagashizzar on one.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

should I drop the glaivewraiths for a wight king to be a tankier general? 

The way I remember your list, it added up to 1870 (arkhan, 2necros, VloZd, mortis, 2x5 wolves, 40 skellis, 12 glaivewraith and the battalion).

disclaimer: no experience with the stalkers, but they look brutal...

with the battalion you start with 2CP, so you don‘t really need to buy one.

Wightking should fit pretty snug into the skellis... not sure what else you would be looking for.

other option might be a soul harvest bomb through a portal... you‘d start with 3 CP and boost the soul harvest with Arkhans CA, while the wightking turbocharges the skellis. Or more puppies 

the hardest part is using the list, can‘t help you there, I‘m bad at that 😂👍

11 minutes ago, Honk said:

The way I remember your list, it added up to 1870 (arkhan, 2necros, VloZd, mortis, 2x5 wolves, 40 skellis, 12 glaivewraith and the battalion).

disclaimer: no experience with the stalkers, but they look brutal...

with the battalion you start with 2CP, so you don‘t really need to buy one.

Wightking should fit pretty snug into the skellis... not sure what else you would be looking for.

other option might be a soul harvest bomb through a portal... you‘d start with 3 CP and boost the soul harvest with Arkhans CA, while the wightking turbocharges the skellis. Or more puppies 

the hardest part is using the list, can‘t help you there, I‘m bad at that 😂👍

I never bothered buying the endless spells box because I'd only ever use maybe 3 of them. I've fooled around with similar lists before, usually ends up with the dire wolves holding side objectives, skellies swamping middle objectives. My opponent unable to decide which hero to focus there range on and me taking ten years to do my hero phases because of all my spells. Also forgot to include the corpse cart for the extra +1 to casting, but if a wight king would be a better pick then I might go with that.

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes

1 hour ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

forgot to include the corpse cart

That on the other hand is a tricky decision...

you could scratch the wightking and buy the CP and the cart, which could also double as charge barrier (Wild West style) for your necros. Also buffs your regeneration of the skellis aaaand almost feels like legion of sacrament again.

Very tricky question, cart fits like a glove and gives you so many juicy buffs...

wightking whippes the skellis into a fury, but maybe is focused down better than a necro.

I guess the cart wins it

10 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

@Malakithe @Honk I need you guys to weigh in then, should I drop the glaivewraiths for a wight king to be a tankier general? I'm hesitant to make the VLoZD my general because I want him to have some freedom of movement and not have to worry about him being near anything, the necros are already going to be hanging around my skellies so i figured might as well slap nagashizzar on one.

IMO Glaivewraiths arent very good. They dont really fit any roles as they are eclipsed by other stuff easily like more Skellies and Grims. Grims are frankly OP af in a GHoN list with all other buffs to summonable stuff. 

The Wight King can be good as a behind the lines general if your running heavy Deathrattle and only if he has Lord of Nagashizzar. He suffers from being slow but so does the rest of Deathrattle stuff. 

You dont really need the VLoZD to be general as he is a great beatstick that can just fly around on his own. With the Ethereal ammy he is going to be hard to shift and a huge distraction anyway.