AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

If you are looking for the actual reference

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/ Core Rules Designer's Commentary Page 9

Q: Some abilities and spells, etc, allow me to return slain models to one of my units. Could you explain how these models are set up?

A: Set up the models one at a time within 1" of a model from the unit they are returning to – this can be a model you returned to the unit earlier in the same phase. The slain models you return to a unit can only be set up within 3" of an enemy unit if one or more models from the unit they are returning to are already within 3" of that enemy unit.

Took Nagash in a grand host list the other day, managed to hand of dust Alarielle, killed Durthu and some spite reveanents and put most of the hurt on a tree lord ancient with arcane bolt spam before a morghast finished him off in combat. Lost the game by one point (shifting objectives that didn't shift in my favour!) but was very happy with how Nagash performed.

This was my list: 

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Overwhelming Dread
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Fading Vigour
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Vile Transference
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
- Ancient Blades

Units
2 x Morghast Archai (190)
- Spirit Halberds
2 x Morghast Harbingers (190)
- Spirit Halberds

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 109

Edited by El Syf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also won a game yesterday!

GHoN vs Seraphon (Stegadon spam list + Kroak)

Won the objective game T4 because he just couldn't deal with 40x Chainrasps that kept coming back.
Nagash survived with 3 HP due to some unlucky dice rolling from my opponent. Almost killed him T1.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Wight King on Skeletal Steed is not listed in the official base sizes pdf. Anyone know what he's supposed to be on? 

I just plonked mine on a Black Knight base. Never had any issues and he's been to many tournies, including Grand Tournies at Warhammer World. 

• Thanks 1

I finally invested in LoN. I'm starting with 1k for a doubles event but I've been playing with lists for a potential expansion:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Necromancer (130)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- Mount: Steed
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- General
- Mount: Steed
- Command Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades

Units
10 x Black Knights (240)

Battalions
Deathmarch (150)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 139

How does it look? The 10 and 20 man skellies can be buried, used to screen, or block deepstrike. The heroes can be set up to support GG, 40 skellies, or the knights in different combinations depending on match ups/ battleplans. I want to keep it as bone zone as possible. Is there a standard bone zone list?  Any advice for optimization?

13 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

How does it look?

Pretty good... for friendly games, at WAAC-cut-throat-level your going down. IIRC somebody named ?! ianob ?! played very successfully with them back in the days early AoS 2.0...

positioning and target priority is key

Since the Deathmarch is a bit CP heavy, you could think about reducing the 20 skellis down to 10, for an extra CP and a chance for a triumph. And maybe switch the spell from the lord to pinions.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Honk said:

Pretty good... for friendly games, at WAAC-cut-throat-level your going down. IIRC somebody named ?! ianob ?! played very successfully with them back in the days early AoS 2.0...

positioning and target priority is key

Since the Deathmarch is a bit CP heavy, you could think about reducing the 20 skellis down to 10, for an extra CP and a chance for a triumph. And maybe switch the spell from the lord to pinions.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I figured it wouldn't be on top tables or anything. My other armies (skaven, bcr, ij) all take pretty hard tourny lists so I thought I'd do a fluffy one for more "beer & pretzels" type matches. New to death, so still learning how all the synergies work.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:37 AM, El Syf said:

Took Nagash in a grand host list the other day, managed to hand of dust Alarielle, killed Durthu and some spite reveanents and put most of the hurt on a tree lord ancient with arcane bolt spam before a morghast finished him off in combat. Lost the game by one point (shifting objectives that didn't shift in my favour!) but was very happy with how Nagash performed.

This was my list: 

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Overwhelming Dread
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Fading Vigour
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Vile Transference
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Cairn Wraith (60)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
- Ancient Blades

Units
2 x Morghast Archai (190)
- Spirit Halberds
2 x Morghast Harbingers (190)
- Spirit Halberds

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 109

I have some questions.

1) Why the Cairn Wraith?

2) Why units of 20 instead of units of 40?

3) Why one unit of each kind of Morghast?

I suppose is to try things, but I´m waiting for your answers soon!

52 minutes ago, El Antiguo Guardián said:

I have some questions.

1) Why the Cairn Wraith?

The Cairn Wraith was mostly taken out of pity; I like the model and you never see one in nighthaunt or LoN also felt it fitted better with the chainrasps.

I knew I wanted Nagash and some Morghasts, so tried to keep unit sizes down to get them in. Units of 20 worked well for Endless Legions too, as I could enure I could fit them all back on the board when they were wiped.

The Morghasts of both types has a lot to do with I just like Morghasts, but on a serious note there was some thought behind it. The Harbingers would run across the board and get stuck in, while the Arcai were primarily to make my opponent think twice about charging Nagash later in the game when he started charging stuff.

Again I don't play tournaments and it was just a fun list I wanted to try out.

Edited by El Syf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Verminlord said:

New to death, so still learning how all the synergies work

The idea of the list was iirc superbuff the knights and alpha stuff off the table, resummon and repeat. Very technical even back in the days.

I‘m too stupid for such lists, I‘ll field .60cal zombies with Necro, vamp and corpsecart and roll around the table. 🤪

Not that any mildly competitive list has trouble with that, but till now everybody had at least one disaster against them 😇

• Like 1

Facehammer guys discussed a Legion of Night build leaning in to two big blocks of 40 skellies, backed up by a necro and Wight king 

Mannfred and some Vargheists used to round out his battalion and offer some flanking threats.

Seems like a solid list, though I have no interest in painting 90 skeletons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Best thing about Legions?

The variety and options!!! and the fluff... 

funny how a „dead/fluff only“ legion suddenly becomes relevant again when the meta changes. Put them skellis into terrain and suddenly they are pretty sturdy (against non-rend).

painting is not that big of a deal, airbrush or/and contrast paints got you covered. With „bone“ colored primer you‘re almost there. Clothes and metal in black, wood in dark brown, also as highlights for the clothes, then soft silver drybrush on the metal. Generous helping of a brown wash... tabletop ready 

woodglue generously on the bases, through a pot with aquarium sand... Khemri is back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honk said:

funny how a „dead/fluff only“ legion suddenly becomes relevant again when the meta changes.

Aye, it's good to see some GHoN discussion again. Shame where I live's just been put on lockdown again - won't be gaming anymore anytime soon... again. 

This year's just been a right off for gaming. Man, I miss tournies. 

• Sad 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, El Antiguo Guardián said:

I have some questions.

1) Why the Cairn Wraith?

Let me recommend the cairn wraith to everyone. My opponents got used to be very annoyed by them and I use them quite a lot since:

- they are only 60 points

- they provide the 6+ aura

- they can support your troops with some MW output

-they can suicide charge to block an enemy unit from charging or they can suicide charge lone characters and wizards

-they can use command abilities on your troops should you need it (charge re-roll and unbreakable)

-they can actually survive, especially if you position them properly where they cannot be hit, but they can hit with their 2" weapon

I rather have two of them instead of having a necro who either can't get the spells off since I don't roll high enough or they just simply get unbound. 130 points wasted most of the time. If I want magic, I take arkhan or nagash, that's it.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, Liquidsteel said:

Facehammer guys discussed a Legion of Night build leaning in to two big blocks of 40 skellies, backed up by a necro and Wight king 

Mannfred and some Vargheists used to round out his battalion and offer some flanking threats.

Thank you! I love the list, especially after their explanation. I have 160 clanrats painted (and 120 more needing paint) 80 skellies is no sweat. I have issues 🤣🐀

I might try to run this until LoN/deathrattle/vamps get updated. Only gripe is no black knights. They're my favorite by far. Here is the list if anyone is interested:

Screenshot_20200921-123936.jpg

So after the last Covid safe tournament (was spread over a few weeks, with one game a time) we did in my neck of the world.  It's become apparently that with the new missions from GHB20, hordes seem to have the advantage due to being able to cap and hold objectives.  I came 4th with a WWL but one of the win's was a bye, so would of gained 3rd, but feel going more hordy will help me out further.  (Fun to see no shooting heavy armies came in the top of the table!)

Next one (Provided the restrictions don't get tighter here in the UK in November) will be 1750pts (we have new players who don't have 2k points yet). So i'm thinking of going old school vampire counts and spamming the <cough> out of Skeletons with small heros to hide and buff everything.  I'm thinking of the follow:

GHoN

Necromancer - Fading Vigour - 130

Necromancer - Overwhelming Dread - Ossific Diadem - 130

Wight King with Black Axe - General - Master of Death - Balefire Lantern - 120

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade - 120 

x5 Black Knights - 120

x 10 Grave Guard - Great Wight Blades - 140

x40 Skeletons - Spears - 280

x40 Skeletons - Spears - 280

x40 Skeletons - Swords - 280

Battalion - Death March.

Using black axe as the general as i don't have a second mounted wight king, and feel he maybe able to hide much better, also not sold entirely on the balefire lantern as his artefact.

Depending on the mission is how i'll deloy, but looking to use the mounted king, knights and pull a 40 blob out of a gravesite to attack objectives, and use the rest of the heros and skeletons to take and hold mine and middle objectives.  Grave guard to, well, guard the heros!  Obviously placing gravesites in the best position, it will mean i'll be getting an awful lot of regen from the legion trait, heros, battalion and gravesites.  If they do wipe a unit, all can be summoned back.

Feels strange not having any big hitters in the list, but my plan isn't to out combat, more board control with stuff that keeps coming back.  C&C welcomed!

• Like 1

White dwarf battalions are legal again, including the dolorous guard, which were mentioned earlier in the thread as a fantastic bodyguard for your general and cheap enough to fit into the allies allotment of a 2k point list.  Could be a saving grace for VLoZD in a post-ethereal-amulet world.  Also nice for anyone who wants to run mortarchs in LoN.

27 minutes ago, Sception said:

White dwarf battalions are legal again, including the dolorous guard, which were mentioned earlier in the thread as a fantastic bodyguard for your general and cheap enough to fit into the allies allotment of a 2k point list.  Could be a saving grace for VLoZD in a post-ethereal-amulet world.  Also nice for anyone who wants to run mortarchs in LoN.

That's super cool actually. A question regarding allied-in battalions, do they still grant a CP and an extra artifact?

1 hour ago, Rabidweasel said:

Feels strange not having any big hitters in the list, but my plan isn't to out combat, more board control with stuff that keeps coming back.  C&C welcomed!

I've been thinking the same recently. For competitive play I'll ordinarily turn to my VLZD but recently I've been thinking to spam and then just go for small heroes. Be really interesting to hear how you get on with the next tourney.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rabidweasel said:

If nothing else, it will be fun!

Before lockdown my standard army ran 2 blobs of 40 skellies. The movement and the rolling of an ungodly amount of dice for attacking made it very painful on my back 😄

I'm working towards 4 mass blobs now (2x40 skellies, 40 rasps, 30 grimghast)... needless to say I've bought movement trays. I'm dreading the pain in my back. Think I'll rarely run this in casual games mind as it can't be fun for the opponent to watch me roll when it comes to the attack phase.   

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, lare2 said:

Think I'll rarely run this in casual games mind as it can't be fun for the opponent to watch me roll when it comes to the attack phase.   

Sounds like my 60 zombies mob with vampire CA and „Van hels“...

the pile in alone is gruesome to behold, counting and recounting the number of attacks pushes the enemy to the very limit 😈 and then we celebrate the second activation... with screams of distress and agony, madness spreads like wildfire while the resistance crumbles

• Haha 1