AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

4 hours ago, Chikrit said:

Wouldn’t those battallions be available only if you go with Nighthaunt allegiance?

No, it just means it comes out of your ally points. You don't normally see allied battalions because most battalions don't fit in the standard ally limits (whether too many points or too many units).

hey all. I'm currently looking to get a general breakdown of LoN.

I'm building a themed deathrattle army to "accompany" my bonereapers. (yes i am aware they cannot ally in.)

I'm looking for uses for a necromancer or two, as well as pretty much any other unit i can shoehorn or convert in.

Cheers, from the stygian fields of Hellost.

• Like 1

The thing is with Ghon that is currently a bit underperfoming due to the meta that emerged in the last 6 months or so. You have -1 rend on enemies everywhere which will just deny your shields across all your the army.

The other thing is that nighthaunt units are generally always almost better for the same role vs skeletal stuff due to the better move and ethereal save and in case of chainrasps, for the same points.

One of my favourite artifacts is ossific diadem which will go well with a full skeleton army in case you are not bringing vlozd with ethereal amulet. Rolling 6+/6+/6+ for a block of 30 grave guards is just so cool.

The other thing that occurred to me that bigger units of GG or BK can act as both your anvils and hammers if you play them right. They can pack a punch, but they are still not that expensive to have them block enemy stuff and keep coming back.

I'd also recommend GG brought with Morghasts near a general with ancient strategist for aggressive play. Buffed with a vampire each morghast will attack 5 with halberds with 3d6 charge re-rolled in case of fail.

Lastly, I am having success fielding some cairn wraiths, around 2 in 1k or 1500 points. They can go with your smaller units and can babysit objectives with 10-20 skellos and in case some pesky 5 man objective grabber enemy squad will come for said objective the cairn wraith can dish out some (mortal) wounds and survives for a long time with 4+/6++ while also granting skellos that deathless minions. They can also take over in case your general dies. 

So these are my experiences from the 'not-so-many-games-I-have-played-so-far' and I am kind of a beginner as well.

My meta is (campaign): Ironsunz,PE, and Gitz

ps.: Gravesite placement - it can make or break your games. Quite diffiult to learn and to do it right and can counterplayed if done wrong.

Edited by BoneHeart

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, reading here makes me a bit sad - I was hoping that GHoN was still quite competitive with Nagash in it..
C&C this list, please - I was hoping of running it when I've finished painting the last Dire Wolves.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
LEADERS
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
- General
Necromancer (130)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
UNITS
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
4 x Morghast Archai (420)
- Spirit Halberds
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 110

On 2/23/2020 at 12:57 AM, Snoogens said:

Aww, reading here makes me a bit sad - I was hoping that GHoN was still quite competitive with Nagash in it..
C&C this list, please - I was hoping of running it when I've finished painting the last Dire Wolves.

LEADERS
- General
Necromancer (130)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
UNITS
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
4 x Morghast Archai (420)
- Spirit Halberds
TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 110

Legions of nagash are not top tier but they are definitely playable on competetive tournaments. I think nagash isnt that great in legions after the changes but you can get decent results without him. In a recent tournament I participated in there were at least 3 legions armies out of 54 players and at least one was grandhost army. He used neferata, necro and dragon with graveguard, skeletons, wolfs and grimghasts and did very well. Dont know result of final game so either 3/2 or 4/1 but it might have to do more with the playerthen the army because he is quite good.

Edited by ZLee Syn

On 2/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, ACBelMutie said:

Just a quick question. Can I resurrect a dead unit of Dreadscythe Harridans witch are allied in a Gran Host of Nagash army? 

Greetings 

And you cannot to use 6+ negation or heal from gravesites either. But you can use heal from invocations.

22 hours ago, El Syf said:

Has it been confirmed that the new warscrolls for Nagash, Arkhan and the morghasts supersede the old one? 

Can't find any mention of it on the official sources.

They have the same name as the old one so yes.

Edited by ZLee Syn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, El Syf said:

Thanks, just with the Nighthaunt stuff they were quite explicit about them replacing the old warscrolls and they haven't been this time round.

Before there were like 2 black coaches or 2 terrorgheists. They they changed the name so now there are no 2 units that have same name and diferent warscrolls so they dont need to specify.

Also oficial app has only one warscroll so that is a clue

3 hours ago, Ghiggio said:

Hey guys, what do you think that is the best way to run a list with Nagash for competitive tournaments ?

Start by adding a block of 30 Grimghast Reapers, then go from there.  It's not my cup of tea, but I'm not too fussed about being considered competitive.

Or switch to OBR.

Don't forget an Umbral Spellportal! Even if you aren't too good at snatching souls with Hand of Dust, the sheer threat range usually has a psychological impact on most opponents, making them question their moves and where to position their heroes (especially the expensive ones!) I also recommend a block of either 40 Chainrasps or 40 Skeletons as a cheap way to add extra bodies (which a Nagash list really wants.) 

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

Don't forget an Umbral Spellportal! Even if you aren't too good at snatching souls with Hand of Dust, the sheer threat range usually has a psychological impact on most opponents, making them question their moves and where to position their heroes (especially the expensive ones!) I also recommend a block of either 40 Chainrasps or 40 Skeletons as a cheap way to add extra bodies (which a Nagash list really wants.) 

Interestingly I've just dropped the USP from my list in favour of upping my Grave Guard from 10 to 20.  Not convinced by this move, but I want to try it for a bit.

• 1 month later...
LEADERS
- General
Necromancer (130)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
UNITS
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
TOTAL: 1990/2000

So I've definitely decided on the above list. Reapers just have so much more synergy compared to Morghasts.
There are two things I will swap around though to get a feeling of what's best for me.

First one being Skeleton Warriors vs Chainrasp Horde.
Skeleton Warriors can provide quite a punch with their Spears. However Chainrasps are more mobile and have a better unrendable save.

Second one being Vampire Lord vs another Necromancer.
The Vampire Lord +1 atk CA costs a whopping 1 CP. This is fairly expensive for an army that neither generates CP outside of normal means, and doesn't have any extra. I might want to save this CP for either a ressurection, or a battleshock test.
Being able to still cast the "fight again" spell from a Necro even if I lose one might be quite big, especially if it results in me ressurecting the Reapers for 1 CP and getting a "fight again" cast off on them.

Thoughts?

Edited by Snoogens

1 hour ago, Snoogens said:

Thoughts

This list (and variations of it) was classic back in the day when Legions dropped. It's still pretty powerful now.

Regarding your points, as much as I love skellies I'd probably go rasps nowadays. Skellies no longer cut the mustard whereas a big block of rasps are very tasty still. 

Back in the day, I'd've said vamp lord, every time. Naggy could use all spells known by Death wizards on the table and the vamp lord opened up some tasty treats. These days, I can definitely see the logic in another necro. I'd still probably go for a vamp lord though to access Lore of the Vamps.

Your CP should be going on Naggy's ability every turn. It's one of the best in the game. You'll not need to worry about leadership tests either. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1

My variation of a theme (I don't own any dogs):

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Amethystine Pinions
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Vile Transference
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Soul Harvest
Necromancer (130)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

Naggy moves forward in support of the reapers, using the portal and touchy feely to pop important heroes until mid to late game, healing as he goes, and then goes in on something (on a objective, hopefully) with pinions. 

Use Naggy's command ability each turn, hoping to get it back with the necro who's sitting on the vortex surrounded by 10 rasps, on an objective in my DZ. The other 2x10 rasps are just doing their best to capture objectives and not die. 

Vamp lord stays close to Naggy to use command ability on the reapers if the brooch works. The reapers themselves protect Naggy and the lord and basically just kill things as all move forward.