AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

Update on the tournament I went to:

Pulled 2 wins and 1 loss, all really close games.

First match was against another grandhost player, we couldn't push each other off of the objectives so it came down to kill points, I came out on top due to killing his morghasts, terrorgheist and VLoZD.

Second match was against DoK, lost by 1 victory point in a down to the wire match where my opponent pulled a win by pushing through my grimghasts and dire wolves with a massive stack of snake ladies. Morathi tore through my skeletons for 2 turns but fell in turn 3 to arkhan and the mortis engine.

Last match was against SCE, Pulled a 2 point win by maintaining objective control using my better numbers. The match came close near the end however due to a ballista/castigator battalion tearing up my fodder. 

All in all, the battalion worked great even if I didn't do too many wounds with spells, the debuffs got there money's worth however. The corpse cart did wonders for nearby dire wolves and kept my wizards going. Every match my VLoZD lived way longer than he should have and managed to tie up and weaken a lot of big units in each game. My biggest issue was probably having too many heroes on one board side, leaving nothing but my VloZD to anchor my galives and wolves on my other flank, bit of a drawback inherent in my battalion choice but still a fun time.

• Thanks 2

I have been using death army but i don't get much winning games.... Out of my 10+ game i play. I only win by 2.

The latest game against gloomspite. My general got pinned down after 2 turn.

My friend advice me that i have problem in my way of thought towards skeleton/chainwasp units.

I thought they can be hammer but they seems not being able to deal significant damage output.

Edited by InDeathWeTrust
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, InDeathWeTrust said:

I have been using death army but i don't get much winning games....

When I started with AoS, I struggled too...

getting all the different details right, when how where to attack with who. Against our local top player with ironjawz, very nice, friendly and active, but also brutal... now he’s playing nurgle, still mean, but I adapted and advanced and now we’re both pretty much even 

how does your lists look like? What are you playing against? 

To get a rough outlook on the damage potential of a unit, a bit statistic helps (to cause 10 wounds against a 4+ save, you’ll need to bring 80 attacks)...

our units need to support each other, so lone wolf strategies (putting a unit somewhere without support) tends to fail pretty hard. 

9 hours ago, InDeathWeTrust said:

List like below.

Make your wightking general with lord of nagashizzar and give him the ossidified diadem... put him into the skellis with the necromancer. That unit should be able to do some work...although a second necromancer within the chainrasps also sounds good and brings more magical mayhem.

the vampire with the dogs securing the flanks and being annoying... might even up the chainrasps to 30 (with necro and one unit of dogs less) combine the other dogs to 10 and

I’m not quite sure what is hindering you brutal club domination?!

So now that the FEC battletome is out, could the Archregent be a decent allied choice for Legions lists in general. 200 point 2 cast/unbind wizard is something we don't have access to otherwise, and he can do a once per game summon of another character (probably not very useful outside certain missions), 3 horrors or flayers, or 20 ghouls. And we can never have enough bodies in Legions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

So now that the FEC battletome is out, could the Archregent be a decent allied choice for Legions lists in general. 200 point 2 cast/unbind wizard is something we don't have access to otherwise, and he can do a once per game summon of another character (probably not very useful outside certain missions), 3 horrors or flayers, or 20 ghouls. And we can never have enough bodies in Legions.

I was thinking just that. In fact, I got a carrion empire box because I think it is really good and I can see myself adding it a ton. He is super cheap for what he brings.

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

7 wounds. heals 3. casts twice. death wizard. 7a nearly same output as vampire lord. 200 pts. can summon 140pts worth of ghouls or 130pts of horrors (imo their intended value, not point value) which they can then buff the hell out of.  Hes great value.

More importantly, When they released soul wars, they included 3 night haunt characters and 3 nighthaunt units. ALL OF THEM made it into the lon list.

Carrion empire has Archregent, horrors, flayers, ghouls. I wouldnt be surprised if they are included in the LoN list.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soots said:

7 wounds. heals 3. casts twice. death wizard. 7a nearly same output as vampire lord. 200 pts. can summon 140pts worth of ghouls or 130pts of horrors (imo their intended value, not point value) which they can then buff the hell out of.  Hes great value.

More importantly, When they released soul wars, they included 3 night haunt characters and 3 nighthaunt units. ALL OF THEM made it into the lon list.

Carrion empire has Archregent, horrors, flayers, ghouls. I wouldnt be surprised if they are included in the LoN list.

There is a difference there though. Prior to the separate NH release, all NH units were already part of Legions. FEC on the other hand have always been fully separate. Combine that with all the hate Legions gets nowadays, I seriously doubt they are going to give them any more toys to play with.

Also, I know the Executioner is really bad, but not even including him in your unit count. That's just mean :P .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

Does anyone know where to get the warscroll/spell cards and grave markers for GLON without the battletome? Thanks

Intensive Google Research...

all the warscrolls are available from the GW site, just adjust and PowerPoint print out...

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/raloon/sets/28562?page=1

spellcards...

gravemarker is just a figurative Point on the battlefield, design a 1“ base of wanted, Print out a 1“ skull or lay down a coin 

• Like 1

Went to a local tourney this weekend - was awesome. Won two out of 3 games. Lost against Nurgley rats. Those gnawholes really knackered me! Not to mention 120 plague monks - ha ha! Man, those things pack a punch. They made Nagash flee in terror!  

2 hours ago, Honk said:

Intensive Google Research...

all the warscrolls are available from the GW site, just adjust and PowerPoint print out...

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/raloon/sets/28562?page=1

spellcards...

gravemarker is just a figurative Point on the battlefield, design a 1“ base of wanted, Print out a 1“ skull or lay down a coin 

Thanks mate :)

• Thanks 1

Painted up a Nagash army in the last week and a bit and ended up winning a 20-Player one dayer this weekend running Grand Host of Nagash and the following list;

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Pinions (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass (140)

Battleline
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Game 1 was Scorched Earth against a Gloomspite army with a Troggherd (Troggboss, Mollorg, Dankhold Troggoth, 2 x 3 Rockgut Troggoths) and then a Loonboss on Mangler, 40 Shootas and a couple of fungoid shamans. Hand of dusted the Mangler off after it ran up the board hoping to turn one charge. Magic’ed off a couple of the Rockgut’s and then made my charge with both 20 and 30 Grimghasts and Nagash. Proceeded to chop through the majority of the army, the two Dankhold Trolls wiped the 20 Grimghast but then Nagash between magic, shooting and combat managed to take both out in one turn. Major victory and only lost the 20 Grimghast.

Game 2 was Starstrike against a Clans Pestilence Army (120 Plague Monks – 3 x 40 units, Furnace, Verminlord Corruptor, Grey Seer on Bell, 2 x 5 Censar bearers). First turn was a bit sketchy with opponent taking the first turn and moving cautiously forward. I sacrificed the 20 Grimghast turn one with the Vanhel’s, temporal location spell moving them 6” and then with their move and charge went into 40 Plague Monks and the screaming bell. I took off 20 monks in the first combat and then for some reason he activated the bell to attack next despite me pointing out they can pile in and attack again. The Grimghast then killed another 12 monks leaving 8 left in the unit. Next turn the Grimghast finished them off only to be hit by the next wave of 40 that killed them straight out. On the other flank the remaining 40 monks buffed up with +1 attack and rerolling all hits and wounds went into the 30 Grimghast. In total 70 damage dealt and then with my Re-Roll save triumph, death save and having the unit wrapped around mystical terrain only 6 Grimghast died! The look on my opponents face…..priceless. The 30 Reapers then obliterated the Monks, Nagash hand of dusted both the Bell and Furnace off and brought back the 20 Grimghasts. Held all three objectives for the win.

Game 3 was 3 Places of Arcane Power against a mixed Skaventide army – (Verminlord Warpseer, 2 Grey Seers, Arch Warlock, Warlock Engineer, 3 x 20 Clan Rats, 2 x 10 Giant Rats, 2 x Warp Lightening Cannons and a Hellpit). Wasn’t looking forward to this as I knew with only Nagash and two squishy heroes I was already on the backfoot. I gave him first turn and he skitterleaped the Arch Warlock onto the corner objective where his gnawhole was and cast Geminids onto the 30 Grimghast to make them -1 Hit/-1 Attack, he then brought through a Hellpit and made the 9” charge into the 30 Grimghast. Thankfully made majority of my saves and only five died. My turn I moved the Grimghast out of combat using the spell and towards the Arch Warlock and Nagash came to the side and took the Hellpit off in the first turn of combat. 30 Grimghast took out the Warlock and Nagash spent the whole game sitting on that corner objective surrounded by 30 Grimghast. He was in range of the middle objective to spell any little heroes that tried grabbing it and then threw 10 dogs onto the centre to stop any heroes skitterleaping. The opposite corner my Necromancer held the objective backed up by the Guardian of Souls and 20 Grimghast. He failed his 9” charge with the Warpseer and then spent the whole game fighting 20 Grimghast that just kept regenerating. His Warp Lightening cannons couldn’t target the Necromancer who was hid behind a tree. Ended up winning 20-2 on objectives.

Wasn’t expecting to take out the event, my dice were on point for the majority of the day and Nagash can truly just shut down hero phases if he’s in range to dispel. Grimghasts are crazy good and the Guardian of Souls didn’t really get to use his charge shortening abilities much but that 6” move in the hero phase (including out of combat) is amazing to really increase the threat of the Grimghasts.

627506360_2019-02-2311_50_13.jpg.06feb48c9a33f9da14f792857068b7e4.jpg

809476780_2019-02-2311_50_31.jpg.f363cfea8d45c85d51bc047ccc80285c.jpg

1847477227_2019-02-2311_50_23.jpg.b69c4cd8447ae67a42a80de355738953.jpg

1612049715_2019-02-2311_50_28.jpg.34fb7a3b3c58007d7a11eb354161322f.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Legions of nagash gets a lot of hate and I was just wondering if y’all think it deserves it. I saw they were doing well in some tournaments a few months back I think but part of me thinks players don’t understand that fighting legions is a boss battle (or at least at my local store this is the issue) so I guess my question is, even tho y’all have unit regen and 400 attacks on a skeleton unit, how often and realistic are those possibilities? And what are the best ways to kill a necromancer when ranged isn’t an option (I’ve had some trouble when I’m not able to break one skeleton unit out of the way) other then that legions SEEMS balanced to me in regular non comp play (although I think casting value 6 for danse macabre is a bit low, 7 makes sense. And I think the necromancer look out sir shouldn’t be as good in melee as it is. But should be better vs ranged. Unless I’m mistaken and it doesn’t work in melee? I also think skeletons should have more reliable but worse horde bonuses, chaff shouldn’t be be able to deal 400 attacks in my opinion! You should have to rely on a hammer unit or attrition warfare... a skeleton outdamaging an ogor is not okay 😂 so maybe plus 1 attack at 10 models. And make those shields work against rend so better show a slow attrition instead of a quick death to anyone within 3 inches) 

6 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Legions of nagash gets a lot of hate

Don't think Legions of Nagash get any hate, it's just Nagash himself that isn't well liked. The book is certainly strong, but no S-tier without Nagash. And a lot of people just feel fatigued playing against the same list over and over again (very little variation in Nagash tournament lists) and the battle just being about that one model.

Kill Nagash early enough, you win. Don't kill him, you most likely lose. Some people just think that there's more exciting battles to be had ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mutter said:

Don't think Legions of Nagash get any hate, it's just Nagash himself that isn't well liked. The book is certainly strong, but no S-tier without Nagash. And a lot of people just feel fatigued playing against the same list over and over again (very little variation in Nagash tournament lists) and the battle just being about that one model.

Kill Nagash early enough, you win. Don't kill him, you most likely lose. Some people just think that there's more exciting battles to be had ...

I see! So would you say that legions is balanced well compared to other armies at the 1000 point level (where taking nagash would probably see you auto lose most games as his durability without protection is quite flimsy for his point cost!)

20 hours ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Painted up a Nagash army in the last week and a bit and ended up winning a 20-Player one dayer this weekend running Grand Host of Nagash and the following list;

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Pinions (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass (140)

Battleline
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
30 x Grimghast Reapers (360)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

Game 1 was Scorched Earth against a Gloomspite army with a Troggherd (Troggboss, Mollorg, Dankhold Troggoth, 2 x 3 Rockgut Troggoths) and then a Loonboss on Mangler, 40 Shootas and a couple of fungoid shamans. Hand of dusted the Mangler off after it ran up the board hoping to turn one charge. Magic’ed off a couple of the Rockgut’s and then made my charge with both 20 and 30 Grimghasts and Nagash. Proceeded to chop through the majority of the army, the two Dankhold Trolls wiped the 20 Grimghast but then Nagash between magic, shooting and combat managed to take both out in one turn. Major victory and only lost the 20 Grimghast.

Game 2 was Starstrike against a Clans Pestilence Army (120 Plague Monks – 3 x 40 units, Furnace, Verminlord Corruptor, Grey Seer on Bell, 2 x 5 Censar bearers). First turn was a bit sketchy with opponent taking the first turn and moving cautiously forward. I sacrificed the 20 Grimghast turn one with the Vanhel’s, temporal location spell moving them 6” and then with their move and charge went into 40 Plague Monks and the screaming bell. I took off 20 monks in the first combat and then for some reason he activated the bell to attack next despite me pointing out they can pile in and attack again. The Grimghast then killed another 12 monks leaving 8 left in the unit. Next turn the Grimghast finished them off only to be hit by the next wave of 40 that killed them straight out. On the other flank the remaining 40 monks buffed up with +1 attack and rerolling all hits and wounds went into the 30 Grimghast. In total 70 damage dealt and then with my Re-Roll save triumph, death save and having the unit wrapped around mystical terrain only 6 Grimghast died! The look on my opponents face…..priceless. The 30 Reapers then obliterated the Monks, Nagash hand of dusted both the Bell and Furnace off and brought back the 20 Grimghasts. Held all three objectives for the win.

Game 3 was 3 Places of Arcane Power against a mixed Skaventide army – (Verminlord Warpseer, 2 Grey Seers, Arch Warlock, Warlock Engineer, 3 x 20 Clan Rats, 2 x 10 Giant Rats, 2 x Warp Lightening Cannons and a Hellpit). Wasn’t looking forward to this as I knew with only Nagash and two squishy heroes I was already on the backfoot. I gave him first turn and he skitterleaped the Arch Warlock onto the corner objective where his gnawhole was and cast Geminids onto the 30 Grimghast to make them -1 Hit/-1 Attack, he then brought through a Hellpit and made the 9” charge into the 30 Grimghast. Thankfully made majority of my saves and only five died. My turn I moved the Grimghast out of combat using the spell and towards the Arch Warlock and Nagash came to the side and took the Hellpit off in the first turn of combat. 30 Grimghast took out the Warlock and Nagash spent the whole game sitting on that corner objective surrounded by 30 Grimghast. He was in range of the middle objective to spell any little heroes that tried grabbing it and then threw 10 dogs onto the centre to stop any heroes skitterleaping. The opposite corner my Necromancer held the objective backed up by the Guardian of Souls and 20 Grimghast. He failed his 9” charge with the Warpseer and then spent the whole game fighting 20 Grimghast that just kept regenerating. His Warp Lightening cannons couldn’t target the Necromancer who was hid behind a tree. Ended up winning 20-2 on objectives.

Wasn’t expecting to take out the event, my dice were on point for the majority of the day and Nagash can truly just shut down hero phases if he’s in range to dispel. Grimghasts are crazy good and the Guardian of Souls didn’t really get to use his charge shortening abilities much but that 6” move in the hero phase (including out of combat) is amazing to really increase the threat of the Grimghasts.

627506360_2019-02-2311_50_13.jpg.06feb48c9a33f9da14f792857068b7e4.jpg

809476780_2019-02-2311_50_31.jpg.f363cfea8d45c85d51bc047ccc80285c.jpg

1847477227_2019-02-2311_50_23.jpg.b69c4cd8447ae67a42a80de355738953.jpg

1612049715_2019-02-2311_50_28.jpg.34fb7a3b3c58007d7a11eb354161322f.jpg

Something about like green just gets me right into “hobby awe” mode! Love the paint job

1 minute ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

at the 1000 point level

Most people claim 1000 points is not balanced period.

Anything that summons (or re-summons) gets vastly more powerful at that level. Anything that has big beasties is also a lot more powerful than in 2000 points.

• Confused 1