AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

25 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

From what I can understand Frightful Touch's ability is slightly different in that once you deal the mortal wound that attack has to end (the attack that rolled a 6). On top of that normally Relics that augment a bearer's melee weapon does not affect the mount's attacks assuming it is using one. I would probably clarify this with someone who has dealt with this before as I don't feel confident that I could give you the correct answer.

The scales are pretty good if you're wanting the bearer to stay alive longer. Let's say someone attacks the bearer with 20-something attacks. More than likely even with ignoring rend some attacks are bound to come through. Now you have the scales to give you a 50-50 shot of shrugging off the wounds you just failed to save. It can really help you in a bind!

As for the cloak, if a unit can only attack the bearer of the cloak then they are allowed all the rights of being in combat including piling in to the unit with the cloak, but they still cannot attack the bearer and has to complete the attacking unit's combat step.

Hmm, what about other relics that give you an "improved frightfull touch" like on a hit roll of 6+ the target suffers 2 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends.
Wouldnt that stack with normal frightfull touch also, so the attack will do 3 mortal wounds?

The scales or the cloak would really help my Knight of shrouds on etheral steed out, last game i kinda just charged in to his "death" *No pun intended*
If i've done the match correct the scales would really drag down the precentage of succsessfull damage to him.
First a 4+ save ignoring rend, then a 4+ on each mortal wound allocated to him, and THEN deathless minions from GHoN or Deathless spirits from Nighthaunts giving him another roll after that to ignore on a 6+, because as far as i know they would stack.

10 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Hmm, what about other relics that give you an "improved frightfull touch" like on a hit roll of 6+ the target suffers 2 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends.
Wouldnt that stack with normal frightfull touch also, so the attack will do 3 mortal wounds?

The scales or the cloak would really help my Knight of shrouds on etheral steed out, last game i kinda just charged in to his "death" *No pun intended*
If i've done the match correct the scales would really drag down the precentage of succsessfull damage to him.
First a 4+ save ignoring rend, then a 4+ on each mortal wound allocated to him, and THEN deathless minions from GHoN or Deathless spirits from Nighthaunts giving him another roll after that to ignore on a 6+, because as far as i know they would stack.

Again I'm not sure about that situation. Maybe you can ask that in the "Rules Questions" section of the forum because I'm quite curious myself.

That sounds about right. I haven't seen any rulings for it but you should be able to stack "Feel no pain" rules. This was fixed in 40k but I don't see any rulings for Age of Sigmar.

9 hours ago, MrRoff said:

Damage Saves (FNP) do stack, which is why Ossefic Diadem is so good in a skeleton army. 

However, you can't use 4+ ignore mortal wound to ignore regular wound.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Takaloy said:

Damage Saves (FNP) do stack, which is why Ossefic Diadem is so good in a skeleton army. 

However, you can't use 4+ ignore mortal wound to ignore regular wound.

Thanks!

Yeah i know i can't use 4+ ignore mortal wound to ignore regular wounds, its just a +4 to any allocated mortal wounds.
Would that mean that if for example "Lord executioner" if i would give him the scales he would have a save after save after save?

Example: First regular+4 save, if failed = Ignax’s Scale +4 to ignore mortal wounds, Disembodied Skulls, on a +5 to ignore mortal wound, and then Deathless spirits ignore on a 6+ ? Sounds really cheesy to me

3 minutes ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Well, I guess your sequence is correct. but there wouldn't be the first regular +4 save for any mortal wounds. You'd have to skip that. "Just" 4+ save for Ignax's Scale, 5+ Save for Disembodied Skulls and 6+ Save for Deathleass Spirits for any mortal wounds.

Nono, just a regular +4 save against the attack, if i fail it would be mortal wounds allocated.

I don't want to be offensive but I'm not sure whether you got the difference between normal and mortal wounds. :)

There are normal wounds allocated by most of the attacks made within the combat phase and there are also mortal wounds allocated for example by casts like the arcane bolt.

It's written on page 7:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/ENG_AoSSW_Rules_booklet_web.pdf

So Ignax's Scale and Disembodied Skulls won't save your Executioner against any "normal" attacks neither does your normal save help you against any mortal wounds. Just the 6+ Deathless Spirit would work for both.

If I missunderstood anything and you already knew this, simply ignore my text. :-D

Edited by Sneedlewoods

13 minutes ago, Sneedlewoods said:

I don't want to be offensive but I'm not sure whether you got the difference between normal and mortal wounds. :)

There are normal wounds allocated by most of the attacks made within the combat phase and there are also mortal wounds allocated for example by casts like the arcane bolt.

It's written on page 7:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/ENG_AoSSW_Rules_booklet_web.pdf

So Ignax's Scale and Disembodied Skulls won't save your Executioner against any "normal" attacks neither does your normal save help you against any mortal wounds. Just the 6+ Deathless Spirit would work for both.

If I missunderstood anything and you already knew this, simply ignore my text. ?

Oh, yeah sorry for my poor explenation, im tired and English is my third language and i just started playing AoS a couple of months ago!
Just used to meet people with alot of mortal wounds attacks/abilities/spells thats all.

Btw you all

What do you think about people who takes "for example" the necromancer from Mortis Egine and puts him on a base himself and play him as an Necromancer unit? Same with the Coven throne Vampires ?

What i'm asking is if you think that's ok?

Got an friend who altered his sniper unit so it's about 1" taller that it should be, making it able to se over some of the scenery on the map, making it kinda cheating?

Edited by MrRoff

3 hours ago, MrRoff said:

What do you think about people who takes "for example" the necromancer from Mortis Egine and puts him on a base himself and play him as an Necromancer unit? Same with the Coven throne Vampires ?

I use the Mortis Engine Necro as a regular Necro.  Not sure I understand why it would be a problem?

39 minutes ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

I use the Mortis Engine Necro as a regular Necro.  Not sure I understand why it would be a problem?

Length of the miniature, if you make him stand on a hill of dirt, he will be taler than a normal Necromancer, and could cast spells over scenery, where you couldnt be able to see otherwise

1 minute ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

Cut the legs off your minis so they are an inch shorter to balance it out?  Lol.

Couldn't you just agree with your friend to measure LoS from a point 1" lower?

Yeah sure! It's no problem when you're palying with friends :)
But in turnaments i think they are really harsh on the rules

4 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

But in turnaments i think they are really harsh on the rules

As they should be...

A bunch of WAAC players going to town on each other, trying to cheese each other out. 

Here we can’t even talk about where the heroic part of the coven throne ends and where the mount starts without things getting heated.

And suddenly, in the match for the win, your opponent unbinds your spell because his mage is standing on tiptoes... what would you think about that?!

1 hour ago, Honk said:

As they should be...

A bunch of WAAC players going to town on each other, trying to cheese each other out. 

Here we can’t even talk about where the heroic part of the coven throne ends and where the mount starts without things getting heated.

And suddenly, in the match for the win, your opponent unbinds your spell because his mage is standing on tiptoes... what would you think about that?!

Exactly my point!

My dear friends, we are all cut from the same rotted cloth. There is no need to fight. We all serve the great Lord and his grand scheme to steal back the souls that are rightfully his. Why fight among ourselves when we can blindingly march together toward that objective and hold it with due haste! 

Papa Nagash told us to sit here and hold this point for 5 turns and by golly we're going to do it and like it!

• Haha 2

As Lemon knuckles already said, you'll have to make a fair arraangement with your mate. In my gaming group we simply agreed on which scenery your units can see through and for all other matters in measuring we said you can see through anything except behemoths but independent of height - just base to base. Some kind of house rules which make gaming easier and avoid some trouble.

I don't know how any tournaments handle this kind of problems. o.O

I've recently been working my way back into the sword and sorcery side of Warhammer and having played Vampire Counts a few times back at the end of 7th/start of 8th (it was a borrowed army) I have a soft spot deep in my shriveled heart for the Legions of Nagash. Now the closest thing I can see that fits that is a Deathrattle focused army backed by a Vampire of some sort, but as much as I've been rolling around the army in my head instead of sleeping I'm not quite sussing out an effective army just yet.

If it helps I'm definitely leaning more towards a horde army than an elite one and I only play casually so I don't have a lot of desire for an unstoppable beatstick of an army as much as a fun one that can win some games.

Also, I really dig the Black Coach model, is there a way to make that work in an army without shooting myself in the foot? I really want to pick one up but I'd hate for it to just gather dust because it is useless on the table.

23 hours ago, Honk said:

We can if we try!  Deeply and truly sorry to all...  I tried to stay rational.  My forehead is still bloody from the wall.  

I will be better!  Don't give up on me!  ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

Really curious about this too.  I often like to do custom work on my bases, not to be gamey, but because it looks cool.  And now I'm worried I might have f---d myself?!

Not too much to worry about bases in the tournaments. A lot of the treatment depends on how you relate to your bases. If you use your bases to take advantage from the "conversion" or "appealing" the basing is seen bad, otherways is only welcome and quite praised about.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

And now I'm worried I might have f---d myself?!

Always depends on the details. 

I‘m not a tournament player (except in our local club) and I field square bases, since my throne and wolves came with them. Damn you G-Dubs... And i‘m not trying anything funny on mancer-bro, my first model from '93.

If your in doubt, two simple things:

1. would you object, if the base composition is used against you?

2. ask the TO, if they’re ok with it, enemy might cry, but such is life...