AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I would do 3 things to hit Nagash personally.

*Change Hand of Dust (too swingy imo, and most certainly an NPE when it goes off).
*Make it so the 2nd spell portal must be placed further than 9" from enemy models (mostly to stop the portal/HoD combo).
*When casting realm spells, all wizards ignore bonuses to casting rolls (this is for more than just Nagash).

for me the thing I would like to change for Nagash and realms:

-hand of dust becomes 2d6 or 4d3 MW instead of insta-kill (I would change all abilities in the game that just slain model by this)

-I like how the new portal works and another nerf could kill it for a lot of list

-realm spells should be selected like any other extra spells. the only reason why it's broken is because every wizards know all of them. with this simple change realm spells would be way more balance.

12 hours ago, Cursed said:

-realm spells should be selected like any other extra spells. the only reason why it's broken is because every wizards know all of them. with this simple change realm spells would be way more balance.

Banishment (even post nerf) and that +1 damage buff would still be too good and need separate nerfs, but otherwise realm spells should be selected like faction spells (and instead of faction spells, a wizard should be able to choose one or the other, not both, just like realm artifacts are chosen instead of and not in addition to faction artefacts).  And they should be based on your realm of origin, not the realm you're fighting in, both to add extra character to your army and so that you can choose them as part of list construction before selecting the realm for the game, and so that you can convert models to represent the specific spells they know if you wish to do so.  Maybe give them a slight bonus if playing in the matching realm, like +1 to cast or something.

Or at least the realm spell lores in malign sorcery should work like that.  The one or two mostly minor spells that are part of the realm rules themselves can be left as is.  I like the idea of wizards being able to pull some spells from the essence of whatever plane they're on, but every wizard knowing like 8 additional spells is just way too much.  Even apart from balance issues for nagash, it causes a lot of slowdown in games with players who havent memorized all those spells, which maybe you could expect of tournament players, but given that the spells are part of a separately packaged supplement box its not fair to expect your opponent has ever even read the realm spell rules before in casual games.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Or at least the realm spell lores in malign sorcery should work like that.  The one or two mostly minor spells that are part of the realm rules themselves can be left as is.  I like the idea of wizards being able to pull some spells from the essence of whatever plane they're on, but every wizard knowing like 8 additional spells is just way too much.  Even apart from balance issues for nagash, it causes a lot of slowdown in games with players who havent memorized all those spells, which maybe you could expect of tournament players, but given that the spells are part of a separately packaged supplement box its not fair to expect your opponent has ever even read the realm spell rules before the game.

Not to get too off topic, but I really wish they would come out with spell decks like the old days. At the very least the realm spells need a deck, to cut down having two additional books on the table.

• Like 1

Hot peanut, what about playing your Nagash list with the 4 morghast, how did that go?

Where you outdeployed or alphaed a lot? Would you have preferred another 40 skeletons instead?

I am really considering making a similar list to yours, just with 30 grimghast instead of skeletons and 4 harbingers instead of 4 archai:-)

The Morghasts are amazing, buff em and go in, they are great at butchering everything in thery range, but switch to Harbringers. You want to go in with them and take as much enemy models as possible so the 3d6 charge is great to reach in first round the enemy. with 6 wounds each and a vamp lord you can heal them also.

I play them as my left or right flank, in the center I have the skeletons and on the other flank my 10 hounds with Nagash as centerpiece.

Edited by Hot Peanut
  • Like 1

Trying something strange for a list. A little top heavy, but I think it's fairly scary with the Realm Spells.

Basically...

Nagash

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon w/ Ethereal Amulet.

Necromancer

30 Reapers.

3 Battleline.

Portal.

Was originally using 4 Morghasts, but an Ethereal Zombie Dragon sounds just as good.

Hi, I am playing AoS, returning from WHFB and haven't played in like 8 years. So I have some old school models from my 7th ed vamps that I want to convert to round bases and think this is a good list to learn the game with? I do have Mannfred, but its on the old cav model so not sure if it counts as the new behemoth guy on the big disk. I want to learn the basics of the game before i get anything and I have all these models.

Is this an ok list to learn the mechanics of the game?

Grand Host of Nagash

Vampire Lord (140) - General - Command Trait : Lord of Nagashizzar - Flying Horror - Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440) - Deathlance & Shield & Chalice - Artefact : Ethereal Amulet - Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb

Necromancer (110) - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread

Vampire Lord (140) - Nightmare - Lore of the Vampires : Amethystine Pinions

UNITS

40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

30 x Grave Guard (420) -Great Wight Blades

1950 Points, 1 Cmd Point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smavo said:

I have my nagash and 20 reapers turning up tomorrow and this is the list I have in mind.

Please help me make this good and pick it apart.

Screenshot_20181016-093325_WH AoS.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-093342_WH AoS.jpg

I would make one chainrasp 40 and the other one 20 to save 40pts

remove soulsnare and take the portals instead with the saved points

split the 15 dire wolves in 3 units or 10/5

Hey y'all what do you think of this for a Grand Host list?

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
LEADERS
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 :  Vile Transference (Vampires)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
- Artefact : Ossific Diadem
UNITS
20 x Grave Guard (240)
-Great White Blades
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-Ancient Spears - Crypt Shields
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Quicksilver Swords (20)
TOTAL: 1950/2000

Edited by josh1989

Hi all.

I finally decided to attack my Legions army. I have all the models, including the full Nighthaunt range, so I can do whatever I want.

I'm still confused as heck as to how to actually build a list. With all the allegiance, alliance, magic, Realm, battalion, etc. stuff it's hard to know if I'm doing it right at all, but that's not the point of this post.

I'm writing here to see what I'm missing about Morghasts. I have 12 so I was excited to finally put them in a list, but when I saw their points I was stunned.

How in the holy schnickschnack are they 110pts each?!!?!

What am I not getting?

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Hi all.

I finally decided to attach my Legions army. I have all the models, including the full Nighthaunt range, so I can do whatever I want.

I'm still confused as heck as to how to actually build a list. With all the allegiance, alliance, magic, Realm, battalion, etc. stuff it's hard to know if I'm doing it right at all, but that's not the point of this post.

I'm writing here to see what I'm missing about Morhgasts. I have 12 so I was excited to finally put them in a list, but when I saw their points I was stunned.

What am I not getting?

Think of Morghasts as Combat heroes. They buff nothing, but 4 attacks with their 3+, 3+, -2, 3 damage profile is something that not many heroes at 110 points have.

Could be better, yes. But they're a nice deterrent I guess? No one likes getting charged by Morghasts unless they have saves after saves.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Well, by the mighty Schnickschnack, I‘ll guess LoN is not supposed to have big hard hitting models. Same with bloodknights.

But 12?!? You got a little excited didn’t you?

3x4 Morghast are 1340 points,

coven throne, and a necro 370 points 

then 10/5/5 wolves for battleline 240 points 

1950  +1 CP

Grand Host Elite Interceptor Force...

7 hours ago, Neffelo said:

Speaking of Morghasts, Is there any consensus on the Weapon Load out? I think the spears have a slight edge, but I am not sure myself. 

Thanks!

one morghast attacking a 4+ save model will do :

halberd: 3 attacks / 2 hits / 1.33 wounds / 1.11 unsaved wounds / 3.33 dmg in average

swords: 5 attacks / 3.33 hits / 2.22 wounds / 1.48 unsaved wounds / 2.96 dmg in average

but the more attacks they get the better gets the halberd and higher the difference gets! So halberd is always the better choice!