AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I can imagine the Axe being 100 points fairly easy. It compares quite well to Comet, Mushroom, or Warp Lightning Vortex (and way better than Purple Sun), and those see play fairly regularly.

I don't think anything compares well to the Warp Lightning Vortex... that thing slings out so much damage it's unreal and the board control is just plain stupid. 

That being said, I think the judgements are pretty solid. They've all got uses, strengths, and weaknesses. If they are pointed well I'll be super happy because none of them seem like an absolute auto include (the skulls are close, but they require your opponent to have wizards and are wasted points if they don't).

I'm really happy with the altar as well. It's providing a serious buff and I really wasn't expecting it to have an 8" aura for priests. Funny enough I don't think I'd ever actually put a priest on it, the most likely candidate would be a bloodsecrator for the cover bonus. 

Yeah. Looks all good. The judgements are more reliable than casting (a 5+ is slightly less probable than a casting value of 8+, but with reroll it is a 55% chance). The judgements fulfill a crucial role for Khorne armies - debuff to hit on shooting units and damage in the back field. It is also good that we have that 8” radius for the altar. At least you can move around a bit. And yes, Khorne seems set up as a anti-magic/anti-meta army. However, I am still not certain whether mortals get stronger in the end.

I believe that the priests get a rule of one - also for those prayers on the scroll (so, with the judgements you will be able to deal similar damage, but it will be more difficult and much more costly - prices for those judgements cannot be low). Maybe we will even see a limit on how many prayers priests can perform a turn. It is possible. Wizards have the same limitations. And before the points are clear, nothing’s said and done.

Side note: Deamon players won’t like that the central model is a priest now, besides the Bloodsecrator.

I would've liked for the Altar to not just revolve around Priests and magic, but something for the actual army as well/instead. This way the supposedly fightiest combatiest army across the eight realms is still overshadowed by worship and prayers. IMHO GW has gotten lost in their own trail of ideas here.

That's not to say the Judgements aren't cool or anything.

• Like 2

Just now, Bjornas said:

I would've liked for the Altar to not just revolve around Priests and magic, but something for the actual army as well/instead. This way the supposedly fightiest combatiest army across the eight realms is still overshadowed by worship and prayers. IMHO GW has gotten lost in their own trail of ideas here.

That's not to say the Judgements aren't cool or anything.

I imagined at the very first mentioning of a scenery  piece just a huge pile of skulls. And doubled Blood Tithe Points around it. :D

• Like 1

Just now, Surtur said:

I imagined at the very first mentioning of a scenery  piece just a huge pile of skulls. And doubled Blood Tithe Points around it. :D

Yeah, I am definitely converting my own Altar. Thinking something like an Order ruin (as if it's been recently invaded) with recently decapitated Stormcasts around it. Should attract Khorne's attention.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I could see the Brass Icon one being pretty good too, bravery bombing is kinda underrated right now.

So far they've mentioned Khorgoraths in both articles. If I can still do the Skulltake battalion, pair it with the new Skullfiend tribe command ability, and shoot the brass icon out in advance of a wave of khorgoraths, I'm gonna have SO MUCH FUN!

• Like 1

In theory, with the wrath axe we have an effective similar range to the ole blood boil bomb of old 16"... now let take a couple assumptions

1st lets assume no repeat prayers....and lets also assume that the priest get one warscroll prayer, and one out of the book...so effective 2 prays per turn....finally lets assume that sacrificing one prayer attempt lets em roll for a judgement. 

With those thoughts in mind, a single priest can blood boil at 16" (D6 mortals), on a 5+w/rr summon the axe within 8, that moves 8 (effective 16") that does D3 mortals as it moves over and D6 mortals within 3" after its done thats 2xD6 mortals + D3 Mortals at about 15 or so inches from ONE model 

I think they are moving away from the reliance of multiple priests....and making just one a BIG deal (of course i will run a 2nd for redundancy, but you get what i mean)

Edited by Oreaper84

Well Im really happy with the last reveal. Wether or not we will use these Khorne Judgements or not, I am a big fan of bases who just can be obnoxious pieces at worst. Any added field control for Khorne is very welcome, especially considering how glass cannony some of our units can be.

Having said that, it all boils down to points. In addition for the buffs it's a given certain pieces will be nerfed aswell. What comes out on top is fully unknown to us. :) 

55 minutes ago, Zamik said:

So far they've mentioned Khorgoraths in both articles. If I can still do the Skulltake battalion, pair it with the new Skullfiend tribe command ability, and shoot the brass icon out in advance of a wave of khorgoraths, I'm gonna have SO MUCH FUN!

This could be cool. Though to fair I think we will have way less Battalions. As before I think we can expect the 4 big Battalions to be gone and incorporated into the rules. Then logic would tell me 8 Battalions would be fitting for Khorne, and sufficient. 4 Daemon focused, 4 Mortal focused.

I wouldn't be suprised to not have Gore Pilgrims around to be honest. 

44 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

In theory, with the wrath axe we have an effective similar range to the ole blood boil bomb of old 16"... now let take a couple assumptions

1st lets assume no repeat prayers....and lets also assume that the priest get one warscroll prayer, and one out of the book...so effective 2 prays per turn....finally lets assume that sacrificing one prayer attempt lets em roll for a judgement. 

With those thoughts in mind, a single priest can blood boil at 16" (D6 mortals), on a 5+w/rr summon the axe within 8, that moves 8 (effective 16") that does D3 mortals as it moves over and D6 mortals within 3" after its done thats 2xD6 mortals + D3 Mortals at about 15 or so inches from ONE model 

I think they are moving away from the reliance of multiple priests....and making just one a BIG deal (of course i will run a 2nd for redundancy, but you get what i mean)

Yeah a priest semi ranged army could be an option. Though with this in mind (and as above) I doubt they will keep Gore Pilgrims in, they might, but with the terrain piece it would be silly at the costs we have now.

As others have mentioned though, I too think it's quite logical to see a once per turn restriction on all the Khorne prayers, including those the current Slaughterpriests come with.

Though it's still way too early to speculate about anything. 

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

Thing is a lot of Khorne Heroes just plain suck in terms of wounds and saves. Take mighty lord of khorne. in theory, this model can output a ton of damage with the right build, but it nearly always gets stomped because it's a 6 wound model with no back-up saves. same holds true for a slaughter priest. 16'' just plain sucks, there's no two ways around it, esp when considering the 24'' range of so many spells.

that said, new judgements and shrine are really cool

Edited by kcmerc

My biggest interest is what the points are going to be for the Khorne units and Battalions, so I’m waiting this out.

If you have ever run Bloodcrushers in an army, you will know their damage output is poor. 

The mortal wounds ability on the charge is good . But only on the charge, most player already defend against this , with chaff. Then counter charge the unit.

I’m so looking forward to this book , new battalions, points , etc

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dan.Ford said:

My biggest interest is what the points are going to be for the Khorne units and Battalions, so I’m waiting this out.

If you have ever run Bloodcrushers in an army, you will know their damage output is poor. 

The mortal wounds ability on the charge is good . But only on the charge, most player already defend against this , with chaff. Then counter charge the unit.

Do you think you'll be jumping back to them for tournaments?

I know there was at least one where you played a different army.

1 hour ago, Dan.Ford said:

I dont think Bloodcrushers are changing points, they already changed with wrath and rapture. So the only hope for additional change for them would be the skullmaster herald and battalions.

11 hours ago, Killax said:

I doubt they will keep Gore Pilgrims in, they might, but with the terrain piece it would be silly at the costs we have now.

It should be noted that the Altar doesn't grant rerolls of Blessings, just Prayers and Judgements.

4 hours ago, Easytyger said:

How did the bloodletters do with the unmodified 6s for MWs?  

Omg , you notice the different.

Normally I  would have killing frenzy +1 and the +1 from 30 bloodletters.

Its a big loss, when 30 cost 320 point and bloodletters get 1 Attack as basic.

They just do not have the same efficiency as Reapers, Bestigor,  etc

With luck the new book will smash this out of the park:)

2 hours ago, Roark said:

It should be noted that the Altar doesn't grant rerolls of Blessings, just Prayers and Judgements.

True, it speaks of prayer and judgement rolls. However, Gorepilgrims speaks of “Bloodfuled Prayers and Blood Blessings”. I assume that judgement rolls are different from prayer rolls, but that they will subsume Bloodfuled Prayers and Blood Blessings unser prayer  rolls. Anything else feels silly and, more importantly, complicated.

33 minutes ago, Surtur said:

True, it speaks of prayer and judgement rolls. However, Gorepilgrims speaks of “Bloodfuled Prayers and Blood Blessings”. I assume that judgement rolls are different from prayer rolls, but that they will subsume Bloodfuled Prayers and Blood Blessings unser prayer  rolls. Anything else feels silly and, more importantly, complicated.

I'm hoping they remove the distinction between blood blessings and prayers. At the end of the day, blood blessings ARE prayers, they just have a different name for no particular reason.

3 hours ago, Roark said:

It also reduces the flexibility of priests as they will be tied to it as opposed to the option of moving them. Plus no blood secrator buff.

For both those reasons I think pilgrims will still be a thing - whether it is worth it is another question though as the alters presence clearly makes other battalions worth it.

Can some one please tell gw that making khorgoraths fun and usable with for the brass citadel means they need to give khornes greatest khorgorath Scaarac The Bloodborne the khorgorath keyword!

If this does not happen I Will be more angry than the Blood God himself.

Scaarac is hot garbage and allowing him to reroll all is failed hits and wounds would make him fieldable again and could big if COULD lead to some competitive khorgorath lists that look diverse and have a cool center piece vs just having 6 of the same khorgoraths running around.

For the love if khorne add khorgorath to scaaracs warscroll gw.

Edited by Judicator

41 minutes ago, Judicator said:

Can some one please tell gw that making khorgoraths fun and usable with for the brass citadel means they need to give khornes greatest khorgorath Scaarac The Bloodborne the khorgorath keyword!

If this does not happen I Will be more angry than the Blood God himself.

Scaarac is hot garbage and allowing him to reroll all is failed hits and wounds would make him fieldable again and could big if COULD lead to some competitive khorgorath lists that look diverse and have a cool center piece vs just having 6 of the same khorgoraths running around.

For the love if khorne add khorgorath to scaaracs warscroll gw.

I would also like to request his old command ability to come back, I bought him and never had a chance to use my him in my monster mash list before they changed it.

• Like 1