AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

No solo Korgorath is a bit depressing.

5 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I'd like to see the characters in the brass despoiler battalion be able to take gifts and artefacts in this book

Unlikely but who knows.

GW seems to be on the design road of making battletomes rather strict borders. (which is good on my opinion) 

That being said, BoC seems to be an odd one or rather one big compromise.

Well, I didn´t expect the Endless "Spells" to be bound to a Priest. To be honest this actually bugs me a bit as Slaughterpriests therefore become a mandatory unit which always reduces the possibilities of armybuilding (for example: A mono Deamon list can´t hope to use these Endless "Spells" without a priest?). I actually hoped for a simple "Pay X Bloodtithe Points to cast around any hero" or even "After a units get slain you may place one of these things on the board and pay Bloodtithe as upkeep". There are several possibilieties for a fluffy, diverse, way of using these models and currently gw hinted us a rather insipid solution. Yet I would wait for the warcom-article about these spells, maybe it drops today

• Like 1

Man that article just feels so... Bleh.  No mention of whether unspent tithe points are wasted, so I'm guessing that's staying the same. The new abilities are nice but really 1 and 8 aren't going to be used unless they fix the wasting part. 

Skarbrand doesn't just deal straight damage anymore so mortal wound saves and damage shuffling kick him right in the junk. Skulltaker is still stuck needing a 6 to hit with 3 base attacks. Skullcrushers need to be fielded in units of 6 to actually work properly but they came in units of 3 with all big box sets. Man the only thing I really liked was the khorgorath buffing sub-faction, but there's absolutely 0 indication of an actual khorgorath kit.  What a letdown, I hope the next few articles are a bit better.

Edited by Grimrock
Phrasing
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Man that article just feels so... Bleh.  No mention of whether unspent tithe points are wasted, so I'm guessing that's staying the same. The new abilities are nice but really 1 and 8 aren't really ever going to be used unless they fix the wasting part. 

Skarbrand doesn't just deal straight damage anymore so mortal wound saves and damage shuffling kick him right in the junk. Skulltaker is still stuck needing a 6 to hit with 3 base attacks. Skullcrushers need to be fielded in units of 6 to actually work properly but they came in units of 3 with all big box sets. Man the only thing I really liked was the khorgorath buffing subtraction, but there's absolutely 0 indication of an actual khorgorath kit.  What a letdown, I hope the next few articles are a bit better.

If you were hoping for God-Tier enhancements from the 1st post, then you were setting yourself up for disappointment.  Also in think maybe look a bit deeper into what was revealed. 

Locus of Fury - all deamon units NEAR heros and also those the ARE heros are rerolling hit rolls of 1.....all of em, skull cannons, Bloodthirsters, hounds, skulltaker, everything....that is massive

Reapers of Vengence - a faction with an unmodified 8+ auto unbind that bounces mortals,....not too shabby...

Skull crushers are now mortal wound monsters now...even in 3's....thats a reliable 3 mortal wounds per charge, 6 man units are just icing on the cake

I get that there were expectations and hopes for this release, but its not all doom and gloom...all is not yet revealed, but this teaser has me at least excited

• Like 4

every time a unit dies (friend or foe!), you gain a Blood Tithe point that can be spent on powerful, one-off abilities or summoned Daemons.

If I'm reading that correctly, looks like the Blood tithe system is staying the same. I've used Bloody Exemplar quite alot and that's a clear buff it's getting.

Mighty Skullcrushers - it's not very easy to get every model within 1" when charging. We're also getting extra attacks though. 

Curious to see what happens to the Skullreapers. 

Edited by Bjornas

4 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

If you were hoping for God-Tier enhancements from the 1st post, then you were setting yourself up for disappointment.  Also in think maybe look a bit deeper into what was revealed. 

Locus of Fury - all deamon units NEAR heros and also those the ARE heros are rerolling hit rolls of 1.....all of em, skull cannons, Bloodthirsters, hounds, skulltaker, everything....that is massive

Reapers of Vengence - a faction with an unmodified 8+ auto unbind that bounces mortals,....not too shabby...

Skull crushers are now mortal wound monsters now...even in 3's....thats a reliable 3 mortal wounds per charge, 6 man units are just icing on the cake

I get that there were expectations and hopes for this release, but its not all doom and gloom...all is not yet revealed, but this teaser has me at least excited

I guess I should clarify that there are definitely good things in there, but nothing that addresses what I personally thought were issues.

Just to respond to a few points:

- reapers isn't an 8+ dispel, it's a hard 8. That's less than a 1/6 chance, and only from a single dispel roll from your general. It's really awful

- Skullcrusher damage was abysmal before, and they still sound weak with 3 man units now. 6 man units will be stupid amazing if they don't get a points increase, but then I'd have to buy more and doing the 3 I have was torture enough lol

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

Reapers of Vengence - it says 8,  not 8+,.....

5 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

Reapers of Vengence - it says 8,  not 8+,.....

Well it is also an extra unbind attempt regardless. I'd view the D6 wounds as a bonus. Plus we all know that D6 is ALWAYS gonna end up a 1 or 2 anyway.

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Curious to see what happens to the Skullreapers. 

From the description I assume that they'll drop the self damage portion and make it an unmodified 6 to hit instead of 6+. Makes sense, describing how they worked to my opponent was always a massive chore, but I hope they get a points drop if that happens. 

Edited by Grimrock
Adding a sentence

3 minutes ago, ledha said:

As someone who don't like the current Blood Tithe system and khorne demons, this preview was disapointing. 

fully agree, I will wait for sure to check the whole battletome and warscrolls but preview is a bit disapointing imho

• Like 2

Also while Skarbrands total carnage can have saves against it now those still are not the most common. Also the damage spills over to the whole unit not just the one model. So if you get that 16 against a larger unit it can kill multiple guys instead of just the 1.

• Like 1

Althrough thats only a 13.8% chance (5/36) for the D6 damage on unbind with that new general trait, it is still another way to get unbinds. I just recently noticed how powerfull magical supermacy may be in a game and beeing able to contest that to an enemy without even using mages is quite awesome. For usual two armies having wizzards compete in terms of cast/unbind rolls. It´s like "You can stop me from using my magic as dps source, but I can stop yours too". Kind of a unwritten deal within the rules. Khorne is totaly able to shut it down for a comparable low cost. This Trait is another option to do so as we get another new option for unbinding that is not tied to a unit, a prayer nor an artifact.

I like it

• Like 1

Really hoping blood tithe points are not gone if you use any amount of them. It's really frustrating the way it works now.

Disappointed about Skarbrand, seems like most factions nowadays have one (if not more) MW saves. 

• Like 2

Yeah, not excited by most of this, but it's early days.

Skullreapers being 'simplified' almost certainly means worse, so hopefully they are at least cheaper.

Having Blood Tithe still be our summoning mechanic is disappointing, but we don't have the whole picture yet.

I wasn't really wanting BoK to be the army that constantly prays for 6s to do anything, but hey.

Locus of Fury is straight up amazing if it's a passive always-on aura.

Slaughter Triumphant looks like it will be really good combined with my usual huge swarm (170+ wounds) of cheap maniacs with lots of attacks. If Dark Feast survives the new Tome, it may be worth another look...

We will still need some decent movement shenanigans though... bit nervous about this.